Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ZenFlyer
AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards from BarclayCard
There are five AAdvantage-linked Aviator-branded cards by Barclaycard. Two of them can be applied for directly, the other three are upgrades or downgrades after receiving a Red card.

The Many Flavors of Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator

Where can I see information on all available Barclays Barclaycard AAdvantage cards?

Aviator Red (On AA.com)
Aviator Silver (On AA.com)
Aviator Business (On AA.com)
Aviator Red applications are available at the airport, in flight, or online at https://www.barclaycardus.com/.

Red cardholders may receive an offer to upgrade to Aviator Silver after a period of time that varies, usually 3-11 months. The offer appears in the online "Offers" section, if it is declined there may be no simple way to receive the upgrade. Be careful with your clicking! Silver benefits begin at the start of the next statement, but the increased annual fee won't hit until the next card-member year starts.

Aviator Silver Vs Red
Annual Fee: Silver $199 Red $99
Miles on AA Purchases: Silver 3x Red 2x
Miles on hotels and car rentals: Silver 2x, Red 1x
Miles on all other purchases: Silver 1x, Red 1x
Bonus Loyalty Points: Silver 5k LP after $20k/$40k/$50k Per Status Year Red None
In-Flight Food & Beverage: Silver $25 back/day Red 25% back
Wifi Credits: Silver $50/anniversary year Red $25/anniversary year
Companion Ticket: Silver 2 Companions Red 1 Companion (Minimum Anniversary-Year Spend Required for both)
PreCheck/Global Entry: Silver $100 credit Red No Credit

Card Benefit Details

FlyerTalk thread Citi & Barclaycard AAdvantage Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage

Aviator Silver Bonus Loyalty Points: Bonuses are based on spend during status year, not anniversary year. When upgrading to Silver your Red spending will carry over. Five thousand Loyalty Points after spending $20k/$40k/$50k. You cannot stack multiple Silver accounts to earn this multiple times.

Companion Certificate: $20k in anniversary year spend required, issued about 45 days after you annual fee hits. Red gets one companion, Silver can have two. $99+tax for companions, round-trip 48 contiguous US States only unless you live in Alaska or Hawaii, in which case you may fly from your home state to the 48.

Print Wikipost

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2024, 10:09 am

Programs: AAdvantage PPro
Originally Posted by Tack
Possible data point: I’ve had the Aviator Biz card for about 3 years. Opened the Red card in September and have put just over 30K on it. Called Barclay’s yesterday to cancel the Business card and then asked if I could get an invite for the Silver upgrade, and was approved. I know the consensus is that one has to have Red for a year before the Silver offer. I’m thinking that having any Aviator card in their folio for a year can get the Silver offer?
Did you pay the $99 annual fee for the Red or was it waived the first year?
Old Jan 4, 2024, 11:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Originally Posted by skviolet98
Did you pay the $99 annual fee for the Red or was it waived the first year?
Red was waived, YMMV - but they wouldn't waive the fee on the Biz card due that September for that card was my renewal month, and I cancelled to long after. So it was a bit of a wash. Just glad to have the Biz card out of the rotation as that card never did provide much value. Cheers!
Old Jan 6, 2024, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Has anyone had any luck with them budging on companion cert blackout dates? I had hoped to use it for the solar eclipse this year. Stunned to see just how many blackout dates the certificate carries.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by astroflyer
Has anyone had any luck with them budging on companion cert blackout dates? I had hoped to use it for the solar eclipse this year. Stunned to see just how many blackout dates the certificate carries.
No. I don't think they have any discretion. On one occasion I tried to book a flight that was before a blackout date, but because the connection to my final destination departed on the blackout, I was not allowed to use the certificate.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 12:48 am

Just got the upgrade offer right at a year--opened the Red on 1/1. Statement date is Jan 18. Should I wait for the AF to hit to accept?

Edite: AF to hit 1/31

Last edited by OssianBlue; Jan 8, 2024 at 8:49 pm Reason: More information
Old Jan 8, 2024, 4:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat, Alaska 75k, IHG Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Tack
. Just glad to have the Biz card out of the rotation as that card never did provide much value. Cheers!
FWIW I'm planning to keep my AA Aviator Biz for 3 reasons:

-5% annual miles bump. this is I put almost $150k on it last year, which means I'll have a 7,500 mile bonus upon renewal, which will offset the $95 annual fee, even before the companion pass at $30k. While the silver card and Citi AA Executive card have their own loyalty point bonuses, this is the only AA card which bonuses non-bonus-category spend at all.

-Non reporting. I like that Barclays (and Citi) don't report their business card balances to the credit bureaus. I can make a large purchase on the first day of the billing cycle, and enjoy the float for 50+ days before that balance autopays, without any negative credit implications.

-Not currently available. AA Business hasn't been open to new applications for some time. Who knows whether the card will have the same benefits if and when Barclays reintroduces it.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 2:02 pm

Question re loyalty points calculation

I have Executive Platinum status so I would earn 11x Loyalty Points per dollar spent on an AA flight.

if I charge on an AA Barclay’s card, I would receive 2x Loyalty Points per dollar spent on an AA flight.

Am I correct in assuming these are cumulative? So if I charge an AA flight on a Barclay’s AA card I effectively earn 13x Loyalty Points per dollar spent?

My apologies if this has been asked and answered. I searched and didn’t see anything.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Plat Pro
delete
Old Jan 10, 2024, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by ravenalive
I have Executive Platinum status so I would earn 11x Loyalty Points per dollar spent on an AA flight.

if I charge on an AA Barclay’s card, I would receive 2x Loyalty Points per dollar spent on an AA flight.

Am I correct in assuming these are cumulative? So if I charge an AA flight on a Barclay’s AA card I effectively earn 13x Loyalty Points per dollar spent?

My apologies if this has been asked and answered. I searched and didn’t see anything.
Why / how do you get 2x Loyalty Points on any credit card?
Old Jan 10, 2024, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by ravenalive

Originally Posted by tommybananas
Why / how do you get 2x Loyalty Points on any credit card?
For AA charges to any AA credit card you may earn 2x miles but only 1x Loyalty Points per dollar.

So for an AA purchase, you would earn 1x LP when you buy the ticket on the card, then you would earn 11x LP when you take the flight, for a total of 12x LP (roughly).

I say roughly because of course for the flying portion you only earn 11x LP on the fare and carrier surcharges, not taxes and fees. For your credit card charge you earn 1x LP on the entire amount including taxes and fees.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 5:25 pm

Thank you.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 8:31 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
Curious.......how many of you here also hold the citi exec cc? worth holding that as well?
Old Jan 11, 2024, 9:01 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by zzrayzz
Curious.......how many of you here also hold the citi exec cc? worth holding that as well?
I hold it for club access and for the LP bonuses I earn due to Barclay Silver spend. Kinda unreal how they offer it. I also utilize the Lyft benefit for work and the Grubhub/seamless benefit since I live in NYC
ramcm7 likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 9:38 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by uppereastsider
I hold it for club access and for the LP bonuses I earn due to Barclay Silver spend. Kinda unreal how they offer it. I also utilize the Lyft benefit for work and the Grubhub/seamless benefit since I live in NYC
Nice! same here in NYC. Didn't realize there was a GH benefit which def helps offset the $595 AF, which brings it down to "$475"

Yeah I just realized that as well (the LP bonus via spend) which is why I am considering getting it. Looks like a no-brainer, open it and get club access, and never put spend on it, but at the same time earn 20k LP "free"/its basically a double dip with the Silver's LP bonus via spend. Definitely makes it a lot easier to hit at least plat pro.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by zzrayzz
Citi Exec also now gives 4X for AA spend as opposed to the 3X on the silver card. In addition, if you have an AU on one of these, you can each take advantage of the Global Entry reimbursement between the two cards.
ramcm7 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.