Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ZenFlyer
AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards from BarclayCard
There are five AAdvantage-linked Aviator-branded cards by Barclaycard. Two of them can be applied for directly, the other three are upgrades or downgrades after receiving a Red card.

The Many Flavors of Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator

Where can I see information on all available Barclays Barclaycard AAdvantage cards?

Aviator Red (On AA.com)
Aviator Silver (On AA.com)
Aviator Business (On AA.com)
Aviator Red applications are available at the airport, in flight, or online at https://www.barclaycardus.com/.

Red cardholders may receive an offer to upgrade to Aviator Silver after a period of time that varies, usually 3-11 months. The offer appears in the online "Offers" section, if it is declined there may be no simple way to receive the upgrade. Be careful with your clicking! Silver benefits begin at the start of the next statement, but the increased annual fee won't hit until the next card-member year starts.

Aviator Silver Vs Red
Annual Fee: Silver $199 Red $99
Miles on AA Purchases: Silver 3x Red 2x
Miles on hotels and car rentals: Silver 2x, Red 1x
Miles on all other purchases: Silver 1x, Red 1x
Bonus Loyalty Points: Silver 5k LP after $20k/$40k/$50k Per Status Year Red None
In-Flight Food & Beverage: Silver $25 back/day Red 25% back
Wifi Credits: Silver $50/anniversary year Red $25/anniversary year
Companion Ticket: Silver 2 Companions Red 1 Companion (Minimum Anniversary-Year Spend Required for both)
PreCheck/Global Entry: Silver $100 credit Red No Credit

Card Benefit Details

FlyerTalk thread Citi & Barclaycard AAdvantage Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage

Aviator Silver Bonus Loyalty Points: Bonuses are based on spend during status year, not anniversary year. When upgrading to Silver your Red spending will carry over. Five thousand Loyalty Points after spending $20k/$40k/$50k. You cannot stack multiple Silver accounts to earn this multiple times.

Companion Certificate: $20k in anniversary year spend required, issued about 45 days after you annual fee hits. Red gets one companion, Silver can have two. $99+tax for companions, round-trip 48 contiguous US States only unless you live in Alaska or Hawaii, in which case you may fly from your home state to the 48.

Print Wikipost

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2023, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by ramcm7
Read through this thread. Your card number should remain the same and all activity YTD should carry forward to the Silver. That is the experience of everyone I have seen post in this thread.
Thanks Ramcm7. I have read many of the posts but there are alot and while it does seem that many imply the Red spend posted before moving over to Silver counted for the LP bonus targets on Silver, I haven't seen a post that clearly stated this. Maybe I missed it. Thanks for your help.
Old Jun 16, 2023, 9:28 am

Holy cow. I thought the ability to earn extra LPs on silver was going away last year and only saw it was back when I checked my benefits page. Serves me right for assuming a blogger who acted like he knew what he was talking about actually did. So glad this benefit is still there. It’s basically platinum for $50k in spend — assuming you travel a little and can get the extra 10k (and if you don’t why would you want platinum?) And puts plat pro in pretty easy striking distance. I guess I better get this card back out of the sock drawer! I was ready to cancel at next renewal.
Old Jun 16, 2023, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
I was having an issue for two months September through November getting the $50 Wi-Fi credit with my Silver card. I ended up cancelling due to the frustration of receiving the credit. After multiple online chats and phone calls with customer service Barclays finally issued a courtesy credit. (It took an additional chat and call to request a credit balance refund.) I closed the card right before the annual fee posted late last year.

Imagine my surprised when I received an e-mail indicating there was a new statement a few days ago. Guess what finally appeared almost 9 months after the eligible charges? The $50 Wi-Fi credit!

Ultimately this card wasn't compelling enough for me to keep around. There aren't enough category bonuses. If there were 3x travel and dining, including 3x LPs, I'd reconsider.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 5:33 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Plat Pro
I just had a wifi credit about 48 hours after using it.

Also, I had a little over $50k spend on Red before my conversion. The conversion took a little over 10 days and about 3 days after that, I had 15k LP's post - all the spending while Red did count as soon as the conversion to Silver occurred.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 8:05 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tommybananas

Also, I had a little over $50k spend on Red before my conversion. The conversion took a little over 10 days and about 3 days after that, I had 15k LP's post - all the spending while Red did count as soon as the conversion to Silver occurred.
Thanks. This is great to know. How is the annual fee calculated? Is it prorated? My wife has the Red card with the annual fee of $99 coming on 30Jun. If we wait and convert to Silver later in the year, will she pay the full $199 fee? Just wondering how to time the conversion - as I am not certain that I want to do it this year at all. TIA.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 8:48 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Plat Pro
The conversion offer and the paperwork I received later in the mail indicate that the new annual fee of $199 will be charged on my existing anniversary date, so they do not charge a prorated amount for the remainder of the current year upon upgrading to Silver.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 10:49 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
Can someone tell me where does the companion certificate show up (to use)?
Old Jun 21, 2023, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by zzrayzz
Can someone tell me where does the companion certificate show up (to use)?
Under Rewards in your AAdvantage account
zzrayzz likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 2:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
I had a Red Card for several years, from 2014 until 2020 when they closed the account after I hadn't used it for several months. I had moved to AZ and kind of forgot about it. As often happens, they were pushing the Red card on a recent flight and the 70K miles is enticing, especially since there is no minimum purchase within X months. However, the fine print on the application says if one is a current or former card member, one MAY (my emphasis) not be eligible for the bonus. Anyone have any recent experience?
dxtraveler likes this.

Last edited by ILuvParis; Jul 18, 2023 at 2:53 pm
Old Jun 21, 2023, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by tommybananas

Thanks for posting the clearest clarification on this question. Very helpful.
LowValueCustomer likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 8:54 am

Crossed the first 20K threshold on my Aviator card this week. 5K bonus posted this morning, 2-3 day turnaround.

As a poster mentioned upstream, a much welcomed improvement over last year's 4-8 weeks.
D3Kingg likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2023, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by ramcm7
Read through this thread. Your card number should remain the same and all activity YTD should carry forward to the Silver. That is the experience of everyone I have seen post in this thread.
Like tommybananas and ramcm7 have indicated, I had about $40k spend on my Red card from March through May. I applied for Silver in June and before the card even arrived I received the 10k loyalty points bonus for the $20k and $40k spend. I am relieved to know that my spend on Red carried over to Silver, as I had hoped.
Old Jun 24, 2023, 7:59 pm

Programs: AC, AA, TK, OW Emerald
I made the mistake of only monitoring the iPhone app for a silver upgrade offer and hadn't used the website for close to a month.
Today I logged on to the website and saw the upgrade offer.
Approx. $26k in spend since February.
Upgrade date listed as 7/16 (day after statement closure).

Last edited by AirborneLocksmith; Jun 24, 2023 at 8:07 pm
Old Jun 24, 2023, 8:12 pm
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
Opened my card March 1 and have put over $70K spend on it in the four months through the of end of June. Still no Silver upgrade offer on the app or website.
Old Jul 6, 2023, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Clicked through the Silver upgrade process for my wife's Aviator Red card. Statement should've closed yesterday but today I don't see any change on her account. After clicking through the upgrade links, we did not see anything or receive any confirmation that she has the Silver card now. Guess I'll call them to confirm? Weird.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.