Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ZenFlyer
AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards from BarclayCard
There are five AAdvantage-linked Aviator-branded cards by Barclaycard. Two of them can be applied for directly, the other three are upgrades or downgrades after receiving a Red card.

The Many Flavors of Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator

Where can I see information on all available Barclays Barclaycard AAdvantage cards?

Aviator Red (On AA.com)
Aviator Silver (On AA.com)
Aviator Business (On AA.com)
Aviator Red applications are available at the airport, in flight, or online at https://www.barclaycardus.com/.

Red cardholders may receive an offer to upgrade to Aviator Silver after a period of time that varies, usually 3-11 months. The offer appears in the online "Offers" section, if it is declined there may be no simple way to receive the upgrade. Be careful with your clicking! Silver benefits begin at the start of the next statement, but the increased annual fee won't hit until the next card-member year starts.

Aviator Silver Vs Red
Annual Fee: Silver $199 Red $99
Miles on AA Purchases: Silver 3x Red 2x
Miles on hotels and car rentals: Silver 2x, Red 1x
Miles on all other purchases: Silver 1x, Red 1x
Bonus Loyalty Points: Silver 5k LP after $20k/$40k/$50k Per Status Year Red None
In-Flight Food & Beverage: Silver $25 back/day Red 25% back
Wifi Credits: Silver $50/anniversary year Red $25/anniversary year
Companion Ticket: Silver 2 Companions Red 1 Companion (Minimum Anniversary-Year Spend Required for both)
PreCheck/Global Entry: Silver $100 credit Red No Credit

Card Benefit Details

FlyerTalk thread Citi & Barclaycard AAdvantage Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage

Aviator Silver Bonus Loyalty Points: Bonuses are based on spend during status year, not anniversary year. When upgrading to Silver your Red spending will carry over. Five thousand Loyalty Points after spending $20k/$40k/$50k. You cannot stack multiple Silver accounts to earn this multiple times.

Companion Certificate: $20k in anniversary year spend required, issued about 45 days after you annual fee hits. Red gets one companion, Silver can have two. $99+tax for companions, round-trip 48 contiguous US States only unless you live in Alaska or Hawaii, in which case you may fly from your home state to the 48.

Print Wikipost

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2023, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by Rossodio
Try calling their customer service number and asking for an upgrade; that is what I did and they approved it over the phone that same day. This was about 5 years ago. My understanding at the time is that you had to have had the card for 6 months or more (maybe 12 or more?) before being considered.

Worst case scenario is that they say no, so what do you have to lose? I would give it a try.
Originally Posted by awslattery
Applied and approved 06/13/2023 for Aviator Red, no prior history with Barclays.

Received offer to upgrade to Aviator Silver on 10/13/2023, effective date 11/13/2023, with new AF posting 06/13/2024 per offer.

$1,184.43 total spend to date on card, and a small balance transfer shortly after receiving SUB.
Originally Posted by ER-One
Silver Offer DP:
Applied and approved for my first Red card June 2023. Have been waiting for a Silver offer in the app, but never showed.
Called CS for the first time today to see if could upgrade, and the offer was available over the phone, but not in my app.

Took the offer...
These posts inspired me to call in about an upgrade. There was no offer available for me. I guess I'll try back after my one year anniversary.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 12:30 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by gold644
Has anyone got their bonus miles from this promotion to post yet? I met these terms but am still waiting....

Nope. I met all terms. The progress meter never moved on AA.

i called in. and also sent an email to [email protected] and called to ask what was up. They sent me a letter telling me I was not targeted for that offer. I called back and provided the offer number…had some back and forth…they even called AA for me….finally AA Said I DID meet the terms and the offer was in fact targeted to me…was told it’ll be 8-10 weeks for the bonus points to post.

That was last week.

Last edited by 355F1; Oct 18, 2023 at 8:45 am
Old Oct 18, 2023, 9:30 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by 355F1
i called in. and also sent an email to [email protected] and called to ask what was up.
This is a Barclay's offer, not Citi's.
aztimm likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 10:09 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by TWA884
This is a Barclay's offer, not Citi's.
wow....I got the SAME EXACT OFFER but for my AA Citi card! 😳
Old Oct 19, 2023, 9:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Johnnie Walker Blue
Originally Posted by ER-One
Silver Offer DP:
Applied and approved for my first Red card June 2023. Have been waiting for a Silver offer in the app, but never showed.
Called CS for the first time today to see if could upgrade, and the offer was available over the phone, but not in my app.

Took the offer...
Similar timing here. Not in the app, but there when logging in to the website.
Old Oct 22, 2023, 7:22 am

I am debating signing up for the red to get the current welcome bonus- what is their language (I cannot seem to find it) on when you can re-apply? I received a welcome bonus in 2017 and 2021 - so I would be good in 24 months, but not 48 months (or lifetime).

edit- I just see they state "This offer is valid for approved applicants. Any bonus associated with this offer may only be earned once. You may not be eligible for this offer if you currently have or previously had an account with us in this program."

is this a hard and fast rule? I know some times this verbiage is stated and but if you get approved, you still get the bonus - so wasn't sure if you are NOT eligible you will NOT get approved for the card. I don't want to get approved if I do not get the offer as I current have the citi personal and business card so do not have a need for another AA card.

thanks all
Old Oct 22, 2023, 10:04 am

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Scotttyd
I am debating signing up for the red to get the current welcome bonus- what is their language (I cannot seem to find it) on when you can re-apply? I received a welcome bonus in 2017 and 2021 - so I would be good in 24 months, but not 48 months (or lifetime).

edit- I just see they state "This offer is valid for approved applicants. Any bonus associated with this offer may only be earned once. You may not be eligible for this offer if you currently have or previously had an account with us in this program."

is this a hard and fast rule? I know some times this verbiage is stated and but if you get approved, you still get the bonus - so wasn't sure if you are NOT eligible you will NOT get approved for the card. I don't want to get approved if I do not get the offer as I current have the citi personal and business card so do not have a need for another AA card.

thanks all
Data points seems to say you can churn. As long as you canceled more than 12 months ago and don’t hold the same card.
Old Oct 22, 2023, 11:49 am

Just a DP on the Red to Silver upgrade offer:

Opened Red on June 7, 2023 and made the single purchase to get the SUB. I haven't made any purchases on the card since. I didn't see the upgrade offer when I've logged in via Barclays app, but just saw it when I logged in via web browser on my PC. Don't plan on taking the offer as of now unless there is somehow a bonus attached to it (didn't see language for one).
Old Oct 22, 2023, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by RedElmo
Data points seems to say you can churn. As long as you canceled more than 12 months ago and don’t hold the same card.
thanks

any data points on people getting approved for the card but NOT getting the bonus? Just trying to avoid paying an fee and not getting any benefits
Old Oct 24, 2023, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by 355F1
Nope. I met all terms. The progress meter never moved on AA.

i called in. and also sent an email to [email protected] and called to ask what was up. They sent me a letter telling me I was not targeted for that offer. I called back and provided the offer number…had some back and forth…they even called AA for me….finally AA Said I DID meet the terms and the offer was in fact targeted to me…was told it’ll be 8-10 weeks for the bonus points to post.
I received the first two bonuses (in my case LPs for spend on my Citi MileUp card), but not the 1500 and 2000 LPs. Time to call Citi, I guess.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 11:50 am

Programs: Delta, AA
Barclays Silver Loyalty point question

I have the Barclays AA Silver MasterCard, which earns 3X AAdvantage miles when spending with AA. If I purchase a ticket for $1000 I earn 3000 Advantage miles/points. Do I earn 1000 Loyalty points or, in this case, 3000 Loyalty points because the purchase was through AA?
Old Oct 26, 2023, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by snackyx
I have the Barclays AA Silver MasterCard, which earns 3X AAdvantage miles when spending with AA. If I purchase a ticket for $1000 I earn 3000 Advantage miles/points. Do I earn 1000 Loyalty points or, in this case, 3000 Loyalty points because the purchase was through AA?
You earn 3000 miles on the purchase.
You earn 1000 LPs on the purchase.
Plus some earnings when you actually fly.
Old Oct 29, 2023, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by jazz12pg
You even get more value from the purchase because of the 25% discount on food and beverage by using the card, so you can get items that cost $31.25, get charged $25 after the discount and then get the $25 credit.
So the 25% discount also applies to the Aviator Silver? I see it listed as an Aviator Red bonus but only saw the $25 refund for the silver. Are you saying the silver gets both even though they don't mention the 25% discount (or perhaps I just missed where they mention it).
Old Nov 2, 2023, 4:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Has Barclay stopped including SUB confirmation in the mailed letter? For as long as I remember, they've included that info. Did not see it in my new Aviator Red letter.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 6:14 pm

Location: CP-ASEL,AMEL,G-IA in Tucson, Arizona, United States
Btw I received what appears to be a targeted promo (and the T&C language indicates that some Citi cardholders will receive it too). One extra RDM and one extra LP per dollar spent on eligible AA purchases that post to the billing statement by November 30 so long as the mileage from the purchases post to AA by December 31. Registration deadline for the promo is November 6. Could be a toss-up for certain people who normally use AMEX for the 5x bonus depending on individual circumstances.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.