Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ZenFlyer
AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards from BarclayCard
There are five AAdvantage-linked Aviator-branded cards by Barclaycard. Two of them can be applied for directly, the other three are upgrades or downgrades after receiving a Red card.

The Many Flavors of Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator

Where can I see information on all available Barclays Barclaycard AAdvantage cards?

Aviator Red (On AA.com)
Aviator Silver (On AA.com)
Aviator Business (On AA.com)
Aviator Red applications are available at the airport, in flight, or online at https://www.barclaycardus.com/.

Red cardholders may receive an offer to upgrade to Aviator Silver after a period of time that varies, usually 3-11 months. The offer appears in the online "Offers" section, if it is declined there may be no simple way to receive the upgrade. Be careful with your clicking! Silver benefits begin at the start of the next statement, but the increased annual fee won't hit until the next card-member year starts.

Aviator Silver Vs Red
Annual Fee: Silver $199 Red $99
Miles on AA Purchases: Silver 3x Red 2x
Miles on hotels and car rentals: Silver 2x, Red 1x
Miles on all other purchases: Silver 1x, Red 1x
Bonus Loyalty Points: Silver 5k LP after $20k/$40k/$50k Per Status Year Red None
In-Flight Food & Beverage: Silver $25 back/day Red 25% back
Wifi Credits: Silver $50/anniversary year Red $25/anniversary year
Companion Ticket: Silver 2 Companions Red 1 Companion (Minimum Anniversary-Year Spend Required for both)
PreCheck/Global Entry: Silver $100 credit Red No Credit

Card Benefit Details

FlyerTalk thread Citi & Barclaycard AAdvantage Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage

Aviator Silver Bonus Loyalty Points: Bonuses are based on spend during status year, not anniversary year. When upgrading to Silver your Red spending will carry over. Five thousand Loyalty Points after spending $20k/$40k/$50k. You cannot stack multiple Silver accounts to earn this multiple times.

Companion Certificate: $20k in anniversary year spend required, issued about 45 days after you annual fee hits. Red gets one companion, Silver can have two. $99+tax for companions, round-trip 48 contiguous US States only unless you live in Alaska or Hawaii, in which case you may fly from your home state to the 48.

Print Wikipost

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2023, 9:21 am

I was legit going to ask a question about likelihood of getting signup bonus on Aviator Red if I've previously had card (most recently closed in Aug 2019)...and prior post has comment on this exact subject. Love Flyertalk!

So instead...any data points on how charitable Barclay's has been on approving "individual sole proprietorships" =) for the Aviator World Business Elite MC these days (most recently closed Dec 2020)?

Thinking maybe try and double dip for the 60K on Aviator Red + 80K on Aviator World Business Elite.
Old Jan 28, 2023, 10:48 am

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by dgilligan02
I was legit going to ask a question about likelihood of getting signup bonus on Aviator Red if I've previously had card (most recently closed in Aug 2019)...and prior post has comment on this exact subject. Love Flyertalk!

So instead...any data points on how charitable Barclay's has been on approving "individual sole proprietorships" =) for the Aviator World Business Elite MC these days (most recently closed Dec 2020)?

Thinking maybe try and double dip for the 60K on Aviator Red + 80K on Aviator World Business Elite.
As the poster quoted above, my experience was kinda close to a double-dip. In my most recent example (April of last year) I applied for the Red card in April and then applied for my second Aviator Business in early May (about 2 weeks apart). I wasn't insta-approved for the business card but 10min after applying an analyst called me, asked me a few questions about my sole-prop, and told me I was at max exposure with Barclays (they approved me for 30k on the Red) but I could pull whatever amount I wanted from my Red card to open the business card and he'd approve it.

If your credit is good and you don't have a ton of new accounts opened in the last 24 months (Barclays has a soft 6/24 rule they sometimes quote for a denial reason), I'm sure you have a good chance.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 1:18 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EP
I've had my current Aviator Red card since August of '22 and I now see an Upgrade offer available to go to Silver. I'm not positive it's worth it to me to do so, but I have a couple questions folks might be able to answer:

1) Is there a time limit to how long the offer will remain available to me? Do they disappear after a while if you don't accept?
2) If I accept the upgrade, will the new AF hit on the first new billing cycle or will it wait until the 1 year card anniversary (I've read that the card number and expiration date remain the same as the Red account).

If the AF does hit right away, and the offer won't expire, I don't see why I wouldn't wait until right before the 1-year anniversary before upgrading. But if the AF waits until the anniversary month, then I may as well upgrade while the offer is here.

3) Has anyone been approved for a new Red card and received the SUB while holding an active Silver card? I think the 60k SUB on Red is worth more to me than the benefits of Silver so I don't want to negate that option in the future by holding the Silver.

Thanks for any input on the above.

As a DP to offer, I have had the Aviator Red a number of times (three times so far at least?), and I have always gotten the SUB when qualifying on each new card. I always waited two years between card closing and new card application, and it's always worked. I no longer see any reference to a 2-year wait period, but I thought that was the requirement in the past. The language is a lot more vague now.
Old Feb 4, 2023, 8:50 am

Follow-up on this for community data points.

I applied for both the Aviator Biz and Personal. Got approved for the Biz after Barclay called me to verify info (I have extended fraud alert on my account after identify theft incident in 2015, so this is par for the course). Got denied on the Personal initially, letter received in the mail stated a need to verify information...called in and was approved after running through the hoops to verify identity.

Player 2 also applied for both Aviator Biz and Personal. Auto approval on the Biz. Reviewal status on the Personal...email of approval a few hours later.

So, ultimately 4/4 on approvals.

For reference both of our "businesses" are very low revenue sole proprietorship's with 1 employee established 5 years ago.

Last edited by dgilligan02; Feb 15, 2023 at 9:55 am
Old Feb 7, 2023, 11:00 pm

Programs: AC, AA, TK, OW Emerald
I recently opened an Aviator Red card account.
Is there a way to see online when the statement date is? I'm looking to start using the card to accumulate LPs for next qualification cycle (3/1/23 - 2/29/24), and I therefore wouldn't want the current billing cycle to close and LPs post before 3/1/23. But I can't figure out how to see the statement date (which day of the month) online.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 1:07 am

Originally Posted by AirborneLocksmith
Is there a way to see online when the statement date is? I'm looking to start using the card to accumulate LPs for next qualification cycle (3/1/23 - 2/29/24), and I therefore wouldn't want the current billing cycle to close and LPs post before 3/1/23. But I can't figure out how to see the statement date (which day of the month) online.
From a desktop, sign in and go to "Activity and Statements" then click on "Statements" and it lists it there. If it's a brand new account and you haven't had a statement close yet, you may need to call or send a secure message (I can't remember if it lists it when the account it new).
Old Feb 8, 2023, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by mikeFT
I've had my current Aviator Red card since August of '22 and I now see an Upgrade offer available to go to Silver. I'm not positive it's worth it to me to do so, but I have a couple questions folks might be able to answer:

1) Is there a time limit to how long the offer will remain available to me? Do they disappear after a while if you don't accept?
2) If I accept the upgrade, will the new AF hit on the first new billing cycle or will it wait until the 1 year card anniversary (I've read that the card number and expiration date remain the same as the Red account).

If the AF does hit right away, and the offer won't expire, I don't see why I wouldn't wait until right before the 1-year anniversary before upgrading. But if the AF waits until the anniversary month, then I may as well upgrade while the offer is here.

3) Has anyone been approved for a new Red card and received the SUB while holding an active Silver card? I think the 60k SUB on Red is worth more to me than the benefits of Silver so I don't want to negate that option in the future by holding the Silver.

Thanks for any input on the above.

As a DP to offer, I have had the Aviator Red a number of times (three times so far at least?), and I have always gotten the SUB when qualifying on each new card. I always waited two years between card closing and new card application, and it's always worked. I no longer see any reference to a 2-year wait period, but I thought that was the requirement in the past. The language is a lot more vague now.
New annual fee does not hit until anniversary. I'm sure the offer will go away eventually but I don't think there are any firm data points.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 11:06 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
My card always uses the posting date, regardless of when the statement date happens to fall. It has been like this as long as I've had the Barclay card (with AA, and before that US).
Old Feb 8, 2023, 11:37 am

Programs: AC, AA, TK, OW Emerald
Originally Posted by aztimm
My card always uses the posting date, regardless of when the statement date happens to fall. It has been like this as long as I've had the Barclay card (with AA, and before that US).
So when the miles are sent from Barclays to AA, they are tagged with the posting date of the associated CC charge rather than Barclays sending a large batch to AA once a month and tagging all miles with the statement closing date? I guess Barclays works different than Chase and Citi, which both send a batch with all miles earned in a month to AA shortly after the cc statement closing date and the miles are tagged with the statement closing date.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 12:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
So when the miles are sent from Barclays to AA, they are tagged with the posting date of the associated CC charge rather than Barclays sending a large batch to AA once a month and tagging all miles with the statement closing date? I guess Barclays works different than Chase and Citi, which both send a batch with all miles earned in a month to AA shortly after the cc statement closing date and the miles are tagged with the statement closing date.
I'm just sharing how it has worked for me over the past ~15 years of having the Barclay card. Perhaps this year will be different.
AirborneLocksmith likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 1:15 pm

I think there's some confusion here. Barclays doesn't batch everyone's miles together, send them together and date them your closing date. They are usually sent a day or two after your statement close date and the miles are dated the day your statement closes (or when they send them if a weekend). Not the day of the individual charge.

For example:
-My Aviator Red's January statement closed 1/19/23 - all my miles from 12/20/22-1/19/23 posted to my account dated 1/19/23
- My Aviator Business card statement closed 1/20/23 - all the miles for that period posted dated 1/20/23
AirborneLocksmith likes this.

Last edited by Drwaz99; Feb 8, 2023 at 1:24 pm
Old Feb 8, 2023, 3:39 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Thanks for sharing your data points. I applied for the Aviator Business Card and got a "review status" on the auto-decision. My LLC is a sole proprietorship and still very new (began operations 19 months ago), so I assume they pulled my personal credit (740 to 760 scores on the big 3 credit bureaus, but limited credit history). I still havent heard back from Barclays, my original application was submitted online on Feb 5th - so 3 days ago.

Would appreciate any tips/experiences others have had with speaking with someone at Barclays. Should the application end up being rejected - does Barclays have a reconsideration process that I should look into...?

Thanks again !!

Follow-up on this for community data points.

I applied for both the Aviator Biz and Personal. Got approved for the Biz after Barclay called me to verify info (I have extended fraud alert on my account after identify theft incident in 2015, so this is par for the course). Got denied on the Personal, will probably call and see what's up once letter arrives in the mail and I see what it says.

Player 2 also applied for both Aviator Biz and Personal. Auto approval on the Biz. Reviewal status on the Personal...email of approval a few hours later.

For reference both of our "businesses" are very low revenue sole proprietorship's with 1 employee established 5 years ago.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Thanks for sharing your data points. I applied for the Aviator Business Card and got a "review status" on the auto-decision. My LLC is a sole proprietorship and still very new (began operations 19 months ago), so I assume they pulled my personal credit (740 to 760 scores on the big 3 credit bureaus, but limited credit history). I still havent heard back from Barclays, my original application was submitted online on Feb 5th - so 3 days ago.

Would appreciate any tips/experiences others have had with speaking with someone at Barclays. Should the application end up being rejected - does Barclays have a reconsideration process that I should look into...?

Thanks again !!
Mine went pending when I applied, although someone called me pretty quickly after and asked just a few basic question about my business. I was approved but at max credit they were going to extend to me so I just has to pull some from my personal card. You can always call them and ask if they need anymore information: 866-408-4064 or 866-710-2688 8AM-8PM ET
Old Feb 8, 2023, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by Dynastar
New annual fee does not hit until anniversary. I'm sure the offer will go away eventually but I don't think there are any firm data points.
Just as a data point. I received the upgrade offer a couple of weeks ago. I had already paid my $99 AF, as my anniversary is in December and the AF posted at the end of that month, and was on my January closing statement. I was concerned about being charged twice for the AF, but when the T&Cs for the offer were displayed in a pop-up window, it stated that the $199 AF would post on or after 12/31/23. It also stated that the silver status would come into effect at the start of my February billing cycle. So, it looks like I wll be receiving the silver benefits gratis for around 10-11 months.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 6:12 am

Programs: AA EP
Not sure if this belongs here or in the WiFi thread. I hadn’t used my WiFi credits from the silver card so I bought it on a flight in December. Historically, the credits kick in a few days after posting. After a few weeks, I called, and they said AA changed “providers”…not sure if it’s their merchant provider because Panasonic has been around a while…said that they were aware of this issue and I would get my credit before the end of February.

Anyone else aware of this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.