Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ZenFlyer
AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards from BarclayCard
There are five AAdvantage-linked Aviator-branded cards by Barclaycard. Two of them can be applied for directly, the other three are upgrades or downgrades after receiving a Red card.

The Many Flavors of Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator

Where can I see information on all available Barclays Barclaycard AAdvantage cards?

Aviator Red (On AA.com)
Aviator Silver (On AA.com)
Aviator Business (On AA.com)
Aviator Red applications are available at the airport, in flight, or online at https://www.barclaycardus.com/.

Red cardholders may receive an offer to upgrade to Aviator Silver after a period of time that varies, usually 3-11 months. The offer appears in the online "Offers" section, if it is declined there may be no simple way to receive the upgrade. Be careful with your clicking! Silver benefits begin at the start of the next statement, but the increased annual fee won't hit until the next card-member year starts.

Aviator Silver Vs Red
Annual Fee: Silver $199 Red $99
Miles on AA Purchases: Silver 3x Red 2x
Miles on hotels and car rentals: Silver 2x, Red 1x
Miles on all other purchases: Silver 1x, Red 1x
Bonus Loyalty Points: Silver 5k LP after $20k/$40k/$50k Per Status Year Red None
In-Flight Food & Beverage: Silver $25 back/day Red 25% back
Wifi Credits: Silver $50/anniversary year Red $25/anniversary year
Companion Ticket: Silver 2 Companions Red 1 Companion (Minimum Anniversary-Year Spend Required for both)
PreCheck/Global Entry: Silver $100 credit Red No Credit

Card Benefit Details

FlyerTalk thread Citi & Barclaycard AAdvantage Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage

Aviator Silver Bonus Loyalty Points: Bonuses are based on spend during status year, not anniversary year. When upgrading to Silver your Red spending will carry over. Five thousand Loyalty Points after spending $20k/$40k/$50k. You cannot stack multiple Silver accounts to earn this multiple times.

Companion Certificate: $20k in anniversary year spend required, issued about 45 days after you annual fee hits. Red gets one companion, Silver can have two. $99+tax for companions, round-trip 48 contiguous US States only unless you live in Alaska or Hawaii, in which case you may fly from your home state to the 48.

Print Wikipost

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2024, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by OssianBlue
Just got the upgrade offer right at a year--opened the Red on 1/1. Statement date is Jan 18. Should I wait for the AF to hit to accept?

Edite: AF to hit 1/31
So this will be interesting. I waited for my statement where the annual fee for the Red is billed. Took the upgrade and the disclosure said the AF on the Silver will be billed on or after 1/18/2025--be interesting to see if I get a full year of the Silver for free.
apeortdz likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 11:41 am

Programs: AA EXP
If I book 4 people on the same reservation for an award ticket (domestic main cabin extra) with my Aviator card paying the $12ish in fees per person, does the 1 free checked bag perk apply? What if the reservation has been split into multiple PNR's through "divorcing" two of us for upgrades - myself and (if two seats available) someone else? I know that all 3 of the others on the reservation lose Exec Plat benefits such as being able to check 3 bags free. Does this logic apply with the credit card as well? i.e. would those 3 get their first checked bag for free still since the reservation was made for all 4 up front and their reservations were paid for using the card?
Old Jan 23, 2024, 9:43 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
I finally used my aviator silver to make (first time) an inflight food purchase. I ordered 2x of the cheese platter but the FA never charged me? They didnt even ask for my cc or payment. How does that work? Did they just forget? Or they can bill me via my seat assignment etc? Just curious how this works lol.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by zzrayzz
I finally used my aviator silver to make (first time) an inflight food purchase. I ordered 2x of the cheese platter but the FA never charged me? They didnt even ask for my cc or payment. How does that work? Did they just forget? Or they can bill me via my seat assignment etc? Just curious how this works lol.
Yes they forgot. They are supposed to charge the card then later you will see the amount reimbursed on your statement.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 9:53 am

They would definitely have to swipe your card for the purchase. You definitely won't see it show up on your statement (so they're free either way in your case, without the related spend/miles). I've had them swipe and it STILL not post. Those readers and the WiFi can be buggy. They have too many passengers to serve to stop and figure it out if it's not processing right away. The card definitely makes flights interesting to work the math of $25 divided by the $4 Pringles can price.
Hanger110 likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 10:25 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
I have a question regarding the Silver's companion pass --

I want to book for 4 people (me, my wife, and 2 kids). Am I able to book me+2 kids using the companion pass but also book my wife under the same record locator? She doesn't have status so ideally I can so we can sit together in MCE seats. Does anyone know if that is possible?
Old Jan 23, 2024, 11:06 am

Programs: AA EXP
I have a question regarding the Silver's companion pass --

I want to book for 4 people (me, my wife, and 2 kids). Am I able to book me+2 kids using the companion pass but also book my wife under the same record locator? She doesn't have status so ideally I can so we can sit together in MCE seats. Does anyone know if that is possible?
I am nearly certain that you cannot have a 4th person on the same record locator. But book her separately, and then call in and ask to her record locator attached to yours. Chances are she will be able to choose a MCE seat as well. Not guaranteed, but I’ve had it work.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 6:16 pm

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
Do you have to spend the red cc $25 Wi-Fi credit before you upgrade to silver?

will the silver offer go away if you don’t accept right away?

can you ever get a fee waver retention offer on the silver card?
Thanks

Last edited by frank_10b; Jan 24, 2024 at 7:24 pm
Old Jan 25, 2024, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by frank_10b

will the silver offer go away if you don’t accept right away?

Thanks
I got the silver offer periodically, in my account and via email, but just ignored it. Of course, when I finally decided I wanted to upgrade, the offer was no longer active in my account. So they do disappear after a time.

With no idea whether it'd work, I dug out a 9-10 month old email upgrade offer Barclays had sent, that I never got around to deleting. It went through immediatly without a problem.

That was maybe 3-4 years ago though. YMMV.
Majuki likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 6:27 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Plat Pro
Value of Aviator Silver?

With free WiFi from T-Mobile on AA and the fact that there is usually no food to purchase onboard most domestic flights, is there really much value in the $199 annual fee? Maybe the 2 companion passes, maybe but even those are of questionable value with blackout dates during peak periods. I might not renew next month. Paying $200 for some Loyalty Points bonus but then only getting 1x on $50k in purchases, what am I missing?
sushanna1 and Majuki like this.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 7:23 am

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
Originally Posted by tommybananas
With free WiFi from T-Mobile on AA and the fact that there is usually no food to purchase onboard most domestic flights, is there really much value in the $199 annual fee? Maybe the 2 companion passes, maybe but even those are of questionable value with blackout dates during peak periods. I might not renew next month. Paying $200 for some Loyalty Points bonus but then only getting 1x on $50k in purchases, what am I missing?
those are good points!
I usually fly international coach so there is nothing to buy but duty free lol

AA rarely seems to have meals for sale on board

companion passes are rarely worth the hassle IMO

do all post paid T-Mobile plans include free AA WI-FI ?
Majuki likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 10:42 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
I am not impressed with Barclays fraud alerts.

Last Friday, there were approximately a dozen fraudulent transactions on my card. One temporary authorization was approved - ~$170 at Jomashop.inc - but there we numerous $0.00 temporary authorizations at Google, Priceline, Viasat, PayPal, Agoda, Stripe, Eventbrite Payments, and a few more including inDrive, a rideshare service that I never heard of before. Instead of sending me a text message or calling my cellphone, they emailed me. I can't access my personal email account on my work computer, so I did not notice that I had an email from Barclays until more than 20 minutes after it was received.

Once I called, everything was resolved to my satisfaction and the card was canceled. A new card was ordered (I received it by FedEx overnight around noon the next day).

When I got home, I found a recorded fraud alert message from Barclays on the answering machine with a timestamp of a few minutes before the email was sent.

I checked my profile and my cellphone number is designated as the primary number at which to contact me. I don't understand why they didn't use that number to call or text me. At least there was minimum hassle and no loss.
Majuki likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2024, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by frank_10b
those are good points!
I usually fly international coach so there is nothing to buy but duty free lol

AA rarely seems to have meals for sale on board

companion passes are rarely worth the hassle IMO

do all post paid T-Mobile plans include free AA WI-FI ?
Not all T=Mobile plans have full-flight free wifi, but many plans do. Some cheaper plans give you 1 hour free wifi per flight if I recall.
Old Jan 26, 2024, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
I am not impressed with Barclays fraud alerts.

Last Friday, there were approximately a dozen fraudulent transactions on my card. One temporary authorization was approved - ~$170 at Jomashop.inc - but there we numerous $0.00 temporary authorizations at Google, Priceline, Viasat, PayPal, Agoda, Stripe, Eventbrite Payments, and a few more including inDrive, a rideshare service that I never heard of before. Instead of sending me a text message or calling my cellphone, they emailed me. I can't access my personal email account on my work computer, so I did not notice that I had an email from Barclays until more than 20 minutes after it was received.

Once I called, everything was resolved to my satisfaction and the card was canceled. A new card was ordered (I received it by FedEx overnight around noon the next day).

When I got home, I found a recorded fraud alert message from Barclays on the answering machine with a timestamp of a few minutes before the email was sent.

I checked my profile and my cellphone number is designated as the primary number at which to contact me. I don't understand why they didn't use that number to call or text me. At least there was minimum hassle and no loss.
What's an answering machine?
Old Jan 26, 2024, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by tommybananas
I've been getting the offer to switch from Red to Silver but one thing you lose in car insurance coverage. That has use to me when I am in Italy (where I have a vacation home) and am renting for 30 days or less (if I am there longer, I do a short lease which has full cover). So it's a no go for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.