Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ZenFlyer
AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards from BarclayCard
There are five AAdvantage-linked Aviator-branded cards by Barclaycard. Two of them can be applied for directly, the other three are upgrades or downgrades after receiving a Red card.

The Many Flavors of Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator

Where can I see information on all available Barclays Barclaycard AAdvantage cards?

Aviator Red (On AA.com)
Aviator Silver (On AA.com)
Aviator Business (On AA.com)
Aviator Red applications are available at the airport, in flight, or online at https://www.barclaycardus.com/.

Red cardholders may receive an offer to upgrade to Aviator Silver after a period of time that varies, usually 3-11 months. The offer appears in the online "Offers" section, if it is declined there may be no simple way to receive the upgrade. Be careful with your clicking! Silver benefits begin at the start of the next statement, but the increased annual fee won't hit until the next card-member year starts.

Aviator Silver Vs Red
Annual Fee: Silver $199 Red $99
Miles on AA Purchases: Silver 3x Red 2x
Miles on hotels and car rentals: Silver 2x, Red 1x
Miles on all other purchases: Silver 1x, Red 1x
Bonus Loyalty Points: Silver 5k LP after $20k/$40k/$50k Per Status Year Red None
In-Flight Food & Beverage: Silver $25 back/day Red 25% back
Wifi Credits: Silver $50/anniversary year Red $25/anniversary year
Companion Ticket: Silver 2 Companions Red 1 Companion (Minimum Anniversary-Year Spend Required for both)
PreCheck/Global Entry: Silver $100 credit Red No Credit

Card Benefit Details

FlyerTalk thread Citi & Barclaycard AAdvantage Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage

Aviator Silver Bonus Loyalty Points: Bonuses are based on spend during status year, not anniversary year. When upgrading to Silver your Red spending will carry over. Five thousand Loyalty Points after spending $20k/$40k/$50k. You cannot stack multiple Silver accounts to earn this multiple times.

Companion Certificate: $20k in anniversary year spend required, issued about 45 days after you annual fee hits. Red gets one companion, Silver can have two. $99+tax for companions, round-trip 48 contiguous US States only unless you live in Alaska or Hawaii, in which case you may fly from your home state to the 48.

Print Wikipost

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by econometrics
Thanks. I put a large charge on the card today, which shows pending. I guess I'll check tomorrow or the next day to see if the tracker goes up commensurately. ^
I checked today, and the balance in the Rewards Activity tracker DID go up when my pending charges posted. Only $1400 to go now to get my final $3K EQD at $50K. Final for this year, and all years.
MorganB likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 10:46 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
I have a Aviator Red cats that I got in Feb 2019. I notice newer cards now have $25 Wi-Fi credit. Is that retroactive to older cards like mine or only new applications?
Old Dec 2, 2019, 1:24 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by RedElmo
I have a Aviator Red cats that I got in Feb 2019. I notice newer cards now have $25 Wi-Fi credit. Is that retroactive to older cards like mine or only new applications?

It is a benefit for all Red Card holders.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 4:04 am

Originally Posted by 355F1
It is a benefit for all Red Card holders.
Ah that’s good. So effectively immediately after May 2019? Or do I have to wait till my anniversary date? I have a flight coming up this week and would use the Wi-Fi if it’s “free”
Old Dec 2, 2019, 4:08 am

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
Ah that’s good. So effectively immediately after May 2019? Or do I have to wait till my anniversary date? I have a flight coming up this week and would use the Wi-Fi if it’s “free”
You should be good. Just use your card to pay for the wifi onboard and you'll see a statement credit on your account shortly after it posts.
RedElmo likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Hit my 25k spend on 12/3 for my 3000 EQM and that’s what I need to requalify for Ex plat . Last year they posted right away but sort of nervous what if they post in say Jan? Will I not then requalify ? Says 6-8 weeks in terms for them to post ...
Old Dec 9, 2019, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by cbrown5294
Hit my 25k spend on 12/3 for my 3000 EQM and that’s what I need to requalify for Ex plat . Last year they posted right away but sort of nervous what if they post in say Jan? Will I not then requalify ? Says 6-8 weeks in terms for them to post ...
My experience has been that as long as you hit the spend in the qualification year you're good regardless of when the EQD/EQM actually post. It will likely be shortly after the statement on which you hit the spend closes.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 10:16 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by jcain
My experience has been that as long as you hit the spend in the qualification year you're good regardless of when the EQD/EQM actually post. It will likely be shortly after the statement on which you hit the spend closes.
Ok fingers crossed 🤞. My statement closes 12/23 just getting nervous siting here at 110k miles and $12,158 spend waiting to get back on the Ex Plat island lol
Old Dec 10, 2019, 7:38 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat
Combining Citi Exec and Aviator Silver EQMs

I know this has been discussed on this thread a few times--with some mixed information--so I thought I'd ask specifically whether one can earn the 10k EQMs on both the Citi Exec and the Aviator Silver cards. Consensus seems to be "yes" historically, although there was a recent outlier in the posts. Plus, this is the language in the Silver terms (bolding mine):
The primary cardmember may earn 5,000 Elite Qualifying Miles (“EQMs”) after spending $20,000 in Net Purchases made on the Card Account in each calendar year (transaction date of January 1st through December 31st). The primary cardmember may earn an additional 5,000 AAdvantage® EQMs during the same calendar year when the cardmember reaches $40,000 in Net Purchases with the Card Account The primary cardmember may earn the maximum 10,000 EQMs once per calendar year, unless the cardmember has already earned the maximum number of EQMs through other Card Accounts and AAdvantage® co-branded credit cards.

There is no similar "earned the maximum number of EQM" language in the Citi Exec terms. The primary reason I'd upgrade to Silver is for the EQMs. I figure this board is more authoritative than the random CSR I'd get if I called Barclays (prior experience with Barclays CSRs has not been positive).

Anyone have definitive knowledge/experience?
Old Dec 10, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz Gold Plus, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cyberkarl
I know this has been discussed on this thread a few times--with some mixed information--so I thought I'd ask specifically whether one can earn the 10k EQMs on both the Citi Exec and the Aviator Silver cards. Consensus seems to be "yes" historically, although there was a recent outlier in the posts. Plus, this is the language in the Silver terms (bolding mine):

The primary cardmember may earn 5,000 Elite Qualifying Miles (“EQMs”) after spending $20,000 in Net Purchases made on the Card Account in each calendar year (transaction date of January 1st through December 31st). The primary cardmember may earn an additional 5,000 AAdvantage® EQMs during the same calendar year when the cardmember reaches $40,000 in Net Purchases with the Card Account The primary cardmember may earn the maximum 10,000 EQMs once per calendar year, unless the cardmember has already earned the maximum number of EQMs through other Card Accounts and AAdvantage® co-branded credit cards.

There is no similar "earned the maximum number of EQM" language in the Citi Exec terms. The primary reason I'd upgrade to Silver is for the EQMs. I figure this board is more authoritative than the random CSR I'd get if I called Barclays (prior experience with Barclays CSRs has not been positive).

Anyone have definitive knowledge/experience?
Yes--I got both this year as in prior years.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: United Premier Plat, Hyatt Diamond
I had an old US Airways card which earned 10,000 miles a year each year a month or so before the annual fee hit. My 10,000 miles just posted, I believe I’ll see my annual fee on my next statement. Did I read somewhere that this is the last year I’ll get 10,000 miles per year? (I put no spend on the card but the 10,000 miles for $99 has seemed worthwhile (not to mention the fact I believe they have waived the fee almost every year I’ve called in- If this benefit has gone away I’ll cancel). NOTE: to be clear I am NOT asking about the AA 10% mileage rebate up to 10,000 miles annually, a separate benefit that was nixed recently - I am asking about the straight annual 10,000 miles per year that dates back to the final U.S. Airways cards. Thanks!
Old Dec 27, 2019, 4:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by learnedpaw
I had an old US Airways card which earned 10,000 miles a year each year a month or so before the annual fee hit. My 10,000 miles just posted, I believe I’ll see my annual fee on my next statement. Did I read somewhere that this is the last year I’ll get 10,000 miles per year? (I put no spend on the card but the 10,000 miles for $99 has seemed worthwhile (not to mention the fact I believe they have waived the fee almost every year I’ve called in- If this benefit has gone away I’ll cancel). NOTE: to be clear I am NOT asking about the AA 10% mileage rebate up to 10,000 miles annually, a separate benefit that was nixed recently - I am asking about the straight annual 10,000 miles per year that dates back to the final U.S. Airways cards. Thanks!
Yes, the word on the street is that this is the last time Barclays will honor the 10,000 miles for those versions of the old US Airways card that had that benefit.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 11:54 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by apeortdz
My Wifi charge on 31Oct (on American) posted as "Panasonic AA." Not credited yet but I'll give it more time.
I keep getting the runaround from Barclays about the WiFi credit. My charge was from 31Oct and it has not yet been credited. I have called three times and I get a different answer every time. Today they said that Panasonic-AA WiFi charges are ineligible and I should read the T&Cs. I just checked the T&Cs and there is nothing that would indicate this. Has anyone else ever heard such nonsense?
Old Jan 3, 2020, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by apeortdz
I keep getting the runaround from Barclays about the WiFi credit. My charge was from 31Oct and it has not yet been credited. I have called three times and I get a different answer every time. Today they said that Panasonic-AA WiFi charges are ineligible and I should read the T&Cs. I just checked the T&Cs and there is nothing that would indicate this. Has anyone else ever heard such nonsense?

What is the Panasonic WiFi? Is that not the Via Sat?
Old Jan 3, 2020, 11:59 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
What is the Panasonic WiFi? Is that not the Via Sat?
That is how the charge appears on the credit card statement. It was on an AA operated flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.