Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ZenFlyer
AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards from BarclayCard
There are five AAdvantage-linked Aviator-branded cards by Barclaycard. Two of them can be applied for directly, the other three are upgrades or downgrades after receiving a Red card.

The Many Flavors of Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator

Where can I see information on all available Barclays Barclaycard AAdvantage cards?

Aviator Red (On AA.com)
Aviator Silver (On AA.com)
Aviator Business (On AA.com)
Aviator Red applications are available at the airport, in flight, or online at https://www.barclaycardus.com/.

Red cardholders may receive an offer to upgrade to Aviator Silver after a period of time that varies, usually 3-11 months. The offer appears in the online "Offers" section, if it is declined there may be no simple way to receive the upgrade. Be careful with your clicking! Silver benefits begin at the start of the next statement, but the increased annual fee won't hit until the next card-member year starts.

Aviator Silver Vs Red
Annual Fee: Silver $199 Red $99
Miles on AA Purchases: Silver 3x Red 2x
Miles on hotels and car rentals: Silver 2x, Red 1x
Miles on all other purchases: Silver 1x, Red 1x
Bonus Loyalty Points: Silver 5k LP after $20k/$40k/$50k Per Status Year Red None
In-Flight Food & Beverage: Silver $25 back/day Red 25% back
Wifi Credits: Silver $50/anniversary year Red $25/anniversary year
Companion Ticket: Silver 2 Companions Red 1 Companion (Minimum Anniversary-Year Spend Required for both)
PreCheck/Global Entry: Silver $100 credit Red No Credit

Card Benefit Details

FlyerTalk thread Citi & Barclaycard AAdvantage Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage

Aviator Silver Bonus Loyalty Points: Bonuses are based on spend during status year, not anniversary year. When upgrading to Silver your Red spending will carry over. Five thousand Loyalty Points after spending $20k/$40k/$50k. You cannot stack multiple Silver accounts to earn this multiple times.

Companion Certificate: $20k in anniversary year spend required, issued about 45 days after you annual fee hits. Red gets one companion, Silver can have two. $99+tax for companions, round-trip 48 contiguous US States only unless you live in Alaska or Hawaii, in which case you may fly from your home state to the 48.

Print Wikipost

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Old Jun 21, 2021, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
So I am looking at picking up the Red Card soon. I’m planning on putting ~$20k spend on it in Q3/Q4 to finish off the EQD waiver (already have about ~$10k on my Citi).

I’d like to (hopefully) upgrade to the Silver at some point. If I am able to upgrade, does that reset my spend counter towards the companion certificate? Or is it applied to the spend requirements for the Silver companion cert/EQM?
Old Jun 21, 2021, 10:34 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Delta Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Clear
Originally Posted by Aero137
So I am looking at picking up the Red Card soon. I’m planning on putting ~$20k spend on it in Q3/Q4 to finish off the EQD waiver (already have about ~$10k on my Citi).

I’d like to (hopefully) upgrade to the Silver at some point. If I am able to upgrade, does that reset my spend counter towards the companion certificate? Or is it applied to the spend requirements for the Silver companion cert/EQM?
I got upgraded to silver within about 3 months and they carried over my spend history. I personally love the silver card and use it quite heavily, BUT have never used the AA companion certificate as it only applies to coach.
RaindropT likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 7:55 am

Programs: AA: Exec Plat; AC: 75K; JX: Explorer; HH: Dia; Bonvoy: Gold; Wyndham: Dia
Use the Red as your primary card for the first three months you have it and, assuming you meet whatever other criteria Barclays has for the Silver card (FICO, minimum credit line, etc.) you should automatically see an offer to upgrade. I got the offer to upgrade before the three months were done, but it did not convert until my third billing cycle for the Red had closed. All activity for various bonuses carried over from Red to Silver, which for me was relatively little for the EQM and EQD measures as I converted in January.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA, B6, DL, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by MiamiBill
I got upgraded to silver within about 3 months and they carried over my spend history. I personally love the silver card and use it quite heavily, BUT have never used the AA companion certificate as it only applies to coach.
I like the silver card as well. Had it for a few years, and most times need the extra $3K in EQD to make exec plat. The companion certificate is not upgradable, as you mentioned. Have used when traveling with Mrs on some regional flights where there was no first.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 5:17 pm

Does combining the spend on cards from two different issuers meet the $30K requirement?
Old Jun 23, 2021, 8:14 am

Programs: AA: Exec Plat; AC: 75K; JX: Explorer; HH: Dia; Bonvoy: Gold; Wyndham: Dia
Originally Posted by Ord Liza
Does combining the spend on cards from two different issuers meet the $30K requirement?
It *should*. AA is running that promo. They are collecting monthly spend from Barclays when all my statement info is sent and shows up a day after statement. If you have a Citi card already, you will see the timing of your spend to the tracker in the Promos page. I *assume* both Citi and Barclays data gets dumped into this tracker. I'm sure there is someone on this AA board who has cards from both issuers and can verify.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by ramcm7
It *should*. AA is running that promo. They are collecting monthly spend from Barclays when all my statement info is sent and shows up a day after statement. If you have a Citi card already, you will see the timing of your spend to the tracker in the Promos page. I *assume* both Citi and Barclays data gets dumped into this tracker. I'm sure there is someone on this AA board who has cards from both issuers and can verify.
I have both and I was tracking it. I can't confirm, because once you hit the $30K the tracker stops, but I am pretty sure that only one card was being counted. Not positive though.

EDIT: I stand corrected; the spend across cards is combined. "Spend on purchases may be combined across all eligible AAdvantage credit cards to reach the $30,000 requirement to qualify for the EQD waiver. "

Last edited by Ord Liza; Jun 29, 2021 at 11:06 am Reason: correction
Old Jun 24, 2021, 1:13 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by MiamiBill
I got upgraded to silver within about 3 months and they carried over my spend history…
Originally Posted by ramcm7
… I got the offer to upgrade before the three months were done, but it did not convert until my third billing cycle for the Red had closed. All activity for various bonuses carried over from Red to Silver, ….
Thanks for the info. Already pulled the trigger on the Red, so we will see if it works for me!

By the way, how is the increased annual fee charged? Is it the difference? Pro-rated for the year?

Last edited by Aero137; Jun 24, 2021 at 1:18 am
Old Jun 24, 2021, 5:29 am

By the way, how is the increased annual fee charged? Is it the difference? Pro-rated for the year?
Mine was full fee, but my Red offer was waived AF for first year.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 6:28 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Wow so right now the Red card is $0 annual fee and 60k bonus after one spending?
Old Jun 30, 2021, 4:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Ord Liza
Yes. I have the Citi AA Executive World Elite, the Citi AA Platinum, the AA Barclay Red, and the AA Barclay Business. All of them are adding to the 30k. As each bill gets posted, I see my waiver $ go up on AA.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 8:43 am

Wow so right now the Red card is $0 annual fee and 60k bonus after one spending?

Is this true? Can only find the $99.00 annual. If anyone can link, it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, does anyone know what credit agency they pull from? Thank you!
Old Jul 29, 2021, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by marlin

Is this true? Can only find the $99.00 annual. If anyone can link, it would be greatly appreciated.

I believe it's true only for in-flight offers. I could be wrong. And Barclays tends to pull from TransUnion.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by marlin

Here’s a link that hopefully will work for you. Unfortunately they made this offer right after I accepted the offer that included the $99 first year payment, but life is that way sometimes.

https://www.applyaviator.com/apply/L...6&cellNumber=1
Old Jul 29, 2021, 9:50 am

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by vasantn
I believe it's true only for in-flight offers. I could be wrong. And Barclays tends to pull from TransUnion.

ya. It’s inflight only. I thought the link was shared up there?

I have a link from my last flight and the flight attendants referral code if anyone wants it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.