Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA award miles reinstatement / redeposit fees, issues, questions thru 30 Jun 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 20, 2016, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Award Reinstatement / Miles Redeposit / Expired Miles Reinstatement (Awards secured by 30 June 2020)

NOTE: This thread is obsolescent, and doesn’t apply to awards secured after 30 June 2020. See this thread for changes in effect 1 July 2020.

AAdvantage award reinstatement / reissuance charges Link

Prior to ticketing, you may change your AAdvantage travel award reservations with no charge incurred for a number of stipulated changes. However, if your tickets are reissued after the original ticketing, a charge may apply for each ticket. This service charge is paid at the time your ticket is reissued and is subject to change without notice. Upgrade, companion and discount award travel is subject to restrictions of fare purchased.

AAdvantage miles will be reinstated for unused and unexpired awards upon payment of a processing fee. For each additional award reinstatement from the same account at the same time, an additional charge will be collected. These charges are payable by credit card. Gift cards may not be used.

Expired tickets will not be reinstated. If a portion of the miles used to claim an award ticket has expired, only those miles that have not expired will be reinstated. Partially used tickets will not be reinstated.
Reinstating flight awards Link

Contact American Airlines Reservations for assistance with canceling your flight award reservation and requesting mileage reinstatement.

You can request to have your AAdvantage mileage reinstated for a wholly unused AAdvantage award ticket and if the ticket has not expired
  • The reinstatement charge is $150 per account for the first award ticket.

• Additional award tickets reinstated to the same account at the same time will have a $25 charge per ticket

• This fee will be waived for Executive Platinum (and Concierge Key) members using miles from their account
NOTE: If bookings are on separate PNRs, AA is likely to want $150 each, according to various member posts in other threads. Push back by saying you know that the computer wants to charge $150 each, but this explicitly contradicts the published rules (assuming miles were charged to the same account), so could the agent please manually adjust the amount charged.

Expired miles may also be reinstated within an 18 month period of time, but these will generally require a reinstatement fee or a reingagement requirement that will require certain levels of AA travel. There’s no other way known to reactivate an account with miles reinstated, though it’s theoretically possible to petition AAdvantage customer service for mercy in force majeure issues (e.g. military deployment or other condition beyond one’s control). Contact AA for your specific situation.

Print Wikipost

AA award miles reinstatement / redeposit fees, issues, questions thru 30 Jun 2020

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2016, 3:38 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by newdaybegin
I think i just did a very big mistake, because before 3/22 i book a flight on 2/1/2017 for one way for PTT-LAX on Air Tahiti. But during that time there is no available for the last leg from LAX-SEA, the agent confirm i can call back later to add the last leg. Now today i call 3 different agent, and they all stated I will get charge for $125 to change the reservation??? is this correct? i thought we can add AA domestic leg for free anywhere in US? please help, thanks!
I'm going to shift this discussion into the existing thread discussing this type of change and the reinstate fee.

~Moderator
Old May 18, 2016, 8:17 am
Aman Contributor Badge

First time post so excuse the ignorance but...

I seem to have had the opposite 'problem' of some of the posters here. I called to have a ticket cancelled and the miles redeposited per instructions on the thread. Miles posted within maybe half an hour but I was never charged. This was about two weeks ago. Has this ever happened to someone?

I read the agent my card # and exp for the $150 charge and I don't have exec plat so it shouldn't have been free...One would think that they would not post the miles without charging the card first, no?
Old May 30, 2016, 8:19 am
Aman Contributor Badge

One last follow up before I give up on this....

I talked to the Twitter team over a week ago who in turn looked up the reservation and said that everything was in a queue and should be charged "soon"

However, still no charge. I'm still worried that my card number was entered wrong by the agent and I'm going to get an angry collections notice in like 6 months.

One would think AA wants their fee money, no? So bizarre
Old Jun 9, 2016, 6:34 am

I probably already know an answer to this but just wanted to confirm if there's a way to get the miles back if the flight was missed & the passenger didn't flew? The ticket was never canceled & it was booked using AA miles for Etihad?
Old Jun 9, 2016, 7:00 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Question transferred from Citi forum to AA. The source of the miles (Citi card) has no bearing on the answer which is determined by AAdvantage policy.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 9:09 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by stabish
I probably already know an answer to this but just wanted to confirm if there's a way to get the miles back if the flight was missed & the passenger didn't flew? The ticket was never canceled & it was booked using AA miles for Etihad?
Call.

If the miles can be redeposited for an unused award, $150 if other than Executive Platinum.

We will merge this into http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l-changes.html soon. You may wish to have a look (including the wikipost at the top of the page). /Moderator
Old Jun 9, 2016, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Call.

If the miles can be redeposited for an unused award, $150 if other than Executive Platinum.

We will merge this into http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l-changes.html soon. You may wish to have a look (including the wikipost at the top of the page). /Moderator
Thanks for your quick reply on this. I was able to get them reinstated after a fee $150.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 8:58 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
And you should have had your "real" taxes refunded...

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Jun 14, 2016, 9:48 pm

I had an AA award booking cancelled on Monday a week ago (June 6), was for flights on Alaska Airlines and sure enough the booking vanished from both AA and Alaska websites. I saw that a pre-authorization appear on my credit-card but no charge and no redeposit of miles yet. Also called-in and was told it was in the queue. Are there issues with award cancel/redeposit recently?
Old Jun 14, 2016, 11:09 pm

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by robsaw
I had an AA award booking cancelled on Monday a week ago (June 6), was for flights on Alaska Airlines and sure enough the booking vanished from both AA and Alaska websites. I saw that a pre-authorization appear on my credit-card but no charge and no redeposit of miles yet. Also called-in and was told it was in the queue. Are there issues with award cancel/redeposit recently?
None reported.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
None reported.
Although there does seem to be some inconsistencies, per this thread.

(e.g. people getting points redeposited immediately but fees not charged 'til much later (or never).

12 days later and still no fees charged and no points redeposited.

<edit> However, refundable taxes/fees were credited on June 17 for the cancelled tickets.

Last edited by robsaw; Jun 19, 2016 at 1:55 pm
Old Jun 22, 2016, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by robsaw
Although there does seem to be some inconsistencies, per this thread.

(e.g. people getting points redeposited immediately but fees not charged 'til much later (or never).

12 days later and still no fees charged and no points redeposited.

<edit> However, refundable taxes/fees were credited on June 17 for the cancelled tickets.
So, called in again and after several minutes of the agent conferring with ticketing and supervisor determined that the charge to the credit-card for the redeposit fees didn't go through because of some issue on their end. I know I gave them the correct info originally on the CC because I saw a pre-authorization on the card appear but for $0. I re-provided the CC info and they fixed it up and miles were redeposited immediately and pending charge appeared on CC online immediately as well (it is nice to have a Credit Card where pending charges and authorizations appear near real-time).
Old Jul 1, 2016, 8:45 pm

Thanks to all who have posted their experiences here. I decided today to cancel two one-way awards I had ticketed a while back, and based on the feedback here I was a little apprehensive - but luckily, everything went very smoothly. Hopefully AA has fixed the issues others had to deal with.

My two award tickets were on two separate PNRs and were both for one traveler. I called and said I had two award tickets that I wanted to cancel and reinstate the mileage for. CSR asked for the first PNR, then the second one, confirmed both were associated with the same account (mine) and confirmed the fee would be $150 plus $25 for the second one. My card had a $175 pending charge within minutes and the miles reappeared in my account just as quickly.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 2:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Hi all, on the search tool for award tickets I'm looking for a particular routing but online prices it up as two seperate tickets. What I'm looking for is SEA-LAX-AUS-LHR (First Saver) award.

If I ring AA would they be able to manually book the itinerary for 85K instead of 85K & 25K?
Old Jul 11, 2016, 7:33 pm

Only $25 redeposit fee for additional AA award cancelations?

I have an AA award ticket (on ML & CX) that I need to cancel by January. I've already pushed the dates as far into the future as I can, and I doubt the flights will be significantly rescheduled. So I know I'll probably have to pay the $150 redeposit fee.

Now if I ticket another award, but later decide to cancel that award, would I be able to cancel & redeposit both tickets into my account for $150 + $25? I know I would need to cancel both tickets at the same time and into the same account.

Last edited by raygromer; Jul 11, 2016 at 11:55 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.