Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA award miles reinstatement / redeposit fees, issues, questions thru 30 Jun 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 20, 2016, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Award Reinstatement / Miles Redeposit / Expired Miles Reinstatement (Awards secured by 30 June 2020)

NOTE: This thread is obsolescent, and doesn’t apply to awards secured after 30 June 2020. See this thread for changes in effect 1 July 2020.

AAdvantage award reinstatement / reissuance charges Link

Prior to ticketing, you may change your AAdvantage travel award reservations with no charge incurred for a number of stipulated changes. However, if your tickets are reissued after the original ticketing, a charge may apply for each ticket. This service charge is paid at the time your ticket is reissued and is subject to change without notice. Upgrade, companion and discount award travel is subject to restrictions of fare purchased.

AAdvantage miles will be reinstated for unused and unexpired awards upon payment of a processing fee. For each additional award reinstatement from the same account at the same time, an additional charge will be collected. These charges are payable by credit card. Gift cards may not be used.

Expired tickets will not be reinstated. If a portion of the miles used to claim an award ticket has expired, only those miles that have not expired will be reinstated. Partially used tickets will not be reinstated.
Reinstating flight awards Link

Contact American Airlines Reservations for assistance with canceling your flight award reservation and requesting mileage reinstatement.

You can request to have your AAdvantage mileage reinstated for a wholly unused AAdvantage award ticket and if the ticket has not expired
  • The reinstatement charge is $150 per account for the first award ticket.

• Additional award tickets reinstated to the same account at the same time will have a $25 charge per ticket

• This fee will be waived for Executive Platinum (and Concierge Key) members using miles from their account
NOTE: If bookings are on separate PNRs, AA is likely to want $150 each, according to various member posts in other threads. Push back by saying you know that the computer wants to charge $150 each, but this explicitly contradicts the published rules (assuming miles were charged to the same account), so could the agent please manually adjust the amount charged.

Expired miles may also be reinstated within an 18 month period of time, but these will generally require a reinstatement fee or a reingagement requirement that will require certain levels of AA travel. There’s no other way known to reactivate an account with miles reinstated, though it’s theoretically possible to petition AAdvantage customer service for mercy in force majeure issues (e.g. military deployment or other condition beyond one’s control). Contact AA for your specific situation.

Print Wikipost

AA award miles reinstatement / redeposit fees, issues, questions thru 30 Jun 2020

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2015, 3:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by barnetda

All of the replies have made excellent points , i also believe my case is valid assuming AA look at the facts .
Looking at the facts , I cannot see how you have any case

Put simply

You have an award booking
Award bookings have a $150 redeposit charge

How do you have any case?

That Qantas Airways may be offering free cancellations is irrelevant

As mentioned by another poster, even with the events in Boston, AA allowed free changes, not penalty free cancellations

If the airline operating your flight was to cancel the service, then indeed you will get a refund.

If you chose not to take out insurance to cover such events, then why should AA have to act as a free insurance provider rather than you paying the fees?
Old Aug 21, 2015, 3:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Thats exactly the advice others here have given me . Basically to rebook even knowing that its almost certain that I wont take the flight but hope that it gets cancelled by the airline so i dont pay the fee.
No, that is not what people have advised, as there's not so much probability that will occur.

What some of us advise is to move the booking out, because schedules change. If a schedule change occurs that is over, say, two hours or alters your connection significantly, you would be able to cancel and redeposit the miles without charge. @:-)

There's a much greater chance of significant schedule changes than an outright cancellation.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA Gold . Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum.
Originally Posted by JDiver
No, that is not what people have advised, as there's not so much probability that will occur.

What some of us advise is to move the booking out, because schedules change. If a schedule change occurs that is over, say, two hours or alters your connection significantly, you would be able to cancel and redeposit the miles without charge. @:-)

There's a much greater chance of significant schedule changes than an outright cancellation.

Sorry i wasnt clear . I meant people have advised exactly what you have spelt out .
Old Aug 21, 2015, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Looking at the facts , I cannot see how you have any case

Put simply

You have an award booking
Award bookings have a $150 redeposit charge

How do you have any case?

That Qantas Airways may be offering free cancellations is irrelevant

As mentioned by another poster, even with the events in Boston, AA allowed free changes, not penalty free cancellations

If the airline operating your flight was to cancel the service, then indeed you will get a refund.

If you chose not to take out insurance to cover such events, then why should AA have to act as a free insurance provider rather than you paying the fees?

I didnt realise until earlier that following the Boston tragedy airlines only offered free changes not cancelations. That makes a big difference.

The fact that the final leg is on Cathay (hong kong to BKK return) is relevant though. The Hong Kong govt have issued an advisory that only essential travel should be taken. I also believe that Cathay are allowing waiver free cancelations.

I am an experienced traveler but i have really learnt a lot in the last few days and I am very thankful to people like yourself who have taken the time to give me their advice and points of view.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 7:15 pm

I didnt realise until earlier that following the Boston tragedy airlines only offered free changes not cancelations. That makes a big difference.

The fact that the final leg is on Cathay (hong kong to BKK return) is relevant though. The Hong Kong govt have issued an advisory that only essential travel should be taken. I also believe that Cathay are allowing waiver free cancelations.
What Cathay Pacific is offering on its fares that it offers is irrelevant; you haven't purchased a Cathay fare, but an AA fare and it is AA's terms / any waivers that are relevant

You can change to another date free of charge within the validity period of the ticket subject to availability or can cancel and get a refund with a fairly small cancellation penalty of $150
Old Aug 21, 2015, 7:30 pm

What Cathay Pacific is offering on its fares that it offers is irrelevant; you haven't purchased a Cathay fare, but an AA fare and it is AA's terms / any waivers that are relevant

You can change to another date free of charge within the validity period of the ticket subject to availability or can cancel and get a refund with a fairly small cancellation penalty of $150

Fair points.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA EP
The OP asked for an unbiased opion...

You are canceling due to your own decision -- not the issues in BKK. You are trying to use the issues in BKK as a way to get around paying the redeposit fee.

Personally, I think that is unfair. But, if you haven't cancelled yet, call back and say that you are cancelled due to the US gov't advisory on travel. Keep everything else quiet. If they say it will be $150 say that the travel advisory by the gov't should make this an involuntary decision and that you are heeding to gov't advisories and recommendations. Basically keep to the US advisory for US citizen'she safety.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier

You are canceling due to your own decision -- not the issues in BKK. You are trying to use the issues in BKK as a way to get around paying the redeposit fee.

Personally, I think that is unfair. But, if you haven't cancelled yet, call back and say that you are cancelled due to the US gov't advisory on travel. Keep everything else quiet. If they say it will be $150 say that the travel advisory by the gov't should make this an involuntary decision and that you are heeding to gov't advisories and recommendations. Basically keep to the US advisory for US citizen'she safety.
The problem is that AA does not assess a charge for merely canceling an award ticket. It only assesses a charge if one wants to re-deposit the miles associated with the award ticket.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier

Sorry i dont quite understand.

I AM canceling solely due to the situation in Bangkok. I just cant put my family at risk and feel that the many advisories from govts and travel agents should be heeded.

I lived through the IRA bombings in London and various other tragedies but i cant allow my wife and son to be there at this time.

I have written to AA explaining in detail .
Old Aug 22, 2015, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

The problem is that AA does not assess a charge for merely canceling an award ticket. It only assesses a charge if one wants to re-deposit the miles associated with the award ticket.

Thats the problem in a nutshell.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 10:40 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

I AM canceling solely due to the situation in Bangkok. I just cant put my family at risk and feel that the many advisories from govts and travel agents should be heeded.

I lived through the IRA bombings in London and various other tragedies but i cant allow my wife and son to be there at this time.

If you've cancelled already, your only choices are: abandon the miles, pay the redeposit fees and write and appeal. I don't have much regard forbthevformer and little hope for the latter; airline personnel aren't known as much for their empathy as for going by the book they wrote and saying "no".

Most people at airiness or elsewhere don't really care nor want to hear about your or my life experiences and challenges.

If you haven't cancelled, you have been presented with a number of alternative scenarios to consider.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 3:08 pm

So what?

Is/did the flight operate?

If it does/did , then there is nothing stopping you travelling other then your own preferences

If you choose to self insure , then accept that you are going to be the one paying out should situations occur
Old Aug 22, 2015, 8:03 pm

So what?

Is/did the flight operate?

If it does/did , then there is nothing stopping you travelling other then your own preferences

If you choose to self insure , then accept that you are going to be the one paying out should situations occur
When you say "so what "

I was answering a previous poster who said "You are canceling due to your own decision -- not the issues in BKK. You are trying to use the issues in BKK as a way to get around paying the redeposit fee. "

That is simply not true. I am canceling only because of the situation there .

In answer to your questions :

1. Yes the flight is operating at this moment.

2 Yes I accept i will pay out if I have to.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
If you've cancelled already, your only choices are: abandon the miles, pay the redeposit fees and write and appeal. I don't have much regard forbthevformer and little hope for the latter; airline personnel aren't known as much for their empathy as for going by the book they wrote and saying "no".

Most people at airiness or elsewhere don't really care nor want to hear about your or my life experiences and challenges.

If you haven't cancelled, you have been presented with a number of alternative scenarios to consider.

I appreciate the input .
Old Aug 22, 2015, 8:09 pm

Here is a report from the hotel my wife and I plus my son were due to stay in for our vacation.

"Guests at the Grand Hyatt recounted the horrific moments after the explosion:
Francesco Fabbiani was relaxing with his wife and three children on the fifth floor swimming pool of the Grand Hyatt Erawan hotel in the heart of Bangkok when he heard a loud bang. "I felt the entire building shake and the water was splashing back and forth," the 44 year-old Italian from South Tirol said. "It was actually my son who noticed it at first: small bits of debris and body parts landing in the pool area... There was smoke and screaming..."

For anyone to suggest i am using the Bangkok situation as a way to get around paying the redeposit fees are totally wrong and I find that insulting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.