Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA award miles reinstatement / redeposit fees, issues, questions thru 30 Jun 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 20, 2016, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Award Reinstatement / Miles Redeposit / Expired Miles Reinstatement (Awards secured by 30 June 2020)

NOTE: This thread is obsolescent, and doesn’t apply to awards secured after 30 June 2020. See this thread for changes in effect 1 July 2020.

AAdvantage award reinstatement / reissuance charges Link

Prior to ticketing, you may change your AAdvantage travel award reservations with no charge incurred for a number of stipulated changes. However, if your tickets are reissued after the original ticketing, a charge may apply for each ticket. This service charge is paid at the time your ticket is reissued and is subject to change without notice. Upgrade, companion and discount award travel is subject to restrictions of fare purchased.

AAdvantage miles will be reinstated for unused and unexpired awards upon payment of a processing fee. For each additional award reinstatement from the same account at the same time, an additional charge will be collected. These charges are payable by credit card. Gift cards may not be used.

Expired tickets will not be reinstated. If a portion of the miles used to claim an award ticket has expired, only those miles that have not expired will be reinstated. Partially used tickets will not be reinstated.
Reinstating flight awards Link

Contact American Airlines Reservations for assistance with canceling your flight award reservation and requesting mileage reinstatement.

You can request to have your AAdvantage mileage reinstated for a wholly unused AAdvantage award ticket and if the ticket has not expired
  • The reinstatement charge is $150 per account for the first award ticket.

• Additional award tickets reinstated to the same account at the same time will have a $25 charge per ticket

• This fee will be waived for Executive Platinum (and Concierge Key) members using miles from their account
NOTE: If bookings are on separate PNRs, AA is likely to want $150 each, according to various member posts in other threads. Push back by saying you know that the computer wants to charge $150 each, but this explicitly contradicts the published rules (assuming miles were charged to the same account), so could the agent please manually adjust the amount charged.

Expired miles may also be reinstated within an 18 month period of time, but these will generally require a reinstatement fee or a reingagement requirement that will require certain levels of AA travel. There’s no other way known to reactivate an account with miles reinstated, though it’s theoretically possible to petition AAdvantage customer service for mercy in force majeure issues (e.g. military deployment or other condition beyond one’s control). Contact AA for your specific situation.

Print Wikipost

AA award miles reinstatement / redeposit fees, issues, questions thru 30 Jun 2020

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2015, 7:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JDiver
If you click on it, you'll be taken to a significantly larger, legible image.
Not in IE on my computer you don't - it is just a small image with no hyperlinking - just a .jpg file
Old Nov 25, 2015, 11:45 am

Update:

Out of the blue, AAdvantage Customer Service e-mailed me and refunded $150 by way of an eVoucher. Not totally happy with this considering it was their fault, but we're getting somewhere. I think this might have been prompted by a complaint through Twitter about 2 days ago.

And after 4 calls, I was able to get an agent to drop the last two segments from my award without charging the fee.

In sum, my rate of success finding AAgents who know the rules has dropped off a cliff. I wonder if I've just been drawing the short end of the stick and ending up with pmUS agents.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 12:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tng11
Update:

Out of the blue, AAdvantage Customer Service e-mailed me and refunded $150 by way of an eVoucher. Not totally happy with this considering it was their fault, but we're getting somewhere. I think this might have been prompted by a complaint through Twitter about 2 days ago.

And after 4 calls, I was able to get an agent to drop the last two segments from my award without charging the fee.
Good to hear the info helped!

Originally Posted by tng11
...In sum, my rate of success finding AAgents who know the rules has dropped off a cliff. ...
I'd say it's definitely not just you at all-- I'd say there are many here who have a similar feeling in recent months.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 10:35 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
An additional wrinkle to anyone booking awards using a call center outside of the US: I attempted to cancel and reinstate two awards at the same time via the Japan call center (which seems to have forwarded elsewhere) to the same account, and was also advised it would be $150 per reinstatement if the PNRs were separate. This was confirmed twice by the agent despite what it said on the website *and* what I was told by AA in the US, and they would not budge.

So why not simply cancel via the US call center? Because my award was issued in JPY, the US apparently cannot issue refunds -- they must be done via one of the Asia-Pacific call centers. Absolutely ridiculous.

To spare myself some sanity I only cancelled the tickets and asked the US agent to add notes to my record clarifying that I should only be charged $175 to reinstate miles from both tickets. I'll try calling one of the Asia-Pacific centers again in the new year to see if it worked.

Long story short: if you're not an EXP and you think you might need to cancel an award or two, book your awards via the US call center, as the non-US centers do not seem to be playing by the same rules.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 12:24 am
dtc

Programs: Restarting life as UA newb; AA Lifetime Gold
How many redeposit fees if I cancel this Award trip?

I booked LAX-PPT (Y) and PPT LAX-SFO (J) for 2 people using Awards.

Let's say I were to cancel this and redeposit. Would I be charged $150+25? Or $150+25*3?

Thanks!
Old Jan 28, 2016, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
One-way or RT?
Old Jan 28, 2016, 5:18 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
All on the same ticket? Did the miles come out of a single account?
Old Jan 28, 2016, 10:47 am
dtc

Programs: Restarting life as UA newb; AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by tom911
All on the same ticket? Did the miles come out of a single account?
The question I have is what would happen if I cancelled the entire round-trip.

The miles all came out of a single account.

All the segments for both pax were booked at the same time - so I think it would be one ticket.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 6:29 pm

Programs: aa lifetime platinum
Redeposit fee for round trip awards

hello all:
there may be technically no such thing but I am canceling a round trip qr award
and redepositing the miles - there are 2 of us on the same PNR so would that that be like redepositing two one way awards for each of us with a 50 charge for the second person .
are there written rules on this somewhere?
i have a feeling it would be like two one way awards .

thanks.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

If both roundtrip awards were booked at the same time with miles from the same account, then expect to be charged a total of $175 ($150 + $25). If the outbound awards were booked at a different time than the return awards, then expect to be charged a total of $225 ($150 + $25 + $25 + $25).

Of course, if there has been a substantial schedule change since you booked, then there should be no re-deposit fee.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 12:00 am

Programs: aa lifetime platinum
thanks. not as bad as i feared.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 10:57 am

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Mile reinstatement fee for separate PNR

I am on the phone now with AA. They are saying that separate PNR requires separate $150 fee, rather than the $25 additional ticket fee.

All bookings are from the same AA account.
Where can I refer to the correct AA policy?

Update:
After escalating to the 3rd level (agent -> supervisor -> manager), the correct $25 policy is confirmed.

Last edited by geclub1; Mar 4, 2016 at 11:59 am
Old Mar 4, 2016, 11:54 am

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by JonNYC
My impression is as follows; the correct policy is, if the miles for multiple pax came out of the same account, it is $150 first ticket, $25 ea addl if miles are all being reinstated at the same time. Makes no difference whether in separate or same PNR. They have to adjust the numbers manually in the PNR.

Maybe the agent mentioned was either new and unfamiliar with the policy or just confused. But if it comes up on the next call, rather than argue it might be worth asking for a supervisor again. They do have a lot of new-to-function AAdvantage agents on the phones now.
Providing a current datapoint with regard to this.
Today (4Mar16), I called in to reinstate miles from various PNR.
Front-line agent and her supervisor both claimed the separate $150 being "the policy and" they "know them well."
The supervisor entertained my request for him to talk to his manager and he then came back with the "good news" that his manager allows him to "only" charge me $25 per additional ticket.

JonNYC's correct policy remained correct!
Old Mar 4, 2016, 3:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by geclub1
Providing a current datapoint with regard to this.
Today (4Mar16), I called in to reinstate miles from various PNR.
Front-line agent and her supervisor both claimed the separate $150 being "the policy and" they "know them well."
The supervisor entertained my request for him to talk to his manager and he then came back with the "good news" that his manager allows him to "only" charge me $25 per additional ticket.

JonNYC's correct policy remained correct!
Glad the info helped!
Old Mar 4, 2016, 4:23 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by geclub1

I am on the phone now with AA. They are saying that separate PNR requires separate $150 fee, rather than the $25 additional ticket fee.

All bookings are from the same AA account.
Where can I refer to the correct AA policy?

Update:
After escalating to the 3rd level (agent -> supervisor -> manager), the correct $25 policy is confirmed.
We know. And we're moving this to the proper thread. /Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.