Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA award miles reinstatement / redeposit fees, issues, questions thru 30 Jun 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 20, 2016, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Award Reinstatement / Miles Redeposit / Expired Miles Reinstatement (Awards secured by 30 June 2020)

NOTE: This thread is obsolescent, and doesn’t apply to awards secured after 30 June 2020. See this thread for changes in effect 1 July 2020.

AAdvantage award reinstatement / reissuance charges Link

Prior to ticketing, you may change your AAdvantage travel award reservations with no charge incurred for a number of stipulated changes. However, if your tickets are reissued after the original ticketing, a charge may apply for each ticket. This service charge is paid at the time your ticket is reissued and is subject to change without notice. Upgrade, companion and discount award travel is subject to restrictions of fare purchased.

AAdvantage miles will be reinstated for unused and unexpired awards upon payment of a processing fee. For each additional award reinstatement from the same account at the same time, an additional charge will be collected. These charges are payable by credit card. Gift cards may not be used.

Expired tickets will not be reinstated. If a portion of the miles used to claim an award ticket has expired, only those miles that have not expired will be reinstated. Partially used tickets will not be reinstated.
Reinstating flight awards Link

Contact American Airlines Reservations for assistance with canceling your flight award reservation and requesting mileage reinstatement.

You can request to have your AAdvantage mileage reinstated for a wholly unused AAdvantage award ticket and if the ticket has not expired
  • The reinstatement charge is $150 per account for the first award ticket.

• Additional award tickets reinstated to the same account at the same time will have a $25 charge per ticket

• This fee will be waived for Executive Platinum (and Concierge Key) members using miles from their account
NOTE: If bookings are on separate PNRs, AA is likely to want $150 each, according to various member posts in other threads. Push back by saying you know that the computer wants to charge $150 each, but this explicitly contradicts the published rules (assuming miles were charged to the same account), so could the agent please manually adjust the amount charged.

Expired miles may also be reinstated within an 18 month period of time, but these will generally require a reinstatement fee or a reingagement requirement that will require certain levels of AA travel. There’s no other way known to reactivate an account with miles reinstated, though it’s theoretically possible to petition AAdvantage customer service for mercy in force majeure issues (e.g. military deployment or other condition beyond one’s control). Contact AA for your specific situation.

Print Wikipost

AA award miles reinstatement / redeposit fees, issues, questions thru 30 Jun 2020

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2017, 9:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by milesandmoremiles
Another worthless "article" from that hack Elliott.

The airline is not a charity and even with cancer there are plenty of non travel things that could have been done to keep mileage active.
Absolutely.

And especially about what a knuckle-dragging idiot he is.

This is but one of thousands of examples of what a disingenuous, deceitful boob he is:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25703514-post6.html

To quote the man himself:
Originally Posted by Elliot.org
Truth is, we don’t need to manufacture any controversies when it comes to airlines. We have enough real ones already.

...And that the blogosphere, eager for another story trashing airline customer service, pounced on it.

Last edited by JonNYC; Feb 13, 2017 at 9:19 am
Old Feb 13, 2017, 9:02 am

Programs: AA EXP
There are literally millions of cancer survivors in the US, the vast majority of whom don't stoop to attempting to cash in on their experience (or enabling miserable hacks like Elliott).
Old Feb 13, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: AA PLT
Expiration is expiration but would be curious to know how far past the date this was as a reference point.

I don't mean to compare but my best friend battled brain cancer for 7 years and still managed to check email and stay online (even during the most terrible of treatments). As rjw242 mentioned how is the person in the article an exception?

I've had gripes with American over the years but my own personal experience is they have shown me compassion during some major hardships on more than a few occasions.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 11:09 am

no....just No.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 11:10 am

can sign up for a credit card and get literally half of them back virtually for spending normal amounts with little hardship for people who have managed to accumulate 90k in the past
Old Feb 13, 2017, 11:18 am

Programs: AA
Could one have signed up for AAdvantage Dining, even without an AA-branded credit card, and earned miles? For a period when I didn't fly AA or have an AA-branded card, I recall no issues keeping my account active using that method.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 11:35 am

I for one was very pleased with AA. My wife had a critical diagnosis about a year ago and at the time we had award reservations for both Hawaii and Europe. We needed a physician letter but for both reservations the miles were put back in our accounts without any fees. One way to Hawaii was with HA miles. They did charge a fee to put the miles back. We also had one leg on Jet Blue that we paid for and they would not refund the $$ but gave us a credit.

All in all my kudos to AA for at least in my case they came through.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I went through cancer treatments and didn't let any of my miles expire - AA, UA, or AS, and I only fly AA these days. She's just trying to guilt AA into some freebies using her cancer as an excuse. As a cancer survivor this sickens me, almost as much as those people who set up a "gofundme" without any evidence that it's actually paying for treatments.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG GLD, Starbucks (SBUX) Super Duper Executive Gold Global Priority Platinum Prestige
The reactions can be seen as embittering

Is the survivor entitled the miles? Clearly "no" under AA's program rules. However, not granting her a gesture of goodwill based on her circumstances is a reputational risk whose impacts far outweigh any cost-saving benefit from a strict reading of the rules. The cost to mitigating the risk was a one time exception that either no one would hear about or would become a great media story. And, this is without taking into consideration the moral questions... just my two cents as an analyst
Old Feb 13, 2017, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by sudden729
However, not granting her a gesture of goodwill based on her circumstances is a reputational risk whose impacts far outweigh any cost-saving benefit from a strict reading of the rules.
As an analyst, do you claim to have access to the confidential AA data needed to support such a statement of fact?
Old Feb 13, 2017, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG GLD, Starbucks (SBUX) Super Duper Executive Gold Global Priority Platinum Prestige
Originally Posted by rjw242
As an analyst, do you claim to have access to the confidential AA data needed to support such a statement of fact?
as an analyst - you got me. was referring to my training as a business analyst, not claiming to be an analyst at AA

statement of fact - would my statement be more agreeable if I added qualifiers like "could" and "might" or should I be penalized for saying something I so strongly believe in? again you got me, no quantifiable data to support... but that shouldn't surprise you if you have knowledge of risk management. how do we qualify reputational and regulatory risk (esp. in my industry) when the best judgment of the political/regulatory climate or a customer reaction is an 80/20 or best guess? we can only state our belief that the likelihood of a risk is X and an impact is Y, then get weigh-in from second-line risk officers. coming from a more conservative industry in terms of reputational risk evaluations, that was my assessment. you may feel free to disagree and point out why
Old Feb 13, 2017, 7:15 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
At the bottom of the Elliott article:

Originally Posted by Elliott.org
Should we try to help Pam Kalra retrieve her miles?
  • No (78%, 838 Votes)
  • Yes (22%, 233 Votes)
Total Voters: 1,071
Old Feb 13, 2017, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat
<redacted> It really does anger me, a cancer survivor as well as having family cancer survivors. AA reinstated award tickets for no fee with doctors orders were sent in for our family. We did out due diligence and contacted AA respectfully when the ticket was still valid (12 months)- mileage expiration date is 18 months from the last activity date- even a magazine order can keep mileage active. During that 18 month period, surely a person or family member is keeping track of things of value and financial issues.

Using cancer as an excuse to bash a company for following their policy is deplorable. Be an adult and be accountable.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 13, 2017 at 10:43 pm Reason: Redacted discussion of moderator actions
Old Feb 14, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: none
Originally Posted by controller1
At the bottom of the Elliott article:
The results of this survey can be used to prove anything you want. Assuming the numbers are accurate (i.e., they reflect the actual responses), the population is self-selecting. Only those who care to answer actually responded, not a scientifically based survey.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 9:26 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
[QUOTE=flyerguy1975;27905623 During that 18 month period, surely a person or family member is keeping track of things of value and financial issues.[/QUOTE]

+1. I imagine they, or a proxy, were able to pay their mortgage, utility and other bills on time, not overdraw their bank accounts, pay taxes etc during this time. The fact that they neglected their AA account indicates they thought of it as low value.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.