Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA award miles reinstatement / redeposit fees, issues, questions thru 30 Jun 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 20, 2016, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Award Reinstatement / Miles Redeposit / Expired Miles Reinstatement (Awards secured by 30 June 2020)

NOTE: This thread is obsolescent, and doesn’t apply to awards secured after 30 June 2020. See this thread for changes in effect 1 July 2020.

AAdvantage award reinstatement / reissuance charges Link

Prior to ticketing, you may change your AAdvantage travel award reservations with no charge incurred for a number of stipulated changes. However, if your tickets are reissued after the original ticketing, a charge may apply for each ticket. This service charge is paid at the time your ticket is reissued and is subject to change without notice. Upgrade, companion and discount award travel is subject to restrictions of fare purchased.

AAdvantage miles will be reinstated for unused and unexpired awards upon payment of a processing fee. For each additional award reinstatement from the same account at the same time, an additional charge will be collected. These charges are payable by credit card. Gift cards may not be used.

Expired tickets will not be reinstated. If a portion of the miles used to claim an award ticket has expired, only those miles that have not expired will be reinstated. Partially used tickets will not be reinstated.
Reinstating flight awards Link

Contact American Airlines Reservations for assistance with canceling your flight award reservation and requesting mileage reinstatement.

You can request to have your AAdvantage mileage reinstated for a wholly unused AAdvantage award ticket and if the ticket has not expired
  • The reinstatement charge is $150 per account for the first award ticket.

• Additional award tickets reinstated to the same account at the same time will have a $25 charge per ticket

• This fee will be waived for Executive Platinum (and Concierge Key) members using miles from their account
NOTE: If bookings are on separate PNRs, AA is likely to want $150 each, according to various member posts in other threads. Push back by saying you know that the computer wants to charge $150 each, but this explicitly contradicts the published rules (assuming miles were charged to the same account), so could the agent please manually adjust the amount charged.

Expired miles may also be reinstated within an 18 month period of time, but these will generally require a reinstatement fee or a reingagement requirement that will require certain levels of AA travel. There’s no other way known to reactivate an account with miles reinstated, though it’s theoretically possible to petition AAdvantage customer service for mercy in force majeure issues (e.g. military deployment or other condition beyond one’s control). Contact AA for your specific situation.

Print Wikipost

AA award miles reinstatement / redeposit fees, issues, questions thru 30 Jun 2020

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2020, 9:17 am

I had booked 2 one way award tickets for travel this weekend but when I called yesterday to cancel they were willing to cancel and redeposit miles for only ticket that was booked before Mar 1. The second one way ticket was booked on Mar 5 and hence they were going to charge $150 to redeposit the miles. The flight is this evening at 6:25PM. Any ideas on if the miles can be salvaged without paying the $150 fee?

Background info: The tickets were for my son to fly back from college over Easter weekend and the decision to go with online classes was made during spring break which was after I had bought the tickets.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 10:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by svasandani
Background info: The tickets were for my son to fly back from college over Easter weekend and the decision to go with online classes was made during spring break which was after I had bought the tickets.
One set of tickets I had the twitter team cancel was booked for my son to fly home to visit us over Easter as well. He's in AZ, and I'm in VA. I told the twitter folks that since both of our states had a stay at home order, I'd like them to cancel and redposit my miles (they were web specials). I got a reply about an hour later saying no problem, and my miles were refunded right away. Try the twitter team.
JDiver likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by skydve1
One set of tickets I had the twitter team cancel was booked for my son to fly home to visit us over Easter as well. He's in AZ, and I'm in VA. I told the twitter folks that since both of our states had a stay at home order, I'd like them to cancel and redposit my miles (they were web specials). I got a reply about an hour later saying no problem, and my miles were refunded right away. Try the twitter team.
Thanks. The twitter team came through.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 2:50 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Originally Posted by rbhdal
Award Miles Redeposit Time?

Checking to see how long it has taken others to receive their redeposited miles. I had AA cancel several Web Special Awards and they said the points would be redeposited without the fee--which is great! I heard it's taking a little longer to redeposit, which is understandable. Here are my stats:

Cancelled Web Special Award Ticket: 3/19/20
Received Redeposited Miles: Currently Waiting
Originally Posted by isle-hawg
Called to canx two award bookings, one to CUN the other TUS just now. The later a web special. On hold about 2 minutes. Getting refund of all miles, taxes and fees (including canx fee) without me asking. AA is stepping up during awful time for the travel industry and them especially.
Originally Posted by isle-hawg
Called in 3/21 midday. Miles redeposited early this morning for both trips.
Originally Posted by rj7878
Did you get your $5.60 refund also? My miles were redeposited several days ago, but still no refund showing up on my credit card.
Received it 3/30
Old Apr 10, 2020, 4:00 pm

I have an AAdvantage award reservation transatlantic flight from AMS to the US June 6 which I booked 7/30/2019. The arrival has changed by 3h 14m so I know I can cancel and have the miles redeposited without a fee.

However I upgraded the economy seats (two passengers) to Main Cabin Extra. The total on those upgrades is $289. I have read numerous accounts of the miles being redeposited, taxes refunded, and the redeposit fee waived, but I have yet to see a data point where seat upgrades were also refunded.

AA has suspended the AMS > DFW portion until June 4, which is two days before my scheduled flight. I'm going to continue to wait and see if that date slips further before I contact AA.

Just curious if there are any data points on the upgrade fee being refunded.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 8:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
NOTE: This thread is obsolescent, and doesn’t apply to awards secured after 31 May 2020.

See this thread for changes in effect 1 May 2020.

Posts that belong in the new thread, https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...un-2020-a.html, will be moved there.

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 14, 2020 at 10:09 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.