Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA award miles reinstatement / redeposit fees, issues, questions thru 30 Jun 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 20, 2016, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Award Reinstatement / Miles Redeposit / Expired Miles Reinstatement (Awards secured by 30 June 2020)

NOTE: This thread is obsolescent, and doesn’t apply to awards secured after 30 June 2020. See this thread for changes in effect 1 July 2020.

AAdvantage award reinstatement / reissuance charges Link

Prior to ticketing, you may change your AAdvantage travel award reservations with no charge incurred for a number of stipulated changes. However, if your tickets are reissued after the original ticketing, a charge may apply for each ticket. This service charge is paid at the time your ticket is reissued and is subject to change without notice. Upgrade, companion and discount award travel is subject to restrictions of fare purchased.

AAdvantage miles will be reinstated for unused and unexpired awards upon payment of a processing fee. For each additional award reinstatement from the same account at the same time, an additional charge will be collected. These charges are payable by credit card. Gift cards may not be used.

Expired tickets will not be reinstated. If a portion of the miles used to claim an award ticket has expired, only those miles that have not expired will be reinstated. Partially used tickets will not be reinstated.
Reinstating flight awards Link

Contact American Airlines Reservations for assistance with canceling your flight award reservation and requesting mileage reinstatement.

You can request to have your AAdvantage mileage reinstated for a wholly unused AAdvantage award ticket and if the ticket has not expired
  • The reinstatement charge is $150 per account for the first award ticket.

• Additional award tickets reinstated to the same account at the same time will have a $25 charge per ticket

• This fee will be waived for Executive Platinum (and Concierge Key) members using miles from their account
NOTE: If bookings are on separate PNRs, AA is likely to want $150 each, according to various member posts in other threads. Push back by saying you know that the computer wants to charge $150 each, but this explicitly contradicts the published rules (assuming miles were charged to the same account), so could the agent please manually adjust the amount charged.

Expired miles may also be reinstated within an 18 month period of time, but these will generally require a reinstatement fee or a reingagement requirement that will require certain levels of AA travel. There’s no other way known to reactivate an account with miles reinstated, though it’s theoretically possible to petition AAdvantage customer service for mercy in force majeure issues (e.g. military deployment or other condition beyond one’s control). Contact AA for your specific situation.

Print Wikipost

AA award miles reinstatement / redeposit fees, issues, questions thru 30 Jun 2020

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2019, 6:13 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
Yeah, but the system should be smart enough to know I'm EXP and redeposit for free. But, as stated above, AA's IT isn't known for being anywhere close to good and they have incentives to make you call, even if there is no fee.
They have never waived the fee for me and I am exp unless I do the same flight different dates
Old Apr 1, 2019, 9:49 pm

If two or more awards are being redeposited to the same account at the same time, the fees are $150 for the first award, $25 for every award thereafter. Note the awards do not have to share the same PNR
Is that true even for completely different flights with different start and end points? For example, cancel Ticket 1 (JFK - LAX), and Ticket 2 (SFO - LAS) at the same time and pay $150+$25=$175?
Old Apr 2, 2019, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Sean54
Is that true even for completely different flights with different start and end points? For example, cancel Ticket 1 (JFK - LAX), and Ticket 2 (SFO - LAS) at the same time and pay $150+$25=$175?
Yes, as long as all the miles came from a single account, and the redeposit request for both awards is made at the same time.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 12:10 am

Redepositing awards incurs a fee of $150
Any experience with getting the $150 reinstatement fee waived for medical reasons with documentation?
Old Apr 9, 2019, 10:59 pm

"Upgrading" class of service by using miles requires redepositing the original award and issuing a new one for the higher class if service. AA will waive the deposit fee on the redeposited award, and will not charge for this.
Will this reset the 12 month award validity?
Will the entire ticket be redeposited even if only upgrading one-way of the round trip?
I need to rebook a flight outside the 12 month window and trying to avoid the $150 redeposit fee.
Old May 30, 2019, 12:16 pm

Yet again I have had a telephone reservation agent insist that same-time reinstatement of multiple cancelled awards is $150 per award despite American's own website saying it is $150 for the first award and $25 for others reinstated at the same time. She even claimed her Help Desk confirmed this. Unfortunately she took this position after I had paid $150 to reinstate the first award and there was no way I was going to needlessly pay $150 for each of the remaining ones. So I have had to fire off yet anther email to Aadvantage CS asking them to straighten this all out. Which they will do but at a huge cost in my time and theirs. Why don't the agents and their supervisors know the rules of their own company?
Old May 30, 2019, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by JetAway
Yet again I have had a telephone reservation agent insist that same-time reinstatement of multiple cancelled awards is $150 per award despite American's own website saying it is $150 for the first award and $25 for others reinstated at the same time. She even claimed her Help Desk confirmed this. Unfortunately she took this position after I had paid $150 to reinstate the first award...
If you have already paid $150, then it's a separate transaction (not "same-time" as you said) and indeed you have to pay another $150. For the correct fee you have to pay all of it (e.g. $175) in a single transaction. They still might refuse, but then you HUCA.
Old May 30, 2019, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
If you have already paid $150, then it's a separate transaction (not "same-time" as you said) and indeed you have to pay another $150. For the correct fee you have to pay all of it (e.g. $175) in a single transaction. They still might refuse, but then you HUCA.
It was one phone call but she refused to redeposit the miles from the first award until I paid the $150. And then she said the next one would be $150 also. I asked her to undo the first transaction but she claimed she couldn't. What bothers me most is that if it has happened to me several times, as it has, then it must be happening to others on a fairly large scale. And it is likely hitting those who can ill afford these fees pretty hard, such as families with children. If both an agent and her supervisor erroneously say the fees must be paid then most will do so, even if it is hundreds of dollars, in order to preserve miles it may have taken them years to accumulate. It's a really callous and disgraceful situation.

Last edited by JetAway; May 30, 2019 at 1:57 pm
Old May 30, 2019, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by JetAway
It was one phone call but she refused to redeposit the miles from the first award until I paid the $150.
That is the point at which you must HUCA. It has to be done all together. Sorry, but you got screwed.
Old May 30, 2019, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
That is the point at which you must HUCA. It has to be done all together. Sorry, but you got screwed.
Sorry to disagree but I've redeposited awards multiple times and they have always taken the credit card after I give them the info for the first award. But they then take the info for the subsequent awards. Therefor I had no reason to think this agent was doing anything wrong. I'm not out any money in the sense that the awards are still valid and I can use them at a different date. But given that I can simply redeposit awards with UA at a couple of computer clicks, the half hour I spent on this exercise was really annoying.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Over the years I've found that when I cancel and redeposit an award ticket, 60% of the time the miles go back immediately, while the other 40% of the times they don't.

If I don't see them redeposited in 2-3 days I give AA a call back. Typically the agent will look at the record and then come back with something like "there, now it's set up for redeposit, you should see the miles momentarily and the taxes in a few weeks." I truly have no idea what the agents are doing (incorrectly) in those instances where the miles aren't redeposited immediately.

Bottom line, don't worry about whatever refunds is showing, just give AA a call back and ask them again to redeposit the miles on this PNR.
What has been people's recent experience with the timing of having miles redeposited? I, too, am used to the redeposit being immediate. I canceled three award reservations two days ago and haven't seen the miles back yet.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by Blumie
What has been people's recent experience with the timing of having miles redeposited? I, too, am used to the redeposit being immediate. I canceled three award reservations two days ago and haven't seen the miles back yet.
If they don't appear after 2-3 days, call. My experience has been that there is usually a problem somewhere-usually on AA's end. It sometimes seem that matters drop into someone's 'In Box' and simply sink to the bottom.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 3:51 pm

I'm not sure this is the right thread to post ... moderators please move as appropriate.

This afternoon I looked at my AA e-summary. Something I haven't done thoroughly in .... well.... a long time. Maybe not ever since the merger, when I recall doing a sanity check the number was correct. The reason being, my travel post merger has been very simple. Pretty much pleasure travel to the Caribbean or occasional Buffalo for family. I had too much other stuff going and was no longer spending effort chasing the miles/points game on one airline. I did continue to use the AAdvantadge Mastercard as my primary travel card when making any AA flights for sure due to the bonus points, and for most other travel related purchases as well. There was enough periodic use on the card I never worried about my AA FF miles expiring. I wasn't using awards, and the miles balance went slowly up, about in line with the small miles distances and other occasional purchases I was putting on the card. So it's been a long time until today that I scrutinized in detail.

What I didn't realize until I looked in more detail today, that although it looks AA purchase $$ were credited OK when I used the Card, that the actual AA FF miles have not been credited at all. Except for the very last trip I made in April. That's why I noticed it. The April trip miles were showing and the March trip miles were not. OK, no problem, just some glitch I can get fixed on the March trip. But then I went back the two years I could with the online tool, there are no other AA miles credits at all.

I will start to reconcile all this tonight, to the extent I can pull dates and ticket numbers together from old emails. Thankfully I tend to never discard airline reservation emails in the trash so hopefully still have most of these in-between my two email accounts. Boarding passes and the like are hit or miss.

My question is, how long can I go back and get these miles credited? It wasn't very long with US - I think a year or two - but I couldn't find anything in my quick search on AA's website stating the expiration for flight miles being credited. Is it the same as the 18 months for miles reactivation? Thanks! and Ugh. :-( It's probably not that much but still now I am kicking myself for whatever miles I have lost.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
I'm not sure this is the right thread to post ... moderators please move as appropriate.

This afternoon I looked at my AA e-summary. Something I haven't done thoroughly in .... well.... a long time. Maybe not ever since the merger, when I recall doing a sanity check the number was correct. The reason being, my travel post merger has been very simple. Pretty much pleasure travel to the Caribbean or occasional Buffalo for family. I had too much other stuff going and was no longer spending effort chasing the miles/points game on one airline. I did continue to use the AAdvantadge Mastercard as my primary travel card when making any AA flights for sure due to the bonus points, and for most other travel related purchases as well. There was enough periodic use on the card I never worried about my AA FF miles expiring. I wasn't using awards, and the miles balance went slowly up, about in line with the small miles distances and other occasional purchases I was putting on the card. So it's been a long time until today that I scrutinized in detail.

What I didn't realize until I looked in more detail today, that although it looks AA purchase $$ were credited OK when I used the Card, that the actual AA FF miles have not been credited at all. Except for the very last trip I made in April. That's why I noticed it. The April trip miles were showing and the March trip miles were not. OK, no problem, just some glitch I can get fixed on the March trip. But then I went back the two years I could with the online tool, there are no other AA miles credits at all.

I will start to reconcile all this tonight, to the extent I can pull dates and ticket numbers together from old emails. Thankfully I tend to never discard airline reservation emails in the trash so hopefully still have most of these in-between my two email accounts. Boarding passes and the like are hit or miss.

My question is, how long can I go back and get these miles credited? It wasn't very long with US - I think a year or two - but I couldn't find anything in my quick search on AA's website stating the expiration for flight miles being credited. Is it the same as the 18 months for miles reactivation? Thanks! and Ugh. :-( It's probably not that much but still now I am kicking myself for whatever miles I have lost.
Did your AAdvantage number appear on your boarding passes? Did you remember to add your AAdvantage number to your booking when you reserved your AA flights? (Just paying with your AA credit card does not automatically add your AAdvantage number to your reservation record.)
Old Jun 13, 2019, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Did your AAdvantage number appear on your boarding passes? Did you remember to add your AAdvantage number to your booking when you reserved your AA flights? (Just paying with your AA credit card does not automatically add your AAdvantage number to your reservation record.)
Definitely was not putting the number in proactively when the reservation was made on the website, so that's on me. Because the miles on those routes were small, and the Miles balance steadily increasing incrementally on the card, it seemed "about right". I just didn't realize until this afternoon it was only from the purchase $$. *Sigh*

How far can I go back to submit the uncredited miles?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.