Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA award miles reinstatement / redeposit fees, issues, questions thru 30 Jun 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 20, 2016, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Award Reinstatement / Miles Redeposit / Expired Miles Reinstatement (Awards secured by 30 June 2020)

NOTE: This thread is obsolescent, and doesn’t apply to awards secured after 30 June 2020. See this thread for changes in effect 1 July 2020.

AAdvantage award reinstatement / reissuance charges Link

Prior to ticketing, you may change your AAdvantage travel award reservations with no charge incurred for a number of stipulated changes. However, if your tickets are reissued after the original ticketing, a charge may apply for each ticket. This service charge is paid at the time your ticket is reissued and is subject to change without notice. Upgrade, companion and discount award travel is subject to restrictions of fare purchased.

AAdvantage miles will be reinstated for unused and unexpired awards upon payment of a processing fee. For each additional award reinstatement from the same account at the same time, an additional charge will be collected. These charges are payable by credit card. Gift cards may not be used.

Expired tickets will not be reinstated. If a portion of the miles used to claim an award ticket has expired, only those miles that have not expired will be reinstated. Partially used tickets will not be reinstated.
Reinstating flight awards Link

Contact American Airlines Reservations for assistance with canceling your flight award reservation and requesting mileage reinstatement.

You can request to have your AAdvantage mileage reinstated for a wholly unused AAdvantage award ticket and if the ticket has not expired
  • The reinstatement charge is $150 per account for the first award ticket.

• Additional award tickets reinstated to the same account at the same time will have a $25 charge per ticket

• This fee will be waived for Executive Platinum (and Concierge Key) members using miles from their account
NOTE: If bookings are on separate PNRs, AA is likely to want $150 each, according to various member posts in other threads. Push back by saying you know that the computer wants to charge $150 each, but this explicitly contradicts the published rules (assuming miles were charged to the same account), so could the agent please manually adjust the amount charged.

Expired miles may also be reinstated within an 18 month period of time, but these will generally require a reinstatement fee or a reingagement requirement that will require certain levels of AA travel. There’s no other way known to reactivate an account with miles reinstated, though it’s theoretically possible to petition AAdvantage customer service for mercy in force majeure issues (e.g. military deployment or other condition beyond one’s control). Contact AA for your specific situation.

Print Wikipost

AA award miles reinstatement / redeposit fees, issues, questions thru 30 Jun 2020

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2017, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by navatwal
It's for Feb a couple of days before Presidents' Day.

travel from LHR to SJC in F.

lookiog for a flight 1 or two days later but no award availability.... premiums seats for SJC have dried up.

if I switched to SFO would there still be a charge?
Most likely. AA generally treats changing origin/destination to different co-terminal airport as not simply a routing change. You might get lucky on this depending on your agent, but I would not expect a free change. YMMV.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 12, 2017, 3:32 pm

Have ticketed award TYO-DFW-MCI. I want to change the destination to DSM (TYO-DFW-DSM). I thought this would be $150 first ticket + $25 each additional ticket on PNR. However, when I called in the agent said it would be $150/each ticket for changing the destination. Is this right?
Old Jan 12, 2017, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by duffmankc
Have ticketed award TYO-DFW-MCI. I want to change the destination to DSM (TYO-DFW-DSM). I thought this would be $150 first ticket + $25 each additional ticket on PNR. However, when I called in the agent said it would be $150/each ticket for changing the destination. Is this right?
It's interesting, the aa.com language on this has changed somewhat. For changing flight awards:

For MileSAAver awards, origin or destination changes to the itinerary will incur a change fee of $150, even when retaining the same award type

For cancelling and reinstating the miles, it still has the $150 + $25 for each add'l ticket part:

The reinstatement charge is $150 per account for the first award ticket. Additional award tickets reinstated to the same account at the same time will have a $25 charge per ticket

From my recollection, these used to be treated the same, not sure if this is a change in policy or just bad wording on aa.com. I would definitely HUACA a few times though regardless.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 5:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It is correct; if there is availability, if the miles are from one account, then cancel , deposit miles and rebook

That has been the published details for quite a long while
Old Jan 13, 2017, 8:33 am

Unfortunately it is 4 business seats on JAL for TYO-DFW and there is no additional availability showing for that date or other close dates. Can't risk cancelling with just hope that they re-open those seats. Seems odd that they make it cheaper to cancel/redeposit/rebook vs just changing the destination.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 6:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
http://press.jal.co.jp/en/release/201701/004122.html

Japan Airlines just put out this press release. Looks like JL005/006 will now fly in and out of Haneda instead of Narita, and JL003/004 will be up-gauged to 777-300ER. Great news for us NYers.

I currently have a one way award on JL005 which I no longer wish to redeem because of another fare I found to Japan. Will the change in destination from NRT to HND allow me to cancel the award and get a full refund of miles with no fees assessed?
Old Jan 19, 2017, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by Pochama
Will the change in destination from NRT to HND allow me to cancel the award and get a full refund of miles with no fees assessed?
Unfortunately, in my experience, changing co-terminals has generally been considered a routing change wrt the legacy awards. Not always the case (certainly agent and review dependent), so always worth a few HUCA attempts. On the plus side, U.S.-Japan awards didn't really see too significant of an increase during last year's changes.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:29 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by Pochama
http://press.jal.co.jp/en/release/201701/004122.html

Japan Airlines just put out this press release. Looks like JL005/006 will now fly in and out of Haneda instead of Narita, and JL003/004 will be up-gauged to 777-300ER. Great news for us NYers.

I currently have a one way award on JL005 which I no longer wish to redeem because of another fare I found to Japan. Will the change in destination from NRT to HND allow me to cancel the award and get a full refund of miles with no fees assessed?
Definitely no fee to cancel and redeposit. Airport change is very significant.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 3:16 pm

Programs: US, AA, Delta, BA, Hilton, Marriot, HYATT
Are the redeposit rules same for OW partner awards (free for EXP)?
Old Feb 1, 2017, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by virtuo0
Are the redeposit rules same for OW partner awards (free for EXP)?
Yes.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 7:23 pm

Programs: US, AA, Delta, BA, Hilton, Marriot, HYATT
Originally Posted by Djokison
Yes.
Thank you.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 8:33 am

Programs: AA PLT
Elliott: AA won't waive miles reinstatement fee for cancer survivor

"It baffles me that American can be so insensitive"

Cancer survivor had 90K miles that expired during cancer treatment. American offered to reinstate with a fee, of course.

"As of this writing, nothing has come of Kalra’s efforts to get back her miles. Usually our website does not deal with mileage cases, but we’re wondering if this time we should be the ones making an exception in the hopes that eventually American will too."

Thoughts?
Old Feb 13, 2017, 8:42 am

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Another worthless "article" from that hack Elliott.

The airline is not a charity and even with cancer there are plenty of non travel things that could have been done to keep mileage active.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: UA-SIL MR-TIT HYT-GBL IHG-PLT HH-DIA WYN-PLT AMEX-PLT
There is no requirement to fly to keep miles active, and activity requirement clearly stated in AAdvvantage materials. I don't see any rational basis for special treatment.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 8:50 am

She's been offered to reinstate the miles if she feels that's worth it. She obviously doesn't.

Case closed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.