Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA award miles reinstatement / redeposit fees, issues, questions thru 30 Jun 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 20, 2016, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Award Reinstatement / Miles Redeposit / Expired Miles Reinstatement (Awards secured by 30 June 2020)

NOTE: This thread is obsolescent, and doesn’t apply to awards secured after 30 June 2020. See this thread for changes in effect 1 July 2020.

AAdvantage award reinstatement / reissuance charges Link

Prior to ticketing, you may change your AAdvantage travel award reservations with no charge incurred for a number of stipulated changes. However, if your tickets are reissued after the original ticketing, a charge may apply for each ticket. This service charge is paid at the time your ticket is reissued and is subject to change without notice. Upgrade, companion and discount award travel is subject to restrictions of fare purchased.

AAdvantage miles will be reinstated for unused and unexpired awards upon payment of a processing fee. For each additional award reinstatement from the same account at the same time, an additional charge will be collected. These charges are payable by credit card. Gift cards may not be used.

Expired tickets will not be reinstated. If a portion of the miles used to claim an award ticket has expired, only those miles that have not expired will be reinstated. Partially used tickets will not be reinstated.
Reinstating flight awards Link

Contact American Airlines Reservations for assistance with canceling your flight award reservation and requesting mileage reinstatement.

You can request to have your AAdvantage mileage reinstated for a wholly unused AAdvantage award ticket and if the ticket has not expired
  • The reinstatement charge is $150 per account for the first award ticket.

• Additional award tickets reinstated to the same account at the same time will have a $25 charge per ticket

• This fee will be waived for Executive Platinum (and Concierge Key) members using miles from their account
NOTE: If bookings are on separate PNRs, AA is likely to want $150 each, according to various member posts in other threads. Push back by saying you know that the computer wants to charge $150 each, but this explicitly contradicts the published rules (assuming miles were charged to the same account), so could the agent please manually adjust the amount charged.

Expired miles may also be reinstated within an 18 month period of time, but these will generally require a reinstatement fee or a reingagement requirement that will require certain levels of AA travel. There’s no other way known to reactivate an account with miles reinstated, though it’s theoretically possible to petition AAdvantage customer service for mercy in force majeure issues (e.g. military deployment or other condition beyond one’s control). Contact AA for your specific situation.

Print Wikipost

AA award miles reinstatement / redeposit fees, issues, questions thru 30 Jun 2020

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:01 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I just did one of these about two weeks ago, had 2 pax in F and 3 in J, same route and from same account. Agent was superhelpful and in fact explained how he had to manually override the charges so it wasn't $300.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Just to check Was this for 2 passengers undertaking the same journey , albeit on different reservations ?
The charge for the second one is $25 whether or not it is the same journey, as long as the reinstatement is done at the same time.
Originally Posted by stephem
I just did one of these about two weeks ago, had 2 pax in F and 3 in J, same route and from same account. Agent was superhelpful and in fact explained how he had to manually override the charges so it wasn't $300.
Good to know in case I encounter this in future (I have done this before and it just happened, I didn't need to know what was going on under the hood. But now it seems there are hassles with pmUS agents.)
Old Nov 23, 2015, 3:35 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
AAgent is wrong. The $25 should apply if miles are going to back to the same account at the same time. I've previously cancelled reservations and waited several months (at which point the original PNR wouldn't even pull up anything) before reinstating several at the same time.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 4:26 pm

The reservations were on separate PNRs - both are for me and came from the same AAdvantage account. I called again tonight - no dice, agent told me again that a $300 fee is correct, and she claimed she was a supervisor so her word was final.

On another note, I also called in to drop a segment at the end of my itinerary and two agents told me it would be a $150 fee.

This whole system of AAgents just choosing to slap members with $150 fees when they're not in the rules is very disappointing!
Old Nov 23, 2015, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"On another note, I also called in to drop a segment at the end of my itinerary and two agents told me it would be a $150 fee."

What was the itinerary, and what segment did you drop?
Old Nov 23, 2015, 4:39 pm

I was trying to drop SYD-BNE-CHC from a CPH-DUS-AUH-SYD-BNE-CHC itinerary. I paid 100,000 miles for two awards. It doesn't alter the latter ME-South Pacific award zones, so there is no reason for the $150 fee.

If I can't get an AAgent to drop the segment for free, then I'm just better off no showing. Which is a pity considering I don't want to tie up seats that QF could otherwise sell.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by tng11
I was trying to drop SYD-BNE-CHC from a CPH-DUS-AUH-SYD-BNE-CHC itinerary. I paid 100,000 miles for two awards. It doesn't alter the latter ME-South Pacific award zones, so there is no reason for the $150 fee.

If I can't get an AAgent to drop the segment for free, then I'm just better off no showing. Which is a pity considering I don't want to tie up seats that QF could otherwise sell.
Call AA back, and refer the agent to the in-house memo/advisory dated 02/03/11 and titled "Dropping OWFA segments."
Old Nov 23, 2015, 4:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Is it permitted to drop segments free of charge where dropping the segment changes the destination country.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is it permitted to drop segments free of charge where dropping the segment changes the destination country.
Yes, as long as doing so does not change the destination zone (or sub-zone, in the case of intra-North America awards).
Old Nov 23, 2015, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Yes, as long as doing so does not change the destination zone (or sub-zone, in the case of intra-North America awards).
Fair enough - I couldn't remember if it was ok as long as region stayed the same or whether it needed to be the same country
Old Nov 23, 2015, 5:05 pm
Suspended

Fair enough - I couldn't remember if it was ok as long as region stayed the same or whether it needed to be the same country
It's actually sort of neither the real determiner is if the internal award designation stays the same, so, that will -usually- be the former:

dropSeg by JonNYCme, on Flickr
Old Nov 23, 2015, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JonNYC
It's actually sort of neither the real determiner is if the internal award designation stays the same, so, that will -usually- be the former:

Can you give an example of where the destination zone (or sub-zone) remains the same after dropping one or more ending segments, but a fee applies for dropping the segment(s)?
Old Nov 23, 2015, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC

The picture is too small to read

Dave
Old Nov 23, 2015, 6:20 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

Dave
If you click on it, you'll be taken to a significantly larger, legible image.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 6:39 pm
Suspended

Dave
Originally Posted by JDiver
If you click on it, you'll be taken to a significantly larger, legible image.
Don't know of that was meant as a or a !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.