Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LAA 2-class Airbus 321S / A321H (Sharklets) (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2015, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Two Class Airbus A321-200 / A321S In Service as of Aug 2014
The Airbus A321-200 A321 is the stretched version of the A320 family of aircraft. AA is the world's largest operator of the A321 with 159 in service, 60 on order*. These will also replace most Boeing 757-223s. The A321 is coded by most sources as "32B", which means any A321 aircraft with "Sharklets™" blended wingtip devices. All 321s in the LAA fleet and order are technically "32B" aircraft, as they all arrive "out of the box" with Sharklets™.

The A321S variant of American's Airbus A321-200 aircraft is the "plain vanilla" two class twin engine narrow body replacing the Boeing 757-223 and filling in on routes with higher capacity requirements than those filled by the rapidly disappearing MD-80 or Boeing 737-800 and MAX 8 aircraft.

A321S and A321H: (16Y, 165Y including 38 MCE) two class “32B” A321-200 with Sharklets wingtip devices used in normal domestic and short international service, and in the A321H ETOPS version West Coast - Hawai’i service. SeatGuru “A321 V2”.

A321H: This particular two class A321 variant is fitted with auxiliary fuel tanks and is ETOPS rated, initially deployed on mainland-Hawai'i flights to replace the 757. Due to distance / fuel / load restrictions, some Hawai'i flights will be load-restricted, and seating may be changed if weather / winds aloft issues require it for weight and balance restrictions (higher probability on westbound flights).

First seats are said to be 21" wide, pitch 38"; Economy seats to be 18" wide, 31" pitch (34" in Main Cabin Extra / MCE / XE). But exit and bulkhead seats may be 16.5” wide. See gwade’s post here.

The new leather "slimline" articulated "slider" seats include:
  • "Main Cabin Extra" seats with extra leg room
  • In-flight WiFi
  • "Universal" plug 110 VAC and 5 VDC USB power at every seat
  • tilting 8.9" flatscreen IFE with AVOD at every seat** (complimentary in F) with hand controller. . . (IFE and power mounted on seat back in front of you)

Note: IFE boxes reduce under seat space in window and aisle seat rows.
Small mesh pouch provided for personal items. See #165 for photos.
Seat pitch in coach seems lower.

Exit row / notable seats include:
  • Row 11 (MCE / XE): A, B, and C have virtually infinite leg room but virtually no underseat storage due to a protrusion immediately behind the row 10 seats blocking access. D and E have infinite leg room and access to underseat storage under row 10. There is no F seat in this row due to the presence of a FA jumpseat. Pictures of row 11 are posted in post #366.
  • Row 12 (MCE). Due to a system limitation, AA (mostly incorrectly) has this coded as an exit row on the seat map. It is not. 12 A, B, C, D, and E are standard MCE seats. 12F has no seat in front of it and technically has a direct path to the exit (hence the legal requirement they designate at least that side as an exit row). The underseat storage under 10F is not easily accessible due to the presence of a FA jumpseat.
    • MCE / XE has limited overhead space: the bins above row 11 contain emergency gear
  • Row 24 (only B, C and D, E seats - may have somewhat limited recline)
  • Row 25 (25A and F have no seats in front of them)
  • Row 36 has limited recline and is directly in front of the Economy lavs

NOTE: Under “Project Oasis” all seats will be replaced, and seat pitch will be reduced. See Oasis: New seats & less pitch, WiFi IFE & power all 737 and A321 2019-21

**In Theaters Now” movies cost $8, “Best of the Big Screen” (older movies ) for $6 per movie, a “Premium Package” for $5 that includes unlimited 150 network shows on demand and 300 albums, 20 games and audio books. There’s also a Disney option for $4 that includes a variety of kids movies, TV shows, games and music. “Complimentary Programming” offers "NBC Universal on American" and "American Airlines Radio" network.

*July 2015
Print Wikipost

LAA 2-class Airbus 321S / A321H (Sharklets) (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2016, 11:54 am

Hello guys, does row 10 have normal recline?
Old Sep 4, 2016, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Not quite.

In May, 2013, AA flight attendants were told (in training) that the A321s would feature 24F/150Y and they were given training manuals with seat maps. Which is logical given that most domestic 757s would be replaced with A321s.

In June, 2013, Parker and Kirby ordered that seating density be increased on pmAA aircraft, and AA management who were hoping to keep their jobs (those below Horton) complied. Yes, Horton was still the nominal CEO, but immediately following the February announcement of the takeover, Parker essentially moved to DFW and began giving orders.

Horton's Airbus configuration mistake was the 8F/120Y A319 - but his plans for the A321 called for 24F.

His widebody configuration mistake (IMO) was the 772.

If someone posted that AA's plan was for 20F, they were mistaken (or simply posting without any knowledge of what they discussing). AA's plan was for 24F/150Y, and those plans were changed as discussed above.
I believe you can still see the original planned configuration in the safety videos on these planes - they show the evacuation route with the path lighting and it has a seatmap with the F cabin extending to 2L / 2R. Admittedly haven't flown in the 32B in a few months but I doubt they've bothered to change / fix it.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by daron4000
I believe you can still see the original planned configuration in the safety videos on these planes - they show the evacuation route with the path lighting and it has a seatmap with the F cabin extending to 2L / 2R. Admittedly haven't flown in the 32B in a few months but I doubt they've bothered to change / fix it.
Sure enough:
Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 3070
Size:  47.7 KB

Good catch, btw. Though I do wonder how much value we can put in the safety video. The 737 one shows an all Y configuration and I certainly hope that was never anyone's plan.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 10:54 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by lz80521
I'm wondering the same! Admittedly I haven't looked through every page of this thread but hopefully there's an answer somewhere.

Also - I'm pretty sure this is true but I've only flown on the 321s a few times - but I assume seats 12ABC and 13ABC are standard MCE with proper recline and movable arm rests? Just need some reassurance since with seatguru you get what you pay for Thanks!
Old Sep 19, 2016, 3:41 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Looks like my wife will have an involuntary downgrade from F on the Etops rated A321. The only window seat (her preference) is 21A which seat guru says may have limited recline. Anyone know for sure?
Old Oct 13, 2016, 7:25 pm

Have a redeye from LIH->LAX (AA 286), flying with one other person. I believe I'm in the right thread... Any thoughts on 8B/8C vs 24B/24C or row 12 (a through d)? Is row 12 an exit row or just MCE? Only one seat appears to be available in row 11. Am I missing a better option? Looking for the most leg room first and foremost.

Last edited by dblue; Oct 13, 2016 at 8:01 pm
Old Oct 14, 2016, 7:50 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by dblue
Have a redeye from LIH->LAX (AA 286), flying with one other person. I believe I'm in the right thread... Any thoughts on 8B/8C vs 24B/24C or row 12 (a through d)? Is row 12 an exit row or just MCE? Only one seat appears to be available in row 11. Am I missing a better option? Looking for the most leg room first and foremost.
If you want leg room take 24B and 24C. Also very easy to get in and out of.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 10:46 am

When can I book with confidence?

So, like a lot of people I actively avoid the LUS 321s. Well, two trips I specifically booked on 32Bs next month (DCA-DFW legs) have switched to 321s.

I understand equipment changes are part of the business, but is this going to be par for the course from here on out? Will I always have to assume that a 32B leg might very well be switched to a LUS 321?
Old Oct 15, 2016, 12:17 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by slutide
So, like a lot of people I actively avoid the LUS 321s. Well, two trips I specifically booked on 32Bs next month (DCA-DFW legs) have switched to 321s.

I understand equipment changes are part of the business, but is this going to be par for the course from here on out? Will I always have to assume that a 32B leg might very well be switched to a LUS 321?
Happened to me too on the way home to DCA next month from my honeymoon. I would imagine it has a high likelihood of occurring over the next few months.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 12:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by slutide

With full cross fleeting coming next year, short answer, yes.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by lz80521
I want to confirm that I flew LAA 2 class A321 (32B) and row 10 did have full recline. There is also a ton of room in the exit row behind.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 9:20 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum - 2M miles
Best Seat on 32B-Airbus A321 (Sharklets)

Flying to Hawaii and we are booked on several flights using the "32B-Airbus A321 (Sharklets)" per the AA website.

We have some really long flights - so trying to select the best seats with my Platinum status with the extra leg room. I have checked Seatguru and the seat map conflicts with the AA seatmap for our actual flights.

The AA seat map shows both rows 11 and 12 as exit row seats - but Seatguru only shows row 11 as exit row seat and states that these seats do NOT recline.

We are currently in row 12 - would appreciate any comment on these seats with regard to whether they recline, adequacy of additional legroom, have under seat storage, and have an entertainment screen located on seat back in prior row (versus the pull up one like in bulkhead seats). Lots of conflicting information out there.

WHich is the best extra legroom seats to select? (not interested in rows 24 or 25 in the back section)

Thank you for any help.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 10:32 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
The is additional discussion of the pluses and minuses of those seats in the following thread:
LAA: Airbus A321H / 321 ETOPS replacing LAX Boeing 757 to Hawaii (master thd)

Originally Posted by TWA884
You're welcome.

Just so that you aren't surprised, both 25 A and F have fixed armrests with tray tables housed in them. Since there are no seatbacks in front of those seats, the video screens are mounted on articulated arms that stow under the seat.

Another similarly situated seat is 12F, but that one is facing a cabin attendant jump seat.

Row 11, too, has virtually unlimited legroom, as it is located just behind the second set of exit doors. Row 24 is also pretty good - SeatGuru is wrong, those seats do fully recline, the exit doors, not two sets of exit windows as they wrongly illustrate, are located just ahead of row 24 - but the legroom is not quite as generous as in row 11.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 11:23 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum - 2M miles
So it sounds like exit row 11 versus exit row 12 has the most generous legroom?

Does exit row 11 fully recline - given that row 12 is also an exit row per AA seatmap?
Old Dec 15, 2016, 11:34 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Jwerking
So it sounds like exit row 11 versus exit row 12 has the most generous legroom?

Does exit row 11 fully recline - given that row 12 is also an exit row per AA seatmap?
Row 11 and seat 12F have the most generous legroom (here is an image of my legs fully stretched out seating in 11C). Seats 11 A-C fully recline, no ands, ifs or buts. I'm not sure about 11 D and E, since I never sat there, but I'd be surprised if they have a limited recline.

For additional information, take a look at the other thread beginning with the September 2015 posts (last four or five pages).

Last edited by TWA884; Dec 15, 2016 at 11:39 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.