Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LAA 2-class Airbus 321S / A321H (Sharklets) (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2015, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Two Class Airbus A321-200 / A321S In Service as of Aug 2014
The Airbus A321-200 A321 is the stretched version of the A320 family of aircraft. AA is the world's largest operator of the A321 with 159 in service, 60 on order*. These will also replace most Boeing 757-223s. The A321 is coded by most sources as "32B", which means any A321 aircraft with "Sharklets™" blended wingtip devices. All 321s in the LAA fleet and order are technically "32B" aircraft, as they all arrive "out of the box" with Sharklets™.

The A321S variant of American's Airbus A321-200 aircraft is the "plain vanilla" two class twin engine narrow body replacing the Boeing 757-223 and filling in on routes with higher capacity requirements than those filled by the rapidly disappearing MD-80 or Boeing 737-800 and MAX 8 aircraft.

A321S and A321H: (16Y, 165Y including 38 MCE) two class “32B” A321-200 with Sharklets wingtip devices used in normal domestic and short international service, and in the A321H ETOPS version West Coast - Hawai’i service. SeatGuru “A321 V2”.

A321H: This particular two class A321 variant is fitted with auxiliary fuel tanks and is ETOPS rated, initially deployed on mainland-Hawai'i flights to replace the 757. Due to distance / fuel / load restrictions, some Hawai'i flights will be load-restricted, and seating may be changed if weather / winds aloft issues require it for weight and balance restrictions (higher probability on westbound flights).

First seats are said to be 21" wide, pitch 38"; Economy seats to be 18" wide, 31" pitch (34" in Main Cabin Extra / MCE / XE). But exit and bulkhead seats may be 16.5” wide. See gwade’s post here.

The new leather "slimline" articulated "slider" seats include:
  • "Main Cabin Extra" seats with extra leg room
  • In-flight WiFi
  • "Universal" plug 110 VAC and 5 VDC USB power at every seat
  • tilting 8.9" flatscreen IFE with AVOD at every seat** (complimentary in F) with hand controller. . . (IFE and power mounted on seat back in front of you)

Note: IFE boxes reduce under seat space in window and aisle seat rows.
Small mesh pouch provided for personal items. See #165 for photos.
Seat pitch in coach seems lower.

Exit row / notable seats include:
  • Row 11 (MCE / XE): A, B, and C have virtually infinite leg room but virtually no underseat storage due to a protrusion immediately behind the row 10 seats blocking access. D and E have infinite leg room and access to underseat storage under row 10. There is no F seat in this row due to the presence of a FA jumpseat. Pictures of row 11 are posted in post #366.
  • Row 12 (MCE). Due to a system limitation, AA (mostly incorrectly) has this coded as an exit row on the seat map. It is not. 12 A, B, C, D, and E are standard MCE seats. 12F has no seat in front of it and technically has a direct path to the exit (hence the legal requirement they designate at least that side as an exit row). The underseat storage under 10F is not easily accessible due to the presence of a FA jumpseat.
    • MCE / XE has limited overhead space: the bins above row 11 contain emergency gear
  • Row 24 (only B, C and D, E seats - may have somewhat limited recline)
  • Row 25 (25A and F have no seats in front of them)
  • Row 36 has limited recline and is directly in front of the Economy lavs

NOTE: Under “Project Oasis” all seats will be replaced, and seat pitch will be reduced. See Oasis: New seats & less pitch, WiFi IFE & power all 737 and A321 2019-21

**In Theaters Now” movies cost $8, “Best of the Big Screen” (older movies ) for $6 per movie, a “Premium Package” for $5 that includes unlimited 150 network shows on demand and 300 albums, 20 games and audio books. There’s also a Disney option for $4 that includes a variety of kids movies, TV shows, games and music. “Complimentary Programming” offers "NBC Universal on American" and "American Airlines Radio" network.

*July 2015
Print Wikipost

LAA 2-class Airbus 321S / A321H (Sharklets) (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Thanks for the info. Row 2 chosen.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 1:39 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
My flight has Row 1 (bulkhead) and Row 4 (last row) available; both are flagged yellow on seatguru. Which would you prefer? Namely, how limited is the recline in Row 4?
Old Dec 28, 2017, 4:14 am

My flight from LAX to BOS on April 17 has been changed from 738 to 32B. I’m flying business. The AA seat map shows 16 business seats starting at row 1, seatguru shows a 3 class A321 which I assume is wrong? How do I know if it’s an updated A321 with seatback tvs? It’s AA1379
Old Dec 28, 2017, 7:02 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
My flight from LAX to BOS on April 17 has been changed from 738 to 32B. I’m flying business. The AA seat map shows 16 business seats starting at row 1, seatguru shows a 3 class A321 which I assume is wrong? How do I know if it’s an updated A321 with seatback tvs? It’s AA1379
Seatguru has become incredibly inaccurate since Tripadvisor bought them. Seatlink is marginally better.

If you see "32B sharklets" in the description of the plane on AA's website, this is a relatively new 321 with seatback IFE. If those words are not in the description, the plane is an LUS 321 with no seatback entertainment. Generally the LUS planes fly out of old USAir hubs (PHL, CLT, PHX, etc.) and the 32B's fly from the old AA hubs (LAX, DFW, etc.).
Old Dec 28, 2017, 9:30 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
...seatguru shows a 3 class A321 which I assume is wrong?
That's the A321T, which is used on the JFK LAX/SFO routes.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 4:07 am

Programs: AA
I'm flying on A32B (A321 V2 on seatguru) today from POS to MIA and was wondering which MCE seat was better. I currently have 8C selected but 10 C is also free. any advice?
Old Jan 12, 2018, 8:05 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by msf868
I'm flying on A32B (A321 V2 on seatguru) today from POS to MIA and was wondering which MCE seat was better. I currently have 8C selected but 10 C is also free. any advice?
10C would be right in front of the exit row, meaning no recline. But 8C is the bulkhead. I would probably choose 10C for the underseat storage, but neither are ideal. The best seat IMO is 12F, followed by 11C, D, E, A and B (in that order).
Old Mar 10, 2018, 6:03 am

Traveling 2 pax LAX-OGG next week. Looking at either 11A/C (B taken) or 12E/F. I would imagine if we take Row 11, we'll end up taking B and offering A or C to whoever is in B.

Don't care so much about under seat storage but would like to have the ability to get up without disturbing others. Is it easier to access the aisle from 12F vs 11A?

Is there a consensus for what's preferable; 11A/C (or 11A/B) vs 12E/F?
Old Mar 10, 2018, 7:30 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by slice
Traveling 2 pax LAX-OGG next week. Looking at either 11A/C (B taken) or 12E/F. I would imagine if we take Row 11, we'll end up taking B and offering A or C to whoever is in B.

Don't care so much about under seat storage but would like to have the ability to get up without disturbing others. Is it easier to access the aisle from 12F vs 11A?

Is there a consensus for what's preferable; 11A/C (or 11A/B) vs 12E/F?
If you are worried about aisle access for both people then I think row 11 would be the choice. You stand up right into the exit aisle and wouldn't have to step over anyone. 12F has the ability to walk forward and loop around 11 D/E for pretty easy aisle access but 12E would have to disturb 12D or step over the feet or legs 12F to get out.

The only potential positive for row 12 would be that 12E would have a "regular" tray table and PTV in the seat in front rather than 11A/B/C and 12F which will have try tables in the arms and PTVs that swing up from under the seat.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by BOSmw
If you are worried about aisle access for both people then I think row 11 would be the choice. You stand up right into the exit aisle and wouldn't have to step over anyone. 12F has the ability to walk forward and loop around 11 D/E for pretty easy aisle access but 12E would have to disturb 12D or step over the feet or legs 12F to get out.

The only potential positive for row 12 would be that 12E would have a "regular" tray table and PTV in the seat in front rather than 11A/B/C and 12F which will have try tables in the arms and PTVs that swing up from under the seat.
Excellent first post, BOSmw. Welcome to Flyertalk.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob
LAX-LIH in F (A321)

Sorry if I'm in the wrong place/didn't read back far enough...

Any recent F experiences to share on A321 to Hawaii? I am travelling from LAX-LIH in June, and have selected 2A,C,D, and F for my wife and 2 teens. I am aware of the (vast) difference between F on the A321T and S, so I somewhat understand what to expect, but just wanted to see what the experts here have to say.

I flew a decades old 767 on HA in F last year, and contrary to most reviews, was quite happy with the flight (mostly from a service perspective). Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks!
Old Mar 16, 2018, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by laxsnaogg
Sorry if I'm in the wrong place/didn't read back far enough...

Any recent F experiences to share on A321 to Hawaii? I am travelling from LAX-LIH in June, and have selected 2A,C,D, and F for my wife and 2 teens. I am aware of the (vast) difference between F on the A321T and S, so I somewhat understand what to expect, but just wanted to see what the experts here have to say.

I flew a decades old 767 on HA in F last year, and contrary to most reviews, was quite happy with the flight (mostly from a service perspective). Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks!
I flew this to Kona in January and am flying it to Maui tomorrow. It will be your standard domestic style recliner seat with an IFE screen in the seat back in front of you. On the afternoon LAX departure wave and the afternoon Hawaii departure wave there was a meal service, and I would imagine all Hawaii flights have the meal service. You also should get the "lite" Casper package of a blanket and a pillow, both of which I thought were pretty good.

All in all I thought it was pretty good for the ~ 6 hour flight. Certainly much better than you could see on a similar length LAX-BOS flight on some of the older 738s.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 6:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
Originally Posted by patmcpsu
My flight has Row 1 (bulkhead) and Row 4 (last row) available; both are flagged yellow on seatguru. Which would you prefer? Namely, how limited is the recline in Row 4?
Row 4 has the same recline as other rows. The seat cushion moving forward, and the recline isn't much, kind of like the 737 jet.. None of the F seats recline much, come to think of it. Row 4 has privacy bulkhead, too. My choice is 4A or 4F, private and comfortable. Bulkhead cannot extend legs all the way. Enjoy the flight.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 11:04 am

Location: Cupertino, CA - AA:PLT 2MM; Marriott:Plt; Hilton:Slv
Wanted to provide a "Row 11 Review". As a pretty good sized guy (read: wide, but not two seat wide), I have never had a problem with the whole "hard sided bulkhead / exit row" seats that some people say are slightly narrower. Man, was i wrong this time. Row 11 on the 321 is NOTICEABLY narrower. I usually like the Airbus economy seat because they are mostly 18 inches wide. I swear this had to be 16.5 inches. I was squeezed (slightly) on each side of my 11E seat. Damn fine seat otherwise, but if you're a good sized person, forget about it. I will absolutely take a standard MCE aisle next time.

Plus, you are pretty much guaranteed to have a seat mate in 11D. Using a standard MCE aisle at least increases the probability the middle seat could be empty.

YMMV
JDiver likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Yes, I’ve taken 12f over row 11 for that reason. Only one armrest is solid. Same with 25a but the smaller area in front of row 24 makes it harder to get in and out than 12f.
gwade likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.