Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LAA 2-class Airbus 321S / A321H (Sharklets) (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2015, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Two Class Airbus A321-200 / A321S In Service as of Aug 2014
The Airbus A321-200 A321 is the stretched version of the A320 family of aircraft. AA is the world's largest operator of the A321 with 159 in service, 60 on order*. These will also replace most Boeing 757-223s. The A321 is coded by most sources as "32B", which means any A321 aircraft with "Sharklets™" blended wingtip devices. All 321s in the LAA fleet and order are technically "32B" aircraft, as they all arrive "out of the box" with Sharklets™.

The A321S variant of American's Airbus A321-200 aircraft is the "plain vanilla" two class twin engine narrow body replacing the Boeing 757-223 and filling in on routes with higher capacity requirements than those filled by the rapidly disappearing MD-80 or Boeing 737-800 and MAX 8 aircraft.

A321S and A321H: (16Y, 165Y including 38 MCE) two class “32B” A321-200 with Sharklets wingtip devices used in normal domestic and short international service, and in the A321H ETOPS version West Coast - Hawai’i service. SeatGuru “A321 V2”.

A321H: This particular two class A321 variant is fitted with auxiliary fuel tanks and is ETOPS rated, initially deployed on mainland-Hawai'i flights to replace the 757. Due to distance / fuel / load restrictions, some Hawai'i flights will be load-restricted, and seating may be changed if weather / winds aloft issues require it for weight and balance restrictions (higher probability on westbound flights).

First seats are said to be 21" wide, pitch 38"; Economy seats to be 18" wide, 31" pitch (34" in Main Cabin Extra / MCE / XE). But exit and bulkhead seats may be 16.5” wide. See gwade’s post here.

The new leather "slimline" articulated "slider" seats include:
  • "Main Cabin Extra" seats with extra leg room
  • In-flight WiFi
  • "Universal" plug 110 VAC and 5 VDC USB power at every seat
  • tilting 8.9" flatscreen IFE with AVOD at every seat** (complimentary in F) with hand controller. . . (IFE and power mounted on seat back in front of you)

Note: IFE boxes reduce under seat space in window and aisle seat rows.
Small mesh pouch provided for personal items. See #165 for photos.
Seat pitch in coach seems lower.

Exit row / notable seats include:
  • Row 11 (MCE / XE): A, B, and C have virtually infinite leg room but virtually no underseat storage due to a protrusion immediately behind the row 10 seats blocking access. D and E have infinite leg room and access to underseat storage under row 10. There is no F seat in this row due to the presence of a FA jumpseat. Pictures of row 11 are posted in post #366.
  • Row 12 (MCE). Due to a system limitation, AA (mostly incorrectly) has this coded as an exit row on the seat map. It is not. 12 A, B, C, D, and E are standard MCE seats. 12F has no seat in front of it and technically has a direct path to the exit (hence the legal requirement they designate at least that side as an exit row). The underseat storage under 10F is not easily accessible due to the presence of a FA jumpseat.
    • MCE / XE has limited overhead space: the bins above row 11 contain emergency gear
  • Row 24 (only B, C and D, E seats - may have somewhat limited recline)
  • Row 25 (25A and F have no seats in front of them)
  • Row 36 has limited recline and is directly in front of the Economy lavs

NOTE: Under “Project Oasis” all seats will be replaced, and seat pitch will be reduced. See Oasis: New seats & less pitch, WiFi IFE & power all 737 and A321 2019-21

**In Theaters Now” movies cost $8, “Best of the Big Screen” (older movies ) for $6 per movie, a “Premium Package” for $5 that includes unlimited 150 network shows on demand and 300 albums, 20 games and audio books. There’s also a Disney option for $4 that includes a variety of kids movies, TV shows, games and music. “Complimentary Programming” offers "NBC Universal on American" and "American Airlines Radio" network.

*July 2015
Print Wikipost

LAA 2-class Airbus 321S / A321H (Sharklets) (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2016, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Within row 11, would you take 11C aisle or 11D aisle or 11E (11 F doesn't exist, so it's a row of two on the right side).
Old Apr 29, 2016, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by beachfan
Within row 11, would you take 11C aisle or 11D aisle or 11E (11 F doesn't exist, so it's a row of two on the right side).
If you are worried about people bumping into you during boarding, 11E would be my pick.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
If you are worried about people bumping into you during boarding, 11E would be my pick.
Thanks. That's not a concern, but I thought perhaps the right side with two seats would be more comfortable than the left side with three due to the absense of a middle seat, whose occupant can't lean to either side.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 1:34 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
FWIW, there is a flight attendant jumpseat across from where 11F would have been.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
The two seat pair 11D and 11E are narrower seats (if you sit in row 12 you can see this). 11C is the better seat.

My preferences on this plane are in this order: 11A, 11C, 12F. And funny enough, I'm typically an aisle seat guy.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 4:27 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Isn't the number of F seats the same as on the LUS A321? Don't hear much complaining about those.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 4:27 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
The two seat pair 11D and 11E are narrower seats (if you sit in row 12 you can see this). 11C is the better seat.

My preferences on this plane are in this order: 11A, 11C, 12F. And funny enough, I'm typically an aisle seat guy.
I'm very happy to read this. We have an upcoming red eye and those are the three seats I chose for us. We'll be sleeping and don't need to sit next to each other.
Old May 3, 2016, 8:55 am

Thanks! I'm in 11d now and it feels narrower. I just thought it was the armrests. In 11c on the return
Old May 10, 2016, 8:17 am

The two seat pair 11D and 11E are narrower seats (if you sit in row 12 you can see this).
Are they noticeably narrower from an in seat perspective? Or it's more academic?
Old May 10, 2016, 8:27 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
A post which contained confusion about what type of A321 was being operated has been moved here.

~Moderator
Old May 25, 2016, 11:19 am

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Looking for the best seats for 3 (1 will be an infant in a car seat, so exit row is out of the question). Thinking row 10 will be the best option? (MCE with no one behind us to recline/fuss around)
Old Jul 7, 2016, 9:05 am

Programs: US GP; MR PL
Does anyone know if the CLT-LAS A321 (not transcon) is a newer plane or a legacy USAir plane? Does it have outlets/USB? I currently have 10A (exit row) on both legs to/from LAS. I have requested upgrades...worth the four 500mile passes?

Thx in advance for any help...
Old Jul 7, 2016, 9:38 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by fraidofheights
Does anyone know if the CLT-LAS A321 (not transcon) is a newer plane or a legacy USAir plane? Does it have outlets/USB? I currently have 10A (exit row) on both legs to/from LAS. I have requested upgrades...worth the four 500mile passes?

Most likely LUS plane with no power/USB. I think any upgrade is worth it (prior to being EXP, I requested any upgrade I could).
Old Jul 7, 2016, 9:38 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald

What's the flight number? Flights 400-899 and 1651-2174 are operated with LUS equipment.

BTW, there are some brand new LUS Air A321's. I'm not sure if they have power outlets, though.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 10:25 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist

If 10A is an exit, then it's a LUS plane. On the LAA A321S, Row 11 is the exit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.