Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LAA 2-class Airbus 321S / A321H (Sharklets) (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2015, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Two Class Airbus A321-200 / A321S In Service as of Aug 2014
The Airbus A321-200 A321 is the stretched version of the A320 family of aircraft. AA is the world's largest operator of the A321 with 159 in service, 60 on order*. These will also replace most Boeing 757-223s. The A321 is coded by most sources as "32B", which means any A321 aircraft with "Sharklets™" blended wingtip devices. All 321s in the LAA fleet and order are technically "32B" aircraft, as they all arrive "out of the box" with Sharklets™.

The A321S variant of American's Airbus A321-200 aircraft is the "plain vanilla" two class twin engine narrow body replacing the Boeing 757-223 and filling in on routes with higher capacity requirements than those filled by the rapidly disappearing MD-80 or Boeing 737-800 and MAX 8 aircraft.

A321S and A321H: (16Y, 165Y including 38 MCE) two class “32B” A321-200 with Sharklets wingtip devices used in normal domestic and short international service, and in the A321H ETOPS version West Coast - Hawai’i service. SeatGuru “A321 V2”.

A321H: This particular two class A321 variant is fitted with auxiliary fuel tanks and is ETOPS rated, initially deployed on mainland-Hawai'i flights to replace the 757. Due to distance / fuel / load restrictions, some Hawai'i flights will be load-restricted, and seating may be changed if weather / winds aloft issues require it for weight and balance restrictions (higher probability on westbound flights).

First seats are said to be 21" wide, pitch 38"; Economy seats to be 18" wide, 31" pitch (34" in Main Cabin Extra / MCE / XE). But exit and bulkhead seats may be 16.5” wide. See gwade’s post here.

The new leather "slimline" articulated "slider" seats include:
  • "Main Cabin Extra" seats with extra leg room
  • In-flight WiFi
  • "Universal" plug 110 VAC and 5 VDC USB power at every seat
  • tilting 8.9" flatscreen IFE with AVOD at every seat** (complimentary in F) with hand controller. . . (IFE and power mounted on seat back in front of you)

Note: IFE boxes reduce under seat space in window and aisle seat rows.
Small mesh pouch provided for personal items. See #165 for photos.
Seat pitch in coach seems lower.

Exit row / notable seats include:
  • Row 11 (MCE / XE): A, B, and C have virtually infinite leg room but virtually no underseat storage due to a protrusion immediately behind the row 10 seats blocking access. D and E have infinite leg room and access to underseat storage under row 10. There is no F seat in this row due to the presence of a FA jumpseat. Pictures of row 11 are posted in post #366.
  • Row 12 (MCE). Due to a system limitation, AA (mostly incorrectly) has this coded as an exit row on the seat map. It is not. 12 A, B, C, D, and E are standard MCE seats. 12F has no seat in front of it and technically has a direct path to the exit (hence the legal requirement they designate at least that side as an exit row). The underseat storage under 10F is not easily accessible due to the presence of a FA jumpseat.
    • MCE / XE has limited overhead space: the bins above row 11 contain emergency gear
  • Row 24 (only B, C and D, E seats - may have somewhat limited recline)
  • Row 25 (25A and F have no seats in front of them)
  • Row 36 has limited recline and is directly in front of the Economy lavs

NOTE: Under “Project Oasis” all seats will be replaced, and seat pitch will be reduced. See Oasis: New seats & less pitch, WiFi IFE & power all 737 and A321 2019-21

**In Theaters Now” movies cost $8, “Best of the Big Screen” (older movies ) for $6 per movie, a “Premium Package” for $5 that includes unlimited 150 network shows on demand and 300 albums, 20 games and audio books. There’s also a Disney option for $4 that includes a variety of kids movies, TV shows, games and music. “Complimentary Programming” offers "NBC Universal on American" and "American Airlines Radio" network.

*July 2015
Print Wikipost

LAA 2-class Airbus 321S / A321H (Sharklets) (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2016, 6:10 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TWA884
On the legacy AA version of the A321 all seats have IFE. The screens for seats 25A and 25F, and rows 11 and 24 are mounted on pivoting arms that stow under the seats.
Ah! Thanks for that. I did notice something that might pivot when I checked out the power situation, but I wasn't sure and didn't want to break anything.

I mainly intended to sleep anyway, as it was an MR with a late flight and immediate red-eye return.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
Ah! Thanks for that. I did notice something that might pivot when I checked out the power situation, but I wasn't sure and didn't want to break anything.

I mainly intended to sleep anyway, as it was an MR with a late flight and immediate red-eye return.
You have to press a button to release the arm, and then it should spring out a little. Look for a button like a seat-recline button, but a little lower, on the side where the monitor is.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 8:55 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I've searched this thread and found nothing definitive on 11ABC. Can anybody out there confirm with certainty that 11ABC recline? SeatGuru states they do not recline. We're on a red eye and recline will be as important as legroom.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 9:29 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
I've searched this thread and found nothing definitive on 11ABC. Can anybody out there confirm with certainty that 11ABC recline?
I sat in 11C recently. Full recline.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 10:44 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
I've searched this thread and found nothing definitive on 11ABC. Can anybody out there confirm with certainty that 11ABC recline? SeatGuru states they do not recline. We're on a red eye and recline will be as important as legroom.
SeatGuru is garbage. Take anything there with a grain of salt.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 2:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I'm flying MIA/LAS on 3/15 and its a third evening flight to LAS that is being added (departing 5:20PM). Interestingly, the seat map is showing a LUS 321 on that flight. Hopefully, like other LUS flights from MIA it will go out of Concourse E allowing me access to the Premium Lounge. Also, assuming my upgrade clears I likely will have the PDB of my choice. A little OT, my upcoming TPA/LAX flight is also being served by a LUS 319.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

100% sure 11ABC recline. Been in them several times now.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I'm currently in 11C LAX-MCO.

11A is open, as is 11E. Any advantages to those over 11C? (I know there is a window, but on some planes the window seem right up against the seat impeding my shoulder room.

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 8, 2016, 5:23 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Hope this helps.
Attached Images  
Old Mar 12, 2016, 11:20 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
I'm happy to report that as of 3/1/16, AA allows PAX seated in row 11 (except for 11B where't not possible) to place their personal items under the seats in row 10
^
Old Mar 14, 2016, 2:28 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG/Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Which first class seat would everyone recommend? I'm currently assigned to 1D but not sure if I should change it. Flying redeye from LAX to MIA and I'm really hoping it's comfortable enough for me to get some sleep.

Last edited by chenalex; Mar 14, 2016 at 11:11 am
Old Mar 14, 2016, 10:29 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by AAway
I'm happy to report that as of 3/1/16, AA allows PAX seated in row 11 (except for 11B where't not possible) to place their personal items under the seats in row 10
^
That has been my experience on my last few 32B flights as well. Glad they got that worked out - it was weird that US allowed it but AA didn't in the early 2-class 32B days.

Also last night, instead of the FAs giving the safety briefing motions for the exit rows, they popped out the swing-out IFE screens.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 4:13 pm

Programs: Alaska MPVG75, AAdvantage PlatPro, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I'm flying tomorrow. Seated in 25A but 8D (bulkhead) is open. Does the bulkhead extend all the way across 8D or does it stop short?
Old Apr 2, 2016, 11:14 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage EXP, World of Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Rewards Titanium, MGM Rewards Gold
Any word if 11DE, 24BC, and 24DE recline at all? I see the Wiki mentions these seats in row 24 may have limited recline, but can anyone report on this? I have 11DE for a redeye right now, but want some recline.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 11:56 am

Programs: AA
AA Airbus321 Seats

I'm on an American Airbus a321 from LAX to Kona in November. I booked 11E and 11D for me and my wife. I believe it's a 2 person exit row.

Any experience with these seats? Any alternate suggestions?

Thank you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.