Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LAA 2-class Airbus 321S / A321H (Sharklets) (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2015, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Two Class Airbus A321-200 / A321S In Service as of Aug 2014
The Airbus A321-200 A321 is the stretched version of the A320 family of aircraft. AA is the world's largest operator of the A321 with 159 in service, 60 on order*. These will also replace most Boeing 757-223s. The A321 is coded by most sources as "32B", which means any A321 aircraft with "Sharklets™" blended wingtip devices. All 321s in the LAA fleet and order are technically "32B" aircraft, as they all arrive "out of the box" with Sharklets™.

The A321S variant of American's Airbus A321-200 aircraft is the "plain vanilla" two class twin engine narrow body replacing the Boeing 757-223 and filling in on routes with higher capacity requirements than those filled by the rapidly disappearing MD-80 or Boeing 737-800 and MAX 8 aircraft.

A321S and A321H: (16Y, 165Y including 38 MCE) two class “32B” A321-200 with Sharklets wingtip devices used in normal domestic and short international service, and in the A321H ETOPS version West Coast - Hawai’i service. SeatGuru “A321 V2”.

A321H: This particular two class A321 variant is fitted with auxiliary fuel tanks and is ETOPS rated, initially deployed on mainland-Hawai'i flights to replace the 757. Due to distance / fuel / load restrictions, some Hawai'i flights will be load-restricted, and seating may be changed if weather / winds aloft issues require it for weight and balance restrictions (higher probability on westbound flights).

First seats are said to be 21" wide, pitch 38"; Economy seats to be 18" wide, 31" pitch (34" in Main Cabin Extra / MCE / XE). But exit and bulkhead seats may be 16.5” wide. See gwade’s post here.

The new leather "slimline" articulated "slider" seats include:
  • "Main Cabin Extra" seats with extra leg room
  • In-flight WiFi
  • "Universal" plug 110 VAC and 5 VDC USB power at every seat
  • tilting 8.9" flatscreen IFE with AVOD at every seat** (complimentary in F) with hand controller. . . (IFE and power mounted on seat back in front of you)

Note: IFE boxes reduce under seat space in window and aisle seat rows.
Small mesh pouch provided for personal items. See #165 for photos.
Seat pitch in coach seems lower.

Exit row / notable seats include:
  • Row 11 (MCE / XE): A, B, and C have virtually infinite leg room but virtually no underseat storage due to a protrusion immediately behind the row 10 seats blocking access. D and E have infinite leg room and access to underseat storage under row 10. There is no F seat in this row due to the presence of a FA jumpseat. Pictures of row 11 are posted in post #366.
  • Row 12 (MCE). Due to a system limitation, AA (mostly incorrectly) has this coded as an exit row on the seat map. It is not. 12 A, B, C, D, and E are standard MCE seats. 12F has no seat in front of it and technically has a direct path to the exit (hence the legal requirement they designate at least that side as an exit row). The underseat storage under 10F is not easily accessible due to the presence of a FA jumpseat.
    • MCE / XE has limited overhead space: the bins above row 11 contain emergency gear
  • Row 24 (only B, C and D, E seats - may have somewhat limited recline)
  • Row 25 (25A and F have no seats in front of them)
  • Row 36 has limited recline and is directly in front of the Economy lavs

NOTE: Under “Project Oasis” all seats will be replaced, and seat pitch will be reduced. See Oasis: New seats & less pitch, WiFi IFE & power all 737 and A321 2019-21

**In Theaters Now” movies cost $8, “Best of the Big Screen” (older movies ) for $6 per movie, a “Premium Package” for $5 that includes unlimited 150 network shows on demand and 300 albums, 20 games and audio books. There’s also a Disney option for $4 that includes a variety of kids movies, TV shows, games and music. “Complimentary Programming” offers "NBC Universal on American" and "American Airlines Radio" network.

*July 2015
Print Wikipost

LAA 2-class Airbus 321S / A321H (Sharklets) (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2014, 8:12 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
A recent post about a poor F experience on one of these birds wasn't really related to the topic at hand, and has been broken out into its own thread here:

Reload this Page Poor F service, should I complain?

Please follow that discussion in the new thread.

~Moderator
Old Nov 11, 2014, 3:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I flew MIA/DFW yesterday and really liked the 321S. Even in Y (MCE) it was a comfortable a/c. I liked the positioning of the power outlets. I really liked the mapper, which is also found on the 319.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 12:35 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I really liked the mapper, which is also found on the 319.
+1

I was on the non-transcon A321 again recently and basically left the map feature on the whole flight. I tend not to partake in the IFE (on domestic or international flights), as I'm usually working or reading. But I do like having the mapper on my screen to help me keep track of how much time before landing. ^
Old Nov 12, 2014, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dstan
Code:
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
 X  11  12 13 14 15 16
fa       F  F  F  F  F
     E   E  E  E  E  E
     D   D  D  D  D  D

C   C   C  C  C
       B   B   B  B  B
       A   A   A  A  A
 X    11  12  13 14 15
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Main Cabin Extra seats underlined
X = exit
fa = aft-facing flight attendant seat
Note that Row 12 is listed as an exit row but there is no exit there - it's really regular MCE.
Isn't that because there's no 11F, and thus 12F is an exit seat? (AA calls something an exit row even if only one seat in an exit seat. For example, row 31 on a tradional AA 777 is called an exit row, but only 31A/B/H/J have exit row spacing. And more similarly to this, doesn't AA call row 10 of a tradtional 757 an exit row, even though only 10A and 10F are exit seats?)

AA has no terminology to explain that a row is only partially an exit row, though it needs it.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch
...doesn't AA call row 10 of a tradtional 757 an exit row, even though only 10A and 10F are exit seats?)
Yes, row 10 on the 757 is also considered an exit row despite only 10A and F being exit seats.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 9:45 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Isn't that because there's no 11F, and thus 12F is an exit seat? (AA calls something an exit row even if only one seat in an exit seat. For example, row 31 on a tradional AA 777 is called an exit row, but only 31A/B/H/J have exit row spacing. And more similarly to this, doesn't AA call row 10 of a tradtional 757 an exit row, even though only 10A and 10F are exit seats?)

AA has no terminology to explain that a row is only partially an exit row, though it needs it.
Good point, you are probably correct! (Although it would make more sense if it were just 12DEF and not 12ABC).
Old Nov 23, 2014, 1:35 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Flew this LAX-LAS tonight and absolutely loved it. MCE's great and all, but it's the first Y airline seat in forever with actual lumbar support!

I've got a couple of bad discs, and flying Y is just generally flat-out painful. I'll take longer routes and layovers to get on this bird from here on!
Old Nov 26, 2014, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
But on this plane, aren't 25A and 25F exit row seats that are not designated MCE? I don't see blue around them. I'm not sure if all of row 25 is as spacious as SeatGuru claims or not,
Or not. SeatGuru is wrong. Seats 25BC and DE are standard pitch seats, designated as exit row (evidently because the FAA wouldn't allow only 4 pax in row 24 to be the only designated exit row pax).

Seats 25A and 25F have limitless pitch with no seat in front. They are being sold on AA as "preferred seats," not MCE - so this makes them a particular bargain if you're going for legroom on 32B flights.

I know - I was just in row 25.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 10:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
All - so I've got one of these mislabeled 321S flights LAX-MIA in a few weeks. As of now, all the aisle MCE seats are gone.

Does anyone know about the recline in row 10 (the row forward of the exit row)? Is it limited as one would expect, or (because there are really no 11A/F seats) is there standard recline?

thx in advance...
Old Dec 2, 2014, 11:37 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Odd people are raving on the 321S in Y and not the 319, when I'm quite sure they have the same exact seats and similar, if not identical, pitch.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MAH4546
Odd people are raving on the 321S in Y and not the 319, when I'm quite sure they have the same exact seats and similar, if not identical, pitch.
The main difference I see is that the 321 at least has a few decent exit row seats whereas the 319 just doesn't at all. Otherwise, I agree. The seats have limited legroom and are very uncomfortable in all classes.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
If you like Row 11 on the Transcon 321 is Row 8 comparable in terms of legroom?
Old Jan 3, 2015, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Comically the American Way magazine shows this aircraft as having 16 fully lie-flat seats.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 8:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Originally Posted by CO FF
All - so I've got one of these mislabeled 321S flights LAX-MIA in a few weeks. As of now, all the aisle MCE seats are gone.

Does anyone know about the recline in row 10 (the row forward of the exit row)? Is it limited as one would expect, or (because there are really no 11A/F seats) is there standard recline?

thx in advance...
Posting from on board:

row 11 is exit row - trays/IFE in armrests, but unlimited legroom. 11A is at the door, but not impaired legroom. There is no 11F, so. 12F has good legroom. Otherwise, row 12 A-E is nothing special.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 10:12 pm
Suspended

13 of these 2-class 321's in service now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.