Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LAA 2-class Airbus 321S / A321H (Sharklets) (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2015, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Two Class Airbus A321-200 / A321S In Service as of Aug 2014
The Airbus A321-200 A321 is the stretched version of the A320 family of aircraft. AA is the world's largest operator of the A321 with 159 in service, 60 on order*. These will also replace most Boeing 757-223s. The A321 is coded by most sources as "32B", which means any A321 aircraft with "Sharklets™" blended wingtip devices. All 321s in the LAA fleet and order are technically "32B" aircraft, as they all arrive "out of the box" with Sharklets™.

The A321S variant of American's Airbus A321-200 aircraft is the "plain vanilla" two class twin engine narrow body replacing the Boeing 757-223 and filling in on routes with higher capacity requirements than those filled by the rapidly disappearing MD-80 or Boeing 737-800 and MAX 8 aircraft.

A321S and A321H: (16Y, 165Y including 38 MCE) two class “32B” A321-200 with Sharklets wingtip devices used in normal domestic and short international service, and in the A321H ETOPS version West Coast - Hawai’i service. SeatGuru “A321 V2”.

A321H: This particular two class A321 variant is fitted with auxiliary fuel tanks and is ETOPS rated, initially deployed on mainland-Hawai'i flights to replace the 757. Due to distance / fuel / load restrictions, some Hawai'i flights will be load-restricted, and seating may be changed if weather / winds aloft issues require it for weight and balance restrictions (higher probability on westbound flights).

First seats are said to be 21" wide, pitch 38"; Economy seats to be 18" wide, 31" pitch (34" in Main Cabin Extra / MCE / XE). But exit and bulkhead seats may be 16.5” wide. See gwade’s post here.

The new leather "slimline" articulated "slider" seats include:
  • "Main Cabin Extra" seats with extra leg room
  • In-flight WiFi
  • "Universal" plug 110 VAC and 5 VDC USB power at every seat
  • tilting 8.9" flatscreen IFE with AVOD at every seat** (complimentary in F) with hand controller. . . (IFE and power mounted on seat back in front of you)

Note: IFE boxes reduce under seat space in window and aisle seat rows.
Small mesh pouch provided for personal items. See #165 for photos.
Seat pitch in coach seems lower.

Exit row / notable seats include:
  • Row 11 (MCE / XE): A, B, and C have virtually infinite leg room but virtually no underseat storage due to a protrusion immediately behind the row 10 seats blocking access. D and E have infinite leg room and access to underseat storage under row 10. There is no F seat in this row due to the presence of a FA jumpseat. Pictures of row 11 are posted in post #366.
  • Row 12 (MCE). Due to a system limitation, AA (mostly incorrectly) has this coded as an exit row on the seat map. It is not. 12 A, B, C, D, and E are standard MCE seats. 12F has no seat in front of it and technically has a direct path to the exit (hence the legal requirement they designate at least that side as an exit row). The underseat storage under 10F is not easily accessible due to the presence of a FA jumpseat.
    • MCE / XE has limited overhead space: the bins above row 11 contain emergency gear
  • Row 24 (only B, C and D, E seats - may have somewhat limited recline)
  • Row 25 (25A and F have no seats in front of them)
  • Row 36 has limited recline and is directly in front of the Economy lavs

NOTE: Under “Project Oasis” all seats will be replaced, and seat pitch will be reduced. See Oasis: New seats & less pitch, WiFi IFE & power all 737 and A321 2019-21

**In Theaters Now” movies cost $8, “Best of the Big Screen” (older movies ) for $6 per movie, a “Premium Package” for $5 that includes unlimited 150 network shows on demand and 300 albums, 20 games and audio books. There’s also a Disney option for $4 that includes a variety of kids movies, TV shows, games and music. “Complimentary Programming” offers "NBC Universal on American" and "American Airlines Radio" network.

*July 2015
Print Wikipost

LAA 2-class Airbus 321S / A321H (Sharklets) (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2021, 7:23 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by cmw021
Are there any equivalent seats in terms of recline and legroom in MCE that do not have fixed armrests? If not, are any of those seat combinations superior to the other?
Thanks
The ABC seats in rows 9, 10, 12, and 13 would be best alternatives since these offer an additional inch of legroom compared to the standard MCE seats.

You can see this for yourself here:

https://www.aerolopa.com/aa-airbus-a321s

** Please note, I own and run the aerolopa.com website **
Ty Vil and dciolli like this.

Last edited by Prospero; Jun 12, 2021 at 7:28 am Reason: Add disclaimer
Old Dec 6, 2021, 10:44 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Did AA add a seat to 11F? They are now have it as a selectable seat
Old Dec 6, 2021, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by FlyAO2
Did AA add a seat to 11F? They are now have it as a selectable seat
Yes, and now there is no longer a 10F on those reconfigured 321’s. Row 11 has the extra legroom too.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Do any of the regular A321’s have an IFE in main cabin ?

For an upcoming flight it shows “Live TV” but it also shows “personal device streaming”. So that just means the live tv is available on my device ? I know the 320’s seem to always have an IFE. I believe my 321 is a K not S so 321K if that matters. FLL to LAX. Just would like to know is there is an IFE or not. I know AA took out a lot IFE’s so I’m guessing I’m out of luck.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
Do any of the regular A321’s have an IFE in main cabin ?

For an upcoming flight it shows “Live TV” but it also shows “personal device streaming”. So that just means the live tv is available on my device ? I know the 320’s seem to always have an IFE. I believe my 321 is a K not S so 321K if that matters. FLL to LAX. Just would like to know is there is an IFE or not. I know AA took out a lot IFE’s so I’m guessing I’m out of luck.
You will not have in-seat IFE, only BYOD.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by AAway
You will not have in-seat IFE, only BYOD.
Bummer ! So just 320’s still have the TV no 321’s have them?
Old Jan 15, 2023, 6:34 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Bummer ! So just 320’s still have the TV no 321’s have them?
None of the A320's, all of which are LUS have IFE screens.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 6:35 pm

Programs: Some/Most/All
I know the 320’s seem to always have an IFE.
I'm confused. Have the 320s ever had seatback IFE, at least while they were in AA colors? I thought none of the L-US narrowbodies had seatback IFE.

^^^ See above.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
None of the A320's, all of which are LUS have IFE screens.
Originally Posted by JBKettle
I'm confused. Have the 320s ever had seatback IFE, at least while they were in AA colors? I thought none of the L-US narrowbodies had seatback IFE.

^^^ See above.
Apologies if I am confusing things but now I am very confused... I flew an A320 just a few weeks ago on LAX/PHX and I watched Tv on a seat back screen. It was quite small but still a nice surprise. I was up front one way but in MCE the other way and it also had an IFE.

So some A320's have them? Btw the seats were comfy too which is never the case on the normal AA narrow body F seats. They werent the skinny Oasis ones. Was this an old US Airways 320? Or am I confusing what plane I was on? I could have sworn it said A320.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 9:19 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Apologies if I am confusing things but now I am very confused... I flew an A320 just a few weeks ago on LAX/PHX and I watched Tv on a seat back screen. It was quite small but still a nice surprise. I was up front one way but in MCE the other way and it also had an IFE.

So some A320's have them? Btw the seats were comfy too which is never the case on the normal AA narrow body F seats. They werent the skinny Oasis ones. Was this an old US Airways 320? Or am I confusing what plane I was on? I could have sworn it said A320.
US Air narrow-bodied aircraft did not have seatback IFE by the time of the merger with American. None were installed in any LUS narrow-body planes following the merger. Legacy AA A319s had seatback IFE; perhaps some or all of those still have seatback TV screens. How many seats were in the F cabin on your flight to PHX?

From aeroLOPA:
The second version (type A319S), delivered between 2013 and 2015, is equipped with ViaSat satellite wifi offering inflight entertainment streamed free of charge to your personal device. All seats include individual seat back screens with content delivered via the onboard Thales powered IFE system.
And AA.com:
A319 Version 2 – 128 seats | Entertainment - Seatback screen

Last edited by TWA884; Jan 15, 2023 at 9:26 pm
Old Jan 15, 2023, 9:25 pm

US Air narrow-bodied aircraft did not have seatback IFE by the time of the merger with American. None were installed in any LUS narrow-body planes following the merger. Legacy AA A319s had seatback IFE; perhaps some or all of those still have seatback TV screens. How many seats were in the F cabin on your flight to PHX?

From aeroLOPA:
I honestly dont recall the number of seats in F but it was more than 2 or 3 rows, which if I am not mistaken the A319 has right? So I dont believe it was a 319. I can tell you for sure it said A320 on my flight itinerary for both directions.

I think there must be some A320's out there with a TV ?
Old Jan 15, 2023, 9:36 pm

I honestly dont recall the number of seats in F but it was more than 2 or 3 rows, which if I am not mistaken the A319 has right? So I dont believe it was a 319. I can tell you for sure it said A320 on my flight itinerary for both directions.

I think there must be some A320's out there with a TV ?
Look at the AA.com page link which I added when I edited my prior post. The only narrow-body aircraft in AA's fleet with seatback TV screens is the A319 version 2, the legacy AA planes with sharklets. Every other narrow-body fleet type states "Personal device." The A319s have two rows in F, the A320s have three rows in F.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 9:43 pm

Look at the AA.com page link which I added when I edited my prior post. The only narrow-body aircraft in AA's fleet with seatback TV screens is the A319 version 2, the legacy AA planes with sharklets. Every other narrow-body fleet type states "Personal device." The A319s have two rows in F, the A320s have three rows in F.
100% wasnt 2 rows in F. I was in my usual bulkhead and upon entering to get to the window was asked if I would switch to Row 2 and as I politely declined I absolutely recall seeing a couple behind the Row 2 person who asked me. Either 3 or 4 rows for sure.

I dont get this but I absolutely had an IFE and watched Live TV.

This was PHX-LAX 7:05pm departure on January 2nd if that helps.

My outbound was Dec 31 at 930am from Burbank to Phoenix and it also 100% had an IFE in MCE.

Last edited by happiest_at_40000; Jan 15, 2023 at 9:50 pm
Old Jan 16, 2023, 7:15 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
100% wasnt 2 rows in F. I was in my usual bulkhead and upon entering to get to the window was asked if I would switch to Row 2 and as I politely declined I absolutely recall seeing a couple behind the Row 2 person who asked me. Either 3 or 4 rows for sure.

I dont get this but I absolutely had an IFE and watched Live TV.

This was PHX-LAX 7:05pm departure on January 2nd if that helps.

My outbound was Dec 31 at 930am from Burbank to Phoenix and it also 100% had an IFE in MCE.

AA650 (2): A320-232 N665AW (presumably legacy US/America West)
Old Jan 16, 2023, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by hhdl

AA650 (2): A320-232 N665AW (presumably legacy US/America West)
Thanks. That was indeed my flight and it had a TV.. A little one but still was really nice to watch Live TV for the hour. So does this mean Wiki is wrong about the IFE's? That plane def. had a TV set. Also, looking at Aero Lopa it shows that 2 versions of the A321 also have TV sets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.