Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Increases AAnytime Award Mileage Costs / Adds Tiers [8 Apr 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2014, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

AA Award Changes for travel as of June 1, 2014:

http://hub.aa.com/en/nr/pressrelease...light-services

• Explorer Awards (formerly known as oneworld Awards) discontinued (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...pr-2014-a.html)
• AAnytime Awards split into Levels 1, 2, 3
• MilesSAAver Awards remain split into Levels 1 (formerly Off-peak) and Level 2 (formerly Peak)

Link to Miles tiers and requirements for award travel through May 2014

Link to Miles tiers and requirements for awards travel as of June 1 2014

AAnytime Award Tiers by Date (note that they vary by regions)

Green = Level 1
Yellow = Level 2
Red = Level 3

CONUS Calendar:

N. America - Hawaii Calendar:

New AAnytime rates, including current Level 3 prices (no more guessing what the * means):

Moderator Note:

We would invite members who are frustrated at this change and interested in venting, or who would like to discuss ways to communicate displeasure to the powers that be, to head to this thread:

Angry about AAdvantage devaluation / vent / what can I do? (April 2014, consolidated)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by lhl12
Exactly - quit whining, all of you. The rules have changed - a lot, as expected. And, they will continue to change in the future, probably negatively. New AA will continue to optimize its rules and regs - including for AAdvantage -- so as to optimize their profitability. Your job is to optimize your own behavior within the constraints they provide. If you don't like it, take Amtrak.

With notice, these changes would have been fine.

With no notice, these changes are deceitful.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:51 am
Suspended

Programs: AA Advanatge
For all the suckers out there that thought this merger was going to be good for them.....LOL!!!! Proving once again the Justice Department had its nuts clipped a long, long time ago.

Cheers,
AA777
Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:55 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by pkerr
Soooo... this increase is caused by bloggers?
The deval was coming either way and the credit card deals were done knowing they were going to deval before most people could redeem. The bloggers didn't cause the deval but I looked at one well known blog today where the blogger was claiming its not that bad of a deval. That person has frickin zero credibility. Some other bloggers have called AA out. I would recommend taking this opportunity to see whether your favorite blogger is being objective or if they are still pushing credit cards for a program that has changed overnight without notice.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:56 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by AA777
For all the suckers out there that thought this merger was going to be good for them.....LOL!!!! Proving once again the Justice Department had its nuts clipped a long, long time ago.

Cheers,
AA777
Were there people who actually thought a merger would be good for them???
Old Apr 8, 2014, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Bloggers kill deals. Think of this the next time you click on a credit card link.
Absolutely. Bragging for ever about the 90K "sweet spot" etc just to get people
excited and have them click their affiliate links. That's all it is really, very simple.
Endless selfies from 1st class cabins taken weekly... What can we expect?

Since I started my photo-blog I discovered how disgusting most of the bloggers are.... I had no idea before.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 10:05 am

Knew it was coming with the 100k Citi Exec offers.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 10:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by crimsonAA
AA needs to get hammered on their use of the asterisk for the Level 3 AAnytime award. If they're going to price it at something astronomical, they should at least give their customers the respect of saying what the price is or what formula they're going to use to calculate it.
Level 3 AAnytime is like high-end luxury goods on Madison Avenue - if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it

I think the * is denoted such that they can dynamically adjust L3 award quotes and AA miles will be worth flat 1cpm against live revenue quote of that ticket.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 10:08 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by 787fan
Level 3 AAnytime is like high-end luxury goods on Madison Avenue - if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it

I think the * is denoted such that they can dynamically adjust L3 award quotes and AA miles will be worth flat 1cpm against live revenue quote of that ticket.
That isn't going to happen. That would render some int'l premium flights at 1 million miles per award.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 10:08 am

Did someone call the wambulance?

90% of the people here fly American for free using tricks of the trade. Now flying for free will take a little bit more work. I love AA. I haven't paid for a flight in 3 years while traveling the globe with my family. You all want out? Great, more award availability for me!

<redacted>

C'MON MAN!

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 8, 2014 at 12:54 pm Reason: offer for miles trade, genuine or humorous, redacted
Old Apr 8, 2014, 10:09 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX

With notice, these changes would have been fine.

With no notice, these changes are deceitful.

AA wanted to be deceitful enough to make agents and employees sign non-disclosure agreements.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 10:09 am

------

Last edited by crimsonAA; Nov 14, 2017 at 7:05 am
Old Apr 8, 2014, 10:16 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by crimsonAA
Also, we need to know how AA decides whether to make a particular flight AAnytime Tier 1 or Tier 2. Is it based on the date, such that we'll know in advance? Or will flights move from Tier 1 to Tier 2 on the fly based on loads?

In otherwords, if a flight is pricing at 20K, is there a need to lock it in now, out of fear it will go to 30K? Or can we just hold out for saver space and be guaranteed to book it at 20K at the last minute if no saver space opens up...

Supposedly the AAnytime levels are pre-determined based on flight history/algorithm so they should not change based on flight loads but who knows if tweaks will be added later.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 10:17 am
Suspended

Programs: AA Advanatge
Originally Posted by e4west
Did someone call the wambulance?

90% of the people here fly American for free using tricks of the trade. Now flying for free will take a little bit more work. I love AA. I haven't paid for a flight in 3 years while traveling the globe with my family. You all want out? Great, more award availability for me!

<redacted>

C'MON MAN!
Not to be a dick, but my AAirpass and travel costs more than many people's salaries, so I'm not flying for free......traveling that much gets a little old leaves me with no patience for crap like this. Add on some other released statements from Parker on what he is going to do to the fleet and services, this is just the last straw for me. There is no point with staying with AA, I get nothing for it as someone who books J/F-----I might as well just buy CX and EX to the cities I need to go to in Asia.

When you match the foreign airlines as far as benefits OUTSIDE the flying experience, but don't match the flying experience-----DO THE MATH ON WHAT HAPPENS. Fine by me, but then AA is not an international airline, its a LCC.

US Gov needs to let foreign carriers fly point to point WITHIN the U.S.......the majors would change or go out of business, simple as that. Competition is a good thing......

Cheers,
AA777

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 8, 2014 at 12:55 pm Reason: insert previous redaction
Old Apr 8, 2014, 10:20 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flyerdude88
Here's the positive spin email that just came through. I have not redacted the senders name since given her position at AA I believe it is in the public domain but if the moderators believe it should be redacted so be it:

Hello flyerdude88,
AAdvantage Executive Platinum Number: XXXXXXX

As we integrate our two airlines, our goal is simple: restore American Airlines to its status as the greatest airline in the world. That's why we're taking delivery of two new aircraft every week, have given you access to the world's best network through a codeshare agreement, and now offer the ability to earn and redeem miles on both carriers.

As we continue to align our business, we have a few updates to share with you about our new award travel levels and checked bag policies:

Redeem for less. Effective today for travel starting June 1, 2014, a one‑way AAnytime award now starts as low as 20,000 miles plus applicable taxes and carrier–imposed fees. Plus we've lowered the minimum number of miles needed for AAnytime awards to popular destinations like Hawaii, the Caribbean and Europe. Our lowest AAnytime mileage levels are available for more than 50% of the year. Don't forget we still offer MileSAAver awards that can be redeemed for as low as 12,500 miles each way, plus applicable taxes and carrier-imposed fees.

No blackout dates! Continue to use your miles for any seat on any American Airlines flight using an AAnytime Award. Award levels vary by date and a few select dates throughout the year are now offered at higher mileage levels.

For complete information, visit the American Airlines award chart.

Checked Baggage — We've also updated our baggage policies, effective for tickets issued on American Airlines flights on or after April 8 and for tickets issued on US Airways flights on or after April 23.

For complete information, visit aa.com/baggage.

Thank you for flying with us. We appreciate your loyalty and will keep you updated as we continue to build the new American.
Regards,

Suzanne L. Rubin
President
AAdvantage Loyalty Program
I received the same email. It presents a positive spin, and provides the links to get more details. But my opinion, is that the letter should not only highlight the positive changes, but also the negative changes with a positive spin (the way UA does it).

For example, all significant changes should have been highlight with a few sentences each. A caveat should have been stated - that in our efforts to align AA and US FF programs the following changes are being made.

1. Lower reward levels for some AAnytime awards to these destinations ---.
2. Higher levels for ....
3. Removal of the international gateway stopover which was not available at US for example.
4. etc.

5. Golds now get one free check bag to align with US. US CC members with Barclay card now get 1 free checked bag (an improvement).

etc etc.

If UA - UA would have at least highlighted all changes (including negative ones) and put a positive spin on it and called it "enhanced" or alignment. Or at least provided some rationale for the changes.

AA should likely had more detail in the email and less fluff.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 10:23 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by flyerdude88
Avios are becoming more and more valuable by the minute for use on US/AA domestic flights
Not really. BA only issues awards against Saver availability, which is unaffected by AA's changes (for now).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.