Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Increases AAnytime Award Mileage Costs / Adds Tiers [8 Apr 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2014, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

AA Award Changes for travel as of June 1, 2014:

http://hub.aa.com/en/nr/pressrelease...light-services

• Explorer Awards (formerly known as oneworld Awards) discontinued (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...pr-2014-a.html)
• AAnytime Awards split into Levels 1, 2, 3
• MilesSAAver Awards remain split into Levels 1 (formerly Off-peak) and Level 2 (formerly Peak)

Link to Miles tiers and requirements for award travel through May 2014

Link to Miles tiers and requirements for awards travel as of June 1 2014

AAnytime Award Tiers by Date (note that they vary by regions)

Green = Level 1
Yellow = Level 2
Red = Level 3

CONUS Calendar:

N. America - Hawaii Calendar:

New AAnytime rates, including current Level 3 prices (no more guessing what the * means):

Moderator Note:

We would invite members who are frustrated at this change and interested in venting, or who would like to discuss ways to communicate displeasure to the powers that be, to head to this thread:

Angry about AAdvantage devaluation / vent / what can I do? (April 2014, consolidated)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2014, 7:52 am

------

Last edited by crimsonAA; Nov 14, 2017 at 7:06 am
Old Apr 8, 2014, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Here's the positive spin email that just came through. I have not redacted the senders name since given her position at AA I believe it is in the public domain but if the moderators believe it should be redacted so be it:

Hello flyerdude88,
AAdvantage Executive Platinum Number: XXXXXXX

As we integrate our two airlines, our goal is simple: restore American Airlines to its status as the greatest airline in the world. That's why we're taking delivery of two new aircraft every week, have given you access to the world's best network through a codeshare agreement, and now offer the ability to earn and redeem miles on both carriers.

As we continue to align our business, we have a few updates to share with you about our new award travel levels and checked bag policies:

Redeem for less. Effective today for travel starting June 1, 2014, a one‑way AAnytime award now starts as low as 20,000 miles plus applicable taxes and carrier–imposed fees. Plus we've lowered the minimum number of miles needed for AAnytime awards to popular destinations like Hawaii, the Caribbean and Europe. Our lowest AAnytime mileage levels are available for more than 50% of the year. Don't forget we still offer MileSAAver awards that can be redeemed for as low as 12,500 miles each way, plus applicable taxes and carrier-imposed fees.

No blackout dates! Continue to use your miles for any seat on any American Airlines flight using an AAnytime Award. Award levels vary by date and a few select dates throughout the year are now offered at higher mileage levels.

For complete information, visit the American Airlines award chart.

Checked Baggage — We've also updated our baggage policies, effective for tickets issued on American Airlines flights on or after April 8 and for tickets issued on US Airways flights on or after April 23.

For complete information, visit aa.com/baggage.

Thank you for flying with us. We appreciate your loyalty and will keep you updated as we continue to build the new American.
Regards,

Suzanne L. Rubin
President
AAdvantage Loyalty Program
Old Apr 8, 2014, 8:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Holy crap, it sounds just like Delta. Talk about a spin machine...and no mention of the Explorer awards...

Hello Daniel,
AAdvantage Executive Platinum Number: XXXXX

As we integrate our two airlines, our goal is simple: restore American Airlines to its status as the greatest airline in the world. That's why we're taking delivery of two new aircraft every week, have given you access to the world's best network through a codeshare agreement, and now offer the ability to earn and redeem miles on both carriers.

As we continue to align our business, we have a few updates to share with you about our new award travel levels and checked bag policies:

Redeem for less. Effective today for travel starting June 1, 2014, a one‑way AAnytime award now starts as low as 20,000 miles plus applicable taxes and carrier–imposed fees. Plus we've lowered the minimum number of miles needed for AAnytime awards to popular destinations like Hawaii, the Caribbean and Europe. Our lowest AAnytime mileage levels are available for more than 50% of the year. Don't forget we still offer MileSAAver awards that can be redeemed for as low as 12,500 miles each way, plus applicable taxes and carrier-imposed fees.

No blackout dates! Continue to use your miles for any seat on any American Airlines flight using an AAnytime Award. Award levels vary by date and a few select dates throughout the year are now offered at higher mileage levels.

For complete information, visit the American Airlines award chart.

Checked Baggage — We've also updated our baggage policies, effective for tickets issued on American Airlines flights on or after April 8 and for tickets issued on US Airways flights on or after April 23.

For complete information, visit aa.com/baggage.

Thank you for flying with us. We appreciate your loyalty and will keep you updated as we continue to build the new American.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 8:08 am

Programs: AA PLT; SPG PLT
Originally Posted by callmedtop
Holy crap, it sounds just like Delta. Talk about a spin machine...and no mention of the Explorer awards...
No kidding, just got that too. No mention of the level 2, level 3 anytime awards. No mention of the elimination of Oneworld Explorer. No mention of the elimination of gateway stopovers. Thanks for nothing Suzanne L. Rubin you liar.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 8:09 am

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
No mention of the increased "anytime" awards either. (andrei beat me to it)

I sent a nice rant that won't matter to AA. I can't wait for my form letter telling me about how this new chart is "better".

I'm stuck holding 300k + 100k incoming from Citi. Not very pleased to be diplomatic...
Old Apr 8, 2014, 8:13 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by andreirublev
No kidding, just got that too. No mention of the level 2, level 3 anytime awards. No mention of the elimination of Oneworld Explorer. No mention of the elimination of gateway stopovers. Thanks for nothing Suzanne L. Rubin you liar.
More obfuscation than lying. The negative changes aren't sugar-coated -- they aren't even mentioned; instead customers have to dive into the material to figure out what negative elements have hit.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by GUWonder
More obfuscation than lying. The negative changes aren't sugar-coated -- they aren't even mentioned; instead customers have to dive into the material to figure out what negative elements have hit.
And other than FTers/MPers, I'm guessing few will ever dive into the material. Of course, we will go over it very deeply .
Old Apr 8, 2014, 8:16 am

Programs: FT
i feel your pain. i got the shaft up from BA when they screwed us in NA to asia....without notice also. that is what bothers me the most really.

used some of my wife's AA stash for a trip in May but now wonder if i need to book some CX J flights just in case they shaft those redemptions also.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 8:21 am

The press release is another exercise in misleading readers: http://hub.aa.com/en/nr/pressrelease...light-services
Old Apr 8, 2014, 8:24 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by benjyyy
Doesn't really make sense. If the cost of airplane tickets goes up then people are already paying more to accrue miles due to this, there should be no effect on the award chart. The main inflation reason is no doubt the 100k miles credit cards etc. and AA did not have to make these available, they are completely responsible for printing their currency and selling them to credit card companies and then with no notice, slashing the value of the currency.

That is not acceptable behaviour.
Many of the airlines survived in large part because of credit cards. They are immensely profitable.

This is a business, not a charity institution. And it is a business that for the most part has bled cash for the last 13 years. Only recently has it begun to turn a profit and that is because of many changes like this.

Do I like it? No of course not.
Did I expect it? Yes.
Do I understand the business case? Yes.
What do I want to happen next? AA follows UA's lead and provides larger earnings for F/J/full Y tickets to represent the exponentially higher fare paid.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
The press release says:
Effective today for travel starting June 1, Dividend Miles members now will be able to book last seat availability awards for flights year-round without any blackout dates. For AAdvantage members, AAnytime award travel will now be available more for than half of the year at an even lower redemption level. Previous redemption rates called for 25,000 miles one way, and the new redemptions will start at 20,000 miles one way. Redemption mileage during the remainder of the year will begin at 30,000 miles one way for last seat availability. The exceptions will fall on the busiest travel days of the year. On those days, American will offer a higher award redemption option, which will be available starting at 50,000 miles one way.
So does this mean that the levels are fixed in advance by day (or by flight) to 20K/30K/50K? Or will the price increase as the flight gets filled up?
Old Apr 8, 2014, 8:28 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, HHonors Diamond, National Executive
I was just looking for a one-way flight and found AAnytime awards from DFW-OKC for 50,000 miles on June 27. Insanity.

Last edited by LucWise; Apr 8, 2014 at 8:35 am
Old Apr 8, 2014, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LucWise
I was just looking for a flight and found AAnytime awards from DFW-OKC for 50,000 miles on June 27. Insanity.

Avios are becoming more and more valuable by the minute for use on US/AA domestic flights
Old Apr 8, 2014, 8:33 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by LucWise
I was just looking for a flight and found AAnytime awards from DFW-OKC for 50,000 miles on June 27. Insanity.
Is that one-way?
Old Apr 8, 2014, 8:34 am

Programs: AA: EXP/5.2mm
Originally Posted by sts603
This is a business, not a charity institution. And it is a business that for the most part has bled cash for the last 13 years. Only recently has it begun to turn a profit and that is because of many changes like this.

Do I like it? No of course not.
Did I expect it? Yes.
Do I understand the business case? Yes.
Exactly - quit whining, all of you. The rules have changed - a lot, as expected. And, they will continue to change in the future, probably negatively. New AA will continue to optimize its rules and regs - including for AAdvantage -- so as to optimize their profitability. Your job is to optimize your own behavior within the constraints they provide. If you don't like it, take Amtrak.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.