Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Increases AAnytime Award Mileage Costs / Adds Tiers [8 Apr 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2014, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

AA Award Changes for travel as of June 1, 2014:

http://hub.aa.com/en/nr/pressrelease...light-services

• Explorer Awards (formerly known as oneworld Awards) discontinued (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...pr-2014-a.html)
• AAnytime Awards split into Levels 1, 2, 3
• MilesSAAver Awards remain split into Levels 1 (formerly Off-peak) and Level 2 (formerly Peak)

Link to Miles tiers and requirements for award travel through May 2014

Link to Miles tiers and requirements for awards travel as of June 1 2014

AAnytime Award Tiers by Date (note that they vary by regions)

Green = Level 1
Yellow = Level 2
Red = Level 3

CONUS Calendar:

N. America - Hawaii Calendar:

New AAnytime rates, including current Level 3 prices (no more guessing what the * means):

Moderator Note:

We would invite members who are frustrated at this change and interested in venting, or who would like to discuss ways to communicate displeasure to the powers that be, to head to this thread:

Angry about AAdvantage devaluation / vent / what can I do? (April 2014, consolidated)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2015, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I saw a flight that was 12.5k become AAnytime Level 1 and then become AAnytime Level 2 in the course of the past three months. This for a flight in the middle of next month. 30k miles for a one-way short-haul domestic flight still being sold by AA for less than $190.
Has anyone observed a flight showing AAnytime Level 2 availability changing into showing only AAnytime Level 3 availability?

I am sitting on the fence hoping that a availability for a TATL flight will open up in Level 1 (or saver) before I ticket, but I wanted to check my logic, in case people observed different behavior and in case Level 3 was not determined solely by the date as previously communicated.

Thanks!
Old Aug 8, 2015, 9:59 am

Mileage changes [award and mileage levels]

I am beginning to plan a trip for next summer (PHL-MCO). As of now, at 12500 miles, the only flight available are with stops. Nonstop flights start at 25K. Is that something that could change or should I plan on using another form of rewards to book the trip?

thanks
Old Aug 8, 2015, 10:46 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

There are different levels of award one can find for nonstop (higher demand) and connections (greater inconvenience level, less demand). I'd doubt there'll be greater availability closer to flight time.

If the lower rate becomes available on the nonstop flight, merely changing routing incurs no change fee.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 10:34 pm

"If the lower rate becomes available on the nonstop flight, merely changing routing incurs no change fee." -- are you saying that if I book a flight with stops as long as the departure and arrival locations are the same, i can make a change to the flight? thanks!
Old Aug 13, 2015, 11:21 am

Based on some searching, it looks like AA has raised the award prices on some top award pricing.
Top domestic coach awards went from 50,000 to 75,000 one-way (there are some 65,000 too)
Top domestic first class awards went 75,000 to 100,000 one-way (there are some 90,000 too)
Old Aug 13, 2015, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by ScroogeMcFlyer
Based on some searching, it looks like AA has raised the award prices on some top award pricing.
Top domestic coach awards went from 50,000 to 75,000 one-way (there are some 65,000 too)
Top domestic first class awards went 75,000 to 100,000 one-way (there are some 90,000 too)
Do you have an example or remember approximately which flights you were searching for? Thanks.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by rrgg
Do you have an example or remember approximately which flights you were searching for? Thanks.
Take a look at any domestic flight on Nov 29 or Nov 30, Dec 18, 19, March 22, July 1 as some examples. Nov 29 is the most expensive of them all.

3-cabin first class caps out at 290,000 miles roundtrip.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 2:23 pm

Wow! 75k for a one-way domestic economy AAnytime (BOS-MSY), which I could buy for $220 cash instead.

Thank God Parker gave us "no blackout dates" for this privilege. (Oh wait, we already no blackout dates.)
Old Aug 13, 2015, 6:39 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum
Transcon Reward Miles?

Hello, does anyone know how transcon award miles work? I am looking to book anytime miles for Nov 30 JFK-SFO, and the website shows that it is 65k miles one way.

Are transcon routes subject to their own redemption amounts? Where can I find the info for this? Because I do not see any exclusions on AA's award chart.

Thanks.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by fishy21
Hello, does anyone know how transcon award miles work? I am looking to book anytime miles for Nov 30 JFK-SFO, and the website shows that it is 65k miles one way.

Are transcon routes subject to their own redemption amounts? Where can I find the info for this? Because I do not see any exclusions on AA's award chart.

Thanks.
If you're booking AAnytime awards, and AA deems it to their liking, then there are no charts to show typical mileage requirement for any route. They depend on a number of factors and AA can change miles required. It's only SAAver awards & AAnytime Level 1 & 2 that you can see a chart of published rates.

From http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/re...ward-chart.jsp

AAnytime award levels vary by date and region. There are select dates that require a higher number of miles (in addition to Level 1 and 2 awards). When you search for awards while booking, you’ll see the applicable award level.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by fishy21

Thanks.
If you can actually find a MileSaaver award, they are the standard amount; should be 12.5k each way for coach, 25k for business, umm, I think 32.5k for first?

If you can only find AAnytime, well, the new AAnytime awards are all dynamic pricing. 65k miles one way is a bit dear, but it's all capacity/demand based.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 10:22 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum
Thanks. I found it...

"AAnytime award levels vary by date and region."

So shouldn't there be a Level 3 then? For awards between 30,001 - Infinity. Love it when companies are so transparent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.