Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Increases AAnytime Award Mileage Costs / Adds Tiers [8 Apr 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2014, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

AA Award Changes for travel as of June 1, 2014:

http://hub.aa.com/en/nr/pressrelease...light-services

• Explorer Awards (formerly known as oneworld Awards) discontinued (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...pr-2014-a.html)
• AAnytime Awards split into Levels 1, 2, 3
• MilesSAAver Awards remain split into Levels 1 (formerly Off-peak) and Level 2 (formerly Peak)

Link to Miles tiers and requirements for award travel through May 2014

Link to Miles tiers and requirements for awards travel as of June 1 2014

AAnytime Award Tiers by Date (note that they vary by regions)

Green = Level 1
Yellow = Level 2
Red = Level 3

CONUS Calendar:

N. America - Hawaii Calendar:

New AAnytime rates, including current Level 3 prices (no more guessing what the * means):

Moderator Note:

We would invite members who are frustrated at this change and interested in venting, or who would like to discuss ways to communicate displeasure to the powers that be, to head to this thread:

Angry about AAdvantage devaluation / vent / what can I do? (April 2014, consolidated)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:20 am

------

Last edited by crimsonAA; Nov 14, 2017 at 7:06 am
Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by lhl12
Exactly - quit whining, all of you. The rules have changed - a lot, as expected. And, they will continue to change in the future, probably negatively. New AA will continue to optimize its rules and regs - including for AAdvantage -- so as to optimize their profitability. Your job is to optimize your own behavior within the constraints they provide. If you don't like it, take Amtrak.
wow. what a ----

and people don't believe Doug Parker reads FT. he's a member!
Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:28 am

Programs: Level 5 Kayaker
Originally Posted by Paulakers2010
Can someone confirm whether the change involves the cut of gateway stopovers? Didn't say anywhere in AA.com

http://www.aa.com/i18n/disclaimers/f...ward-chart.jsp
Yes.

I had an award itin on hold that included a stopover at a domestic international gateway: YY-gateway-ZZ / ZZ-gateway; I live in the gateway. When I tried to purchase this morning after reading this thread, it repriced, adding 12.5K miles for the domestic leg. I called up, played dumb, and they agreed to honor the original award rate. The agent initially agreed that the original rate was correct and put me on hold. She came back and said that the award rules changed today (4/8/14), and stopovers are no longer allowed and now price as two trips, so the reprice was correct under the new rules.

Before I could start pushing back, she said that they would honor the original rate on my hold. The reservation is now in the review queue and not ticketed yet, so the issue for me isn't totally resolved.

Update: Now ticketed at the original hold rate (free stopover).

Last edited by Y_me?; Apr 8, 2014 at 12:05 pm
Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:29 am

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by onesocalkid
Ouch, looks like our family-of-five trip to Seattle just ballooned to 300,000 miles....I'll earn when I fly, but sure looks like SPG Amex and Chase Sapphire Preferred just garnered all of my credit spend.
A family of 5 can get from SAT to SEA for 47-80K WN points total RT with a pair of companion passes. With free checked bags. Doing anything else with CC spend before getting those is just nuts for a family in a city with WN service.

The biggest change for families in cities without international partner service is that WN and similar points have become more valuable as positioning is going from 'occasionally needed to avoid ripoff pricing' to 'usually or always needed'.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:31 am

Programs: AA EXP
I don't usually book AAnytime awards, but the loss of stopover is a big blow.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:33 am

Programs: AA 2MM PLT, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by coltonatx
I wouldn't be surprised. They have been giving out miles left and right with people claiming they were approved for up to 5 Citi executive cards with 100k sign up bonus.

It's simple economics: inflation!
It looks like premium cabin AAnytime awards have increased ~10-30% for even Level 1. If this is "inflation", is American going to also "pay" us 10-30% more miles on the flights we take??
Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:33 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Bloggers kill deals. Think of this the next time you click on a credit card link.
Soooo... this increase is caused by bloggers?
Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:36 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by JHunter
It looks like premium cabin AAnytime awards have increased ~10-30% for even Level 1. If this is "inflation", is American going to also "pay" us 10-30% more miles on the flights we take??
I hope so. AA should follow UA's lead. F/J fares are better rewarded on AA.

That said, some AAnytime awards have decreased at level 1. See e.g., domestic US or US to Caribbean are down 5K and 10K at the Level 1 rate.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:38 am
Suspended

Programs: AA Advanatge
Its worse than anyone thinks, because AAnytime awards, at least to Asia are no longer available on certain days of the week, even 8 months out. Effectively, they are making the program no better than the competition, and makes mile accumulation worthless.

I forwarded to info to our CFO......good bye Citi Adv (I was the last remaining holdout) and hello AMEX. I'm also done with loyalty to AA......I have no ill will towards them, but since I book J or F, I will simply price shop. Hence why I have mentioned in other threads my slow switch to EX and CX for Asia travel.

Cheers,
AA777

Last edited by AA777; Apr 8, 2014 at 9:49 am
Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:40 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Have any changes been made to SWU redemption on (revenue) stopover itineraries? Specifically, multisegment flights with stopovers (up to 3) are upgraded on a single SWU.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by sts603
I hope so. AA should follow UA's lead. F/J fares are better rewarded on AA.

That said, some AAnytime awards have decreased at level 1. See e.g., domestic US or US to Caribbean are down 5K and 10K at the Level 1 rate.
A lot of seats that were at the old AAnytime level will probably be moved to Level 2. Some SAAvers will be probably be moved to AAnytime Level 1. It's a shell game.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:43 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
I really don't mind the new award charts. AAnytime Awards are something I would never redeem for even at the old rates, so it doesn't affect me. The loss of the stopover sucks, but so be it. Things could be a lot worse. My first class tickets to Hong Kong are still only 67.5k each way, I'm good.

I'm more concerned by the lack of notice - US Airways customers may be used to this, but I'm certainly not. Very poor show.

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
If stopovers are gone I'm switching to UA THIS SUCKS

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by lhl12
Exactly - quit whining, all of you. The rules have changed - a lot, as expected. And, they will continue to change in the future, probably negatively. New AA will continue to optimize its rules and regs - including for AAdvantage -- so as to optimize their profitability. Your job is to optimize your own behavior within the constraints they provide. If you don't like it, take Amtrak.
I think many people understand devals. What many people have a problem with is overnight devals without any notice. To me that is in very poor taste.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:45 am

Programs: AA EXP/OW Emerald
The repetition of twitter responses is starting to get amusing, with the two below alternating almost every other reply to someone:
"These policy changes ensure we can invest in and deliver the best possible products and services."
"These changes are based on our study of industry trends & policies of our global competitors."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.