Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Increases AAnytime Award Mileage Costs / Adds Tiers [8 Apr 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2014, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

AA Award Changes for travel as of June 1, 2014:

http://hub.aa.com/en/nr/pressrelease...light-services

• Explorer Awards (formerly known as oneworld Awards) discontinued (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...pr-2014-a.html)
• AAnytime Awards split into Levels 1, 2, 3
• MilesSAAver Awards remain split into Levels 1 (formerly Off-peak) and Level 2 (formerly Peak)

Link to Miles tiers and requirements for award travel through May 2014

Link to Miles tiers and requirements for awards travel as of June 1 2014

AAnytime Award Tiers by Date (note that they vary by regions)

Green = Level 1
Yellow = Level 2
Red = Level 3

CONUS Calendar:

N. America - Hawaii Calendar:

New AAnytime rates, including current Level 3 prices (no more guessing what the * means):

Moderator Note:

We would invite members who are frustrated at this change and interested in venting, or who would like to discuss ways to communicate displeasure to the powers that be, to head to this thread:

Angry about AAdvantage devaluation / vent / what can I do? (April 2014, consolidated)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2014, 1:42 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
Are you really under the misguided notion that DUI Doug is finished? the same riff raff who used explorer awards are the type to fly in your cabin to HKG on CX and maybe on to BKK. one night (likely sooner than later) you'll go to bed thinking about your next 67.5k trip and wake up to find it's now 230k except high season when it starts at 275 with no baggage allowance except 7kg carry-on and $20/kg for anything above.
No, but I'm not paranoid, and I don't expect changes to saver awards to be unreasonable.

I probably hate DUI Doug more than anybody else on this forum, but I do have trust things will stay reasonable.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by AA777

US Gov needs to let foreign carriers fly point to point WITHIN the U.S.......the majors would change or go out of business, simple as that. Competition is a good thing......

Cheers,
AA777
THIS.

if the govt is going to be intertwined and protecting them, then regulate them. better, step aside and watch them get crushed. throw in the down slope of the economic cycle when the tab gets called on $4 trillion of printed money and.... well, if losing the bid for delta was enough to get Doug primed for his 3rd DUI, this bender will be one of those freeway closed and 52 squad cars following him home to say goodbye to his dog kind of spectacles...
Old Apr 8, 2014, 1:56 pm
Used to be 'rockferd'

Programs: AS MVP 75K, UA Gold, HH: Diamond, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
My biggest fear (as I posted on upgrd) about this change is the AAnytime level 3 award change. As it's not defined by anything other than "AAnytime Level 3 awards are offered on a few select dates and will require higher number of miles to redeem" What does this mean, how many days of year is this and How many miles will be needed? All this does is leave LOTS of room for AA to further devalue their award program!
Old Apr 8, 2014, 1:57 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by AA777
US Gov needs to let foreign carriers fly point to point WITHIN the U.S.......the majors would change or go out of business, simple as that. Competition is a good thing......
I believe this is something similar to what Norwegian Long Haul is attempting to do, with outsourced staff working on offshore contracts at poverty wages. Considering this nation's fascination with the lowest possible price, I would predict that such a scenario would result in greatly reduced service levels.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 2:01 pm

Programs: FT
maybe airlines figured the vast majority of people have no idea what miles are worth and will run the risk that they might offend us that do??? Hell, my mom has no idea how to use her miles.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by DoubleWidesFly
My biggest fear (as I posted on upgrd) about this change is the AAnytime level 3 award change. As it's not defined by anything other than "AAnytime Level 3 awards are offered on a few select dates and will require higher number of miles to redeem" What does this mean, how many days of year is this and How many miles will be needed? All this does is leave LOTS of room for AA to further devalue their award program!
There's an interview with Rubin where she implies that the asterisk is used for dates that used to be US blackout dates. She also implies they don't yet know the price.

Edited to delete the sentence: I take that to mean nothing is priced at Level 3 yet.

Last edited by rrgg; Apr 8, 2014 at 2:43 pm
Old Apr 8, 2014, 2:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by hqly2001
wow.. i'm afraid that AA will devalue their international redeption overnight. I should probably book a few trips to burn all my points before it costs 100k each way to hkg on cx in F soon!
That should take them a bit longer to arrange because they will have to get all the partners to agree to whatever changes they might want and doing that is a bit like herding cats. (Famous last words...)
Old Apr 8, 2014, 2:12 pm
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
I believe this is something similar to what Norwegian Long Haul is attempting to do, with outsourced staff working on offshore contracts at poverty wages. Considering this nation's fascination with the lowest possible price, I would predict that such a scenario would result in greatly reduced service levels.

^ Agree. Hope you like Ryanair.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Hey, look, everybody - Doug Parker finally signed up!

Seriously, though, welcome to Flyertalk.
i addressed his earlier rant from one of his older accounts, this is Doug's fresh new account.

and from the looks of it, seems Dougie might be a bit ginned up by now. folks on the road in the dallas area, keep a weathered eye.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 2:21 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
DY's possible approach is quite different than what was suggested in the post to which you responded.

By the way, the cruise industry is the one that uses the model DY is sort of considering to replicate in a limited way. And the service levels in the cruise industry are what, greatly reduced, because of the offshore staff approach? Doubtful.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 2:21 pm

------

Last edited by crimsonAA; Nov 14, 2017 at 7:12 am
Old Apr 8, 2014, 2:25 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by rrgg
There's an interview with Rubin where she implies that the asterisk is used for dates that used to be US blackout dates. She also implies they don't yet know the price. I take that to mean nothing is priced at Level 3 yet.
You can see an example of Level 3 prices if you look at LAX-MIA on the week after Christmas.

• Business/First AAnytime
  • (50K one-way on the old chart)
  • Level 1 = 45k
  • Level 2 = 55k
  • Level 3 = Unspecified

• DEC
  • 28 = 75K
  • 29 = 55K
  • 30 = 55K
  • 31 = 55K
  • 01 = 55K
  • 02 = 55K
  • 03 = 75K

AA operates three cabin 777's on some flights on this route. First AAnytime is 115K one-way on the 28th and 3rd.

I read the letter to mean that Level 3 rates will float with the supply and demand.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 2:25 pm

Programs: US GP (used to be *G, now,what)
Originally Posted by SWG
Time to use up my ParkerPoints before they devalue again
ParkerPoints... Love it!

How many Sky Pesos per Parker Point?
Old Apr 8, 2014, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
That should take them a bit longer to arrange because they will have to get all the partners to agree to whatever changes they might want and doing that is a bit like herding cats. (Famous last words...)
Does anyone actually know how partners are compensated? Cash basis, accounting write-offs for seats "given away", reciprocal seats for members of partner's program, etc.?

If it's the case that the partner airline receives some form of tangible compensation (currency or equivalent), then I don't see how AA couldn't come to them and say 1) we hold captive much of your award feeder traffic from the U.S. and 2) your cut will go up when we raise these award prices.

At the deepest level, I kind of doubt most of these partners, many of whom run routes with lots of deep-pocketed revenue travelers, really enjoy being used as chauffeurs for a continent's worth of AA credit card bonus recipients. I'd think they would spring for anything that either gets them greater compensation or opens up more of their seats to revenue (even if that revenue comes from selling cash upgrades).

Also, this:
Originally Posted by crimsonAA
No, lots is priced at Level 3. Look at the holiday season. 50K one way for a domestic coach award. And I should note that it's NOT just Thanksgiving weekend. On some popular routes (DCA-MIA), it's like every weekend in November/December.
I was looking just today at a trip I have booked. Coming back from Thailand first weekend of the new year and flying into ORD by way of NRT. Currently have a silly routing through CLT just to get back to DCA. Looking around, thinking (before today) maybe some SAAver award availability would open up ORD-DCA direct. Scratch that thought. Instead I'm seeing 50k economy seats ORD-DCA. Now hopping around the east coast in US F doesn't seem like such a bad way to get home after all.

Last edited by arlflyer; Apr 8, 2014 at 2:34 pm
Old Apr 8, 2014, 2:30 pm

Why did I wait to plan my oneworld explorer trip for May 2015!?!?! (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.