Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Increases AAnytime Award Mileage Costs / Adds Tiers [8 Apr 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2014, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

AA Award Changes for travel as of June 1, 2014:

http://hub.aa.com/en/nr/pressrelease...light-services

• Explorer Awards (formerly known as oneworld Awards) discontinued (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...pr-2014-a.html)
• AAnytime Awards split into Levels 1, 2, 3
• MilesSAAver Awards remain split into Levels 1 (formerly Off-peak) and Level 2 (formerly Peak)

Link to Miles tiers and requirements for award travel through May 2014

Link to Miles tiers and requirements for awards travel as of June 1 2014

AAnytime Award Tiers by Date (note that they vary by regions)

Green = Level 1
Yellow = Level 2
Red = Level 3

CONUS Calendar:

N. America - Hawaii Calendar:

New AAnytime rates, including current Level 3 prices (no more guessing what the * means):

Moderator Note:

We would invite members who are frustrated at this change and interested in venting, or who would like to discuss ways to communicate displeasure to the powers that be, to head to this thread:

Angry about AAdvantage devaluation / vent / what can I do? (April 2014, consolidated)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2014, 8:59 am

AA Quietly Increased Anytime Award Just Now

Just received the email of the award changes. AA basically said the good things about lower AAnytime awards but not the worse part of it. However, it doesn't say international gateway is not allowed. I hope gateway stopover remains.

You really cannot compare DM routing rules as most of the rules resembled UA MP routing rules when they were competing against each other in *A.

Originally Posted by lobo411
Quote:

Originally Posted by benjyyy

The main inflation reason is no doubt the 100k miles credit cards etc. and AA did not have to make these available, they are completely responsible for printing their currency and selling them to credit card companies and then with no notice, slashing the value of the currency.

That is not acceptable behaviour.

This is not "inflation," which is generally an accidental outcome of mistakes in monetary policy.

This is more like "stock watering," which is when crooked capitalists conceal crucial information about a failing business. Instead, they print/sell tons of stock to take advantage of hoodwinked investors who buy it because they don't know the business' true condition.

Stock watering was one reason why the SEC was created. Businesses are now required to file regular reports on their financial condition so investors can make educated decisions about whether to buy stock.

In this case, AA sold watered miles. AA management knew that the mile they were selling was only going to be worth 1/2 mile today. So what did it do? It issued tons of watered miles to capture as much capital as possible before its customers found out that they had been hoodwinked.
I agree 100%. I wouldn't be surprised if their move was motivated by the Supreme Court's recent decision. AA must feel empowered as they practically can't be sued

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by swag
Don't Avios book into Saaver award inventory? Which makes them unusable whenever the alternative is an AAdvantage Anytime award?
Indeed. And on the DFW-OKC date shown, there IS sAAver award inventory on 3 different flights which can be booked for 12.5K AA or 4.5K BA, or you could just drive and it wouldn't take any longer...

Still AAnytime is clearly no longer going to be even a halfway-decent way to book around July 4, Thanksgiving, Labor Day and Christmas.

Another oddity: overnight layovers are not showing up anymore on award searches.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:01 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
This is not "inflation," which is generally an accidental outcome of mistakes in monetary policy.

This is more like "stock watering," which is when crooked capitalists conceal crucial information about a failing business. Instead, they print/sell tons of stock to take advantage of hoodwinked investors who buy it because they don't know the business' true condition.

Stock watering was one reason why the SEC was created. Businesses are now required to file regular reports on their financial condition so investors can make educated decisions about whether to buy stock.

In this case, AA sold watered miles. AA management knew that the mile they were selling was only going to be worth 1/2 mile today. So what did it do? It issued tons of watered miles to capture as much capital as possible before its customers found out that they had been hoodwinked.
I disagree with OPs view of capitalists and capitalism, but not OP's view of AA's current management.

"Capitalism", which built America, and OBTW American Airlines is not a dirty word. Caveat Emptor http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caveat_emptor predates the 1st mention of capitalism by many, many centuries, and the SEC, by even more.

To say anything more would get me redacted.

Last edited by Dallas49er; Apr 8, 2014 at 9:47 am
Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:02 am

Programs: AA P-Pro, Chase SP, SPG Gold
Ouch, looks like our family-of-five trip to Seattle just ballooned to 300,000 miles....I'll earn when I fly, but sure looks like SPG Amex and Chase Sapphire Preferred just garnered all of my credit spend.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:04 am

Programs: AA: EXP/5.2mm
Originally Posted by benjyyy
But how can you do that when they change the constraints with no notice?

Think about it....how can you optimize your behavior? That requires planning. And that planning doesn't count for sh*t when they change the rules overnight. Think of people who have been planning explorer awards - try telling them they weren't optimizing their behavior? What a load of nonsense.
They took a risk that the rules wouldn't change before they bought their tickets. They lost that bet. Many, many other people - for years - were able to buy their tickets before the rules changed. They won that bet. The current set of people who lost out are unfortunate, but that's the way the cookie crumbles. The risk that you would lose out with a rules change is part of the optimization equation.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:07 am

------

Last edited by crimsonAA; Nov 14, 2017 at 7:06 am
Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:07 am

Programs: AA: EXP/5.2mm

AA's behavior may be analogous to stock watering, but frequent flyer miles are not securities, and do not get similar protection. They are a loyalty program where this sort of behavior is explicitly allowed, by contract. You don't have to like what they did, but it is completely legal. Caveat emptor.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:08 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by flyerdude88
Ouch - this one hurts. I was willing to give Parker the benefit of the doubt until now. At least UA had the decency to give a warning.
Why give him that benefit? US had a long history of no-warning devaluations. The key to happiness is setting low expectations. In the case of Dougie, the bar drops to ground level.

Most of us knew this would happen and planned accordingly. The game will keep changing to close loopholes and extract every possible dime they can from us. The best way you can protect yourself is not holding large sums of AA currency, i.e. miles. Also you can plan trips far in advance to get grandfathered when changes like this happen.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by KennyBSAT
As much as these changes suck, they are a decrease in price on many dates in some places (I.E. weekday AAnytime to Caribbean changed from 35K to 27.5K). I'm surprised AA didn't try to put some positive spin on this yesterday.
The small family traveling casually and with some (but not much) flexibly can derive greater value from the program, IMO. It's not much but it is something.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Bloggers kill deals. Think of this the next time you click on a credit card link.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:12 am

AA Quietly Increased Anytime Award Just Now

Can someone confirm whether the change involves the cut of gateway stopovers? Didn't say anywhere in AA.com

http://www.aa.com/i18n/disclaimers/free-ticket-award-chart.jsp
Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Bloggers kill deals. Think of this the next time you click on a credit card link.
^
Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:16 am

AA so sneaky

Just received email announcing lower awards to many cities with a link to award chart. The email touts "no blackouts" and lower levels to many cities. But no mention in the email regarding new tiers and the reality of much higher levels.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:18 am

------

Last edited by crimsonAA; Nov 14, 2017 at 7:06 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.