Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Increases AAnytime Award Mileage Costs / Adds Tiers [8 Apr 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2014, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

AA Award Changes for travel as of June 1, 2014:

http://hub.aa.com/en/nr/pressrelease...light-services

• Explorer Awards (formerly known as oneworld Awards) discontinued (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...pr-2014-a.html)
• AAnytime Awards split into Levels 1, 2, 3
• MilesSAAver Awards remain split into Levels 1 (formerly Off-peak) and Level 2 (formerly Peak)

Link to Miles tiers and requirements for award travel through May 2014

Link to Miles tiers and requirements for awards travel as of June 1 2014

AAnytime Award Tiers by Date (note that they vary by regions)

Green = Level 1
Yellow = Level 2
Red = Level 3

CONUS Calendar:

N. America - Hawaii Calendar:

New AAnytime rates, including current Level 3 prices (no more guessing what the * means):

Moderator Note:

We would invite members who are frustrated at this change and interested in venting, or who would like to discuss ways to communicate displeasure to the powers that be, to head to this thread:

Angry about AAdvantage devaluation / vent / what can I do? (April 2014, consolidated)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2014, 1:55 am
vishnu88

Programs: Chase UR, AAdvantage, Dividend Miles, United MileagePlus
Originally Posted by amiras
AA.com is acting funny. Some itins work and some don't. I was able to price correctly LHR-JFK(stop)-HNL and LHR-JFK(stop)-CLT. For some reason LHR-JFK(stop)-DFW or LHR-JFK(stop)-MIA was giving me the message to call AAdvantage after selecting flights.....not sure what is going on here but I hope this doesn't go away
I'm getting some weird functionality as well. I am trying BUD-IAH(via LHR) on F and then onward from IAH-LAX. International gateway is not working(even though the time between flights is <24hours.)

I can't get LHR-LAS to come up for August at all. Same error.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 3:20 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Using AA.com multicity search or an AA.com one-way for the above search? The former is probably now frequently defaulting to pricing out things as two awards if seeking a route that way even if not going for a stopover at the international gateway city and following AA's published fare routing conformance thing.

Originally Posted by sukn

What is also unannounced as of yet is that International Gateway City Stopovers are also gone.
Training memo parts on that put together in previous weeks or months? If so, perhaps that may explain in part why I had so much trouble getting some mileage redemption problems fixed with AA customer service.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22615802-post15.html

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 8, 2014 at 3:39 am
Old Apr 8, 2014, 3:42 am
Suspended

Oneworld Explorer awards eliminated effective immediately

Oneworld explorer awards are eliminated effective immediately. No advance notice to customers.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 3:56 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Oneworld explorer awards are eliminated effective immediately. No advance notice to customers.
Where do you see that?

As of the moment, the chart is still on the web site: http://www.aa.com/i18n/disclaimers/oneworld_awards.jsp

This means a lot more to me than anytime awards
Old Apr 8, 2014, 4:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by richarddd
Where do you see that?

As of the moment, the chart is still on the web site: http://www.aa.com/i18n/disclaimers/oneworld_awards.jsp

This means a lot more to me than anytime awards
On Aa.com.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...mediately.html
Old Apr 8, 2014, 4:47 am

Programs: Kettle Class
I had originally tried out dates in Feb 2015, at about 1am EDT.

You are correct, I can no longer price out an HNL-LAX//LAX-LHR itinerary as a 20,000 mile off-peak award.

Originally Posted by Ready2Go
For travel after June 1? I can't.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Ouch - this one hurts. I was willing to give Parker the benefit of the doubt until now. At least UA had the decency to give a warning.

This should be another feather in the cap of the DOJ - this is definitely a pro-consumer outcome from approving the merger

More important question (for me at least) is how much is it going to cost to go J from the US - Australia. I'm on the tail-end of a UA F trip to Australia and had designs on another one in the next 12-18 months with my AA miles
Old Apr 8, 2014, 5:41 am

the first words on the landing page for aadvantage:

What does the merger with US Airways mean to AAdvantage members?

Loyalty just got better.

does anyone else get the feeling they're actually laughing at us and calling us idiots...
Old Apr 8, 2014, 5:41 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
I recently switched my business to AA from DL, and now all of this...even with all the AA marketing hype of don't worry, your miles are safe (paraphrase).

Are all stopovers eliminated, or just the one-way stopovers? I agree with richarddd in that no more explorer awards really sucks.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 5:52 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Anyone who didn't think this would happen had their head in the sand. Its less of a mile devaluation in my mind as it is an increase of rates to reflect the increased cost of airplane tickets and the fact that F/J cabins sell out far more often (and in the case of international, occupy far more floor space). Sure, I don't like it, but its not unfair or unexpected. Notice, however, should have been provided.

Yes, international gateway stopovers were a nice loophole. But come on, do we really think that the vast majority weren't used by hub residents who exploited them to get two tickets for the price of one?
Old Apr 8, 2014, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I sent a tweet to them and this was my response:

@XXXXXXX You’ll see some changes to the AA and US websites. We plan to officially announce some new policies later on today.

I'm in OZ so will be going to bed soon but those in the US be on the lookout for these new policies later today. Based on what we've seen so far things aren't looking good for what those policies may be
Old Apr 8, 2014, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by sts603
Anyone who didn't think this would happen had their head in the sand. Its less of a mile devaluation in my mind as it is an increase of rates to reflect the increased cost of airplane tickets and the fact that F/J cabins sell out far more often (and in the case of international, occupy far more floor space). Sure, I don't like it, but its not unfair or unexpected. Notice, however, should have been provided.

Yes, international gateway stopovers were a nice loophole. But come on, do we really think that the vast majority weren't used by hub residents who exploited them to get two tickets for the price of one?
Doesn't really make sense. If the cost of airplane tickets goes up then people are already paying more to accrue miles due to this, there should be no effect on the award chart. The main inflation reason is no doubt the 100k miles credit cards etc. and AA did not have to make these available, they are completely responsible for printing their currency and selling them to credit card companies and then with no notice, slashing the value of the currency.

That is not acceptable behaviour.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 6:29 am

Wow, those are some huge increases, with some thing nearly doubling overnight.

Even DL wouldn't have done this with absolutely no notice. Makes you wonder what's in store for the future...

Also, I really dislike the complete lack of transparency on award pricing. DL lists awards as low/medium/high. This just lists them as Saver/Anytime and Anytime can have variable pricing.

Big thumbs down on this. More for the way it was handled than that they did it.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 6:48 am

The magnitude of this will only become evident once we see what level of SAAver availability exists. My guess is that it's not going to be pretty. Has anyone tried to find a SAAver award lately? Have fun connecting through US hubs on US metal rather than flying AA metal direct, and international is out of the picture.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 6:49 am

Programs: AS MVP
As much as these changes suck, they are a decrease in price on many dates in some places (I.E. weekday AAnytime to Caribbean changed from 35K to 27.5K). I'm surprised AA didn't try to put some positive spin on this yesterday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.