Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Increases AAnytime Award Mileage Costs / Adds Tiers [8 Apr 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2014, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

AA Award Changes for travel as of June 1, 2014:

http://hub.aa.com/en/nr/pressrelease...light-services

• Explorer Awards (formerly known as oneworld Awards) discontinued (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...pr-2014-a.html)
• AAnytime Awards split into Levels 1, 2, 3
• MilesSAAver Awards remain split into Levels 1 (formerly Off-peak) and Level 2 (formerly Peak)

Link to Miles tiers and requirements for award travel through May 2014

Link to Miles tiers and requirements for awards travel as of June 1 2014

AAnytime Award Tiers by Date (note that they vary by regions)

Green = Level 1
Yellow = Level 2
Red = Level 3

CONUS Calendar:

N. America - Hawaii Calendar:

New AAnytime rates, including current Level 3 prices (no more guessing what the * means):

Moderator Note:

We would invite members who are frustrated at this change and interested in venting, or who would like to discuss ways to communicate displeasure to the powers that be, to head to this thread:

Angry about AAdvantage devaluation / vent / what can I do? (April 2014, consolidated)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2014, 8:34 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, HHonors Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by Stripe
Is that one-way?
Yes, one way. Now edited to reflect that omission.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 8:35 am

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
Ouch. I'm glad I burned all my miles a few months ago.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 8:35 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors Gold
In further news, American Airlines has changed the name of their AAnytime Award to, "AAnytime-we-damn-well-feel-like-it Award..."

Last edited by PDX Duck; Apr 8, 2014 at 8:40 am
Old Apr 8, 2014, 8:39 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by flyerdude88
Avios are becoming more and more valuable by the minute for use on US/AA domestic flights
but that came at a heavy price...namely, being shafted on redemptions to the far east from NA.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 8:41 am

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP
Here's what we can learn from the recent American Airlines AAdvantage Devaluations - http://first2board.com/pointssummary...-devaluations/
Old Apr 8, 2014, 8:45 am

Programs: AA, UA
I'm glad I cashed in half my miles for my trip to Italy in June. I'm looking to use more miles for my Christmas trip, probably to Paris.

This change is another reminder why one should never hoard miles for the long term. Use them as soon as you have them.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by lhl12
Exactly - quit whining, all of you. The rules have changed - a lot, as expected. And, they will continue to change in the future, probably negatively. New AA will continue to optimize its rules and regs - including for AAdvantage -- so as to optimize their profitability. Your job is to optimize your own behavior within the constraints they provide. If you don't like it, take Amtrak.
But how can you do that when they change the constraints with no notice?

Think about it....how can you optimize your behavior? That requires planning. And that planning doesn't count for sh*t when they change the rules overnight. Think of people who have been planning explorer awards - try telling them they weren't optimizing their behavior? What a load of nonsense.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 8:49 am

AA Quietly Increased Anytime Award Just Now

International gateway stopover is absolutely huge. I can't believe the upcoming changes are without any sort of announcement...
Old Apr 8, 2014, 8:49 am

And it figures I was just waiting to book an LAX - CLT (stop) - ROM award. Kind of a low ball move to just make this sudden change with no warning.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by flyerdude88
Avios are becoming more and more valuable by the minute for use on US/AA domestic flights
Don't Avios book into Saaver award inventory? Which makes them unusable whenever the alternative is an AAdvantage Anytime award?
Old Apr 8, 2014, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by benjyyy
The main inflation reason is no doubt the 100k miles credit cards etc. and AA did not have to make these available, they are completely responsible for printing their currency and selling them to credit card companies and then with no notice, slashing the value of the currency.

That is not acceptable behaviour.
This is not "inflation," which is generally an accidental outcome of mistakes in monetary policy.

This is more like "stock watering," which is when crooked capitalists conceal crucial information about a failing business. Instead, they print/sell tons of stock to take advantage of hoodwinked investors who buy it because they don't know the business' true condition.

Stock watering was one reason why the SEC was created. Businesses are now required to file regular reports on their financial condition so investors can make educated decisions about whether to buy stock.

In this case, AA sold watered miles. AA management knew that the mile they were selling was only going to be worth 1/2 mile today. So what did it do? It issued tons of watered miles to capture as much capital as possible before its customers found out that they had been hoodwinked.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 8:52 am

Programs: SPG Gold/HH Diamond/CC Gold/Hyatt Explorist
I have trouble subscribing to the "Earn & Burn" method. I get that points are a devaluing currency but at the end of the day I'd rather have points available for trips I need/want to take in the future instead of burning through them ASAP.

I am disappointed with the overnight change, however. Give us at least a week, a few days, any sort of notice would have been great for those who had plans in the works and wanted to redeem at current (now former) levels.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by swag
Don't Avios book into Saaver award inventory? Which makes them unusable whenever the alternative is an AAdvantage Anytime award?
I was about to write this same post...I don't think Avios help anything.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 8:57 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
<tinfoil hat>

Could the recent delays in posting miles from new Citi AA cards be intentional, so that those people wouldn't be able to use their bonuses with the old award charts?

</tinfoil hat>
Old Apr 8, 2014, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by lobo411
This is not "inflation," which is generally an accidental outcome of mistakes in monetary policy.

This is more like "stock watering," which is when crooked capitalists conceal crucial information about a failing business. Instead, they print/sell tons of stock to take advantage of hoodwinked investors who buy it because they don't know the business' true condition.

Stock watering was one reason why the SEC was created. Businesses are now required to file regular reports on their financial condition so investors can make educated decisions about whether to buy stock.

In this case, AA sold watered miles. AA management knew that the mile they were selling was only going to be worth 1/2 mile today. So what did it do? It issued tons of watered miles to capture as much capital as possible before its customers found out that they had been hoodwinked.
Exactly, explained it better than I ever could!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.