Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Long call wait / delay / hold times for AA phone lines (master thread)

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 24, 18, 1:39 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
AA operates non-status, Gold, Platinum and Platinum Pro combined call center as well as Executive Platinum, Concierge Key dedicated call centers.

Read on for alternatives

There can be several causes of lengthy call answering, among them irregular or off schedule operations (OSO / IROPS) caused by weather.

● Call wait times extend as OSO develop - storms, etc. particularly affecting hubs, which produce knock-on effects that may persist a day or two.

● You can see current AA travel policies: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform...avelAlerts.jsp

● You can always check FlightStats current North America airport delays, for example, to see how things are - here.

● For other useful links, tools etc. see the wiki for AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, delay, cancelation etc. resources (master thread).

Try using the AA Twitter team: @AmericanAir can help. Send them a request they follow you so you can send them DM (Direct Messages), then you can send them your AAdvantage number and EP status,which they can add to their profile on you. Then you can DM them privately with your PNR etc. (You must have a Twitter account.) This can be useful and rapid.

● At times like these AA may open their OSO (Off-Schedule Operations) desk to help inconvenienced travelers. 800-446-7834 is the number, and the desk is only staffed during severe OSO. (Please call only if your travel is disrupted, of course.)

● Others have called 1.800.222.2377 (web services) and had shorter response times.

● If you speak Castilian Spanish, Chinese Mandarin, Japanese or use a TDD, you may get faster attention; see numbers below.

● You can try calling non-USA numbers, listed here:

bchandler42 reports "During weather events, the elite line will have the option to press 1 for the callback. I use that, longest I've ever waited was about 40 minutes which was accurate with the expected time it gave me."

giblet called Thailand using Skype (2.3 cents a minute).

● There is one call-handling nexus, with prioritized lines for Gold, Platinum and Platinum Pro status holders, and separate Executive Platinum and Concierge Key "desks". Gold, Platinum and Platinum Pro callers are prioritized to be answered by the same agents that respond to non-status customers.

Code:
 Telephone numbers for speakers of Castilian Spanish, Chinese Mandarin, Japanese: 

English (Inglés)
 1-800-433-7300
 7 days a week

Japanese 1-800-237-0027
 6:00 a.m. - 12:00 a.m. CT 7 days a week

Mandarin Chinese 1-800-492-8095
 8:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. CT Mon - Fri
 8:00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m. CT Sat and Sun

Spanish 1-800-633-3711 7 días a la semana

TDD 1-800-543-1586
 (for hearing impaired or deaf people / 
 para personas con discapacidad auditiva o del habla)
Link to archived previous posts in ARCHIVE: Long wait / delay / hold times for AA phone lines (2014)
[/FONT]

"Transplanted from another post, for those affected overseas.

So many ways of calling AA directly; I'd try:

AT&T.
Smartphones that will automatically switch to using Internet for calls.
Skype 2 cents per minute), Google Hangouts or other VOIP services, including WiFi or Internet.

English 800-433-7300 24 hours, Daily

Japan +81 03-4333-7675

If you are calling from outside the U.S. or Canada, you may reach U.S. Reservations by using the following procedures. (Please note that the call is not toll free.)
  • Access the website http://www.business.att.com/bt/access.jsp. The site lists eligible countries and phone numbers.
  • Dial the AT&T access number provided on the website (it is different for each country).
  • An AT&T operator or English language voice prompt will ask for the telephone number you are calling. Dial 800-433-7300 for all American Airlines departments (except AAdvantage) or dial 800-882-8880 for the AAdvantage department.
  • After the tone, enter your regular AT&T Calling Card number (not the international number). You may also use the AT&T Corporate Calling card and many other U.S. local phone company cards. MasterCard, Visa, American Express, Discover/Novus or Diners Club cards can be used from many countries to place calls back to the U.S.
  • For assistance, press zero or stay on the line for an AT&T operator.
Also:

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH View Post
I'm currently in BKK, and needed to talk to AA about my rezzy. I didn't want the local number which would be answered in who-knows-where, I wanted a direct US number. Looked around both AA.com and FT (which is how I found this thread). Found nothing particularly helpful or which worked. The back of my EXP card has only an 800 number for the U.S., no local DFW area number.

Eventually, I just dialed +1-800-xxx-xxxx, the regular 800 number on the back of my EXP card, the same way I dial regular, non-800 numbers from abroad. Voila!!! I was connected with the EXP desk, just as if I were in the U.S.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

There are several ways to contact AA's U.S. numbers by telephone from outside the U.S. & Canada:

1) Those with Skype, Google Hangouts or other VOIP internet phone providers may be able to dial various AA 800 numbers directly toll free. Direct dialing an 800 number from a landline or mobile phone overseas may or may not work, and will not be toll free.

2) Use AT&T World Traveler Service to access AA 800 numbers from overseas. Long distance charges will apply and can be paid using an AT&T Calling Card, AT&T Prepaid Phone Card, credit card, or via collect call. AAdvantage elite customers (GLD, PLT, EXP) can dial their elite 800 number using this service and AT&T's systems will recognize these numbers and put the call through without asking for a payment method.

3) Call the AMR Headquarters number at 1-817-963-1234 from any telephone. Either an operator or the IVR system can then connect you with the appropriate department.

In addition, AA provides local numbers in many countries here: Worldwide Reservations Phone Numbers

See also the AA Wiki for additional information: Contacting American Airlines

This thread was extracted from an outdated 2002 thread, and merged with recent posts on this topic.

dstan
AA Forum Co-Moderator
and

Link to USA airport delays (FlightAware)

Link to FlightAware “Misery Map” (graphic representation of troubles on a USA map)

Link to AA cancelled flights today (FlightAware)

Link to cancelled flights (today, to two days out - FlightAware)

Link to FT Original Routing Credit thread in cases of
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 10, 15, 11:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1P, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Avis First

I found that the hold time for EXP desk is getting insanely long recently. Anybody experienced the same? Last week, I made two calls and was told the wait time was 45min - 1 hour. I am making a call now and I have been waiting for 15 min already. It's 12:15am CST - so it means nobody is at work?

I value the EXP Desk service to be one of the most important perks for EXP. Very disappointed with the recent experience with the EXP Desk...
Old Feb 11, 15, 12:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold
I understand there's weather, but this late at night there shouldn't be that long of a wait.
Old Feb 11, 15, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT & 4.28 MM, QR PLT, SPG LT PLT
I think that this has also been addressed in another thread.
Old Feb 11, 15, 4:26 am

I got a recording that the wait would be over an hour, two weeks ago, during the Chicago snow storm. I just took the option of having them call me back. Why didn't you do that?
Old Feb 11, 15, 8:13 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
We've created a 2014+ consolidated thread to discuss long wait times for the AA call centers. We see these threads pop-up pretty often when there are issues such as weather, union action, natural disasters, and IT failures.

We've also created a related thread for general issues with the AA phone/voice recognition system here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

Thanks. /Moderator
Old Feb 18, 15, 7:37 am

Programs: *S (TK), Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold
call center wait time

Anyone else notice the wait this morning for award booking is extraordinarily long? I have no status but usually I get thru instantly in the morning. Today it says over an hour.
Old Feb 18, 15, 7:51 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Whenever there are weather events the wait times can jump. Most likely just spillover from yesterday's cancellations on the east coast.
Old Feb 18, 15, 7:54 am

Are the award booking staff dedicated or do they handle other customer service tasks as well? The whole week (well, whole winter really) has been an IRROPS nightmare, so if the folks usually aimed at award redemptions can help with that too, it probably makes sense to move some of the bandwidth in that direction.
Old Feb 18, 15, 8:08 am

Programs: *S (TK), Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold
Well, I called to book an award the morning of the first blizzard in the NE (the one where Boston got hammered but NYC overpredicted); I waited 7 minutes. Called again the following morning; got thru immediately. I don't think there's anything today that's 10x worse than that, right?

[edit] the agent during that incident did say she was volunteering to overtime to help the situation. Maybe that made the difference.

It seems more likely they're short staffed today for some reason. I believe the call center is based in Dallas. But weather there seems fine, at least for today.

Last edited by italdesign; Feb 18, 15 at 9:03 am
Old Feb 22, 15, 9:52 am

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
Two hour wait for exp line

Holy crud, that's got to be a first. Just called the EXP desk and got a "more than 2 hour wait time" to speak with an agent after an unusually long "Press your luck" (old game show) noise. Computers couldn't retrieve anything either. I'm assuming it's either the snow storm (I'm sure there's another somewhere), a computer problem, or the agents all quit.
Old Feb 22, 15, 11:10 am

Programs: AA EXP and 1MM, UA 1K, HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by AA-Flyer-SAN View Post
Holy crud, that's got to be a first. Just called the EXP desk and got a "more than 2 hour wait time" to speak with an agent after an unusually long "Press your luck" (old game show) noise. Computers couldn't retrieve anything either. I'm assuming it's either the snow storm (I'm sure there's another somewhere), a computer problem, or the agents all quit.
I got the same thing. My flight from RDU is delayed and I am going to miss flight to Paris. Headed to airport to see if Admiral club angels can help.

Admirals Club was the answer - spent an hour at check in with no results - asked them to check me in for delayed flight and headed to Admirals Club where everythig was settled in less than five minutes.

Last edited by DevilDawg1960; Feb 22, 15 at 12:32 pm
Old Feb 22, 15, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, SPG Plat
Same here. I need to contact them due to a delay / missed connection but EXP wait time is greater than 2 hours. Very bizarre.
Old Feb 22, 15, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
I'm assuming it's either the snow storm (I'm sure there's another somewhere), a computer problem, or the agents all quit.
There's expected to be an ice storm hitting DFW tonight. I'm sure there are a lot of people rescheduling stuff.
Old Feb 22, 15, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold
Didn't have a two hour wait time, but I did experience the problems with the computers last night. Called three different times and the computer wouldn't pick up my phone number or EXP number when I dictated it. Got sent to the regular line, but fortunately was only on hold for about 3 minutes because I was calling at 12:30am.
Old Feb 22, 15, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Everything else: Dirt
I called regular aadvantage line and they won't even take calls. They just say call back later…no option to wait on hold. I tried plat line and got a 2 hour + callback time. What is going on? I have an award on hold that expires tonight that I need ticketed. I even tried calling UK desk but it said the number was out of service.

Search this Thread