FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Long call wait / delay / hold times for AA phone lines (master thread) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1541619-long-call-wait-delay-hold-times-aa-phone-lines-master-thread.html)

Zacnlinc Jan 9, 2020 5:33 pm

Just called EXP line and was informed to expect a callback between 1.75 to 2.25 hrs. Wow... Something is up indeed.

enpremiere Jan 9, 2020 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by Zacnlinc (Post 31930691)
Just called EXP line and was informed to expect a callback between 1.75 to 2.25 hrs. Wow... Something is up indeed.

There is a significant weather forecast for/impact the DFW and the ORD stations:

Severe weather - Dallas / Fort Worth

Information current as of January 9, 2020

If you're traveling to / through / from:

• Dallas / Fort Worth, Texas (DFW)

Your change fee and fare difference may be waived if you:

• Are traveling on an American Airlines flight
  • Bought your ticket by January 9, 2020
  • Are scheduled to travel January 10 - 11, 2020
  • Can travel January 9 - 13, 2020
  • Wish to change your origin and destination cities
  • Rebook in the same cabin or pay the difference

Change your trip

If your trip is eligible, you can make a one-time change online. Here's how:
  • Find your trip
  • If your trip is eligible, you'll see the option to 'change trip' in the toolbar
Find your trip

Delay your trip

We'll continue to waive change or cancellation fees to trips that include the listed cities for travel if you:
  • Are scheduled to travel January 10 - 11, 2020
  • Can travel January 9, 2020 and up to 331 days after your original ticket date
Changes must be:
  • Booked by January 11, 2020
  • Completed within 1 year of original ticket date; difference in fare may apply
These changes can't be made online – you must contact Reservations.

Call Reservations

Call Reservations to change your trip.

Contact Reservations

Winter weather - Chicago

Information current as of January 9, 2020

If you're traveling to / through / from:

• Chicago O'Hare (ORD)

Your change fee and fare difference may be waived if you:

• Are traveling on an American Airlines flight
  • Are scheduled to travel January 11 - 12, 2020
  • Can travel January 9 - 14, 2020
  • Don't change your origin or destination city
  • Rebook in the same cabin or pay the difference

Change your trip

If your trip is eligible, you can make a one-time change online. Here's how:
  • Find your trip
  • If your trip is eligible, you'll see the option to 'change trip' in the toolbar
Find your trip

Delay your trip

We'll continue to waive change or cancellation fees to trips that include the listed cities for travel if you:
  • Are scheduled to travel January 11 - 12, 2020
  • Can travel January 9, 2020 and up to 331 days after your original ticket date
Changes must be:
  • Booked by January 9, 2020
  • Completed within 1 year of original ticket date; difference in fare may apply
These changes can't be made online – you must contact Reservations.

Call Reservations

Call Reservations to change your trip.

Contact Reservations

Per: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/travel-alerts.jsp

ryan182 Jan 10, 2020 12:14 am

Originally Posted by Zacnlinc (Post 31930691)

Try SYD or other call centers, a few months ago I was traveling with a friend during a DFW meltdown and US EXP line quoted me 20+ mins - I held on and got through in under 10 so not bad. As a general member got a ridiculously long estimated wait time from the US number, I told him to call the SYD line and they got through in under 5 minutes, I'd have to guess that EXP to one of the overseas numbers would be much quicker.

jasonvr Jan 29, 2020 9:31 am

Ridiculous general member wait times right now (corona virus?). Called last night to apply a mileage upgrade - 40-55 minute wait. Got my call back and was immediately transferred to a department that wasn't open (business contract booking). Called back again, got a 50-65 minute estimate. Got my call back and they couldn't do anything because it was a contract booking. Called the correct department this morning, got a 40-55 minute estimate, though call back came faster (maybe 20 minutes), but took a ridiculous amount of time to actually process the upgrade. First, Business contract desk had to contact AAdvantage which took a while. AAdvantage needed the rate desk which took a while. Guy at AAdvantage desk was really slow to apply an upgrade which I knew had C space available. He also tried to charge me a $75 expedite fee which I had to inform him was gone as of 1/15.... :rolleyes: Overall took 16 minutes on the last call to apply the danged upgrade. Just sad

spongenotbob Feb 9, 2020 10:44 am

Just now, after successfully navigating the menu tree (trying to clean up after an AA schedule change):

"The department you have called is experiencing high call volume. We appreciate your patience, please try your call again later. <CLICK>."

#goingforgreat

MattFLL Feb 9, 2020 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by spongenotbob (Post 32051573)
Just now, after successfully navigating the menu tree (trying to clean up after an AA schedule change):

"The department you have called is experiencing high call volume. We appreciate your patience, please try your call again later. <CLICK>."

#goingforgreat

Same thing, I was in F on a 777 transcon LAX-MIA. I woke up this morning and noticed I was rebooked on an A321 at a horrible time (no email, I just happened to check). I called and navigated the IVR and finally got a message “The department you have called is experiencing high call volume. We appreciate your patience.” I thought the system was about to offer a callback but then said “please try your call again later.” And HUNG UP on me. 3 times today. I’ve spent the afternoon wishing that everyone who works at AA gets diarrhea for a month.

gottaluvNW Mar 16, 2020 4:14 am

Shortest wait time for AA call centers - which country?

I need to get on a phone call to cancel an AA issued ticket.
Which of the call centers are experiencing a short time before the calls are picked up?
FTer experiences and inputs most welcomed.

GadgetFreak Mar 16, 2020 7:45 am

Originally Posted by gottaluvNW (Post 32192331)
I need to get on a phone call to cancel an AA issued ticket.
Which of the call centers are experiencing a short time before the calls are picked up?
FTer experiences and inputs most welcomed.

I go through in the US. I selected the option to be called back and they did. This was on the Platinum line.

Often1 Mar 16, 2020 7:53 am

AA's callback system works really well. It also prioritizes status just as when you call in and hold.

Focke Mar 16, 2020 7:57 am

Called EXP line yesterday at 6AM, no wait time.

cmtlatitudes Mar 16, 2020 8:39 am

Called regular (no EXP status) line this morning to cancel an Award ticket for this evening. (Australia instituted a 14 day quarantine for all incoming international travelers.) No wait time.

I did take about 40 minutes to complete the transaction, however that was because they cancelled the three Award tickets in conjunction with the entire trip, and tonight's ticket was under Qantas control. The wait time was in reaching Qantas to release ticket due to high call volumes.

Given the circumstances, no wait time for an agent, and 45 minutes to cancel and return miles of three Award tickets (with no fees), was a phenomenal AA response. And the agent could not have been more pleasant and professional, even coming back several times on the line to let me know they hadn't forgotten about me and were still on hold with Qantas.

AA Grade for call: A+

kabroui Mar 16, 2020 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Focke (Post 32192948)
Called EXP line yesterday at 6AM, no wait time.

Same here this morning. My August trip to Asia gone because of no more LAX-HKG-LAX. Agent was on the line in about 30 seconds, cancelled the trip, put me in for a refund. Said it might take a few days for the refund to hit my cc, or it might take 7-10 days, or it might take a little longer depending on how swamped the system is. She was done with it in about a minute. Efficient and very pleasant service from AA.

She said the calls were slowing down, but was expecting another deluge when/if domestic flights starting getting the axe.

anabolism Mar 16, 2020 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by kabroui (Post 32193659)
My August trip to Asia gone because of no more LAX-HKG-LAX. Agent was on the line in about 30 seconds, cancelled the trip, put me in for a refund.

Couldn't you have been rebooked onto CX?

allset2travel Mar 16, 2020 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by kabroui (Post 32193659)
Same here this morning. My August trip to Asia gone because of no more LAX-HKG-LAX. ........

I must have not been keeping up to date. Has AA cancelled flights out to August already?

damon88 Mar 17, 2020 1:12 am

Tried to call 4 or 5 times mid day only to have the computer ultimately tell me that they were too busy and to try back later.

Decided to try calling at 9:30 pm Pacific and got the option to have a call back around 2 hours later. It took 2 1/2 hours but I did receive a call at midnight.

And because I waited until they made an involuntary schedule change I’m getting a full refund (over 2K)

So wait if you can and don’t give up.