Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Long call wait / delay / hold times for AA phone lines (master thread)

Old Feb 11, 2015, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA operates non-status, Gold, Platinum and Platinum Pro combined call center as well as Executive Platinum, Concierge Key dedicated call centers.

Read on for alternatives

There can be several causes of lengthy call answering, among them irregular or off schedule operations (OSO / IROPS) caused by weather.

● Call wait times extend as OSO develop - storms, etc. particularly affecting hubs, which produce knock-on effects that may persist a day or two.

● You can see current AA travel policies: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform...avelAlerts.jsp

● You can always check FlightStats current North America airport delays, for example, to see how things are - here.

● For other useful links, tools etc. see the wiki for AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, delay, cancelation etc. resources (master thread).

● Try using the AA Twitter team: @AmericanAir can help. Send them a request they follow you so you can send them DM (Direct Messages), then you can send them your AAdvantage number and EP status,which they can add to their profile on you. Then you can DM them privately with your PNR etc. (You must have a Twitter account.) This can be useful and rapid.

● At times like these AA may open their OSO (Off-Schedule Operations) desk to help inconvenienced travelers. 800-446-7834 is the number, and the desk is only staffed during severe OSO. (Please call only if your travel is disrupted, of course.)

● Others have called 1.800.222.2377 (web services) and had shorter response times.

● If you speak Castilian Spanish, Chinese Mandarin, Japanese or use a TDD, you may get faster attention; see numbers below.

● You can try calling non-USA numbers, listed here:

● bchandler42 reports "During weather events, the elite line will have the option to press 1 for the callback. I use that, longest I've ever waited was about 40 minutes which was accurate with the expected time it gave me."

● giblet called Thailand using Skype (2.3 cents a minute).

● There is one call-handling nexus, with prioritized lines for Gold, Platinum and Platinum Pro status holders, and separate Executive Platinum and Concierge Key "desks". Gold, Platinum and Platinum Pro callers are prioritized to be answered by the same agents that respond to non-status customers.

Code:
Telephone numbers for speakers of Castilian Spanish, Chinese Mandarin, Japanese:

English (Inglés)
1-800-433-7300
7 days a week

Japanese 1-800-237-0027
6:00 a.m. - 12:00 a.m. CT 7 days a week

Mandarin Chinese 1-800-492-8095
8:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. CT Mon - Fri
8:00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m. CT Sat and Sun

Spanish 1-800-633-3711 7 días a la semana

TDD 1-800-543-1586
(for hearing impaired or deaf people /
para personas con discapacidad auditiva o del habla)
Link to archived previous posts in ARCHIVE: Long wait / delay / hold times for AA phone lines (2014) [/FONT]

"Transplanted from another post, for those affected overseas.

So many ways of calling AA directly; I'd try:

AT&T.
Smartphones that will automatically switch to using Internet for calls.
Skype 2 cents per minute), Google Hangouts or other VOIP services, including WiFi or Internet.

English 800-433-7300 24 hours, Daily

Japan +81 03-4333-7675

If you are calling from outside the U.S. or Canada, you may reach U.S. Reservations by using the following procedures. (Please note that the call is not toll free.)
  • Access the website http://www.business.att.com/bt/access.jsp. The site lists eligible countries and phone numbers.
  • Dial the AT&T access number provided on the website (it is different for each country).
  • An AT&T operator or English language voice prompt will ask for the telephone number you are calling. Dial 800-433-7300 for all American Airlines departments (except AAdvantage) or dial 800-882-8880 for the AAdvantage department.
  • After the tone, enter your regular AT&T Calling Card number (not the international number). You may also use the AT&T Corporate Calling card and many other U.S. local phone company cards. MasterCard, Visa, American Express, Discover/Novus or Diners Club cards can be used from many countries to place calls back to the U.S.
  • For assistance, press zero or stay on the line for an AT&T operator.
Also:

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I'm currently in BKK, and needed to talk to AA about my rezzy. I didn't want the local number which would be answered in who-knows-where, I wanted a direct US number. Looked around both AA.com and FT (which is how I found this thread). Found nothing particularly helpful or which worked. The back of my EXP card has only an 800 number for the U.S., no local DFW area number.

Eventually, I just dialed +1-800-xxx-xxxx, the regular 800 number on the back of my EXP card, the same way I dial regular, non-800 numbers from abroad. Voila!!! I was connected with the EXP desk, just as if I were in the U.S.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

There are several ways to contact AA's U.S. numbers by telephone from outside the U.S. & Canada:

1) Those with Skype, Google Hangouts or other VOIP internet phone providers may be able to dial various AA 800 numbers directly toll free. Direct dialing an 800 number from a landline or mobile phone overseas may or may not work, and will not be toll free.

2) Use AT&T World Traveler Service to access AA 800 numbers from overseas. Long distance charges will apply and can be paid using an AT&T Calling Card, AT&T Prepaid Phone Card, credit card, or via collect call. AAdvantage elite customers (GLD, PLT, EXP) can dial their elite 800 number using this service and AT&T's systems will recognize these numbers and put the call through without asking for a payment method.

3) Call the AMR Headquarters number at 1-817-963-1234 from any telephone. Either an operator or the IVR system can then connect you with the appropriate department.

In addition, AA provides local numbers in many countries here: Worldwide Reservations Phone Numbers

See also the AA Wiki for additional information: Contacting American Airlines

This thread was extracted from an outdated 2002 thread, and merged with recent posts on this topic.

dstan
AA Forum Co-Moderator
and

Link to USA airport delays (FlightAware)

Link to FlightAware “Misery Map” (graphic representation of troubles on a USA map)

Link to AA cancelled flights today (FlightAware)

Link to cancelled flights (today, to two days out - FlightAware)

Link to FT Original Routing Credit thread in cases of involuntary reroute

Link to archive of this thread, posts 2015-2019

Print Wikipost

Long call wait / delay / hold times for AA phone lines (master thread)

Old Mar 8, 2021, 6:14 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Last night (March 7) took about an hour and 30 min. for a call back. I wanted to use a flight credit to purchase the ticket. Got a call back, once confirmed who I am by pressing "1," then in a minute or so I was connected but an AAgent said "This is America Airlines..., I need to connect you with ExPlt agent." I was put on a hold again. I am PltPro, not ExPlt...? Another hold lasted about 10 min., listing to the music. Then finally I was connected to the AAgent.

Wish can apply flight credit online, not have to call an AAgent especially if wait is this long. With change fee waived and last year a lot of cancellations/schedule changes is it possible that there are a lot of people with flight credits, and we all have to call AAgents to use it because we cannot do that at AA.com?
Old Mar 8, 2021, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Last night (March 7) took about an hour and 30 min. for a call back. I wanted to use a flight credit to purchase the ticket. Got a call back, once confirmed who I am by pressing "1," then in a minute or so I was connected but an AAgent said "This is America Airlines..., I need to connect you with ExPlt agent." I was put on a hold again. I am PltPro, not ExPlt...? Another hold lasted about 10 min., listing to the music. Then finally I was connected to the AAgent.

Wish can apply flight credit online, not have to call an AAgent especially if wait is this long. With change fee waived and last year a lot of cancellations/schedule changes is it possible that there are a lot of people with flight credits, and we all have to call AAgents to use it because we cannot do that at AA.com?
I suspect these flight credits are one of the causes for the longer hold times. I find it odd then when I book a reservations, it has an option to use a flight credit, but whenever I add the ticket number of the flight credit, in the space provided for that option, it gets rejected. If they would fix that, it would be great. I have had no issues with the evouchers when I credit those, but flight credits have never worked for me online, and the last time I called one in the agent tried to book me on the currently available fare, even though I had told her I had a booking on hold.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I would never wait more than 5 minutes for AA. Send them a PM at twitter. They will take care of it.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight
I suspect these flight credits are one of the causes for the longer hold times. I find it odd then when I book a reservations, it has an option to use a flight credit, but whenever I add the ticket number of the flight credit, in the space provided for that option, it gets rejected. If they would fix that, it would be great. I have had no issues with the evouchers when I credit those, but flight credits have never worked for me online, and the last time I called one in the agent tried to book me on the currently available fare, even though I had told her I had a booking on hold.
I have the same experience when trying to book a reservation online and providing a flight credit. Agreed, wish that they would fix this so it could be done without a phone call to AA. And yes, when you call online if you have an "On Hold" booking reference the record locator, otherwise they will try to charge you the current fare.

I am Gold (not sure if that matters) and called just yesterday (3/7) around 815pm MT. Never was given the option of a call-back. Just sat with my phone on mute until someone picked up. They tried to book me using the current fare (which was higher than my held fare). They had to put me on another hold so that they could speak to the ticketing team. Came back on and was able to use my "On Hold" fare instead. All in all, the entire call (including hold times) was only 36 minutes.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 11:14 am

Programs: AA Exp, Admirals Club
Just called. Was given a call back time of 14-19 minutes. PPro. I didn’t think that was bad.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Still Extremely Long Hold Time

It is the second week that the hold times on the res line is close to one hour. This has been going on far too long. It is NOT just bad weather, it is AA saving money by not having agents working. It is pathetic.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 1:12 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by TonyBurr
It is the second week that the hold times on the res line is close to one hour. This has been going on far too long. It is NOT just bad weather, it is AA saving money by not having agents working. It is pathetic.
before I became EXP I remember this being an issue long before the pandemic!
jhalapin likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 1:28 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
For this week I think the excuse is Spring Break. Airlines are very busy this week
Old Mar 21, 2021, 4:18 am

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Originally Posted by shd9
For this week I think the excuse is Spring Break. Airlines are very busy this week
And if that is true, what will next week's 'excuse" be? If Spring Break is almost over, why would it cause they to be so busy? Their flights are already booked, are the students all rebooking and changing flights?
Old Mar 21, 2021, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by TonyBurr
And if that is true, what will next week's 'excuse" be? If Spring Break is almost over, why would it cause they to be so busy? Their flights are already booked, are the students all rebooking and changing flights?
Yes. And Easter is the excuse for next week.

Notwithstanding the long hold times, I have found the callback feature very useful. I just call early in the evening.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 7:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
The hold times are not exclusive to AA. I had to call DL three times in the past 14 days, and the shortest hold time was three hours, the longest over five hours.

In my case, I drove from my office to the airport to change a DL flight, while waiting for a DL agent on the phone. Found driving to the airport 45 minutes away, parking, and going to the counter at a major DL hub quicker than making a change on the phone.

Have zero idea why the hold times on AA and DL are so long (as a AA EXP I have almost zero hold time). I fly 8-12 segments weekly, and every flight is full, and full with non business travelers. Maybe the stimulus checks are triggering lots of ticket purchases... who knows, but it is not like nine months ago when the flights were often under capacity. Maybe unfamiliar travelers take much longer time per call with a AA customer service rep- could be part of the backlog.....

Last edited by GunsOfNavarone; Mar 21, 2021 at 8:36 am
Old Mar 21, 2021, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
OP what is it you are trying to accomplish ? PM aa on Twitter. Response time a few minutes.
onanisland and btonkid12345 like this.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 8:49 am

Programs: AA Exp, Admirals Club
OP, do you have any AA status?

I got a call back within twenty minutes last week. But I’m PlatPro.

I agree with the Twitter suggestion. They’ve always been great.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 10:55 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by GunsOfNavarone
Have zero idea why the hold times on AA and DL are so long (as a AA EXP I have almost zero hold time). I fly 8-12 segments weekly, and every flight is full, and full with non business travelers. Maybe the stimulus checks are triggering lots of ticket purchases... who knows, but it is not like nine months ago when the flights were often under capacity. Maybe unfamiliar travelers take much longer time per call with a AA customer service rep- could be part of the backlog.....
Mainly because of exactly the visual fallacy that you stated...flights are full.

The only way they are accomplishing this is by constantly assessing capacity and upgauging/downgauging/cancelling, to preserve cash, as the flight date nears and they reconfigure.

And it’s not so easy because one cancellation might affect turnarounds etc, so there is a domino effect on other reservations.

Combine that with inexperienced travelers during (relatively) high demand times and you get the current situation. This is why people whose have a misconnect or cancellation can’t get flights for days after their originally scheduled flight right now...they’ve pared down so much that there isn’t even a modicum of excess capacity on DOD etc...
onanisland likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP
on the other hand

I had to call due to a schedule change to an upcoming reservation. I haven't been elite with AA for a few years now. I called around 7:15pm (PDT) this past Thursday and was told the hold time was 15-20 minutes. I selected the callback option and was connected with an agent within the 15-20 minutes. The agent was able to give me what I wanted within 10-20 minutes.

I'm sure that the next time I have to call in I won't be so lucky...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.