Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Long call wait / delay / hold times for AA phone lines (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 11, 2015, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA operates non-status, Gold, Platinum and Platinum Pro combined call center as well as Executive Platinum, Concierge Key dedicated call centers.

Read on for alternatives

There can be several causes of lengthy call answering, among them irregular or off schedule operations (OSO / IROPS) caused by weather.

● Call wait times extend as OSO develop - storms, etc. particularly affecting hubs, which produce knock-on effects that may persist a day or two.

● You can see current AA travel policies: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform...avelAlerts.jsp

● You can always check FlightStats current North America airport delays, for example, to see how things are - here.

● For other useful links, tools etc. see the wiki for AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, delay, cancelation etc. resources (master thread).

● Try using the AA Twitter team: @AmericanAir can help. Send them a request they follow you so you can send them DM (Direct Messages), then you can send them your AAdvantage number and EP status,which they can add to their profile on you. Then you can DM them privately with your PNR etc. (You must have a Twitter account.) This can be useful and rapid.

● At times like these AA may open their OSO (Off-Schedule Operations) desk to help inconvenienced travelers. 800-446-7834 is the number, and the desk is only staffed during severe OSO. (Please call only if your travel is disrupted, of course.)

● Others have called 1.800.222.2377 (web services) and had shorter response times.

● If you speak Castilian Spanish, Chinese Mandarin, Japanese or use a TDD, you may get faster attention; see numbers below.

● You can try calling non-USA numbers, listed here:

● bchandler42 reports "During weather events, the elite line will have the option to press 1 for the callback. I use that, longest I've ever waited was about 40 minutes which was accurate with the expected time it gave me."

● giblet called Thailand using Skype (2.3 cents a minute).

● There is one call-handling nexus, with prioritized lines for Gold, Platinum and Platinum Pro status holders, and separate Executive Platinum and Concierge Key "desks". Gold, Platinum and Platinum Pro callers are prioritized to be answered by the same agents that respond to non-status customers.

Code:
Telephone numbers for speakers of Castilian Spanish, Chinese Mandarin, Japanese:

English (Inglés)
1-800-433-7300
7 days a week

Japanese 1-800-237-0027
6:00 a.m. - 12:00 a.m. CT 7 days a week

Mandarin Chinese 1-800-492-8095
8:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. CT Mon - Fri
8:00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m. CT Sat and Sun

Spanish 1-800-633-3711 7 días a la semana

TDD 1-800-543-1586
(for hearing impaired or deaf people /
para personas con discapacidad auditiva o del habla)
Link to archived previous posts in ARCHIVE: Long wait / delay / hold times for AA phone lines (2014) [/FONT]

"Transplanted from another post, for those affected overseas.

So many ways of calling AA directly; I'd try:

AT&T.
Smartphones that will automatically switch to using Internet for calls.
Skype 2 cents per minute), Google Hangouts or other VOIP services, including WiFi or Internet.

English 800-433-7300 24 hours, Daily

Japan +81 03-4333-7675

If you are calling from outside the U.S. or Canada, you may reach U.S. Reservations by using the following procedures. (Please note that the call is not toll free.)
  • Access the website http://www.business.att.com/bt/access.jsp. The site lists eligible countries and phone numbers.
  • Dial the AT&T access number provided on the website (it is different for each country).
  • An AT&T operator or English language voice prompt will ask for the telephone number you are calling. Dial 800-433-7300 for all American Airlines departments (except AAdvantage) or dial 800-882-8880 for the AAdvantage department.
  • After the tone, enter your regular AT&T Calling Card number (not the international number). You may also use the AT&T Corporate Calling card and many other U.S. local phone company cards. MasterCard, Visa, American Express, Discover/Novus or Diners Club cards can be used from many countries to place calls back to the U.S.
  • For assistance, press zero or stay on the line for an AT&T operator.
Also:

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I'm currently in BKK, and needed to talk to AA about my rezzy. I didn't want the local number which would be answered in who-knows-where, I wanted a direct US number. Looked around both AA.com and FT (which is how I found this thread). Found nothing particularly helpful or which worked. The back of my EXP card has only an 800 number for the U.S., no local DFW area number.

Eventually, I just dialed +1-800-xxx-xxxx, the regular 800 number on the back of my EXP card, the same way I dial regular, non-800 numbers from abroad. Voila!!! I was connected with the EXP desk, just as if I were in the U.S.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

There are several ways to contact AA's U.S. numbers by telephone from outside the U.S. & Canada:

1) Those with Skype, Google Hangouts or other VOIP internet phone providers may be able to dial various AA 800 numbers directly toll free. Direct dialing an 800 number from a landline or mobile phone overseas may or may not work, and will not be toll free.

2) Use AT&T World Traveler Service to access AA 800 numbers from overseas. Long distance charges will apply and can be paid using an AT&T Calling Card, AT&T Prepaid Phone Card, credit card, or via collect call. AAdvantage elite customers (GLD, PLT, EXP) can dial their elite 800 number using this service and AT&T's systems will recognize these numbers and put the call through without asking for a payment method.

3) Call the AMR Headquarters number at 1-817-963-1234 from any telephone. Either an operator or the IVR system can then connect you with the appropriate department.

In addition, AA provides local numbers in many countries here: Worldwide Reservations Phone Numbers

See also the AA Wiki for additional information: Contacting American Airlines

This thread was extracted from an outdated 2002 thread, and merged with recent posts on this topic.

dstan
AA Forum Co-Moderator
and

Link to USA airport delays (FlightAware)

Link to FlightAware “Misery Map” (graphic representation of troubles on a USA map)

Link to AA cancelled flights today (FlightAware)

Link to cancelled flights (today, to two days out - FlightAware)

Link to FT Original Routing Credit thread in cases of involuntary reroute

Link to archive of this thread, posts 2015-2019

Print Wikipost

Long call wait / delay / hold times for AA phone lines (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2021, 11:36 am

Programs: ba silver
I find them very inconsistent. I don't know why they choose not to staff properly. The airlines have received plenty of government money. IMO this government aid should have been contigent on, amongst other things, answering calls in 30 mins maximum. ( That and making certain they have enough pilots to operate the flights they take money for).

What bothers me the most about AA is that as a Canadian I can't change an international itinerary online. The same flights can be changed online if bought through BA. I can't even change a simple flight from Canada to the US either. If Air Canada has the technology to change flights between Canada and the US I don't know why American chooses not to. It's s very simple to me: answer calls without putting me on hold or let me do it online. AA chooses to do neither and it makes wonder why governments bailed out the airlines without conditions.
RNE likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 11:53 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Yeah, this is now absurd. I am sick of hearing businesses that took tons of money tell me they are short staffed. I have for the second day in a row needed to wait over an hour to make what is a very basic change but one that AAs weak online tools cannot accomplish.

This is what Delta faced and they heaped benefits on frequent fliers as an apology. AA is going to have to do something like that soon if they keep this up.
Dallas49er and cmd320 like this.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by stephem
Yeah, this is now absurd. I am sick of hearing businesses that took tons of money tell me they are short staffed. I have for the second day in a row needed to wait over an hour to make what is a very basic change but one that AAs weak online tools cannot accomplish.

This is what Delta faced and they heaped benefits on frequent fliers as an apology. AA is going to have to do something like that soon if they keep this up.
Agreed this is just unacceptable, borderline fraudulent.

That said, I've seen zero benefits on the DL side of things as an apology. Only continued terrible service and incompetence.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA-LT Gold 1.2MM ,DL, Marriott LT TITANIUM; HH Gold, AMEX PLT
Over 4 hours to call me back. I cannot believe this. This means they will call me back at 2 am.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 8:26 pm

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic
Originally Posted by tbrein
Over 4 hours to call me back. I cannot believe this. This means they will call me back at 2 am.
Not exactly. It means they will call you then, but once you answer, you'll be on hold for (in my experience) what can be up to 2 more hours!
Old Aug 2, 2021, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by rrz518
Not exactly. It means they will call you then, but once you answer, you'll be on hold for (in my experience) what can be up to 2 more hours!
Never had that happen (and I've used the callback option many, many times). The longest wait has been a minute or two, if that.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 11:44 pm

Programs: AA-LT Gold 1.2MM ,DL, Marriott LT TITANIUM; HH Gold, AMEX PLT
Originally Posted by rrz518
Received the call back and was connected with an agent in three minutes.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 2:15 am

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by tbrein
Hey, I tried calling at 12:30 am Pacific time on a weekday, figuring that it might not be so bad. Wrong-o! The estimated hold time was "over 4 hours". Been on hold about 30 minutes now and ready to bail. Uggh.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 10:09 am

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Hey, I tried calling at 12:30 am Pacific time on a weekday, figuring that it might not be so bad. Wrong-o! The estimated hold time was "over 4 hours". Been on hold about 30 minutes now and ready to bail. Uggh.
So my flight was canceled, and they sent me email saying alternate flights "could not be booked" and I had to call them. Saw the email around 11 pm PT Monday night. I waited until 12:30 am Monday night and called. Recording said hold time would be "more than 4 hours". I held for about 45 minutes, but I had already been on hold with them for over 2 hours last week, and the hold music was pure torture. So I bailed. I tried calling other numbers listed in the wiki. All just dumped me into the same 4+ hour hold queue.

Then I tried calling the Spanish language line. My Spanish is a bit rusty but I understood enough of the automated prompts to respond to those (they were just the same questions asked in English that I had heard a dozen times recently, but in Spanish). I made my way through the phone tree and to my shock, a live human came right on the line --in Spanish, of course. I nearly choked but managed to spit out "Hola y gracias. Podemos hablar inglés, por favor?" (Hi, and thanks. Can we please speak English?)

Agent relplied "Sure, no problem, how can I help you
?" And we took it from there.

Ultimately, he was not able to rebook us on another flight (we had an award flight I booked many months ago, travel is now in just a few weeks, and British Airways canceled the last leg of the trip -- I gave him alternate flights that had open seats but not open award seats; I asked if they could open up seats for us on those flights given the situation and he said no....so we're kind of hosed). At least I didn't have to wait on hold for over 4 hours to get that news.

So, if you can manage the basics of getting through the voice prompts in Spanish (or just keep hitting the Zero button), try the Spanish language line (1-800-633-3711).

Buena suerte!
estnet likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
So my flight was canceled, and they sent me email saying alternate flights "could not be booked" and I had to call them. Saw the email around 11 pm PT Monday night. I waited until 12:30 am Monday night and called. Recording said hold time would be "more than 4 hours". I held for about 45 minutes, but I had already been on hold with them for over 2 hours last week, and the hold music was pure torture. So I bailed. I tried calling other numbers listed in the wiki. All just dumped me into the same 4+ hour hold queue.

Then I tried calling the Spanish language line. My Spanish is a bit rusty but I understood enough of the automated prompts to respond to those (they were just the same questions asked in English that I had heard a dozen times recently, but in Spanish). I made my way through the phone tree and to my shock, a live human came right on the line --in Spanish, of course. I nearly choked but managed to spit out "Hola y gracias. Podemos hablar inglés, por favor?" (Hi, and thanks. Can we please speak English?)

Agent relplied "Sure, no problem, how can I help you
?" And we took it from there.

Ultimately, he was not able to rebook us on another flight (we had an award flight I booked many months ago, travel is now in just a few weeks, and British Airways canceled the last leg of the trip -- I gave him alternate flights that had open seats but not open award seats; I asked if they could open up seats for us on those flights given the situation and he said no....so we're kind of hosed). At least I didn't have to wait on hold for over 4 hours to get that news.

So, if you can manage the basics of getting through the voice prompts in Spanish (or just keep hitting the Zero button), try the Spanish language line (1-800-633-3711).

Buena suerte!
Even if you can't manage the basics of getting though the voice menu, it will eventually give up and just send you on to someone. Nice data point, time to start using that when the other line is backed up.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 12:59 pm

Programs: ba silver
What I don't understand is why they lie to us when they say that you can change flights online and then when I give my record locator I get told that there was at least a four hour hold. Is this an agreement with the unions to maintain jobs?

This is one of many reasons why government should have insisted on higher service standards from these airline executives who are very good at apologies, but short on action, before giving them one cent of taxpayer money.

Perhaps having to give back some of that free cash if they don't answer calls in thirty minuteswould make them get their act together.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 1:37 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
called on 8/2 at 11:02 am, quoted call back in more than 4 hours, eventually received the call at 5:52 pm, almost SEVEN hours later. No status with AA. Feels like I'm calling Delta.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
A non-status buddy that I'm traveling with just got his queued call-back from AA @ 4 hr mark as approximated by the AI. I just called in to apply SWU to his flight at was pegged @ 2 hrs to expect a call-back. Good Grief!!
Old Aug 14, 2021, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Hold Time is a Disgrace

For at least one year we have heard the AA lie " hold time is longer than usual". When this is the way it is for a year that is not "longer than usual" that is the norm. Right now it is over 2 hours on a late Saturday night. Why doesn't Parker just stop lying and say, " I am cutting down on agents to save money for my bonus". All lies!
Old Aug 14, 2021, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Every number I ever call, their menu options have changed recently and their hold times are longer than usual.

At least as an EXP I haven't waited long for a call back... the other day it was supposed to be 4 minutes and the call actually came back immediately.

I tried calling JetBlue... got hold times of 190 and 289 minutes with no option to get a call back... later got 54 minutes with a call back, thankfully...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.