Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How to call AA 800 / toll free numbers from overseas (consolidated)

Old Sep 6, 09, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT

2009 Update: I'm currently in BKK, and needed to talk to AA about my rezzy. I didn't want the local number which would be answered in who-knows-where, I wanted a direct US number. Looked around both AA.com and FT (which is how I found this thread). Found nothing particularly helpful or which worked. The back of my EXP card has only an 800 number for the U.S., no local DFW area number.

Eventually, I just dialed +1-800-xxx-xxxx, the regular 800 number on the back of my EXP card, the same way I dial regular, non-800 numbers from abroad. Voila!!! I was connected with the EXP desk, just as if I were in the U.S.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

There are several ways to contact AA's U.S. numbers by telephone from outside the U.S. & Canada:

1) Those with Skype or other internet phone providers may be able to dial various AA 800 numbers directly toll free. Direct dialing an 800 number from a landline or mobile phone overseas may or may not work, and will not be toll free.

2) Use AT&T World Traveler Service to access AA 800 numbers from overseas. Long distance charges will apply and can be paid using an AT&T Calling Card, AT&T Prepaid Phone Card, credit card, or via collect call. AAdvantage elite customers (GLD, PLT, EXP) can dial their elite 800 number using this service and AT&T's systems will recognize these numbers and put the call through without asking for a payment method.

3) Call the AMR Headquarters number at 1-817-963-1234 from any telephone. Either an operator or the IVR system can then connect you with the appropriate department.

In addition, AA provides local numbers in many countries here: Worldwide Reservations Phone Numbers

See also the AA Wiki for additional information: Contacting American Airlines

This thread was extracted from an outdated 2002 thread, and merged with recent posts on this topic.

dstan
AA Forum Co-Moderator

Last edited by dstan; Jun 22, 11 at 6:57 pm Reason: updated info
Old Sep 6, 09, 8:15 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

How did you place the call (e.g., local country landline, mobile, phone card or USADirect) and was the call toll or toll-free?
Old Sep 6, 09, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
Best way (and AA sanctioned) to reach your elite hotline from overseas:

http://www.aa.com/attassist

Or, just use Skype if you are in a place with WiFi.
Old Sep 6, 09, 9:18 pm

Programs: Avis Chairman's, IHG Au, Hyatt Discoverist (Visa,) Honors Au (Amex), Marriott Life Au
When I was in Bangkok in 2004, I used a phone card from a pay phone to try to call AA, but the buttons were not understood by AA's recorded-voice system. So I went to a drugstore which offered overseas calling for 20--30 baht per minute from their private phone. The lady said she got a recording saying, 'This call can't be called from Thailand,' but in English it said, 'This call is not free. You must pay normal price to USA.' So she gave me the phone.
Old Sep 6, 09, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hvd View Post
In my experience, even using an AT&T calling card or my cell phone, 800 and 880 numbers are not reachable, absolutely, from Italy.
I am in Italy several times per year and can confirm that US toll-free #, specifically AA's, are dialable from a phone (but you have to listen in to a recording telling you have to pay normal international rates for them, i.e. they're not toll-free from Italy) and are also reachable through AT&T's World Traveler Service, at 800 172 444. I've never dialed them direct from cellphone, but I don't see why they wouldn't work since they're dialable from a landline.
Old Sep 6, 09, 9:53 pm

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
I'm late to the thread, but I've done this a couple times in the past:

Call AA's corporate HQ (their # is buried on the website)

You will be given an option for reservations prior to be being connected to the switchboard. Reservations can also xfer you to AAdvantage.

These days, I just direct dial via VoIP server / Asterisk server with X-Lite via laptop.
Old Sep 7, 09, 5:34 am

Programs: AA Plt Pro/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by ESpen36 View Post
(and AA sanctioned)
And thereby avoiding a notation on your permanent record.
Old Sep 7, 09, 7:49 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, *Gold on UA, FlyingBlue Gold (matched), SPG Plat
Originally Posted by ESpen36 View Post
Or, just use Skype if you are in a place with WiFi.
Just want to give a big ^ to this method. SkypeOut offers free calls to 1-800 numbers from anywhere in the world, even if you do not have credit in your account!
Old Sep 8, 09, 1:00 am

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, AS MVP Gold. Happily ex-1K, ex-Exec Plat, ex-DL Diamond for 5 years each
Originally Posted by IncaFlyer View Post
SkypeOut offers free calls to 1-800 numbers from anywhere in the world, even if you do not have credit in your account!
^ ^ ^

This is what I do while traveling. Works like an absolute charm for all US-based customer service 800 numbers.
Old Sep 8, 09, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by hillrider View Post
I am in Italy several times per year and can confirm that US toll-free #, specifically AA's, are dialable from a phone (but you have to listen in to a recording telling you have to pay normal international rates for them, i.e. they're not toll-free from Italy) and are also reachable through AT&T's World Traveler Service, at 800 172 444. I've never dialed them direct from cellphone, but I don't see why they wouldn't work since they're dialable from a landline.
You can reach the AA #s from Italy using an Italian cell phone - you get the same recording, but the call goes through
Old Sep 8, 09, 9:36 am

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
All you need do is: dial the local toll-free access number for AT&T and then enter 1-800-843-6200. The call goes through without charge -- no need to enter a credit card or calling card number. The rub is that in some countries the AT&T access number will not work from a cell phone, in others it will not work from a public phone, or both.
Old Sep 24, 09, 1:02 pm

post moved

Last edited by Argen_Tina; Sep 25, 09 at 2:13 am
Old Sep 24, 09, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA (current EXP, occasional PLT, 0MM); UA; DL
Originally Posted by Argen_Tina View Post
I can't call the AA 800 number, because it
can only be dialed from US phones....

Does AA have a non-800 number for
signing up for the platinum challenge? ...
From AA.com:

"Outside the U.S. and Canada please visit our Worldwide Reservations Phone Numbers page to contact the AAdvantage Customer Service representative in your area.
[Argentina: Buenos Aires 4318-1111 / 1110,
Outside Buenos Aires 011-4318-1111 / 1110]

"From outside the U.S. and Canada you may also call 1-817-799-2500
7:30 a.m. - 9:00 p.m. (CT) Monday - Friday
7:30 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. (CT) Saturday
10:30 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. (CT) Sunday"

The 817 number should certainly work, but if you don't feel like paying, first try emailing the CS from the page http://www.aa.com/aa/contactAA/viewA...eFormAccess.do

Good luck.
Old Sep 24, 09, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by aktchi View Post
From AA.com:

"From outside the U.S. and Canada you may also call 1-817-799-2500
7:30 a.m. - 9:00 p.m. (CT) Monday - Friday
7:30 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. (CT) Saturday
10:30 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. (CT) Sunday"

The 817 number should certainly work, but if you don't feel like paying, first try emailing the CS from the page http://www.aa.com/aa/contactAA/viewA...eFormAccess.do

Good luck.
The 817 number seems to do through directly to Customer Service, not AAdvantage Reservations, as stated.
Old Sep 24, 09, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by dayone View Post
How did you place the call (e.g., local country landline, mobile, phone card or USADirect) and was the call toll or toll-free?
Used my cell phone, AT&T US service. Just turned it on, and it connected to THAI GSM. I can hardly wait to see what it cost, though. I'm not expecting free, by any means.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: