Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG Starting Summer 2014 [route discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 16, 2013, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Route and General Discussion new DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG Routes

ATTENTION! Before you post...
This thread is for the general discussion about the new DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG routes.

Discussion about upgrades on the DFW-HKG flights are here: 77W DFW-HKG AA 137 / 138 Upgrade & Waitlist Discussion
Discussion and questions about flight experiences on the DFW-HKG flights can be found here: 77W DFW-HKG AA 137 / 138 flight experiences, questions

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

"In summer 2014, we plan to introduce new nonstop service between Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) and Hong Kong (HKG), a first for any U.S. carrier. Plus, enjoy a world-class travel experience to Hong Kong on our brand new Boeing 777-300ER aircraft. Check back soon for booking details."

First DFW-HKG flight on June 11, 2014. First HKG-DFW flight on June 13, 2014.

Schedule will be as under, subject to approvals (source airlineroute.net):
● AA137 Departing Dallas 12:45PM arriving Hong Kong 6:05PM (+1 day) [duration 16:20]
● AA138 Departing Hong Kong 1:30PM arriving Dallas 4:30PM [duration 16:00]
● 8,111 AAdvantage miles in each direction

"We plan to introduce new service between Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) and Shanghai (PVG), with flights beginning [on 11 June 2014]. We're excited to be the first U.S. carrier to offer this convenient nonstop route, which will complement existing service between our Chicago (ORD) and Los Angeles (LAX) hubs and Shanghai. Booking details available soon." Date as per 17 Oct 2013 filing with USDOT.

Schedule will be:
● Departing Dallas 10:55AM arriving Shanghai 2:55PM (+1 day) [duration 15:00]
● Departing Shanghai 4:50PM arriving Dallas 6:10PM [duration 14:20]
● 7,351 AAdvantage miles in each direction

In addition to these new routes, we currently offer you even more convenient nonstop flights to top destinations in Asia, including flights between:

Tokyo Narita (NRT) and Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW), Chicago (ORD) and Los Angeles (LAX)
Tokyo Haneda (HND) and New York Kennedy (JFK) (to be dropped Nov 29)
Beijing (PEK) and Chicago (ORD)
Seoul (ICN) and Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW)
Shanghai (PVG) and Chicago (ORD) Los Angeles (LAX) (not mentioned from AA announcement)
Print Wikipost

DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG Starting Summer 2014 [route discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2014, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by idiosyncrasy
Flew AA138 HKG-DFW in Main Cabin yesterday, was probably one of the worst flights I've been on internationally. The flight was packed from front to rear, full of screaming kids and babies for the full 13 hour duration (in MCE and MC).
Damn. My worst fear. I'm wondering is it worth just cancelling our current tickets and rebooking into CX premium economy. J cabin is filling up fast so looks unlikely that we'll get our upgrades. CX PE doesn't look bad at all, may even be better than AA J.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 3:58 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by no1cub17
CX PE doesn't look bad at all, may even be better than AA J.
CX PE is about close to the equivalent of domestic AA J (737 or MD80). Seats are not as wide and legroom is less depending on the plane. CX PE is definitely not better than AA international J. Not even close. Just a friendly reminder that the grass is not always greener...
Old Aug 29, 2014, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA, UA
Damn. My worst fear. I'm wondering is it worth just cancelling our current tickets and rebooking into CX premium economy. J cabin is filling up fast so looks unlikely that we'll get our upgrades. CX PE doesn't look bad at all, may even be better than AA J.
On a flight as long as HKG-DFW, economy will be rough no matter the airline. Cathay Pacific premium economy looks nice, similar to domestic first seats. Just don't expect them to be better than AA J on the 777-300ER.

My take on the seats: AA 77W J > CX PE > AA MCE > standard coach
Old Aug 29, 2014, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
I wanted book a trip to HKG for our wedding anniversary on these flights, but the price difference from AUS to HKG b/w the option we took, and the DFW direct flight was consistently $300-$400 more per person. Oh well, at least we get to stop in NRT and take showers before connecting on CX on the outbound and on the return we have 3 hrs to enjoy the JAL F lounge while connecting..
What does "b/w" mean?
Old Aug 29, 2014, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CX PE doesn't look bad at all, may even be better than AA J.
Premium Economy is nice, but it doesn't hold a candle to any generation of AA business class, not NGBC (AA's current slanted seats) nor the blue recliners that NGBC replaced, nor the wooly mammoth seats of 20+ years ago.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 4:33 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Flew AA138 HKG-DFW in Main Cabin yesterday, was probably one of the worst flights I've been on internationally. The flight was packed from front to rear, full of screaming kids and babies for the full 13 hour duration (in MCE and MC).

<snip>

Get into MCE or go to a city with direct service from CX would be my two cents.
Right. Cathay Pacific's flights are never full and kids and babies are forbidden.

I agree with one thing, the Y pitch at CX is 1" more than at AA; however, it doesn't appear as if their TV monitors tilt in coach.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 4:41 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I did take a few quick photos of the Plaza Premium lounge at HKG today. Yes, I know it's not the Cathay lounge, but I had two guests and AA had previously told me I could bring two guests into Plaza Premium with an AC card. We all checked in together and the agent asked if I had an AC card, which he requested, explaining the lounge situation which I was aware of, and printed out invitations for all three of us for Plaza Premium. One photo here and the rest linked below:

I had some dim sum and chocolate chip cookies. One of the other hot items was a Thai chicken dish. Place was pretty crowded.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884

<snip>

Get into MCE or go to a city with direct service from CX would be my two cents.
Right. Cathay Pacific's flights are never full and kids and babies are forbidden.

I agree with one thing, the Y pitch at CX is 1" more than at AA; however, it doesn't appear as if their TV monitors tilt in coach.
CX's Y food and IFE are far superior to AA IMO. Not gonna avoid crying babies no matter which airline. AA's food in Y is so mediocre that if we're not gonna get upgraded, I'd happily deal with CX.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
I wanted book a trip to HKG for our wedding anniversary on these flights, but the price difference from AUS to HKG b/w the option we took, and the DFW direct flight was consistently $300-$400 more per person. Oh well, at least we get to stop in NRT and take showers before connecting on CX on the outbound and on the return we have 3 hrs to enjoy the JAL F lounge while connecting..
What does "b/w" mean?
Between? No idea, never have seen that on any forum anywhere.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 5:42 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by TWA884

Of course you'll never avoid children on any airline. I found the CX seats far more comfortable and the service was far superior, even if it was just the better looking flight attendants that made the difference . I recall being able to tilt my screen on the CX flight, but you know, memories are a funky thing. I definitely don't recall having to compress my neck and stare down to see the screen though.

Stick with your tickets and go for the experience. Maybe it'll work out, maybe not. Then you'll know for the future whether or not you want to do this again.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA XP, BA G, AS 100K, Hyatt G
I have taken CX PE several times within the past few months and AA138 J just yesterday. While CX PE is decent overall for PE but AA 77W J seat, horizontal flat, is way and above better than CX PE seat. I'd wait for the upgrade. Mine cleared almost 3 days in advance.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
What does "b/w" mean?
Between? No idea, never have seen that on any forum anywhere.
Yes, between, very common shorthand in the IM and SMS world (Instant Messaging and Short Message Service) and other similar communications mediums..
Old Aug 29, 2014, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Having been on CX PE a couple of times times, it's going forward my preferred paid service to Asia.

The hard product isn't quite up to even the worst international J I've flown (of ones flying recently, that's the 3-class 762 on AA); OTOH, it is very closely comparable in room to the domestic F on some of AA's narrow-body domestic flights, and a great deal nicer than even the best MCE exit seats on the 772 (or from a very quick examination, the 77W.)

It can be a heck of a bargain if you don't have SWUs and the cost of AA ticket + copays ends up close to (or higher than) the cost of the CX PE ticket. (Coming from the west coast, it also has the advantage that the late-night departure/early morning arrival is SUPER jetlag-reducing for some of us.

If you can, get the bulkhead row; those have a real (if short) leg rest rather than the footrest coming down from the seat in front like the rest do.

Can't really speak to the in-flight service, as I tend to sleep through the whole flight -- the first time I flew it, I stayed up for the meal service (which has a "business class entree" but otherwise is essentially the same as Y) but it was nothing special and with the 1am-ish departures I've generally eaten long since.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 12:29 am

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
The AA J hard product on this route is the same as CX J...
Old Aug 30, 2014, 1:08 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by frudd38
The AA J hard product on this route is the same as CX J...
Except for the WiFi...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.