Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG Starting Summer 2014 [route discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 16, 2013, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Route and General Discussion new DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG Routes

ATTENTION! Before you post...
This thread is for the general discussion about the new DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG routes.

Discussion about upgrades on the DFW-HKG flights are here: 77W DFW-HKG AA 137 / 138 Upgrade & Waitlist Discussion
Discussion and questions about flight experiences on the DFW-HKG flights can be found here: 77W DFW-HKG AA 137 / 138 flight experiences, questions

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

"In summer 2014, we plan to introduce new nonstop service between Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) and Hong Kong (HKG), a first for any U.S. carrier. Plus, enjoy a world-class travel experience to Hong Kong on our brand new Boeing 777-300ER aircraft. Check back soon for booking details."

First DFW-HKG flight on June 11, 2014. First HKG-DFW flight on June 13, 2014.

Schedule will be as under, subject to approvals (source airlineroute.net):
● AA137 Departing Dallas 12:45PM arriving Hong Kong 6:05PM (+1 day) [duration 16:20]
● AA138 Departing Hong Kong 1:30PM arriving Dallas 4:30PM [duration 16:00]
● 8,111 AAdvantage miles in each direction

"We plan to introduce new service between Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) and Shanghai (PVG), with flights beginning [on 11 June 2014]. We're excited to be the first U.S. carrier to offer this convenient nonstop route, which will complement existing service between our Chicago (ORD) and Los Angeles (LAX) hubs and Shanghai. Booking details available soon." Date as per 17 Oct 2013 filing with USDOT.

Schedule will be:
● Departing Dallas 10:55AM arriving Shanghai 2:55PM (+1 day) [duration 15:00]
● Departing Shanghai 4:50PM arriving Dallas 6:10PM [duration 14:20]
● 7,351 AAdvantage miles in each direction

In addition to these new routes, we currently offer you even more convenient nonstop flights to top destinations in Asia, including flights between:

Tokyo Narita (NRT) and Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW), Chicago (ORD) and Los Angeles (LAX)
Tokyo Haneda (HND) and New York Kennedy (JFK) (to be dropped Nov 29)
Beijing (PEK) and Chicago (ORD)
Seoul (ICN) and Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW)
Shanghai (PVG) and Chicago (ORD) Los Angeles (LAX) (not mentioned from AA announcement)
Print Wikipost

DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG Starting Summer 2014 [route discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2014, 12:11 pm
LTH

Programs: AA EXP, HHonours Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt GP Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by FWAAA
What's got you worried?

Looks like it's J7 D5 I5.
Please pardon my ignorance...but what do D5 and I5 indicate?
Old Aug 13, 2014, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Titanium; Globalist
Time to clear immigration/customs

I'm flying DFW-HKG in J in September. Can those of you who have flown this indicate approximately how long it might be from deplaning to clearing immigration and customs in the evening? I am trying to plan out the rest of the evening so this would be helpful. Thanks.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
Originally Posted by RDUflyer2
I'm flying DFW-HKG in J in September. Can those of you who have flown this indicate approximately how long it might be from deplaning to clearing immigration and customs in the evening? I am trying to plan out the rest of the evening so this would be helpful. Thanks.
I fly this route (US-HKG) and this AA route a couple times. Usually (with checked bags) I'm through C&I within 45 minutes. From there I'm usually downtown within another 30 to 45 min (max). Bags are usually already on the belt by the time I've gotten done with HK Immigration. If you have eChannel you are thru in 5 min. Otherwise 30 min is the longest I've ever waited. They are very efficient at getting you into the country.

I love this flight. It lands around the 5:30/6pm range and I'm usually having a nice dinner in my hotel by 8:30.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 8:37 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Titanium; Globalist
Thanks AAExpDFW for the information on C&I clearing times in HKG. I'll look forward to dinner after arriving at the hotel.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 6:19 pm

Anyone know if you can access the Plaza Premium Lounge in HKG with the Citi Executive AAdvantange card but flying coach with Cathay? Award flight was booked with AA miles.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by thatguy47
Anyone know if you can access the Plaza Premium Lounge in HKG with the Citi Executive AAdvantange card but flying coach with Cathay? Award flight was booked with AA miles.
Nope. The Citi card only deals with Admiral Clubs IIRC, and the Plaza Premium is definitely not related to that.

Edit: I stand corrected, per Ready2Go's comment here.

Last edited by cmn.jcs; Aug 19, 2014 at 11:23 pm Reason: See post
Old Aug 19, 2014, 11:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by thatguy47
I haven't tested this personally, but aa.com says you must be departing on an AA-operated flight: "Must present a boarding pass for same day departing travel on AA operated flight and one of the following: Lounge invitation provided at check-in counter; oneworld Emerald or oneworld Sapphire card; Admirals Club or US Airways Club membership."

The Citi Executive card gives full AC membership, so you'd be good if flying AA in coach. But you are not, so I don't think you'll have free access to any lounge (the Plaza Premium lounge can be accessed for a fee, which varies).
Old Aug 19, 2014, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by Ready2Go
I haven't tested this personally, but aa.com says you must be departing on an AA-operated flight: "Must present a boarding pass for same day departing travel on AA operated flight and one of the following: Lounge invitation provided at check-in counter; oneworld Emerald or oneworld Sapphire card; Admirals Club or US Airways Club membership."

The Citi Executive card gives full AC membership, so you'd be good if flying AA in coach. But you are not, so I don't think you'll have free access to any lounge (the Plaza Premium lounge can be accessed for a fee, which varies).
Interesting, I stand corrected on that point. Thanks!
Old Aug 19, 2014, 11:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Originally Posted by Ready2Go

Didn't realize it was accessible with either Emerald or AC for some reason. Thought it had to be on CX flight on top of Emerald for the Arrivals. Thanks.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by frudd38
Didn't realize it was accessible with either Emerald or AC for some reason. Thought it had to be on CX flight on top of Emerald for the Arrivals. Thanks.
Ready2Go is talking about the Plaza Premium lounge, not the Arrival. You're correct that OW Emeralds need to be on a CX flight to access the Arrival.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 5:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
Ready2Go is talking about the Plaza Premium lounge, not the Arrival. You're correct that OW Emeralds need to be on a CX flight to access the Arrival.
But I see online there is a Plaza Premium in the Arrivals Hall too.. or am I mistaken?
Old Aug 20, 2014, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by frudd38
But I see online there is a Plaza Premium in the Arrivals Hall too.. or am I mistaken?
Er... there's a CX-operated lounge post-customs called the Arrival. There is also a Plaza Premium lounge in the arrivals hall. No idea whether you could get in the Plaza Premium lounge with an arriving AA BP, but I'd guess not likely given that the website doesn't mentioned. That said, I could be wrong.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 9:08 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Ross0
Wow, very interesting if you jumped the list. I had no idea you could see SWU waitlist on the iPhone app. Fortunately, I've never had a SWU go down to the wire, so have never been in a position to check.

Given, my HKG-DFW upgrade in Oct is not looking good, this is of interest to me. How long has the iPhone app showed the SWU waitlist?
4 hours prior to flight, so not helpful for long term planning..
Old Aug 29, 2014, 1:01 pm

Programs: DL GM
Flew AA138 HKG-DFW in Main Cabin yesterday, was probably one of the worst flights I've been on internationally. The flight was packed from front to rear, full of screaming kids and babies for the full 13 hour duration (in MCE and MC).

The seats, while they have a nice IFE system, could only possibly be comfortable for a short twig as the seats were thin and cramped. 5 minutes after takeoff, the person in front reclined the seat practically to my face; now that the screen is slanted downwards, you would think someone would have the foresight to make the screen tilt adjustable... not AA. Service was the same AA international service, nothing more nothing less: a meal 2 hours after departure, snack at around the halfway 6 hour remaining mark, and then another light meal 2 hours before arrival in economy. These were the only times beverages were served. I would appreciate if AA required seatbacks to be upright during meal service and brought water every now and then in between these services, especially for those in the window seats not really wanting to wake up your neighbors.

Not sure if it's an AA issue but I've never used in flight Wi-Fi, and I was trying to set up an account and throw my money at AA/Gogo but every time during the process, the network times out and kicks me off.

Get into MCE or go to a city with direct service from CX would be my two cents.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
I wanted book a trip to HKG for our wedding anniversary on these flights, but the price difference from AUS to HKG b/w the option we took, and the DFW direct flight was consistently $300-$400 more per person. Oh well, at least we get to stop in NRT and take showers before connecting on CX on the outbound and on the return we have 3 hrs to enjoy the JAL F lounge while connecting..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.