Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG Starting Summer 2014 [route discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 16, 2013, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Route and General Discussion new DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG Routes

ATTENTION! Before you post...
This thread is for the general discussion about the new DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG routes.

Discussion about upgrades on the DFW-HKG flights are here: 77W DFW-HKG AA 137 / 138 Upgrade & Waitlist Discussion
Discussion and questions about flight experiences on the DFW-HKG flights can be found here: 77W DFW-HKG AA 137 / 138 flight experiences, questions

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

"In summer 2014, we plan to introduce new nonstop service between Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) and Hong Kong (HKG), a first for any U.S. carrier. Plus, enjoy a world-class travel experience to Hong Kong on our brand new Boeing 777-300ER aircraft. Check back soon for booking details."

First DFW-HKG flight on June 11, 2014. First HKG-DFW flight on June 13, 2014.

Schedule will be as under, subject to approvals (source airlineroute.net):
● AA137 Departing Dallas 12:45PM arriving Hong Kong 6:05PM (+1 day) [duration 16:20]
● AA138 Departing Hong Kong 1:30PM arriving Dallas 4:30PM [duration 16:00]
● 8,111 AAdvantage miles in each direction

"We plan to introduce new service between Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) and Shanghai (PVG), with flights beginning [on 11 June 2014]. We're excited to be the first U.S. carrier to offer this convenient nonstop route, which will complement existing service between our Chicago (ORD) and Los Angeles (LAX) hubs and Shanghai. Booking details available soon." Date as per 17 Oct 2013 filing with USDOT.

Schedule will be:
● Departing Dallas 10:55AM arriving Shanghai 2:55PM (+1 day) [duration 15:00]
● Departing Shanghai 4:50PM arriving Dallas 6:10PM [duration 14:20]
● 7,351 AAdvantage miles in each direction

In addition to these new routes, we currently offer you even more convenient nonstop flights to top destinations in Asia, including flights between:

Tokyo Narita (NRT) and Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW), Chicago (ORD) and Los Angeles (LAX)
Tokyo Haneda (HND) and New York Kennedy (JFK) (to be dropped Nov 29)
Beijing (PEK) and Chicago (ORD)
Seoul (ICN) and Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW)
Shanghai (PVG) and Chicago (ORD) Los Angeles (LAX) (not mentioned from AA announcement)
Print Wikipost

DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG Starting Summer 2014 [route discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2014, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by BrianV
I had breakfast at Wing this morning, I thought it was excellent. Incredible for lounge food and at par if not great by restaurant quality. The fruit was incredibly fresh and the made to order Fried Eggs, bacon and sausage were excellent. Bacon was crisp and sausage was of German bratwurst quality. On the eggs, the waitress asked how would I like it prepared. I said over-easy, which is a term that outside of North America is rarely understood and she completely understood it; my eggs came back perfect. To my surprise and delight, some perfectly grilled/fried roma tomatoes accompanied my dish. I was very satisfied with the dish.

I did head to Pier as my gate was next to it. I went into the make-shift "first" area. They had strong enforcement for First/Emerald there. The same menu I was presented at Wing was delivered, but I didn't indulge. The seats and general ambiance at Pier was incomparable to the opulence of Wing. There was more staff at Pier though, Wing was very quiet and chill in comparison.

I'll try the lounges again on Friday during mid-day to compare notes.

I did the same thing yesterday! Started at the Wing for breakfast, where I had a delicious omelet, then headed to the Pier. I ended up not staying in the tiny F makeshift section because I wanted to roam around more in the Pier and see the Noodle Bar, self-service options, etc. I did not use the Cabanas at the Wing....maybe next time!

One big annoyance departing HKG is that they do a 100% carry-on bag search on the jetbridge (like in India and Deep South America), so you cannot bring bottled water or any other liquids purchased post-security (except sealed duty free, I assume).
Old Jul 22, 2014, 3:11 pm

Programs: GGL/GFL
W

Sitting in 77W J now, I still prefer 772 F, I find the foot room to be a bit cramped on this 77W (and I'm a skinny'ish guy). The IFE is significantly better on this, but I bring my own entertainment so all in all, I'd take the 772 F hard product and definitely soft product over 77W. 77W J absolutely trumps 772 J of course.
What are your thoughts after the flight. I hadn't done a 772 F flight in about 10 months and did one this week (overnight), and can now conclude that I hate the hard product ( I used to like it). The width of the bed is terrible, and my arms kept falling asleep hanging over the edge. My last few 77W flights on the other hand I have slept very well. For me 77W J wins over 772 F - the BED is simply so much better
Old Jul 22, 2014, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec
Originally Posted by studio76
What are your thoughts after the flight. I hadn't done a 772 F flight in about 10 months and did one this week (overnight), and can now conclude that I hate the hard product ( I used to like it). The width of the bed is terrible, and my arms kept falling asleep hanging over the edge. My last few 77W flights on the other hand I have slept very well. For me 77W J wins over 772 F - the BED is simply so much better
Well our flight was plagued with an 8 hour delay, so that definitely caused major issues. That aside, I did enjoy the 77W. I found the foot area to be a bit cramped. You need to sleep like you're in a coffin. I found 772 J and F to have more room for your feet to be spread apart. Aside from that, everything else was better. I love the numerous storage areas on 77W, it makes settling in a lot easier. On 772 J I have a hard time figuring out where to put my crap so that it doesn't get crushed when I go into bed mode.

I sleep easily, even on 772 J, so I can't really say one is better for sleeping than others, but I imagine 77W will win just about everytime.

If I were to gripe about anything with 77W J, it's that the tray area is too narrow. When you have your food service tray on it, there's really no good place to put your PC/Laptop ( was able to put it on the side area but not before moving a bunch of other stuff I had there). On 772, it easily fits behind the tray. I tend ot still watch my own movies, but with the 77W IFE, I guess one could live without it.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR LT PPE, Arise Mucci des Hommes de Fer
I had breakfast at Wing this morning, I thought it was excellent. Incredible for lounge food and at par if not great by restaurant quality. The fruit was incredibly fresh and the made to order Fried Eggs, bacon and sausage were excellent. Bacon was crisp and sausage was of German bratwurst quality. On the eggs, the waitress asked how would I like it prepared. I said over-easy, which is a term that outside of North America is rarely understood and she completely understood it; my eggs came back perfect. To my surprise and delight, some perfectly grilled/fried roma tomatoes accompanied my dish. I was very satisfied with the dish.

I did head to Pier as my gate was next to it. I went into the make-shift "first" area. They had strong enforcement for First/Emerald there. The same menu I was presented at Wing was delivered, but I didn't indulge. The seats and general ambiance at Pier was incomparable to the opulence of Wing. There was more staff at Pier though, Wing was very quiet and chill in comparison.

Does anyone know if the QF F lounge has reopened in HKG?
Old Jul 22, 2014, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec
Originally Posted by TheAAdmiral
What gate is it near? I can check, I'll be back in HKG on Friday.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
There is no QF F lounge, it's now a single joint F/J lounge but with upgraded offerings.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

The location is the mirror image of the Wing, overlooking Gates 15-19 or something like that, right after the north security entrance.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Been open since April.. http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-...403-3615b.html
Old Jul 22, 2014, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by ESpen36
I did the same thing yesterday! Started at the Wing for breakfast, where I had a delicious omelet, then headed to the Pier. I ended up not staying in the tiny F makeshift section because I wanted to roam around more in the Pier and see the Noodle Bar, self-service options, etc. I did not use the Cabanas at the Wing....maybe next time!
Yes, just like food in the Admirals Clubs!!

Catering in the CX lounges at HKG is contracted to the Peninsula.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 8:16 pm

Today's (Wednesday, 23 Jul) 138 is only over by 1 in Y If anyone has a drink chit or something to appease the opup gods, I will forever be in your debt.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 4:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, MR LT PPE, Arise Mucci des Hommes de Fer
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Thanks, it looks very nice and worth a visit.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by frudd38
I went a bit overboard on the recent sale, now totaling 7 of these booked through next April. Cleared instantly on zero, although MCE was wide open on each one. For those that waitlisted and already flown, how early have the upgrades been clearing? It seems to be ranging 3-6 days out from what I gathered.
Watching for my so who has three flights booked in Aug Sept and Dec so I'm interested in the same information. Don't forget to register for express e channel after you have entered three times.

I'm partial to the mushroom risotto and rice noodles in the wing for lunch.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Wirelessly posted (Apple iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D201 Safari/9537.53)

I did notice that the Wing seemed oddly configured and smaller than I remembered. There just seemed to be the one main room of loungers, then the dining area. The old "Library" interior area didn't seem to exist anymore, nor did the dining lounge interior room, and the access to the Business class terrace area (with the Noodle Bar) was closed off. Does anyone know what is happening? I went out to the Pier, and there the Business lounge was open but the First section was closed. Hmmm. So the Wing has part of First but not Business, and vice versa for the Pier??
Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:24 am

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by worldiswide
Don't forget to register for express e channel after you have entered three times.
Or check if you have status in any other carriers that can get it to you on the first one. I have UA status due to Marriott Plat status so I'll be signing up on my first trip to HKG in October (cleared at time of booking in to J with 2 SWUs, thanks EF!).
Old Jul 24, 2014, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by betonic
I was wait listed to use miles and co pay for DFW HKG on August 20th and it cleared today.

The business class cabin is almost empty. If you had your choice of seat which would it be?
Row 3 window, or window in the middle of the main J cabin.

Row 4 is right next to galley and lavs. Row 5 is too close to the walk-up bar, so lots of foot traffic.

Row 15 is right next to the lavs that serve both J and MCE, so lots of traffic.

If you're right handed, I would pick an A or H seat. I sat in 15J and the suite wall limited room for my elbow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.