Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG Starting Summer 2014 [route discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 16, 2013, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Route and General Discussion new DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG Routes

ATTENTION! Before you post...
This thread is for the general discussion about the new DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG routes.

Discussion about upgrades on the DFW-HKG flights are here: 77W DFW-HKG AA 137 / 138 Upgrade & Waitlist Discussion
Discussion and questions about flight experiences on the DFW-HKG flights can be found here: 77W DFW-HKG AA 137 / 138 flight experiences, questions

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

"In summer 2014, we plan to introduce new nonstop service between Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) and Hong Kong (HKG), a first for any U.S. carrier. Plus, enjoy a world-class travel experience to Hong Kong on our brand new Boeing 777-300ER aircraft. Check back soon for booking details."

First DFW-HKG flight on June 11, 2014. First HKG-DFW flight on June 13, 2014.

Schedule will be as under, subject to approvals (source airlineroute.net):
● AA137 Departing Dallas 12:45PM arriving Hong Kong 6:05PM (+1 day) [duration 16:20]
● AA138 Departing Hong Kong 1:30PM arriving Dallas 4:30PM [duration 16:00]
● 8,111 AAdvantage miles in each direction

"We plan to introduce new service between Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) and Shanghai (PVG), with flights beginning [on 11 June 2014]. We're excited to be the first U.S. carrier to offer this convenient nonstop route, which will complement existing service between our Chicago (ORD) and Los Angeles (LAX) hubs and Shanghai. Booking details available soon." Date as per 17 Oct 2013 filing with USDOT.

Schedule will be:
● Departing Dallas 10:55AM arriving Shanghai 2:55PM (+1 day) [duration 15:00]
● Departing Shanghai 4:50PM arriving Dallas 6:10PM [duration 14:20]
● 7,351 AAdvantage miles in each direction

In addition to these new routes, we currently offer you even more convenient nonstop flights to top destinations in Asia, including flights between:

Tokyo Narita (NRT) and Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW), Chicago (ORD) and Los Angeles (LAX)
Tokyo Haneda (HND) and New York Kennedy (JFK) (to be dropped Nov 29)
Beijing (PEK) and Chicago (ORD)
Seoul (ICN) and Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW)
Shanghai (PVG) and Chicago (ORD) Los Angeles (LAX) (not mentioned from AA announcement)
Print Wikipost

DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG Starting Summer 2014 [route discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2014, 5:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Originally Posted by nkedel
Do you mean something like DFW-HKG-SYD or do you mean AA137 and HKG-DFW-AUS?

Having done SFO-HKG-CNS, all in CX J, it was pretty pleasant. The service won't be as good on AA, but the seats are fine, and I can't imagine actually noticing the extra couple of hours on each leg.

(Now, I wish I had an excuse to do QF7 to AA137 someday. That would be pretty epic.)
Originally Posted by austin_res
To me, any overseas flight in J will be good, no matter how long. Especially on AA's 77W J seats. Y on the other hand is definitely brutal.
Sorry for the ambiguity, I meant AUS as in Australia. Already booked LAX-DFW-HKG on the AA deal and thinking of connecting to either MEL/SYD/BNE out of HKG the same night of arrival on CX J.

I guess spending a few hours in the Wing would be refreshing to tackle the next 9 hours to Australia, hopefully asleep, but 30 hours of flying in 35 hours still seems quite a bit.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by frudd38

I guess spending a few hours in the Wing would be refreshing to tackle the next 9 hours to Australia, hopefully asleep, but 30 hours of flying in 35 hours still seems quite a bit.
Aside: At this point, I prefer the new QF lounge over The Wing J.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 1:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LAXative
Aside: At this point, I prefer the new QF lounge over The Wing J.
The Cabin is my favorite lounge at HKIA when it isn't crowded.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
As I said, I did something close to that for lack of QF awards a few years ago. SFO-HKG-CNS was quite pleasant... slept through a great deal of it, and come to think of it we had a long ground hold getting out of HKG, which we were allowed to recline the seats and sleep during.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K, Marriott/SPG Platinum Elite
How is the new HKG flight doing?

It seems to be sold out or nearly sold out every day in J. Y seems to have only 1 or 2 seats left every day, which probably means it's oversold. Based on that, seems like the new flight is doing well (at least in terms of yield). Anybody have any insight or guesses about how profit is looking for this route?
Old Aug 11, 2014, 10:47 am

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM
Really? I was upgraded for tomorrow's flight to HKG immediately upon booking and it is currently J5/C2. My return flight is only half full in J and I'm pretty confident about that one, too. At what days are you looking?
Old Aug 11, 2014, 10:50 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K, Marriott/SPG Platinum Elite
I was trying to find a J ticket from HKG to DFW this Saturday. It's sold out in coach and business. And when I do the Expert Flyer search for a few days before and after, it looks almost full in every cabin.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by mmjaysee
I was trying to find a J ticket from HKG to DFW this Saturday. It's sold out in coach and business. And when I do the Expert Flyer search for a few days before and after, it looks almost full in every cabin.
There's a big thread with discussion of this flight. The short version is that the HKG-DFW leg is often fully booked up in back.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
There's a big thread with discussion of this flight. The short version is that the HKG-DFW leg is often fully booked up in back.
Just checked the loads for AA138 HKG-DFW for the next week. They are all oversold by at least 10.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Regardless of this thread's title, it seems like the vast majority of the discussion is about DFW-HKG. Maybe it should be spun off like an early-90's teen drama, a la 90210/Melrose Place?
Old Aug 11, 2014, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Col Ronson
Just checked the loads for AA138 HKG-DFW for the next week. They are all oversold by at least 10.
I believe you meant to say "overbooked" by at least 10.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 2:37 pm

If doing a one night turn, I read you can check in for your AA flight 24 hours before departure at HKG, thus I should be able to get my boarding pass for AA138 over there and use the lounges?
Old Aug 11, 2014, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
If doing a one night turn, I read you can check in for your AA flight 24 hours before departure at HKG, thus I should be able to get my boarding pass for AA138 over there and use the lounges?

I did a one-night turn last month, and was not able to check in until the morning of departure.

I tried without success:

a) online (didn't work because of mandatory document verification, despite no visa required)
b) at Airport Express Central Station in-town check-in (no contractors or AA agents working the AA desk at that hour)
c) at a kiosk in the airport terminal (gave an error: Please see an agent to complete check-in)

Here is what AA.com says about HKG check-in times:

TICKET COUNTER HOURS
9:30 a.m. 12:30 noon

In-town check-in:

If you are taking the Airport Express, you can enjoy the convenient free in-town check-in (Airport Express Station) service in Hong Kong and Kowloon Stations to check in between 90-minutes and one full day ahead of your scheduled flight departure time.

(but again, I tried to go to the Airport Express station at approximately 9pm the night before my flight, and nobody was working the AA counters)
Old Aug 11, 2014, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ESpen36
I did a one-night turn last month, and was not able to check in until the morning of departure.

I tried without success:

a) online (didn't work because of mandatory document verification, despite no visa required)
b) at Airport Express Central Station in-town check-in (no contractors or AA agents working the AA desk at that hour)
c) at a kiosk in the airport terminal (gave an error: Please see an agent to complete check-in)

Here is what AA.com says about HKG check-in times:

TICKET COUNTER HOURS
9:30 a.m. 12:30 noon

In-town check-in:

If you are taking the Airport Express, you can enjoy the convenient free in-town check-in (Airport Express Station) service in Hong Kong and Kowloon Stations to check in between 90-minutes and one full day ahead of your scheduled flight departure time.

(but again, I tried to go to the Airport Express station at approximately 9pm the night before my flight, and nobody was working the AA counters)
I confirmed with an AA CSR at HKG that the website is mistaken, and you are not able to check in until the day of departure, and even then it's not from when the in-town counters open. At HKG, check-in starts at 9:30am.

The explanation is that they don't yet have the trained staffing to do check-in beyond what they have now.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by LAXative
I confirmed with an AA CSR at HKG that the website is mistaken, and you are not able to check in until the day of departure, and even then it's not from when the in-town counters open. At HKG, check-in starts at 9:30am.

The explanation is that they don't yet have the trained staffing to do check-in beyond what they have now.
That's quite unfortunate.. Any other options to get back up to Dept level after I land to access the lounges? I was hoping AA would just issue the return BP at DFW as well but that seems unlikely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.