Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG Starting Summer 2014 [route discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 16, 2013, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Route and General Discussion new DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG Routes

ATTENTION! Before you post...
This thread is for the general discussion about the new DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG routes.

Discussion about upgrades on the DFW-HKG flights are here: 77W DFW-HKG AA 137 / 138 Upgrade & Waitlist Discussion
Discussion and questions about flight experiences on the DFW-HKG flights can be found here: 77W DFW-HKG AA 137 / 138 flight experiences, questions

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

"In summer 2014, we plan to introduce new nonstop service between Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) and Hong Kong (HKG), a first for any U.S. carrier. Plus, enjoy a world-class travel experience to Hong Kong on our brand new Boeing 777-300ER aircraft. Check back soon for booking details."

First DFW-HKG flight on June 11, 2014. First HKG-DFW flight on June 13, 2014.

Schedule will be as under, subject to approvals (source airlineroute.net):
● AA137 Departing Dallas 12:45PM arriving Hong Kong 6:05PM (+1 day) [duration 16:20]
● AA138 Departing Hong Kong 1:30PM arriving Dallas 4:30PM [duration 16:00]
● 8,111 AAdvantage miles in each direction

"We plan to introduce new service between Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) and Shanghai (PVG), with flights beginning [on 11 June 2014]. We're excited to be the first U.S. carrier to offer this convenient nonstop route, which will complement existing service between our Chicago (ORD) and Los Angeles (LAX) hubs and Shanghai. Booking details available soon." Date as per 17 Oct 2013 filing with USDOT.

Schedule will be:
● Departing Dallas 10:55AM arriving Shanghai 2:55PM (+1 day) [duration 15:00]
● Departing Shanghai 4:50PM arriving Dallas 6:10PM [duration 14:20]
● 7,351 AAdvantage miles in each direction

In addition to these new routes, we currently offer you even more convenient nonstop flights to top destinations in Asia, including flights between:

Tokyo Narita (NRT) and Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW), Chicago (ORD) and Los Angeles (LAX)
Tokyo Haneda (HND) and New York Kennedy (JFK) (to be dropped Nov 29)
Beijing (PEK) and Chicago (ORD)
Seoul (ICN) and Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW)
Shanghai (PVG) and Chicago (ORD) Los Angeles (LAX) (not mentioned from AA announcement)
Print Wikipost

DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG Starting Summer 2014 [route discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2014, 11:39 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by Paulakers2010
Way, way stingier than before. At the beginning of this year, there were ORD/DFW/LAX-NRT DRDM offers. I would expect at least DRDMs. No Elite Rewards when there are Elite Rewards in US DMs.
Welcome to the new USAir.. whoops, I mean AA.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 12:56 am

Programs: Basement Lurker Club
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Wirelessly posted (Apple iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D201 Safari/9537.53)
Is HKG subject to the same 5th freedom restrictions as airports in mainland China?
People keep suggesting this to be true, but I haven't seen any proof or citation to this fact.

Furthermore, there are a TON of 5th freedom flights in Hong Kong despite someone previously stating only UA/DL have that right.

Just to name a few off the top of my head. Emirates to Bangkok. Kenya to Bangkok, Royal Jordan to Bangkok, Sri Lanka to Bangkok.... (wow this is strange, all to BKK).... Singapore to San Francisco, and Ethiopian to Bangkok and Seoul, to the latter of which I will be taking on Monday to ICN. :-/

So it seems to me, even if there are restrictions, they must be pretty easy to overcome given the above list, and probably even more I don't know about. Though an AA flight to BKK with 3 OW members already on that route??? Seems a little silly.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 2:15 am

Programs: AA MM EP, QF Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTT, HH Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Clearly someone was asleep at the switch and didn't prepare the bonus offer in time for the inaugural flights, but to then to deny the stingy bonus miles to the first week travelers? Wow.
Curiously the promotion was announced at the launch party in Hong Kong two days before the service launch, but I was in the middle of a conversation and didn't catch the details on timing. I'm flying the new service the week after next, but I'm flying to the U.S. via NRT, so I wouldn't qualify regardless of when you needed to book by. I'll probably get three of the bonuses this year anyway though.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FWAAA
I've never seen AA do a new route bonus mileage promotion that started a week to 10 days after the new route begins. Never.

On top of that, it's not a very generous bonus. Better than the miserly "gift" of 500 miles handed out to those on the inaugural flights, but still nothing to get excited about.

And not awarding it to those who have already bought tickets or flew since the route began? Cheap beyond words.

Clearly someone was asleep at the switch and didn't prepare the bonus offer in time for the inaugural flights, but to then to deny the stingy bonus miles to the first week travelers? Wow.
Yeah seriously, give me a break - so because I purchased my tickets 3 weeks ago (flight is in October so would qualify for promo) I won't get the bonus miles. Shouldn't they be rewarding those who bought tickets early?

I mean granted I'm on a Q fare so it's just 5k miles and I'd rather my SWUs clear than get the 5k miles but it seems a bit ridiculous to not give this to people who had already purchased tickets for this fall. It's a total UA / US move
Old Jun 25, 2014, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by hessinger
So it seems to me, even if there are restrictions, they must be pretty easy to overcome given the above list, and probably even more I don't know about. Though an AA flight to BKK with 3 OW members already on that route??? Seems a little silly.
How about AA just having actual code shares on the other two, and actually selling the codeshares they have as ongoing flights after 137?
Old Jun 25, 2014, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by nkedel
How about AA just having actual code shares on the other two, and actually selling the codeshares they have as ongoing flights after 137?
That will definitely be the next thing that AA will do with CX or MH.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Paulakers2010
That will definitely be the next thing that AA will do with CX or MH.
Here's hoping. Although MH doesn't help much besides KUL -- that's just into KUL; their TPACs all go through NRT, don't they?

Kind of weird they didn't have that arranged with CX at the start of service on DFW-HKG. *shrug*
Old Jun 25, 2014, 7:35 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Originally Posted by hessinger
People keep suggesting this to be true, but I haven't seen any proof or citation to this fact.

Furthermore, there are a TON of 5th freedom flights in Hong Kong despite someone previously stating only UA/DL have that right.

Just to name a few off the top of my head. Emirates to Bangkok. Kenya to Bangkok, Royal Jordan to Bangkok, Sri Lanka to Bangkok.... (wow this is strange, all to BKK).... Singapore to San Francisco, and Ethiopian to Bangkok and Seoul, to the latter of which I will be taking on Monday to ICN. :-/

The last bilateral agreement that was negotiated between the HK SAR and USA allowed TWO US airlines to carry passengers and cargo beyond HKG. Those two are UA and NW (now Delta). They were approved for additional frequencies. It also allowed for 4 new cargo carriers 5th freedom flights.

Each country negotiates their own bi-lateral agreements. Until the SAR and USA sit down again and negotiate, it will only be UA and DL.

Part of the reason why carriers like using BKK-HKG is because they can turn the plane. Rather than having it sit there for 8 hours, they can get an additional leg. RJ uses BKK based crew on the BKK-HKG sector. Hence, lower crew costs.

Last edited by 77W_12A; Jun 25, 2014 at 10:12 pm
Old Jun 28, 2014, 1:57 am
swy

Programs: Greyhound Vermillion Mithril
Originally Posted by TxH2O
Also the Chinese announcement was a little awkward, referring to flying over the USSR, not Russia. Also didn't have entry cards for HK.
Maybe it was still USSR in that time zone
Old Jul 5, 2014, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Col Ronson
If you want the direct Sabre inventory (not that expert flyer crap) for a specific date i have access to that, just PM me.
Expert Flyer provides real-time inventory for AA flights (at least for now) directly from the GDS. I'm confused as to why you disparage EF.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 12:00 am

Recently flew AA 127 to PVG. The load in economy was very, very light. I had previously selected 31H, but noticed the empty seat map and switched to get row 21 to myself at the gate. When the boarding doors were closed, the first 5 rows or so of coach in the center were empty except for myself (people soon redistributed themselves to take advantage).

On the contrary, I'm flying AA 128 in about a week to get back. EF says Y3 already. The agents at the gate at DFW were saying that the flights on the way to PVG were empty, but the flights on the way back were way oversold.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AA must have been playing with fares this afternoon; caught AA 138/137 (with connections from/to SFO) for a hair over $1300 next week (out 15th, back 20th)-- not bad for barely over 7 days advance. Have it held; it's back to being about $1800 tonight. Have to get some ducks in a row, but it's a fairly quiet time at work and am hoping to book it.

Not really mileage run sort of deal (7.25c/mile) but time is short this year, and I've always found it easiest to requal on a few ULH flights.

eta: booked. SWU confirmed on the way out, wait-listed but "looking good" on the way back. This flight puts me over for PLT for the year; might actually re-qualify for EXP at this rate.

Last edited by nkedel; Jul 8, 2014 at 5:26 pm
Old Jul 8, 2014, 8:53 pm

Programs: Lifetime Plat; SQ PPS; AA Platinum
PVG - DFW showing 777 not 77W

Just wanted to see if anyone has flown PVG - DFW route on the 77W recently? Based on the seat map for November, it looks like the older 777 is flying this route.

I like that this gives me more options to fly home but the PVG - LAX route is more efficient for me time wise and I'd much rather fly CX Premium Economy or business vs. AA's old C, which is why I have been flying CX a lot over the past few years when I run out of e-VIP's. Also, flights in August were over $2.5k in Y last I checked, which is just ridiculous to take a chance on the upgrade lotto. I've flown this last minute for work in Y, without MCE and I am amazed there isn't a riot on the plane between the lack of pitch and terrible food on the older plane.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by dickie98
Just wanted to see if anyone has flown PVG - DFW route on the 77W recently? Based on the seat map for November, it looks like the older 777 is flying this route.

I like that this gives me more options to fly home but the PVG - LAX route is more efficient for me time wise and I'd much rather fly CX Premium Economy or business vs. AA's old C, which is why I have been flying CX a lot over the past few years when I run out of e-VIP's. Also, flights in August were over $2.5k in Y last I checked, which is just ridiculous to take a chance on the upgrade lotto. I've flown this last minute for work in Y, without MCE and I am amazed there isn't a riot on the plane between the lack of pitch and terrible food on the older plane.
HKG is the only route getting the 77W. PVG has been and will be a 772.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 9:23 pm

Programs: Lifetime Plat; SQ PPS; AA Platinum
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
HKG is the only route getting the 77W. PVG has been and will be a 772.
"Sigh", thanks, was afraid of that. Guess I'll continue flying CX until more 77W's are delivered.

FYI there is a CX fare sale from the US to Asia through August. I booked a return SFO - HKG - PVG with a stop over in HKG on the return (up to 2 stopovers) in C for $3.9k, which is very competitive vs. AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.