AA flight DFW-HKG-DFW experiences, questions

    Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 5, 19, 10:23 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
(LAA) 777-300ER / "77W" Experiences & Questions AA 137 / AA 138 DFW-HKG-DFW
NOTE: Changing to AA 125 and 126 Nov 2016


(with thanks to Dr. HFH for starting this thread)
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
There's a thread for upgrade experiences on these flights, but none for experiences actually taking these flights, so I thought that I'd start one. These are arguably AA's premier flights right now, -- longest route, new aircraft, etc. So share your onboard experiences here, good, bad and otherwise!!
Discussion about the DFW-HKG route is here: DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG Starting Summer 2014 [route discussion]
Discussion about upgrades on the DFW-HKG flights are here: 77W DFW-HKG AA 137 / 138 Upgrade & Waitlist Discussion

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 12, 14, 3:31 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: LAX/ORD/HNL
Programs: AA EXP, 4 MM, LT Pt, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 322
AA flight DFW-HKG-DFW experiences, questions

I was aboard Flight 137 on June 11th and wanted to share my experience. Because I dreaded the thought of flying three hours to DFW from LAX and then boarding a sixteen plus hour flight to HKG, I decided to leave for DFW on June 10th and stay overnight at the Grand Hyatt at Terminal D. Even though I have no status with Hyatt, a desk agent by the name of Taylor was very helpful in securing a room facing the western runways on a high floor (it is service such as Taylor provided that makes me rethink my loyalty to Hilton). I enjoyed a room service meal and had a great time watching airport operations for a large part of the evening.

The next morning I left for the terminal at 10:30 AM. I quickly cleared security through pre-check and headed for the Admirals Club but my path was interrupted by a couple of dragons chasing evil spirits (part of the inaugural festivities for both the Hong Kong and Shanghai flights). After placating my evil spirits the dragons allowed me to continue to the Club. There I was issued three drink chits. I used one for a bottle of water and hid two others under the keyboard of a computer in the cybercafé.

Headed for gate D25A (a gate change from D23) at noon and boarded fairly quickly. The captain came by my seat (2A) and introduced himself. I learned that we had four pilots on board (three of whom were captains and one an extremely experienced first officer). The purser (Ginny) then came by and decided I was a small/medium in jammies. Prior to pushback the purser had announced that our flying time to Hong Kong would be fifteen hours and twenty-seven minutes, a bit under the sixteen hours and twenty minutes AA had allotted for this flight.

Pushback from the gate was right on schedule at 12:45 PM and we were treated to a very cool water cannon salute by the DFW fire department.

Lunch service commenced shortly after takeoff and, as usual, AA overfeeds you on these international flights. I said no to the amuse-bouche, yes to the Thai chicken starter, no to the hot and sour soup, and yes to the salad. For my entrée, I had preselected the cashew chicken. It was excellent as was the baby bok choy, the rice not so much but, then again, I don’t expect perfection in dining when I fly on any carrier. There were two more food services after lunch but I only ate a little of the third service. It was actually quite tasty consisting of dim sum and some noodles.

The cabin crew (Ginny, Sandra, and Ron) in first class was excellent. They were attentive to our needs without being obsequious and obviously took pride in this new international flight. I thought there would be one snack bar back in business for both first class and business class on this flight but Ron the FA came by and told me to come up and take a look at the spread they had put out for first class in the first class galley.

At approximately 6:30 PM (central time) we crossed from Canada into Alaska. At first thought it was surprising that after almost six hours on a flight from DFW to HKG we were still over land but not so surprising when you realized we were on a polar route. As a matter of fact, the vast majority of the route is over land. At about 7:34 PM (central time) we started over the Bering Sea. At about 8 PM (central time) we entered the Russian Federation. Entered China from Russia at about 11:50 PM (central time) and soon lost internet access. I assumed this was due to the “great firewall of china”.

Shortly before landing, Ginny came by and gave me back my first class menu which she had every member of the flight crew autograph. That was really cool on her part and that menu will always be a memento of this flight.

We landed in HKG about 5:47 PM (Hong Kong time) which was about twenty minutes ahead of our scheduled arrival. Arrival formalities went very quickly and I was soon on my way to the Conrad in Central. This was an historic inaugural flight and I truly hope it augurs well for American Airlines growth in Asia.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 23, 15 at 10:38 am Reason: Paragraphing
marnold3 is offline  
Old Jun 12, 14, 4:55 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: DFW
Programs: Mediocre AA Stew
Posts: 428
Great report marnold3. Glad you enjoyed it and loved having you onboard. Being part of this inaugural was the highlight of my career!
s80dude is offline  
Old Jun 12, 14, 5:02 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: San Jose, Costa Rica
Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Posts: 1,599
Thanks for the trip report, marnold. I'm glad to hear it was such a great flight.
SJOGuy is offline  
Old Jun 12, 14, 9:02 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: IAH
Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott PP, Hilton Gold
Posts: 1,054
Originally Posted by marnold3 View Post
I was aboard Flight 137 on June 11th and wanted to share my experience. Because I dreaded the thought of flying three hours to DFW from LAX and then boarding a sixteen plus hour flight to HKG, I decided to leave for DFW on June 10th and stay overnight at the Grand Hyatt at Terminal D. Even though I have no status with Hyatt, a desk agent by the name of Taylor was very helpful in securing a room facing the western runways on a high floor (it is service such as Taylor provided that makes me rethink my loyalty to Hilton). I enjoyed a room service meal and had a great time watching airport operations for a large part of the evening. The next morning I left for the terminal at 10:30 AM. I quickly cleared security through pre-check and headed for the Admirals Club but my path was interrupted by a couple of dragons chasing evil spirits (part of the inaugural festivities for both the Hong Kong and Shanghai flights). After placating my evil spirits the dragons allowed me to continue to the Club. There I was issued three drink chits. I used one for a bottle of water and hid two others under the keyboard of a computer in the cybercafé. Headed for gate D25A (a gate change from D23) at noon and boarded fairly quickly. The captain came by my seat (2A) and introduced himself. I learned that we had four pilots on board (three of whom were captains and one an extremely experienced first officer). The purser (Ginny) then came by and decided I was a small/medium in jammies. Prior to pushback the purser had announced that our flying time to Hong Kong would be fifteen hours and twenty-seven minutes, a bit under the sixteen hours and twenty minutes AA had allotted for this flight. Pushback from the gate was right on schedule at 12:45 PM and we were treated to a very cool water cannon salute by the DFW fire department. Lunch service commenced shortly after takeoff and, as usual, AA overfeeds you on these international flights. I said no to the amuse-bouche, yes to the Thai chicken starter, no to the hot and sour soup, and yes to the salad. For my entrée, I had preselected the cashew chicken. It was excellent as was the baby bok choy, the rice not so much but, then again, I don’t expect perfection in dining when I fly on any carrier. There were two more food services after lunch but I only ate a little of the third service. It was actually quite tasty consisting of dim sum and some noodles. The cabin crew (Ginny, Sandra, and Ron) in first class was excellent. They were attentive to our needs without being obsequious and obviously took pride in this new international flight. I thought there would be one snack bar back in business for both first class and business class on this flight but Ron the FA came by and told me to come up and take a look at the spread they had put out for first class in the first class galley. At approximately 6:30 PM (central time) we crossed from Canada into Alaska. At first thought it was surprising that after almost six hours on a flight from DFW to HKG we were still over land but not so surprising when you realized we were on a polar route. As a matter of fact, the vast majority of the route is over land. At about 7:34 PM (central time) we started over the Bering Sea. At about 8 PM (central time) we entered the Russian Federation. Entered China from Russia at about 11:50 PM (central time) and soon lost internet access. I assumed this was due to the “great firewall of china”. Shortly before landing, Ginny came by and gave me back my first class menu which she had every member of the flight crew autograph. That was really cool on her part and that menu will always be a memento of this flight. We landed in HKG about 5:47 PM (Hong Kong time) which was about twenty minutes ahead of our scheduled arrival. Arrival formalities went very quickly and I was soon on my way to the Conrad in Central. This was an historic inaugural flight and I truly hope it augurs well for American Airlines growth in Asia.
Thanks for the report! Any festivities at the gate prior to boarding?
dat4life is offline  
Old Jun 12, 14, 11:16 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: LAX/ORD/HNL
Programs: AA EXP, 4 MM, LT Pt, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 322
Originally Posted by dat4life View Post
Thanks for the report! Any festivities at the gate prior to boarding?
I think there were a few speeches from some dignitaries but I only cared about the dragons so after watching them a bit, I headed for the Admirals Club. For years I had to listen to commencement speakers and look interested. Now I skip the speeches and just do the fun stuff
marnold3 is offline  
Old Jun 13, 14, 3:26 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 179
Just got off the hkg dfw inaugural. Good flight in general also received 500 miles, small tumi branded socket adapter. There was a bit of celebrations at the gate prior to boarding with I assume the same cheerleaders.

Morning was a bit messy at the check in gates. Could definitely tell that this their first day and they were figuring stuff out at hkg.

Will prob post a trip report later.
ktkw is offline  
Old Jun 13, 14, 4:18 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: DCA
Programs: AA EXP, National Exec., SPG Gold, AmEx Plat
Posts: 88
For those interested, there is an excellent write-up over on the Trip Reports forum:

Welcome to Hong Kong: American Airlines Inaugural from DFW to HKG on June 6, 2014

Is someone able to confirm the exact mileage posted to their account for the flight? AA's Route Map suggests 8,119 miles, but I find it often disagrees with what I actually receive. Thanks!

Last edited by LondonIce; Jun 13, 14 at 4:29 pm
LondonIce is offline  
Old Jun 14, 14, 1:56 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SIN, PIE
Programs: AA-EXP, SQ-PPS, Marriott PP
Posts: 207
DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG Starting Summer 2014

Some observations from AA137 on 6/13.

Big scramble to pull out of DFW on time. We ended up leaving 5 minutes late. Ground crew was pushing hard to get folks seated. Almost to the point it made me think they have bonuses attached to on-time departures. I really have no idea.

First failed SWU in my AA lifetime. J inventory looked good at T-2 days. Still reading through other threads to see if my first leg from DCA also numbered 137 could be the root cause.

MCE isn't bad. Decent seat with pitch. Width is lacking. The main cabin looks incredibly tight. I'm surprised the aisles aren't considered a safety hazard. AVOD is ok with a good amount of content. I found the UI to be counterintuitive.

Wifi didn't work for the first ~3 hours. Technically wifi worked but couldn't connect to any networks outside the aircraft. I slept for 6 hours and found it working when I woke up. $19 charged for the full flight. Works great for text based applications.

First meal, lunch, was standard coach chicken or beef. I saw another MCE pax with beef- totally red including the outside (yikes). I had chicken and it was enough to hold me over until I can get to The Wing at HKG. Only 2 drinks served and a bottle of water. I didn't hound them for more.

Lots of Y pax using the J restrooms at the back of J. Ditto for J pax using Y restrooms.

Looks like we'll arrive just about on time. Will report back with anything of interest. Hopefully the inbound is an improvement.
iadp is offline  
Old Jun 14, 14, 3:47 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Programs: AA CK, SPG Plt, Marriott Plt, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz PC
Posts: 441
Originally Posted by LondonIce View Post
For those interested, there is an excellent write-up over on the Trip Reports forum:

Welcome to Hong Kong: American Airlines Inaugural from DFW to HKG on June 6, 2014

Is someone able to confirm the exact mileage posted to their account for the flight? AA's Route Map suggests 8,119 miles, but I find it often disagrees with what I actually receive. Thanks!
Just checked my account and it hasnt posted for me.

All in all it was good flight. I was in Paid J, waitlisted for UPG but did not clear despite being 1st on the list. Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders was a nice touch.

500 miles....better off not doing it all. I mean seriously? Giving everyone a 500 mile UPG sticker or two would have been better.
nitrobass24 is offline  
Old Jun 15, 14, 6:52 pm
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: LAX/ORD/HNL
Programs: AA EXP, 4 MM, LT Pt, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 322
I've had a great extended weekend stay here in HK but it is time to leave. I'll be on AA 138 today (June 16th) in seat 1A.
marnold3 is offline  
Old Jun 15, 14, 10:40 pm
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: LAX/ORD/HNL
Programs: AA EXP, 4 MM, LT Pt, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 322
Wow - a CK representative personally escorted me to the Wing and will be back to escort me to the gate (Gate 64) in a bit. Such service!
marnold3 is offline  
Old Jun 15, 14, 11:42 pm
  #12  
formerly gemini573
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: LAX, HKG, and BKK
Programs: CX DM (Emerald), former Hyatt DM, and current Marriott Gold.
Posts: 2,215
Originally Posted by marnold3 View Post
Wow - a CK representative personally escorted me to the Wing and will be back to escort me to the gate (Gate 64) in a bit. Such service!

Are they sending all the passengers with lounge access to the CX lounges?
77W_12A is offline  
Old Jun 16, 14, 1:11 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: LAX
Posts: 6,768
Originally Posted by marnold3 View Post
Wow - a CK representative personally escorted me to the Wing and will be back to escort me to the gate (Gate 64) in a bit. Such service!
Wow. Are you CK?
FlyMeToTheLooneyBin is offline  
Old Jun 16, 14, 8:39 am
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: LAX/ORD/HNL
Programs: AA EXP, 4 MM, LT Pt, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 322
Originally Posted by gemini573 View Post
Are they sending all the passengers with lounge access to the CX lounges?
No, I believe you have to be EXP to get into the Wing.

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin View Post
Wow. Are you CK?
No, I am not CK nor have I ever been. This is just one of those examples where my loyalty to AA is rewarded with an unexpected perk.

When I boarded the flight, one of the pilots on board started chatting with me. He told me to go up to the cockpit where they let me sit in the captain's seat. Another pilot asked for my phone and took my picture. I told the guys that I would trade 1A for the jump seat (at least for takeoff) but that just elicited laughter.

Last edited by JY1024; Feb 20, 15 at 9:11 am Reason: merged consecutive posts
marnold3 is offline  
Old Jun 16, 14, 11:06 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Shreveport (SHV)
Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Amtrak, WN
Posts: 2,432
Smile

Can EXP/OW Emerald use the CX F Wing lounge when flying on AA HKG-DFW?
brewdog11 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: