Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 21, 2017, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The AA (Legacy US Airways) Airbus Industrie A330-200

AA announced retirement of the A330-200 in the Oct 2020 earnings report.

Status of reconfiguration
N279AY - NEW
N280AY - NEW
N281AY - NEW
N282AY - NEW
N283AY - NEW
N284AY - NEW
N285AY - NEW
N286AY - NEW
N287AY - NEW
N288AY - NEW
N289AY - NEW
N290AY - NEW
N291AY - NEW
N292AY - NEW
N293AY - NEW
UNDER CONSTRUCTION

NOTE: The 15 A330-200 (with Rolls Royce Trent 700 engines) are being retained and updated. (The nine Pratt & Whitney equipped A330-300s have been scheduled for retirement (return to lessor at lease end) by late 2018 due to poor "fit" in the AA fleet (link).) The A330-200s will continue, however, and the launch of the retrofitted A330-200 will see
  • 20 Zodiac "Envoy" type Business seats in a 1-2-1 layout (1 blocked for pilot rest)
  • 21 Premium Economy (B/E Aerospace) seats in a 2-3-2 layout
  • 50 Main Cabin Extra seats (same seats as Y, just greater seat pitch) 2-4-2 (2 blocked for customers requiring customer assistance)
  • Main Cabin / Economy seats also 2-4-2
  • Ku band satellite based Panasonic WiFi
  • Individual personal entertainment screens for every seat
  • Seat power
  • Noise reduction headsets - Bose in Business, others for Premium Economy

Premium Economy and extended Main Cabin Extra has been installed on the A330-200 fleet. Until 15 Jan 2018, PE seats were available to Elites as MCE on those aircraft with PE; PE are available for sale on that date.

Link to A330-200 PE and MCE additions article on The Points Guy

Link to Combined AA Fleet page

Link to (non-AA) American Fleet Site, A330-200 page.

For the specific thread about the Zodiac "Envoy" Business seat, please see AA A330 "Envoy" Lie Flat All Aisle Access Business Seats (master thread)

Also see the older, archived thread on Envoy seating on the A330: A330-200 Envoy Suites

Link to Seatguru for AA A330-200

Envoy / Business (20):
* Rows 1 to 7, 4 across, private "suites", all aisle access
* Seats A and H have windows and angle out toward windows
* Seats C and F are both in the middle, angle in toward center (no windows)
* In seat entertainment with personally selectable programming
* Bose noise reduction headsets on long-haul International flights
* Empower 110 VAC / 150 VA and USB power

Premium Economy (21):
* Rows 6, 7 and 8 in 2-3-2 layout
* Seat pitch 38"
* Seat width 18.5"
* Non-Bose noise reduction headsets on longhaul
* Empower 110 VAC / 150 VA and USB power

Main Cabin Extra (54):
* Bulkhead and Exit seats
* Others seem to be in non-standard layout
* Seat width 16.3-17.8"
* Empower 110 VAC / 150 VA

Economy (152):
* Seat pitch 31-32"
* Seat width 16.3-17.8"
* Exits at row 23
* Empower 110 VAC / 150 VA

New Livery (AA-style) of the A330-300: A333 in New Livery

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

Airbus A330-200 / 332 [master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2017, 4:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by AAflyerORD
but at least make it symmetrical for heaven's sake!
Larger (likely accessible) lav on the port side and not starboard. Split the difference in extra space among the rows of seats in that zone and you get the MCE legroom for "free" there. Makes complete sense in that context.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 10:52 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Definitely a coding error.

-FlyerBeek
What kind of coding error could possibly create a configuration like this? It's possible that releasing this new seat map was a mistake, but I don't see how something like this could be created completely by accident.

Originally Posted by dkc192
I'd argue that the 789 (and the 788 when it gets a W cabin) is the most comfortable--same 2-3-2 configuration but in a wider fuselage than the 332.

On a separate note, AA's decision to not install a true MCE section as part of the retrofit is very frustrating--so much for fleet consistency and elite perks, particularly on the TATLs that these planes will be flying.
I don't care if there's a MCE section; I care if there are MCE seats. This configuration appears to have 42, which is not bad at all. If AA can fit MCE seats in more efficiently by spreading them around the airplane based on the assymetric details of the bulkhead, door, exit, lav, and galley positions, more power to them. ^
Old Jul 21, 2017, 11:26 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The seat chart may be erroneous, given presumed MC and MCE seats are shown in rows with the same seat pitch. We'll have to see what's up with this.

In the meantime we have added a Wikipost to (top of page) this thread with links and information about the new 21 Premium Economy and 50 Main Cabin Extra configuration.

The reconfiguration should be complete in 2018, and as TPG articlevstates the PEY seats are on sale for flights 15 Jan 2018 and past that date. In the meantime, PEY will be available as MCE until that date.

As TPG states (link):

"Which A330 routes will have the premium economy seating?

American Airlines announced that the following A330 (-200) routes current have premium economy available for sale beginning January 15, 2018:

Charlotte (CLT) to Frankfurt (FRA)
Philadelphia (PHL) to Paris (CDG)
Philadelphia (PHL) to Rome (FCO)
Philadelphia (PHL) to Madrid (MAD)
Philadelphia (PHL) to Manchester (MAN)
Philadelphia (PHL) to Munich (MUC)"
Old Jul 21, 2017, 11:54 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by AAflyerORD
That's what I think. AA wouldn't make this catastrophic of an error in coding a seat map...
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
Actually I went back to the post I saw about it and now they are putting in 50 MCE seats so maybe they actually are doing it this way. Very odd configuration...
Think about how KLM has their Economy Comfort section on the 747, with that oddball galley set up they have. It uses the space well. In this case, they can add PE and MCE without removing all that many seats. Pretty decent compromise.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Does anyone else find it odd that there will be 50 MCE seats on this aircraft? It seems that with the other widebodies having a PE section (really the 789 so far), the MCE seat section is basically the exit and bulkhead rows (with maybe one additional row of MCE seats).
Old Jul 23, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: AA EXP
JDiver mentioned there is an A332 already flying with PE seats- anyone happen to know which specific registration as PE?
Old Jul 23, 2017, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Fanjet
Does anyone else find it odd that there will be 50 MCE seats on this aircraft? It seems that with the other widebodies having a PE section (really the 789 so far), the MCE seat section is basically the exit and bulkhead rows (with maybe one additional row of MCE seats).
I don't know the numbers, but this looks to my eye like the sort of configuration that could be just a rejiggering of seats: maybe with the space available for the economy section on A332s with premium economy (given the assymettry of a handicapped lav on one side but not the other someone mentioned upthread) there's a little extra room which can be distributed into several MCE rows, but not enough room for an extra row of coach without making the pitch more ridiculously short than even Doug Parker is willing to go with.

Having one, set-apart section of MCE doesn't necessarily make the best use of space in a plane.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by ACA321
JDiver mentioned there is an A332 already flying with PE seats- anyone happen to know which specific registration as PE?
Unless a member posts, we're possibly in for a wait. The American Fleet List doesn't list a reg or hull number with PE / W yet, though they're seemingly preparing for listing that given the A330-200 status chart here.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 3:07 am

Programs: Delta Diamond
Oops delete

Last edited by cboy; Jul 25, 2017 at 3:28 am
Old Jul 25, 2017, 8:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ACA321
Originally Posted by JDiver
Unless a member posts, we're possibly in for a wait. The American Fleet List doesn't list a reg or hull number with PE / W yet, though they're seemingly preparing for listing that given the A330-200 status chart here.
Can someone point to the genesis of the information that there is, presently, an A332 that already has PE installed?
Old Jul 25, 2017, 2:53 pm

I could find no genesis other than an a mistaken inference in Post #441 . I don't believe there is one flying yet.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 2:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by alien
I could find no genesis other than an a mistaken inference in Post #441 . I don't believe there is one flying yet.
Me neither.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by alien
There was a seemingly definitive post. I wish I could recall in which thread.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 7:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JDiver
There was a seemingly definitive post. I wish I could recall in which thread.
I recall it somewhat too, but it was erroneous.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC
I recall it somewhat too, but it was erroneous.
Thanks for letting us know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.