Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Non-revenue / nonrev / NRSA travel issues (terms conditions, etc.) (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 22, 2016, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Non-Revenue Space Available and Related AA Travel

NOTE: Non-revenue passengers no longer have to abide by a dress code, merely appear neat and clean, not offensive - same as revenue passengers. July 2017.
Print Wikipost

Non-revenue / nonrev / NRSA travel issues (terms conditions, etc.) (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2018, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
You can connect at ICN.

I flew CGK-ICN-DFW last year as a revenue pax. Booked through AA on 001 stock but the CGK-ICN leg was on Korean Air.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 12:07 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by doub01
How do some non-rev passengers become D1T from an international departure? I get that "T" is through but if you leave from an international departure how can they become through? For example, I've seen multiple D1T on ICN-DFW route. Any explanation would be appreciated.
To be considered a through non-rev passenger at a connecting city, you must arrive there on AA or another airline and check in for the first connecting flight to your next destination. If your inbound flight is on another airline, you have to present the boarding pass for your previous flight before receiving the through designation. You do not have to be an NRSA passenger on the inbound flight; even a boarding pass for a ticket purchased at a fare available to the general public will get you the through status.
Always Flyin and linglingfool like this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 12:12 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
How do some non-rev passengers become D1T from an international departure? I get that "T" is through but if you leave from an international departure how can they become through? For example, I've seen multiple D1T on ICN-DFW route. Any explanation would be appreciated.
Here is how it was explained to me. There are two ways to up your status to D1/2/3T at an international out-station.

First, don't clear the first flight on which you were booked as a non-rev. When you are rolled-over to the next flight, you are upped to "T" status.

Second, connect on a separate ticket and show the boarding pass. The agent will alter your status to "T".

A lot of games being played.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
People do connect at airports such as ICN
Yes, but that vaguely avoids the question. There is no AA to AA metal connection.

Originally Posted by Antarius
You can connect at ICN.

I flew CGK-ICN-DFW last year as a revenue pax. Booked through AA on 001 stock but the CGK-ICN leg was on Korean Air.
This is about AA non-rev travel. An AA non-rev ticket cannot be combined with a ZED ticket on another carrier. Separate PNRs. Has nothing to do with what you can book as a separate PNR as a revenue passenger.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 12:39 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
First, don't clear the first flight on which you were booked as a non-rev. When you are rolled-over to the next flight, you are upped to "T" status.
The highlighted portion is incorrect. When rolled over to the next flight, one keeps their original check in time, but they do not receive the through designation.

From the 2018 edition of the American Airlines Travel Guide:

If you cannot be accommodated on your desired flight, you will be transferred (if you are present) to the priority list of the next scheduled flight and will maintain priority within the same classification based on your original check-in time.
colpuck, travelgeek1197 and dfw88 like this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
I flew CNF-GRU on LATAM and then same-day NRSA'd on GRU-MIA as a D1T. All I had to do was show the agent my LATAM boarding pass and I was good to go.
TWA884 and D3Kingg like this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 7:08 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Here is how it was explained to me. There are two ways to up your status to D1/2/3T at an international out-station.

Second, connect on a separate ticket and show the boarding pass. The agent will alter your status to "T".

A lot of games being played.

Yes, but that vaguely avoids the question. There is no AA to AA metal connection.

This is about AA non-rev travel. An AA non-rev ticket cannot be combined with a ZED ticket on another carrier. Separate PNRs. Has nothing to do with what you can book as a separate PNR as a revenue passenger.
So lets say I'm traveling SIN-ICN-DFW. Does this mean I'll have to purchase a ticket for SIN-ICN since ZED ticket cannot be combined with AA in order to become D1T for ICN-DFW?
Old Aug 1, 2018, 11:00 pm

So lets say I'm traveling SIN-ICN-DFW. Does this mean I'll have to purchase a ticket for SIN-ICN since ZED ticket cannot be combined with AA in order to become D1T for ICN-DFW?
The correct rules are stated in my posts from last night. To get the D1T designation for your ICN-DFW, you must list for the first connecting flight and show the agent your boarding pass from your flight from SIN to ICN. It does not have to be on AA and it does not matter if you used a ZED or a regular/discounted fare or a mileage award ticket.

Since you are eligible for D1 and ZED travel, surely you are a spouse, a dependent or a parent an employee. Ask the employee to show you the American Airlines American Airlines Travel Guide. It is linked in the Travel section of Jetnet. The "T" or through passengers rules and procedure are explained on page 14.
JonNYC likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
The highlighted portion is incorrect. When rolled over to the next flight, one keeps their original check in time, but they do not receive the through designation.

From the 2018 edition of the American Airlines Travel Guide:
I stand corrected.

The entire process is a bit opaque. Even though eligible, I seldom non-rev.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 1:38 am

Originally Posted by TWA884
Since you are eligible for D1 and ZED travel, surely you are a spouse, a dependent or a parent an employee. Ask the employee to show you the American Airlines American Airlines Travel Guide. It is linked in the Travel section of Jetnet. The "T" or through passengers rules and procedure are explained on page 14.
Thanks. That answers a lot of the open questions I had.
Old May 21, 2019, 11:26 am
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Non-Rev on AA Question

Was wondering if anyone here has experience with non-reving, the company I am going to start work for is flying me out non-rev tomorrow, 4 legs all on one ticket. I understand I would need to check in at the airport (even though the AA app for some reason is giving me the option to check in) however only three of the legs show up on “My Trips” while the first leg isn’t shown. Is this normal?
Old May 21, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by DCP2016
Was wondering if anyone here has experience with non-reving, the company I am going to start work for is flying me out non-rev tomorrow, 4 legs all on one ticket. I understand I would need to check in at the airport (even though the AA app for some reason is giving me the option to check in) however only three of the legs show up on “My Trips” while the first leg isn’t shown. Is this normal?
It isnot normal to be flying D3 for work and violates the rules for that type of pass. You must be on a D3 because you would know if you were on a D1 or D2. Don’t tell people you are flying for work. Know the name of the employee sponsor.
linglingfool likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 11:50 am
Suspended

Was wondering if anyone here has experience with non-reving, the company I am going to start work for is flying me out non-rev tomorrow, 4 legs all on one ticket..
Feels like you should be getting more/better info from the company-- whole thing sounds a bit fishy otherwise.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 2:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by donotblink

It isnot normal to be flying D3 for work and violates the rules for that type of pass. You must be on a D3 because you would know if you were on a D1 or D2. Don’t tell people you are flying for work. Know the name of the employee sponsor.
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Feels like you should be getting more/better info from the company-- whole thing sounds a bit fishy otherwise.
Thanks for the VERY helpful information that answers my question fully. Always appreciate it. The employer is a major regional airline that has every legal reason in the world to book these types of tickets.
Old May 21, 2019, 3:17 pm

(even though the AA app for some reason is giving me the option to check in)
The employer is a major regional airline that has every legal reason in the world to book these types of tickets.
You have a positive space pass; that's why the flights show in your AA app. I have no idea why the first leg is not there; is it on AA or an American Airlines numbered flight on one of its regional carriers? If not, that's a possible explanation.

Do not use the app to check in, just follow the instructions you were given by your new employer.
JonNYC, C17PSGR and DCP2016 like this.
Old May 21, 2019, 3:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Thanks for the VERY helpful information that answers my question fully. Always appreciate it. The employer is a major regional airline that has every legal reason in the world to book these types of tickets.
OK I'll take your word for it.

Now if the employer is flying you as a D-something, or lower, non-rev on their business; then something IS wrong.

Last edited by jayer; May 21, 2019 at 4:35 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.