Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Non-revenue / nonrev / NRSA travel issues (terms conditions, etc.) (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 22, 2016, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Non-Revenue Space Available and Related AA Travel

NOTE: Non-revenue passengers no longer have to abide by a dress code, merely appear neat and clean, not offensive - same as revenue passengers. July 2017.
Print Wikipost

Non-revenue / nonrev / NRSA travel issues (terms conditions, etc.) (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2017, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by kb9522
There should be a dress code for revenue passengers as well... This is going in the wrong direction. Hopefully there is not a surge of (even more) inappropriately dressed passengers.
I'm with you on this one. What's wrong with business-casual? I've flown non-rev many times on B6 and have always thanked the crew, sometimes even help tidy up the aircraft at the end of the flight. Even in hot-weather destinations, business-casual isn't terrible.

If these benefits become a hassle for the airline, they're likely to eliminate them.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: AA EXP
All this does is further damage the already deteriorating image of AA.
Nobody will notice the difference.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
There should be a dress code for revenue passengers as well... This is going in the wrong direction. Hopefully there is not a surge of (even more) inappropriately dressed passengers.
Agreed. The slide in standards of dress has paralleled declines in standards of behavior.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by carlosdca
Based on this sentence on the referred text: I would safely assume those guidelines are for the non-revs, not for paying pax.
I was alluding to the OP's statement that "Non-rev traveler dress standard will be the same as revenue customers." If so, then the quoted rules would apply to everyone.

But I do find it odd too that the text seems to say that non-revs HAVE TO wear the AA provided PJs.
I don't read it that way -- I think "always okay" means it's allowed but not required.

And if anything, is the FA going to come and say "hey, don't wear your Minnie Mouse PJS, you have to change to the AA PJs or we will head back to the airport to deplane you"?
AA would certainly have options other than deplaning to impose consequences on a non-compliant non-rev employee (or the employee on whose pass the non-rev is traveling).
Old Jul 20, 2017, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
In years of flying with AA domestic F, Y or international J, I have never really seen anything that is particularly offensive.
I have not seen things are "getting worse" either.

I am 100% positive that there will never be a rule banning shorts or flip flops or exposed feet from flights in any class (for revenue pax).

Also as said above, that a non-rev shows up dressed rather informally will not affect the brand at all. Nobody will know he/she is a non-rev.

Good news to all those flying non-rev.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA
In years of flying with AA domestic F, Y or international J, I have never really seen anything that is particularly offensive.
I have not seen things are "getting worse" either.

I am 100% positive that there will never be a rule banning shorts or flip flops or exposed feet from flights in any class (for revenue pax).

Also as said above, that a non-rev shows up dressed rather informally will not affect the brand at all. Nobody will know he/she is a non-rev.

Good news to all those flying non-rev.
I agree for the most part - even in International F (although it is sometimes obvious who the non-revs are through their interaction with the crew). Most AA employees know to look decent and blend in. I think where this will break down is "buddy pass" level non-rev travel. I was just traveling ORD-PEK and the check-in agent showed me the PALL list for the flight, where I saw 'DRESS' written a couple of times next to people's names. She told me they were people using one-time passes, who showed up wearing saggy basketball shorts and flip flops -- banned by the prior rules, and asked to change [and not "offensive" per se in my opinion, but doesn't fit in with everyone else]. If you look at the people picking up standby boarding passes at the gate, you can often see similar questionably-dressed people.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 4:44 pm

Another vote to lift standards, instead of the lowest common denominator, I would prefer to see a rising tide lifts all boats approach.

It does not have to be black tie, but what one would wear to a reasonable restaurant. (i.e. not one where they give you a tray at the counter)
Old Jul 20, 2017, 5:22 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by DoctorORD
If you look at the people picking up standby boarding passes at the gate, you can often see similar questionably-dressed people.
Not all the people standing by and waiting for boarding passes at the gate are non-revs. Quite often they include the OS's on the PALL list, people without seat assignments, elite FF members standing by for earlier flights (RV) and folks who missed their earlier flights who are being accommodated under the so-called Flat Tire Rule (RL). Based upon my casual observations over the years, the RL's tend to be the worst dressed of all.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 6:16 pm
Suspended

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by TWA884
Not all the people standing by and waiting for boarding passes at the gate are non-revs. Quite often they include the OS's on the PALL list, people without seat assignments, elite FF members standing by for earlier flights (RV) and folks who missed their earlier flights who are being accommodated under the so-called Flat Tire Rule (RL). Based upon my casual observations over the years, the RL's tend to be the worst dressed of all.
Absolutely
Old Jul 20, 2017, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Aspen
Another vote to lift standards, instead of the lowest common denominator, I would prefer to see a rising tide lifts all boats approach.

It does not have to be black tie, but what one would wear to a reasonable restaurant. (i.e. not one where they give you a tray at the counter)
Simply not going to happen.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 8:57 am

This new policy is not un-expected. AA doesn't even enforce the dress code for its cabin crew.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 10:27 am

question about amount of seats (LAX-HND NRSA, Buddy Pass)

Hey guys.

Question for everyone.

So I'm flying from LAX-HND on Oct 11th. I'm going as a NON-REV in business class (trying for it). When looking up on AA retire website about what space is available, it says that there are only 5 seats open in business class, but when I check Expert flyer it shows 13 open seats though? What am I missing here? Why does one say 5 seats yet the other shows 13? Does it mean that 8 people bought tickets but have not chosen a seat yet?

Thanks for everyone's input

Brandon
Old Sep 11, 2017, 10:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Seat maps do not mean anything. AA could have those seats blocked for all kinds of reasons.

As to what is likely available, I presume that an AA employee is sponsoring you. That person will have load information available to you and can properly advise you as to your chances.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
FT is not a particularly useful place to ask questions about NRSA (Non-Revenue, Space Available) travel, since most of us don't have any experience with it. I have very limited experiences as a non-rev and most of them weren't very pleasant. As you will be told numerous times, seat maps are not a reliable indicator of the number of available seats for a lot of reasons (not the least of which could be that coach may be oversold and they will end up doing a cabin roll).

However, there is an even more reliable source, which would be to ask the sponsor of your buddy pass to check the loads for you. They can see exactly how many seats are sold in each cabin. I am assuming that you are flying on a buddy pass and not the not the employee/passholder yourself (because otherwise you would know how to answer your question).

You should also wait until much closer to the departure date to check the loads. There may be 5 seats today but a month is a long time, especially for business class, which tends to attract last minute sales. Even if there are 5 seats the day before the flight, this is not always a good indication you will be successful (in part, because there may be other NRSAs ahead of you in the pecking order and they may list at the last minute).
Old Sep 11, 2017, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by wetrat0
FT is not a particularly useful place to ask questions about NRSA (Non-Revenue, Space Available) travel, since most of us don't have any experience with it. I have very limited experiences as a non-rev and most of them weren't very pleasant. As you will be told numerous times, seat maps are not a reliable indicator of the number of available seats for a lot of reasons (not the least of which could be that coach may be oversold and they will end up doing a cabin roll).

However, there is an even more reliable source, which would be to ask the sponsor of your buddy pass to check the loads for you. They can see exactly how many seats are sold in each cabin. I am assuming that you are flying on a buddy pass and not the not the employee/passholder yourself (because otherwise you would know how to answer your question).

You should also wait until much closer to the departure date to check the loads. There may be 5 seats today but a month is a long time, especially for business class, which tends to attract last minute sales. Even if there are 5 seats the day before the flight, this is not always a good indication you will be successful (in part, because there may be other NRSAs ahead of you in the pecking order and they may list at the last minute).
Unfortunately the person who is allowing me to travel as a non-rev doesn't have that information since he does not work for AA anymore. Coach is not oversold, I know that.

Thanks for the help guys.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.