Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Non-revenue / nonrev / NRSA travel issues (terms conditions, etc.) (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 22, 2016, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Non-Revenue Space Available and Related AA Travel

NOTE: Non-revenue passengers no longer have to abide by a dress code, merely appear neat and clean, not offensive - same as revenue passengers. July 2017.
Print Wikipost

Non-revenue / nonrev / NRSA travel issues (terms conditions, etc.) (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2017, 9:59 am

Programs: Aadvantage, Skymiles
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I thought the relaxed dress code was announced months (if not over a year) ago?
Yes, it was relaxed, but not entirely done away with. This announcement ends a non-rev dress code completely.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Wow, when I started at AA in the 90's, it was suit and tie in F and J (domestic and international). That was a bit tough when you were going to Hawaii. I remember several times waiting 4 hours at HNL in a suit and tie. Yes, people stared -- and it was uncomfortable.

OTOH, some people have no common sense in dressing. I agree with the shorts comment -- they don't clean those seats very often. I live in PHX and I would never wear shorts on a plane.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
There should be a dress code for revenue passengers as well... This is going in the wrong direction. Hopefully there is not a surge of (even more) inappropriately dressed passengers.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 2:55 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
From the most recent edition of the American Airlines Travel Guide:

Dress guidelines while traveling

For most of us, being comfortable in flight extends to the clothes we wear. American doesn’t have a prescribed dress code for our non-revenue guests. So, as long as your clothing is neat and clean and doesn’t offend or distract, you’re good to fly in any class (including premium cabins). If you’re looking for more specifics, here are a few:

• When we say offensive or distractive, we mean you shouldn’t wear anything that’s overly revealing (like super short shorts or something that is sheer or see through). That also extends to swimwear or sleepwear (of course it’s always okay to change into your American-provided pajamas if you’re lucky to snag a First Class seat on a premium international flight!)
  • It also means to avoid any attire that is vulgar or violates community standards of decency
  • When in doubt, ask yourself, “Do I blend in with customers?” If so, you’re probably set
Old Jul 19, 2017, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by kb9522
There should be a dress code for revenue passengers as well... This is going in the wrong direction. Hopefully there is not a surge of (even more) inappropriately dressed passengers.

Old Jul 19, 2017, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
As a former non-rev, about time. I am 100% ok with the still needing to be clean and appropriate, but I don't see what the point is treating them differently than anyone else. The goal for airlines with non-revs is to have them blend in so it's not insanely obvious who is who.

It's always been a crap shoot anyhow. On one of my last non-rev adventures in the day I was in international F, I had on a polo and dress pants, and they let another non-rev in F that had on shorts, sandals, and a tank-top. I personally don't care, but some GA's would almost faint if you showed up to non-rev in that.

Now the question is, are all GA's going to get the memo? Are we still going to have GA's that consider yoga pants a no-go, while 99% of other GA's consider them ok.

I'd say this is a nice move for AA for their employees, especially these days as seating becomes more uncomfortable and tighter year after year.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 6:08 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Old School

I am old school on so many different levels.

Flying in the 50s, 60s, into the 70s one dressed up (Take look at the airport scenes at the end of "Bullitt". Look at how everyone is dressed).

In the mid 70s and on it got looser, probably as airfares got lower and deregulation (of the airlines). Greyhound died and their clients sprouted wings.

Most of my travel has been on business, even through this year, requiring a suit. Vacations were slacks, shirt, and jacket.

Sunday I fly back to CDG, in J. Now that I'm semi-retired, 75% of the time I wear, in Dallas, around the house and town, nice flaps (oxymoron?), nice shorts, and a nice un-golfed-in golf shirt. Sunday, you will find me in DFW in hard shoes, socks, slacks, a REALLY nice un golfed-in golf shirt, and a jacket.

I see nothing wrong with clear standards.

YMMV
Old Jul 19, 2017, 6:52 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I'm very happy to see this too!!! ^

I think I've shared at some point, but I worked at the America West HQ for about 2 years in the early 2000s. I remember they had a special class to go through non-rev travel, how to book, how to manage, and what to do day of, etc. I had access to SHARES as part of my job, and my manager made sure all of us knew how to use it.

It was completely silly that we couldn't wear blue jeans if we wanted to get upgraded to F...but black, tan, or any other color was fine. And yes I invested in jeans that weren't blue.
I didn't so much mind the, "shirt with a collar," part as much.

While I did get to travel to some places that I probably wouldn't have, most notably ANC, in the end the benefit turned into not so much of a benefit at all. Crowded planes, when you did get on sitting in middle seats, and other things...all contributed fo me moving on.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 7:58 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by DataPlumber

Old Jul 19, 2017, 11:40 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
Flying in the 50s, 60s, into the 70s one dressed up (Take look at the airport scenes at the end of "Bullitt". Look at how everyone is dressed).
There's an old episode of The Andy Griffith Show. Aunt Bee and some friends go on a trip to Mexico. Andy and Opie don't go on the trip, but they both wear jacket and tie just to take her to the airport and see her off.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by TWA884
From the most recent edition of the American Airlines Travel Guide:
Are these actually the same rules applied to revenue pax? The part specifying AA-provided pajamas seems odd. By specifying F, it ignores that pajamas are provided in J on HKG and SYD routes. Also, I did not think it would be a problem for revenue pax to wear non-AA pajamas, or AA pajamas that were not provided on that flight but saved from a previous flight.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 5:11 am
Suspended

I think a minimum requirement should be in force for intercontinental routes in premier cabins. Domestic should be totally free as premier seats are very difficult for non-rev. But for intercontinental routes, a minimum requirement should be there if you want to travel a premium cabin.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 8:57 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
Are these actually the same rules applied to revenue pax? The part specifying AA-provided pajamas seems odd. By specifying F, it ignores that pajamas are provided in J on HKG and SYD routes. Also, I did not think it would be a problem for revenue pax to wear non-AA pajamas, or AA pajamas that were not provided on that flight but saved from a previous flight.
Based on this sentence on the referred text:
American doesn’t have a prescribed dress code for our non-revenue guests.
I would safely assume those guidelines are for the non-revs, not for paying pax.

But I do find it odd too that the text seems to say that non-revs HAVE TO wear the AA provided PJs. My guess is that that's not what they were trying to say (it probably meant something like of course you can wear PJs on long haul flights with flat bed seats, and hey, BTW, AA provides you some nice ones, arn't we nice?)

And if anything, is the FA going to come and say "hey, don't wear your Minnie Mouse PJS, you have to change to the AA PJs or we will head back to the airport to deplane you"?
Old Jul 20, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by carlosdca

And if anything, is the FA going to come and say "hey, don't wear your Minnie Mouse PJS, you have to change to the AA PJs or we will head back to the airport to deplane you"?
I'd say odds of FA's caring will be about zero. They have more important things going on then paying attention to every non-rev.

It was not uncommon for me to get cleared in premium cabin wearing my nice clothes, and then once on-board hurrying into the bathroom and changing into a hoodie and jogger sweats. FA's never cared that I was not wearing business casual anymore, so I really doubt they would care now that the policy has been relaxed to be honest.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 10:20 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Controversy regarding how passengers dress aside, it seems like a misguided decision. I view non-revs as representing the carrier assuming the cost for them to fly. I would not want my business to be represented by the clearance rack at Walmart. All this does is further damage the already deteriorating image of AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.