Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Non-revenue / nonrev / NRSA travel issues (terms conditions, etc.) (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 22, 2016, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Non-Revenue Space Available and Related AA Travel

NOTE: Non-revenue passengers no longer have to abide by a dress code, merely appear neat and clean, not offensive - same as revenue passengers. July 2017.
Print Wikipost

Non-revenue / nonrev / NRSA travel issues (terms conditions, etc.) (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2021, 8:43 am

Programs: Platinum Pro. .Hilton Honors Gold,
Originally Posted by kszary
You're misinterpreting my comment. I'm saying AA doesn't care about the D3 with regard to potential discipline. It's about the sponsoring employee.
Because some people frown upon D3s assuming they have no affiliation with American and are less important than higher seniority non revs. I don’t think it’s even worth the time and resources for American to enforce non rev codes of conduct anymore. What matters is the bottom line.

Last edited by Microwave; Oct 8, 2021 at 3:07 pm Reason: Edited quote of edited post
Old Oct 7, 2021, 9:43 am

Programs: Costco Club
Originally Posted by D3KingAmerican
They should delete the PNR but as long as they don’t check in they would be fine. Do you think all gate agents are out to get other employees in trouble ? It’s possible if he boarded with both seats and the gate agent realizes this they might just come on board point a finger and say “don’t do this ever again”. Surely he will then clear the lump in his throat and never do it again.
I was a customer service manager for AA until last year when I took a furlough package. I’ve disciplined employees for non-rev misconduct and I can tell you that the majority of the investigations we undertake is from other employees reporting it.
D3Kingg likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by standbyalldtime
You should request this thread to be deleted immediately, and immediately cancel your D3 booking. Just the act of holding a standby listing and a confirmed ticket at the same time is grounds for the employee permanently losing travel privileges, and possibly termination. Doubly more so if you actually follow through with your plan, because the gate agent will 100% report this behavior.
Why delete it? Nothing in his/her post reveals personal info.
And it is good to remind people of what happens when policies are violated.

Originally Posted by D3KingAmerican
AA doesn’t care about D3?

I don’t think AA or even flyer talk care about non revs. They don’t affect the bottom line.

But yes there are some abusers out there in regards to the PNR and on certain routes.
Non revs do affect the bottom line, if they are holding a paid booking in addition to D3, because that may prevent sales.
They wouldn't care as much if there wasn't an effect on revenue

Last edited by Microwave; Oct 8, 2021 at 3:10 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts for readability & edited quote of edited post
Old Oct 8, 2021, 2:57 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by sman83
I am on the standby list as a D3, for the possible upgrade to 1st and I also have a paid ticket for the main cabin, didn't want to miss my flight. It appears my flight out should be okay for upgrades under the D3 but the flights back are nearly full and my paid ticket may be needed.

Any thoughts on this? I am wondering how to avoid any issues AA may have with this.
And I’ll go ahead and merge this into the extant thread we have on the niche topic of nonrev travel.

~Moderator
Old Oct 8, 2021, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sman83
Hi Everyone,

I am on the standby list as a D3, for the possible upgrade to 1st and I also have a paid ticket for the main cabin, didn't want to miss my flight. It appears my flight out should be okay for upgrades under the D3 but the flights back are nearly full and my paid ticket may be needed.

Any thoughts on this? I am wondering how to avoid any issues AA may have with this.
If you fail to use the outbound revenue ticket, the return will be automatically cancelled.

Since you don't want to miss your flight, I would suggest you not non-rev.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 11:27 am

ID90/Non-Rev "on Alaska" but on AA metal ?

Hello all:

My company has a pass agreement for ID90/Non-Rev travel on Alaska Airlines, and other airlines. It does not have this agreement with American Airlines.

I am seeking to fly between two cities in the future, and magically, Alaska offers this route with the departure times I need. Upon further research however, this actual flight (with an Alaska Airlines flight number) is on an American Airlines aircraft (737).

Any idea if this is still possible? Or will the gate agent shut me down?

Thank you. Email also sent to my travel folks, but it is Sunday so wanted to see if I could get a "real world" answer here

Thanks
Old Feb 20, 2022, 12:08 pm

Programs: lots of little things
No, that is an AA flight. You won't get as far as successfully listing let alone checking in and waiting for seats. Marketing carriers are irrelevant in industry travel.
Tanic, TravelerMSY and PA34 like this.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by dc333
No, that is an AA flight. You won't get as far as successfully listing let alone checking in and waiting for seats. Marketing carriers are irrelevant in industry travel.
Thank you very much.
dc333 likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 2:47 am

Programs: IAMAW Local 368/HAL 2 Star Mariner
Originally Posted by PA34
Hello all:

My company has a pass agreement for ID90/Non-Rev travel on Alaska Airlines, and other airlines. It does not have this agreement with American Airlines.

I am seeking to fly between two cities in the future, and magically, Alaska offers this route with the departure times I need. Upon further research however, this actual flight (with an Alaska Airlines flight number) is on an American Airlines aircraft (737).

Any idea if this is still possible? Or will the gate agent shut me down?

Thank you. Email also sent to my travel folks, but it is Sunday so wanted to see if I could get a "real world" answer here

Thanks
As an airline employee and frequent user of ID90/ MYIDTRAVEL what you’re proposing wouldn’t work for many reasons namely that there’s an embargo under notices on the main page saying codeshares are not ticketable for most airlines.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 2:06 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Non Rev Rules / Etiquette question

We have to fly a family member to a domestic destination due to a family situation. There are two options: (1) I can purchase a ticket with miles. Seats are available albeit at an inflated cost. (2) Another family member could fly him non-rev (AA), but there is no availability at the moment.

Question: If I purchase an award ticket with miles, and nonrev quota opens up later, will it be ok for me to cancel my award and for him to switch to the nonrev ticket?

We don't want to offend AA, nor do I want to spend miles that don't have to be spent, but I couldn't find any clear statement of rules covering the situation.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 4:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by aktchi
Question: If I purchase an award ticket with miles, and nonrev quota opens up later, will it be ok for me to cancel my award and for him to switch to the nonrev ticket?

We don't want to offend AA, nor do I want to spend miles that don't have to be spent, but I couldn't find any clear statement of rules covering the situation.
I'd strongly encourage you to ask the sponsoring employee. However - generally speaking - it's completely unacceptable and prohibited to cancel a confirmed positive space ticket (whether booked using cash or miles) and switch to the same routing on the same day as NRSA. Such behavior can result in loss of nonrev privileges (and worse) for the sponsoring employee.

-FlyerBeek
aktchi, TWA884 and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 4:25 am

Programs: Jetblue, Turkish, Hilton Gold, Spirit Gold
You cannot have two reservations on the same flight in any airline, regardless of being paid, reward or nonrev PNR.

Also if the flight is already booked full, nonrev space would only open after check-in closure, so your reward booking would become a no-show.
aktchi likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 4:26 am

Programs: Jetblue, Turkish, Hilton Gold, Spirit Gold
Duplicate - please delete
Old Mar 16, 2022, 5:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by ovacikar
You cannot have two reservations on the same flight in any airline, regardless of being paid, reward or nonrev PNR...
That's beside the point. I'm pretty sure the poster was thinking of cancelling the confirmed booking and switching to NRSA if it looked likely they would clear. There's nothing technically preventing them from doing so, but it's definitely a prohibited practice.

-FlyerBeek
aktchi likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 6:38 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
That's beside the point. I'm pretty sure the poster was thinking of cancelling the confirmed booking and switching to NRSA if it looked likely they would clear. There's nothing technically preventing them from doing so, but it's definitely a prohibited practice.
Is there a policy document available stating this and other prohibitions? What if they were different flights but same date? I suppose it would be a non-issue if the dates were different. Thanks. (And yes I was not thinking of trying to hold 2 simultaneous reservations, but canceling one and only then making the other.)

Last edited by aktchi; Mar 16, 2022 at 7:18 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.