Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Non-revenue / nonrev / NRSA travel issues (terms conditions, etc.) (consolidated)

Non-revenue / nonrev / NRSA travel issues (terms conditions, etc.) (consolidated)

    Hide Wikipost
Old May 21, 19, 3:47 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Non-Revenue Space Available and Related AA Travel

NOTE: Non-revenue passengers no longer have to abide by a dress code, merely appear neat and clean, not offensive - same as revenue passengers. July 2017.
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 19, 10, 4:24 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 45
Non-revenue / nonrev / NRSA travel issues (terms conditions, etc.) (consolidated)

Hello

My neice works for AA and offered to buy me tickets on a trip to Australia and that would get me a discount of roughly 50% (which is great!)

I would like to know if I can add my AAdvantage number to my trip or make a claim for the miles later on and get a good chunk of miles added?

Thank you

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE


For general information, please see this new wiki page: http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php...ravel_%28AA%29

Note that FlyerTalk is probably not the best place to inquire about non-revenue travel rules, since most FT members are regular passengers. Those with travel privileges are encouraged to contact AA or their sponsoring AA employee directly for detailed, up-to-date information. Those interested in airline careers may also want to check another bulletin board that is frequented by airline employees: http://www.airlineforums.com

dstan
AA Forum Co-Moderator

Last edited by dstan; Apr 21, 11 at 7:33 pm
dawizard is offline  
Old Sep 19, 10, 4:26 pm
  #2  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 9,028
Better off just asking your niece.
izzik is offline  
Old Sep 19, 10, 4:29 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
Posts: 2,780
You cannot earn miles on non-revenue or industry discount tickets.
RxCapt is offline  
Old Sep 19, 10, 4:33 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,630
Originally Posted by dawizard View Post
Hello

My neice works for AA and offered to buy me tickets on a trip to Australia and that would get me a discount of roughly 50% (which is great!)

I would like to know if I can add my AAdvantage number to my trip or make a claim for the miles later on and get a good chunk of miles added?

Thank you
needs to be a published fare
see AA.COM for valid fares to obtain milage credit
zman is offline  
Old Sep 19, 10, 4:38 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 45
Originally Posted by zman View Post
needs to be a published fare
see AA.COM for valid fares to obtain milage credit
So if she's booking it for me, I won't really be assigned a "class" which in turn would disqualify me from getting miles, correct?

Does it matter that I am still paying 50% of the cost?
dawizard is offline  
Old Sep 19, 10, 5:18 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SEA
Programs: AA EXP; HH Diamond
Posts: 2,305
Originally Posted by dawizard View Post
So if she's booking it for me, I won't really be assigned a "class" which in turn would disqualify me from getting miles, correct?

Does it matter that I am still paying 50% of the cost?
Yes, you will have a "class" even as a non-rev.
tkelvin69 is offline  
Old Sep 19, 10, 5:34 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SJC/VCE
Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Posts: 10,161
Originally Posted by dawizard View Post
So if she's booking it for me, I won't really be assigned a "class" which in turn would disqualify me from getting miles, correct?

Does it matter that I am still paying 50% of the cost?
The only way for anyone here to provide a viable answer to your inquiry is for you to ask your niece for the specific booking class and post it here.

FYI, AAdvantage members earn reduced mileage on discount Qantas flights so you probably won't be missing out on a "good chunk of miles".
bdemaria is offline  
Old Sep 19, 10, 5:56 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,630
Originally Posted by dawizard View Post
So if she's booking it for me, I won't really be assigned a "class" which in turn would disqualify me from getting miles, correct?

Does it matter that I am still paying 50% of the cost?
You will be assigned a booking code/class. If it is a listed booking code on AA for mileage you will get credit.
Discounted tickets based on a published fare are available for mileage credit

Eligible American Airlines/American Eagle Fare Classes* Class of Service Purchased Fares
Booked In: Mileage Accrual Percentage
First Class A, F, P 100% + 50% bonus
Business Class D, I, J, R 100% + 25% bonus
Full Fare Economy Class Y, B 100%
Discount Economy Class H, K, M, L, W, V 100%
Deep Discount Economy Class G, Q, N, O**, S 100%

* American Airlines reserves the right to change the eligible fare classes at any time without notice.
** Tickets between North America and Latin America booked in O are not eligible for mileage credit.
zman is offline  
Old Sep 19, 10, 6:22 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 45
Originally Posted by bdemaria View Post
The only way for anyone here to provide a viable answer to your inquiry is for you to ask your niece for the specific booking class and post it here.

FYI, AAdvantage members earn reduced mileage on discount Qantas flights so you probably won't be missing out on a "good chunk of miles".
Yes I'll check with her but she told me she was making such an arrangement for first time and wasn't sure herself. I was hoping someone who had a similar experience would comment just to be sure.

Per another comment where my ticket would be assigned a class, then if I file for mileage credit after the trip how will they know whether or not it was a discounted ticket?
dawizard is offline  
Old Sep 19, 10, 6:23 pm
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 45
Originally Posted by zman View Post
You will be assigned a booking code/class. If it is a listed booking code on AA for mileage you will get credit.
Discounted tickets based on a published fare are available for mileage credit

Eligible American Airlines/American Eagle Fare Classes* Class of Service Purchased Fares
Booked In: Mileage Accrual Percentage
First Class A, F, P 100% + 50% bonus
Business Class D, I, J, R 100% + 25% bonus
Full Fare Economy Class Y, B 100%
Discount Economy Class H, K, M, L, W, V 100%
Deep Discount Economy Class G, Q, N, O**, S 100%

* American Airlines reserves the right to change the eligible fare classes at any time without notice.
** Tickets between North America and Latin America booked in O are not eligible for mileage credit.
Thanks for the details zman, I think that kind of answers my question. I was just worried that I won't get any mileage because I am getting an employee-discounted ticket...so sounds like if I get First class I'll get the 100% + 50% mileage.
dawizard is offline  
Old Sep 19, 10, 6:24 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hotlanta.
Programs: I've gone underground!
Posts: 3,448
Originally Posted by dawizard View Post
Per another comment where my ticket would be assigned a class, then if I file for mileage credit after the trip how will they know whether or not it was a discounted ticket?
Because it will be given a fare code/booking code whose rules say "no miles".

I can 99.999999% guarantee that you won't earn miles.
emma dog is offline  
Old Sep 19, 10, 6:25 pm
  #12  
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SJC
Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Posts: 32,557
Originally Posted by dawizard View Post
Thanks for the details zman, I think that kind of answers my question. I was just worried that I won't get any mileage because I am getting an employee-discounted ticket...so sounds like if I get First class I'll get the 100% + 50% mileage.
As others have said,it is highly doubtful that you will get any mileage for an employee discounted ticket. Could it happen? Sure. But I wouldn't count on it.

Cheers.
brp is offline  
Old Sep 19, 10, 6:25 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hotlanta.
Programs: I've gone underground!
Posts: 3,448
Originally Posted by dawizard View Post
Thanks for the details zman, I think that kind of answers my question. I was just worried that I won't get any mileage because I am getting an employee-discounted ticket...so sounds like if I get First class I'll get the 100% + 50% mileage.
Nope. The 100%+50% is first class with "A, F, or P" booking codes. You'll get something else like R which doesn't earn miles.
emma dog is offline  
Old Sep 19, 10, 6:50 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Valley of the Sun
Programs: AA PLT, Bonvoy PLT +, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 10,966
Why doesn't you neice just use a D3 pass for you which is a lot less then 50%..

Originally Posted by dawizard View Post
Hello

My neice works for AA and offered to buy me tickets on a trip to Australia and that would get me a discount of roughly 50% (which is great!)

I would like to know if I can add my AAdvantage number to my trip or make a claim for the miles later on and get a good chunk of miles added?

Thank you
FlightNurse is offline  
Old Sep 19, 10, 7:04 pm
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 45
Red face

Originally Posted by emma dog View Post
Nope. The 100%+50% is first class with "A, F, or P" booking codes. You'll get something else like R which doesn't earn miles.
Thanks for the feedback everyone, doesn't look like I should count on the miles. I was thinking a trip to Australia might help complete a challenge but doesn't look like it'll happen this time around
dawizard is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: