Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Non-revenue / nonrev / NRSA travel issues (terms conditions, etc.) (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 22, 2016, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Non-Revenue Space Available and Related AA Travel

NOTE: Non-revenue passengers no longer have to abide by a dress code, merely appear neat and clean, not offensive - same as revenue passengers. July 2017.
Print Wikipost

Non-revenue / nonrev / NRSA travel issues (terms conditions, etc.) (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2012, 7:40 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Deltican
I can D2 and have a couple of times. This is NOT as much fun as people think that it is. Going from getting an UG 100 hours out, to standing at a gate, watching everyone board then having someone call your name, can be a tad bit unnerving to us OCD types.

My situation was that I was trying to get back to DFW from SFO and was about 25th on the list.. the TA suggested that she cancel the non rev and I do an award ticket or pay.. I took the award ticket. I don't know all the rules.. like I said I would rather pay than go through all that hassle to not go some where.
Maybe you or I wouldn't but there are plenty of people that will. On one of my recent flights there were NRSAs sleeping at the AA gates at Logan sporting J pillows, duvets, and even an onboard insert with munchies to last them for the night.

We heard about the family in SLC that "couldn't afford" any other way to travel, made an appeal to the media and someone offered them confirmed travel. Makes no sense to me, if you can't afford to travel don't travel its not difficult people. Sure I'd rather own a more extravagant automobile, purchase more homes, etc but we all have to live within our means.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:58 am

AA Service-Waived Pass Travel?

Greetings fellow AAers--

Does anyone know if AA offers service-waived unlimited employee travel in coach on AA flights within a matter of weeks from getting hired? I've worked at US and UA--both have service-waived unlimited coach travel for both domestic and international. I've also heard DL has similar (if not better). However, I've heard AA has had a 2 year probationary period until employees are eligible for service-waived D3 travel...I would think AA would keep competitive with these industry benefits and make some travel unlimited for employees...does anyone know if there are still service fees for new AA employees? Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 5:52 am

Staff travel/non-rev?

Dear AA experts

I am not sure of the term used. Basically we are UK based and my partner has been offered by AA friend to be on their staff travel. I used to be on the BA staff travel which meant I could fly cheap on almost any airline.

Does anybody here have any experience how it works with AA, is it only AA flights? Personally I do not miss the "standby" days too much.

Thanks in advanced
Old Jun 10, 2013, 5:55 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by Polomarc
we are UK based and my partner has been offered by AA friend to be on their staff travel. I used to be on the BA staff travel which meant I could fly cheap on almost any airline.

Does anybody here have any experience how it works with AA, is it only AA flights?
While FlyerTalk is not a primary source for information on NRSA travel, these questions do come up from time to time and I've gone ahead and merged your question into the relevant thread on this topic. It may be worth reading through some of the more recent posts, but in the end you should consider the AA employee making the offer to be your primary source of information on what the travel benefits being offered are. @:-) Good luck!

~Moderator
Old Jun 10, 2013, 10:30 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Polomarc
Dear AA experts

I am not sure of the term used. Basically we are UK based and my partner has been offered by AA friend to be on their staff travel. I used to be on the BA staff travel which meant I could fly cheap on almost any airline.

Does anybody here have any experience how it works with AA, is it only AA flights? Personally I do not miss the "standby" days too much.

Thanks in advanced
You are more likely to have those questions answered on AirlineForums.com, a site frequented by airline employees.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
You are more likely to have those questions answered on AirlineForums.com, a site frequented by airline employees.
Thanks, and I have also asked OH to check with the friend how it works. Maybe US trip coming up
Old Jun 10, 2013, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA, Southwest, Hilton, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Mnxhr78
Greetings fellow AAers--

Does anyone know if AA offers service-waived unlimited employee travel in coach on AA flights within a matter of weeks from getting hired? I've worked at US and UA--both have service-waived unlimited coach travel for both domestic and international. I've also heard DL has similar (if not better). However, I've heard AA has had a 2 year probationary period until employees are eligible for service-waived D3 travel...I would think AA would keep competitive with these industry benefits and make some travel unlimited for employees...does anyone know if there are still service fees for new AA employees? Thanks in advance.
You get unlimited for yourself from day one of employment and 24 one way passes for your registered companion and D3s. However, you do have to pay Y service charges until five years of seniority and you always have to pay for J and F travel and Y international.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA-3MM-ExPLT
Originally Posted by F&B767
24 one way passes for your registered companion and D3s.
As a D3, you are at the bottom of the list. With flight loads north of 80%, there are very limited opportunities to take advantage of the 'benefit', but it does happen that you'll get on-board. Middle seat and be happy for it.

But if you are going places nobody else wants to go, or truly off-season, it can be fine.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 9:44 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by F&B767
You get unlimited for yourself from day one of employment and 24 one way passes for your registered companion and D3s. However, you do have to pay Y service charges until five years of seniority and you always have to pay for J and F travel and Y international.
Actually, Y international is free of service charges after 25 years (but such travel is still subject to various governmental fees and taxes).

Originally Posted by BStrauss3
As a D3, you are at the bottom of the list. With flight loads north of 80%, there are very limited opportunities to take advantage of the 'benefit', but it does happen that you'll get on-board. Middle seat and be happy for it.

But if you are going places nobody else wants to go, or truly off-season, it can be fine.
Heck, I know many D1 and D2 travelers who have been having trouble getting on recently. Most flights are full and revenue standbys trump non-revs (as they should).
Old Jun 11, 2013, 3:27 am

Thanks again for the replies.

If we plan to travel to the US + doing some domestic travel (DWF, MCI, LAX, NY) in August and one of us is D3 (I assume that is the status she got) it might too risky.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 6:47 am

Programs: AA-3MM-ExPLT
Originally Posted by TWA884
Heck, I know many D1 and D2 travelers who have been having trouble getting on recently. Most flights are full and revenue standbys trump non-revs (as they should).
Back when, as the spouse, I spent 3 days trying to get out of London. DW, travelling for business had a revenue ticket, and the only reason I got out was that I used my D1 for the year. And then I hit a thunderstorm in DFW that cancelled those flights so I jumped to TUL because there's ALWAYS a morning from TUL maintenance base returning something to service in DFW and they only sell the smallest aircraft it could be. Except THAT morning they cancelled TUL-DFW so I bought a revenue ticket on WN and shared a cab back to my car at DFW with a dead-heading pilot. 4 days later than planned.

But seriously, understand the down-side of NR, rolling stand-by...

What THAT means is that you get to LHR at 5am to put your name on the list for stand-bye to ORD.

You roll from AA 99 at 7:45 AM to AA 87 at 10:15 AM to AA 47 at 12:50 pm and then to AA 79 (DFW) at 3:00 PM and the finally to AA 91 at 5:15 pm. You never leave the gate area for the day.

Then you book a cheap hotel for the night off the 2 pound Hotel-Hoppa bus line, have dinner, one drink and repeat. By the 2nd day, you know all the other NRs by sight if not name and the GAs know you too. They look at you sadly when you register and say "sorry, but we're oversold by 26 today and it really doesn't look good".

Now that's the worst case - when times are good for the airline. We have friends who remember the good times for NR (bad days for the airlines) when they showed up Friday afternoon at the airport with a cold bag and a warm bag, looking at the monitor, "Where do we want to go THIS weekend".
Old Jun 15, 2013, 6:43 am

Programs: AA plat, SPG gold

I was stranded in AMS for a week once when trying to non rev on DL. By the second day I knew all the others by face and every night we would all get together in an area packed with lounge chairs to sleep. Ended up getting an award ticket to get home
Old Jun 15, 2013, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by lakers6902
I was stranded in AMS for a week once when trying to non rev on DL. By the second day I knew all the others by face and every night we would all get together in an area packed with lounge chairs to sleep. Ended up getting an award ticket to get home
Reminds me of my NRSA days flying between the West Coast and Hawaii......

A good buddy was getting married in the islands. "Come on over," he said, "it's going to be one heck of a great party!". And so I non-revved over to HNL on a Friday evening in biz class on a three class CO DC-10-30 and then caught the last flight of the night to OGG.

That Sunday on Maui, the usual tradewinds had reversed at OGG so the Delta L-1011 had to be downloaded by about 50 pax in order to reduce the takeoff weight. Needless to say, none of the standbys got on. And if I remember correctly, even some revenue customers got left behind. Of course, I had to be at work early the next day in California.....

"No problem", I thought, as I grabbed an HA pass in my backpack and ran down the concourse to where a Hawaiian Air DC-9 was getting ready to push for HNL. I think I was the last person to board as there were just a few seats left.

Back in the day, I had pass privileges on just about everybody except UA. At HNL, the AA, CO and NW DC-10 flights to LAX appeared to be full.....however, it looked like there were some first class seats left on a DL L-1011. And indeed there were! However, a new challenge appeared in the form of an announcement from the flight deck: "Folks, we've got a little mechanical issue here......" I took another sip of champagne at my window seat and began to think about alternative plans when we got to to LAX.

Well, we finally got airborne several hours late but it was still a nice ride up in first on good old DL. Of course, due to our late arrival at LAX, I missed the last AA Eagle flight of the evening up the coast to SBP and home.

So I got a hotel room just down Century Blvd. and arose very early the next morning. I then caught the very first turboprop flight to my final destination. My office was located adjacent to the airport. And so I walked in the door at 7:55am on Monday to the inevitable question: "How was your weekend?"

"Oh, not too bad," was my reply.....

These days, I strictly travel as a full revenue passenger with AA being my first choice whenever possible.

Last edited by jlemon; Jun 15, 2013 at 10:47 am
Old Jun 15, 2013, 11:40 am

Programs: AA plat, SPG gold

Yea it's been so long since I last non-reved. Not enough free time to play around with a NSRA ticket.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 5:42 pm

Programs: NW WP
Not sure where to ask this, but has the pricing changed with USAirways buddy passes since the consolidation? The person I get them from is a retiree for about ten years and he doesn't know the current setup.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.