Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2015, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF)

The basics:
QF releases their awards from 353 days out to QF FF's and some ffp's (Amadeus CRS). So at the 331 days (~Sabre CRS) AA for award release there are scant seats left. They tend to add more much closer to the day of flight, if there are seats available.

2017.07.08 edit by FlyerTalkUserName: For US flights it has been my recent, but limited experience that QF releases award availability around 10-11 months from departure. Consider searching for one seat in F and one in J as well.

Consider alternate cities. E.g. Flights to BNE might be easier to book with AA miles than SYD or MEL, so adding a segment from BNE might give you a trip denied by connecting in SYD. You might have to remind AA reservationists, because they might not consider BNE.

Consider alternate airlines, such as HA from HNL, TN via PPT, FJ via NAN, etc.

N.B. Travel via Honolulu, or Asia (e.g. HKG or NRT), will require two awards.

aa.com occasionally may report "phantom availability" of premium awards on Qantas.

2017.07.08 edit by FlyerTalkUserName: Conversely, aa.com occasionally may not show available Qantas awards. Use BA's search tool, QF's search tool, or service like ExpertFlyer to see availability. Call in to ticket.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
BA only shows 3 cabins in output. When searching for award seats, make sure to select 1st class as cabin and it will show premium economy, business and 1st rather than economy, premium economy and business

It only displays flights where there is a seat in at least one cabin. If there is no availability on the flight in any cabin, then the flight will not be displayed.
The aa.com oneworld and Other Airline Award Chart may be seen here, for required miles and restrictions on connections.

Note: Reservation speculating, or tying up award space to "flip" in (or out of) Coupon Connection will not be tolerated. If you have an "extra" reservation, simply cancel or refund it. This will not be allowed in this forum either.

Qantas Routes
To be updated
SYD to LAX, DFW, HNL and YVR. SYD SFO restart delayed
BNE to LAX
MEL to LAX and DFW
SYD AKL JFK from 14 June 2023

Notes
Routes can change, so please check the schedule.
During low seasons some routes may not have flights every day.
Not all flights/routes have first class. Only the QF A380 aircraft have has first class.
QF have retired all B747's and sent them to the Mojave desert (July 2020)

+++++++++++++++++
/Moderator

Older posts have been archived to ARCHIVE: AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF)

Note: Older posts have been archived off to this thread

Updates & edits
20 May 2016 - JDiver
23 Sept 2019 - Mwenenzi QF routes added
11 Mar 2020 - Mwenenzi QF route changes
31 Jul 2020 - Mwenenzi QF B747 retired. More Covid-19 announcements from QF
07 Aug 2020 - Mwenenzi QF B787 to storage
12 Nov 2021 - Mwenenzi QF announcements 3 off
05 Mar 2022 - Mwenenzi QF announcements
12 Jun 2022 - Mwenenzi QF announcements removed (except 2) as AU fully open & QF flying AU<--->USA
24 Dec 2022 - Mwenenzi QF post CV19 announcements removed. MELDFW route added

THIS WIKI IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ADD VALUE.
Print Wikipost

AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2018, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jmoorfoot
QF50 does not exist, and Qantas does not fly SFO-MEL direct.
QF are starting MEL SFO from 1st Sept 2018.
May be an opportunity for premium awards, as most people only think of LAX-SYD
Old Jul 27, 2018, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Where did you find the availability?

QF releases more award space to its own members than to partner airlines, so it's unfortunately quite possible that those seats aren't bookable using AA miles.
Found on QF's site. Looks like BA can't even pull up the flight to verify...
cmorse likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Seeing decent US-AUS F availability next year - even 2 seats on the same flight. Booked two different routes on the A380 for two pax. You wont find anything on the AA site. Have to check QF, BA or expert flyer.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 8:37 pm

How to book on quantas using a miles

First, I can’t see any qantas flights on aa.com when I search using pay with miles or pay with credit card. I want to fly from Cid to Sydney and back in feb. I saw a great flight on Qantas that went from DFW to Sydney using the qantas web site, but I don’t have any qantas miles. Just aa. That flight Didn’t have to go through Los Angeles like all the aa flights do. But, have no clue how to book this using aa miles. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by dlwfarm
First, I can’t see any qantas flights on aa.com when I search using pay with miles or pay with credit card. I want to fly from Cid to Sydney and back in feb. I saw a great flight on Qantas that went from DFW to Sydney using the qantas web site, but I don’t have any qantas miles. Just aa. That flight Didn’t have to go through Los Angeles like all the aa flights do. But, have no clue how to book this using aa miles. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
If you see award availability on the Qantas website, but not the AA website, you should call AA and ask whether they see availability for that flight (the AA website sometimes has issued displaying QD award space).

However, you should also be aware that QF releases more award space to its own members than to partner airlines, so there's no guarantee that the agent will be able to book those flights.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 8:50 pm

Are the miles to fly qantas vs American the same for the same category? Thnaks
Old Aug 5, 2018, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by dlwfarm
Are the miles to fly qantas vs American the same for the same category? Thnaks
Not sure I fully understand your question, but you can see the number of AA miles needed to fly QF (or any other partner airline) here:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...ward-chart.jsp
Old Aug 22, 2018, 5:05 am

Very frustrating, QF,BA I can see the flight I want MEL-SYD in J, on AA absolutely no J award on my date.
When calling they can see other flights to SYD on QF but not mine, would prefer to fly the 8am service on the A330 than the 8:45am on the 737 :-(
Old Aug 22, 2018, 2:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Croupier
Very frustrating, QF,BA I can see the flight I want MEL-SYD in J, on AA absolutely no J award on my date.
When calling they can see other flights to SYD on QF but not mine, would prefer to fly the 8am service on the A330 than the 8:45am on the 737 :-(
If you have access to expert flyer - check on there and see whether it shows the flight as availablke
Old Aug 24, 2018, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
This might not be specific to QF, but a technical question regarding award changes. I understand you can fix up your routing for free as long as O&D stays the same.

To use my actual example, say CNS-BNE-MEL-HBA has U2, and MEL-HBA is also just U2. Meanwhile there is a nonstop CNS-MEL which is U1 (and CNS-MEL-HBA shows U1). If I book the two-stop itinerary and then later CNS-MEL gets more U space, is it possible to change while "holding" the seats on the same MEL-HBA flight, or will it revalidate downline inventory including the seats I'm holding on the flight.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by findark
This might not be specific to QF, but a technical question regarding award changes. I understand you can fix up your routing for free as long as O&D stays the same.

To use my actual example, say CNS-BNE-MEL-HBA has U2, and MEL-HBA is also just U2. Meanwhile there is a nonstop CNS-MEL which is U1 (and CNS-MEL-HBA shows U1). If I book the two-stop itinerary and then later CNS-MEL gets more U space, is it possible to change while "holding" the seats on the same MEL-HBA flight, or will it revalidate downline inventory including the seats I'm holding on the flight.
If the availability for the 2 stop itinerary is not based on married sector availability , then if you are holding CNS-BNE-MEL-HBA for 2 people and then CNS-MEL changes to U2 , then you can indeed make the change to CNS-MEL-HBA without losing the MEL-HBA sector

If the MEL-HBA sector is married to the BNE-MEL sector, then you may not be able to do it
Old Aug 25, 2018, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
If the availability for the 2 stop itinerary is not based on married sector availability , then if you are holding CNS-BNE-MEL-HBA for 2 people and then CNS-MEL changes to U2 , then you can indeed make the change to CNS-MEL-HBA without losing the MEL-HBA sector

If the MEL-HBA sector is married to the BNE-MEL sector, then you may not be able to do it
Yes, as of now all the inventory stands alone: MEL-HBA is U2, CNS-MEL is only U1, and CNS-HBA via BNE and MEL is U2 (pretty sure each segment has U space as well). My concern is that if I book the longer way, I'll remove all the U space on MEL-HBA by sitting in it, but it sound like I should be good to switch to CNS-MEL if it shows U2 by itself. It's just saving ~three hours in CNS, but my better half figures that me being an airline expert means we should get only the best routings

I also have the option of booking CNS-BNE-SYD-HBA, but this has a 717 segment and I'm not sure if it's a plus or a minus that I'm not locking in the MEL-HBA space. I assume when I change I will have to call?
Old Aug 25, 2018, 1:40 am

No major reason not to take the 717 over a 737 - I would just take whichever has the best timings now and go with that - you can get connections in Brisbane with a very short connection that do not make it that much longer than a non stop
Old Aug 25, 2018, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by Croupier
I ran into this exact same issue on the same routing and finally gave up. Not sure if it’s married segment or what. I never experienced award availability conflicts between EF and AA’s call center when booking long-haul QF awards. I did when trying to book MEL-SYD.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No major reason not to take the 717 over a 737 - I would just take whichever has the best timings now and go with that - you can get connections in Brisbane with a very short connection that do not make it that much longer than a non stop
All the possible routings are the same CNS-BNE connecting to either SYD-HBA or MEL-HBA, with almost identical arrival times. It seems like the flights at the extremes (CNS and HBA) are strongly banked, so if you miss the 13:00 bank to HBA you have to wait until evening. If stuck on a 2-stop itinerary, I would be down to discriminating by things like 717s (narrower than 737s) and rumors that the lounge situation in MEL is rather lousy right now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.