Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2023, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chrisny2
That's interesting. Cartera is, indeed, a Rakuten company. So, presumably that means that giftcards.com wasn't forced off for nonpayment or something, as you'd think Rakuten would then remove them from all of their sites.
An accountant could easily conclude that Giftcards is an overall money loser when looking at all of the administrative costs to Cartera of AA status chasers trying to get their transactions processed properly... Other cashback websites might not have the same volume of gift card activity...
chrisny2 and ZenFlyer like this.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 4:42 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond, UA Silver
That's interesting. Cartera is, indeed, a Rakuten company. So, presumably that means that giftcards.com wasn't forced off for nonpayment or something, as you'd think Rakuten would then remove them from all of their sites.
What never made sense to me was why didn't GC.com pull back a little from the offer and promos before just completely withdrawing. Until the end, GC.com was still running 3x plus $10 off. These have to be losers all around unless the breakage is high, which I doubt. They could have gone to 1x and sold a ton of gift cards more profitably these last few weeks.

And if gc.com was removed by the airline because it was clearly an offer that could be exploited easily, why do they let RM offers continue?
Amil and Mr. BoH like this.

Last edited by Cooper21; Mar 2, 2023 at 4:44 am Reason: sp
Old Mar 2, 2023, 5:36 am

Programs: AA EXP
Does anybody have any experience with Macy's and "Macy's Marketplace"? I bought three items on Macys.com (through the portal) on Saturday, did not notice at the time that one item was sold & shipped by a third party seller. The LP's for the first two items have credited to my account, leaving me currently 67 LP's short of EXP. The fine print on Macy's listing on the portal says "Not eligible on sales from partner sites that have their product listings linked to Macys.com." I'm guessing that's what the "sponsored" listings are, and I'm SOL on that part of the purchase?

I still have a couple other inquiries for missing miles under review, hopefully one of them comes through...
Old Mar 2, 2023, 8:00 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Yes - the miles were only paid on the initial membership fee. I actually like the products, though, and have ordered a few times. (Turned off any autoship and autorenewal.)
It's interesting because I think the T&Cs could be interpreted either way. My experience is the same -- I bought a membership and some products, and only the membership tracked. I am currently having an email exchange with customer service to get an official ruling/clarification.

What's annoying, though, is that if you do a product search on the AA shopping site, and Thrive Market carries the products, you get back results implying you could get the 20 miles/dollar on that purchase of the products. They really should turn that off if they're only paying out on the membership.
mwood19004 likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 9:54 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Question for the group...12400 LP's posted that were missing from December. I got this email. Maybe I am too dense, does this mean they count in 2022 for 2023 status? That's what should have happened and what I want. It says it goes by transaction date, but then counts for 2023 status.

Mar 1 2023 VERIZON

12/03/2022 Missing Online Transaction (ORDER # XXXXX)
$1.00 Pending 12400

You should now be able to find the 12,400 miles for this order posted to your account on that time frame. If you still cannot see the reward posted for this order after following the above steps, please let me know.

Please reach out to me for any further questions or concerns.

We understand that there might be a concern that the reward for an order will post after the February 28th deadline to achieve or maintain Status on your American Airlines account. Please note that American Airlines posts rewards to member accounts using the transaction date, so any rewards posting after the deadline with a transaction date on or before February 28th will still be counted towards your 2023 Status.

Please know that due to increased inquiry volume, we may be slightly delayed in responding to your questions. Please be assured that we are trying our best to get back to you as soon as we can.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 10:11 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Hertz PC; AA Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
Question for the group...12400 LP's posted that were missing from December. I got this email. Maybe I am too dense, does this mean they count in 2022 for 2023 status? That's what should have happened and what I want. It says it goes by transaction date, but then counts for 2023 status.
Yes, that's it. Will count toward the 3/1/23 through 2/29/24 status.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 10:47 am

Programs: AA PLT 1MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Gold, National Exec, Hertz 5-Star
I looks like Walgreens is back on the portal after a brief departure.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 4:14 pm

Quick question about AA eshopping portal. I'm going to start using it for anything I need, but was wondering if I already have an account at REI for example, but then use the AA shopping portal for REI. After clicking on REI button on the AA eshopping portal, can I log into my REI account and make a purchase, make a purchase, and get LP - or - am I not allowed to log in to REI? Thank you!
Old Mar 2, 2023, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by pilsn3r
Quick question about AA eshopping portal. I'm going to start using it for anything I need, but was wondering if I already have an account at REI for example, but then use the AA shopping portal for REI. After clicking on REI button on the AA eshopping portal, can I log into my REI account and make a purchase, make a purchase, and get LP - or - am I not allowed to log in to REI? Thank you!
Should be no problem. I click through from the portal to several stores, then login to the store account to bring up shipping/billing, etc. Home Depot, Bloomingdale’s, Saks, etc. Can also earn points/rewards that the store may offer.
Mr. Vker, Antarius and pilsn3r like this.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
So I've got a timing question and I wonder if anyone actually knows the answer since technically this type of scenario wasn't possible until now.

If I made a purchase in February which takes a very long time to post -- such as a hotel reservation for June, for example, which typically posts some weeks after checkout -- do I get the LPs towards the new year or the old year? I know stuff typically posts with the transaction date, which is in the past. But with the transaction date being so far in the past, and in fact in the prior qualification year, how does it work?

The earnings rate at the time I made the reservation was higher than normal, which is why I made it. I am certainly going to keep an eye on it and if the earnings rate goes back up and the room rate is still the same I'll cancel and rebook, just to be sure. But I thought I'd throw the question out there.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA - CK/Airpass
Originally Posted by pilsn3r
Yes - brands also don’t want to lose that data advantage from having you logged in. All that changes is that you have a referrer tag that ensures Cartera records the sale.

That said - certain coupons or other sales that might be tied to your user account can invalidate the offers on eShopping. Make sure to read the terms and conditions of the offer and that they don’t exclude any discount you might be looking to leverage.
BWISkyGuy and pilsn3r like this.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 7:28 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
FYI I can confirm that missing LP's from December finally posted after 5 inquiries and applied to 2022 pushing me over 75K and plat for this year. Now starting at 0 again and hoping MF posts in March.
karenkay and DSM Flyer like this.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Havek
I looks like Walgreens is back on the portal after a brief departure.
Well thank goodness. Successfully purchased giftcards at x2 points and showing up as pending.
Illinwu and mwood19004 like this.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
It's gonna be a long and painful road to 200-250k LPs...if we ever going to make it there...
Old Mar 3, 2023, 2:58 pm

Programs: American EP
Walgreens

Originally Posted by bagg
Well thank goodness. Successfully purchased giftcards at x2 points and showing up as pending.
If you can it would be great if you can let us know if they confirm posted. I read terms and they don’t mention gift cards not included but do say you can’t buy with one.
This would be great.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.