Community
Wiki Posts
Search

777 First vs Business - major differences? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2009, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
I think you will find a thread on that a comparison between the two on here.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 6:15 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
landrewstx1, welcome to FlyerTalk.

I've merged your post into the existing thread on the same issue.

The Flagship Suite is quire spacious and comfortable, and the seat both swivels and reclines, There is a leg rest that is "infinitely" adjustable, and when it reaches 180 degrees flat the seat also moves forward to mate with the Ottoman, making for a 6'6" completely flat bed. (The seat positions do not merely go to preset positions.)

AA says the Flagship Suite (standard on all 777-223ERs):
* Premium Cabin Duvet
* Amenity Kit
* Swivel seat - an industry first
* Electronic recline
* Electronic adjustable lumbar
* Winged-adjustable headrests
* Individual laptop powerport connections
* In-seat personal video system with personal viewing monitors and a variety of programming
* Personal reading lights
* Individual satellite telephones
* Generous underseat storage space
* An AA exclusive - Bose® QuietComfort® 3 Acoustic Noise Cancelling® headphones

Some video source: link (amenity kit different now and no slippers, iirc.) and link. Amateurish, but illustrative.

Photo links: link , link
Old Oct 26, 2009, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Thanks for the info. I know that the first suite would be so much better than business from a space and general comfort standpoint, however, all that comfort will be for naught if I am crippled by back problems when I arrive (DFW-PVG). Do you think the seat adjusts the same way that the business seat does? It looks like it doesn' t have the little thing to rest your feet on. I especially have to use the little popout foot rest thing since I am short and then can adjust that with the whole seat about a million different ways, keeping my back very happy (in the business seat). Any other back sufferers out there know what I am talking about and if I can adjust the first seat the same way?

Also, I see that most people prefer 1DG last, do you think it would be noisier or less than 4DG - those are the only choices left (two travelers). The FA seem to congregate near 4D and I would think that would be noisy but maybe you have the same thing at 1DG. Others have said 1DG is noisy from the galley but the galley at 4 is bigger.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I have recently faced this conundrum of J or F with miles. I went F.

I am in 1J mia to eze to and from in a few weeks

I read about the head in the aisle problem. If it lays flat why cant you just lay the other way with your feet in the aisle?

Seatbelts are the only thing i can think of.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by landrewstx1
For the seats on the first class suite, can the seat be adjusted the same way as the business where there are about 10 different settings you can make? THey look like they just mostly recline flat but do not have a foot rest with all the adjustments. If my feet don't touch the floor and have no foot rest then that is bad for me.
I think you might have some issues with the first class seat. It is meaningfully less adjustable than the NGBC J seat. Basically, the seat back reclines, and the legrest extends. There is no tilt mechanism/cradle position, as there is on the J seat, and I imagine that's what you find particularly comfortable given your back problems. There is adjustable lumbar support, but I find that usually doesn't do much. Additionally, there is no footrest, but what I usually do is extend the legrest fully up to the horizontal position and then you can sit with your legs straight out in front of you. Your feet should be able to rest on the ottoman, unless you're really short.

But I do think that the J seats themselves are actually better for relaxing in.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 10:36 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
For the seats on the first class suite, can the seat be adjusted the same way as the business where there are about 10 different settings you can make? THey look like they just mostly recline flat but do not have a foot rest with all the adjustments. If my feet don't touch the floor and have no foot rest then that is bad for me. One review said they are comfortable reclining but not all that comfortable sitting up. Has anyone flown in both who can give me a desciption of how the first class seat operates?
The adjustments are not the same; the business seat is a newer product and has more positions. The first seat is older with fewer adjustments, but it goes fully flat while the business seats are at an angle. Both have a separately-adjustable legrest that can be raised. You have an ottoman in first that you can use you prop up your feet, or if you recline all the way it becomes the foot area of the bed. I find the first seat to be very comfortable sitting up, however when you first board the pillow and blanket are often on the seat against the seat back, so if you leave them there then it might be uncomfortable to sit up, but to solve this just move them

Also, I have noted a lot of unhappy first class passengers due to level of service, it is perhaps just as good to stay in business and save my miles for something else if the service and comfort is that poor?
Don't believe everything you read here -- the service and food in F are better than in J.

I really don't mind the business seats - would just like the "spread out" room in first but since I"m traveling with a companion we may not like being so far apart.
I travel with my partner in AA F and we like it. We sit together in the center seats and can easily talk or share things.

It looks like it doesn' t have the little thing to rest your feet on. I especially have to use the little popout foot rest thing since I am short and then can adjust that with the whole seat about a million different ways, keeping my back very happy (in the business seat).
I'm not sure what popup foot thingy this is. You may like the ottoman in F very much. One option would be to book the two F seats, board early (they call F first) and try out the seats. If you think you'd prefer J seats, I'm pretty sure if you go to the business cabin you could find people more than happy to swap .

Also, I see that most people prefer 1DG last, do you think it would be noisier or less than 4DG - those are the only choices left (two travelers). The FA seem to congregate near 4D and I would think that would be noisy but maybe you have the same thing at 1DG. Others have said 1DG is noisy from the galley but the galley at 4 is bigger.
Between these two, I'd take 1 over 4. With 4 your head is closer to the galley.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 11:21 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
I thought 1 J was a bit noisy. The service is better than in J as previously posted, but even with ear plugs in, I had a hard time sleeping. This was a LAX-LHR flight. I may do row 2 the next time.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 12:09 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by jm62
I am looking to fly DFW to LHR on an award flight. F and J are available. A friend told me just book J as F is not worth the extra miles. I have the miles to burn so I am not worried about using the miles. I've done many searches here and the only difference between the two I can tell is the larger seat and the meals served on plates instead of trays. I see the seat as a plus and minus, more room but farther away from each other. I know a lot of you have pro's and con's for each seat. I only fly 757's and MD80's, never been on a 777 and my wife has never flown in First at all. Am I missing any perks between the two.

I did search the WIKI and other threads and got a lot of useful information, just wanted to see if I missed anything.
let me introduce you to my proprietary mathematical calculation of which to go for:

The base price for Business is 50,000 miles.

The price difference for first is just 12,500 miles, so you have an opportunity cost of just 12.5K miles to upgrade to First.

Business, you can always upgrade into with eVIPs off of dirt cheap fares (eVIPs have no value attached). But to use a SWU to First, a still quite expensive I fare must be purchased (likely around $5000 minimum).

The biggest steal in the AA system is that "upgrade" from Business to First for just 12,500 miles. That's going to be the cheapest upgrade.

Consider that the "upgrade" from Coach to Business on award tickets is 20,000 miles, which is quite close to the award upgrade from coach on cash fares.

Especially since you have too many miles to burn, go in First! You've already come this far, you may as well go all the way!

Note: I use the word "upgrade" in quotes to indicate what it effectively is. I consider the price difference to be an upgrade method...
Old Oct 27, 2009, 12:28 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by chanp
I thought 1 J was a bit noisy. The service is better than in J as previously posted, but even with ear plugs in, I had a hard time sleeping. This was a LAX-LHR flight. I may do row 2 the next time.
If the cabin is wide open and I'm traveling by myself, I prefer a window seat in 3, but but a window seat in 2 is also terrific. I agree that 1 can be noisy, but I was responding to a question about choosing either 1 or 4, and between those, I'd take 1.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 12:53 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
I'll be flying F from NRT to ORD in Feb. with Mrs Paulchili.
I can see why 4 D&G are not good, but what is wrong with 1 DG (also too noisy?) Isn't it easier to get out from 1 DG than the others? Are rows 2 or 3 center better (why?).
Thanks
Old Oct 27, 2009, 1:22 am
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP 14M, UA-1K, AS-MVP Gold, DL-PL, CO-PL, EK-Gold, BA-Gold, HH-D, SPG-PL
Smile

Originally Posted by RTW4
I have flown LAX-LHR many times in F and J.. IMHO.. THERE IS NO COMPARISON... F ALL THE WAY.. The personal suite is worth all the miles... I also feel that the meal service is far superior...
+1,

I totally agree, there is no comparison. Who wants to be in second place when u can easily be in first?
Old Oct 27, 2009, 4:15 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by bniu
let me introduce you to my proprietary mathematical calculation of which to go for:

The base price for Business is 50,000 miles.

The price difference for first is just 12,500 miles, so you have an opportunity cost of just 12.5K miles to upgrade to First.

Business, you can always upgrade into with eVIPs off of dirt cheap fares (eVIPs have no value attached). But to use a SWU to First, a still quite expensive I fare must be purchased (likely around $5000 minimum).

The biggest steal in the AA system is that "upgrade" from Business to First for just 12,500 miles. That's going to be the cheapest upgrade.

Consider that the "upgrade" from Coach to Business on award tickets is 20,000 miles, which is quite close to the award upgrade from coach on cash fares.

Especially since you have too many miles to burn, go in First! You've already come this far, you may as well go all the way!

Note: I use the word "upgrade" in quotes to indicate what it effectively is. I consider the price difference to be an upgrade method...
+1. Sound math and logic.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 4:40 am
BLG

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
I'm in the "no comparison" group. For me F is far more comfortable. Never have to climb over anyone. I far prefer the true lie flat bed (although I do find it a bit hard, like to put an extra duvet underneath). I have found the service to be consistently excellent. The food, although "the same," is better. And I like the Flagship lounges. All in all a very good expenditure of a few miles.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bniu
Generally I agree with your observations, but it should be noted that you no longer need to spend $5,000 to get into F on a paid ticket + upgrade. I fares usually start in the $2,200-2,600 range r/t, to Europe. For mileage upgrades (not SWUs) there is also an $1,100 r/t co-pay.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA, DL, CO, UA
Earlier today, revisited an upcoming itinerary jfk-eze-jfk for March 2010, which I had booked close to the 330 day window in off peak economy (20K ow). At the time, was happy enough just to score 21 a,b,h,j both ways (much less J OR F). It looks like AA has just switched equipment on the route from 2-class 763 to 3-class 777. After reading the enthusiastic reviews of the 777 F product on this thread, decided to take the 500K plunge for four rt F tickets. What’s another 340K?! For those interested, checked other dates in March and while B/F MileSAAver shows limited availability at 50K ow, F is wide open at 62.5K ow. (First post, so apologies in advance if this is old info.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.